"I can feel your anger. It gives you focus."

YanksfanJP

'Channeling' my anger helped in football for me, but I was on defensive line so it was mostly a help in hitting the **** out of someone to get to the ball.

Pretty much this, only I was on the wrestling team. However, that focus was always short-lived. The anger might have made me stronger in the short-term, but I wasn't paying attention to my fatigue, and eventually my anger would do me in.

No.

In reality, Anger does the exact opposite. It clouds your judgment and makes you make rash and dangerous decisions. There's a reason that in Martial arts we are taught to try to make our opponent angry if you can... since that will create an opening you can exploit.

The idea of "anger giving Focus" applies to the Dark Side... which doesn't exist in reality. In SW, Anger feeds the Dark side and allows you to focus it's power more.

is this based on real life experience or 2nd hand experience or what star wars tells you?

For me it's "real". If I get really angry and rage, I won't be able to do much, if right afterwards I just swallow it and concentrate, I usually do quite well (in FPSs mostly :p).

But I prefer to just have a good team, so I don't rage. :D

No.

In reality, Anger does the exact opposite. It clouds your judgment and makes you make rash and dangerous decisions. There's a reason that in Martial arts we are taught to try to make our opponent angry if you can... since that will create an opening you can exploit.

The idea of "anger giving Focus" applies to the Dark Side... which doesn't exist in reality. In SW, Anger feeds the Dark side and allows you to focus it's power more.

The point of making someone angry on purpose in the context of a fight, is to increase the likelihood of them making an exploitable mistake by making them lose control, which is surrendering to their anger.

Using it brings a different outcome. Stronger, faster and often more focused strikes & counters. The trade off is tiring more quickly, which then leaves the person vulnerable if they haven't already finished the fight.

Marked increases in heart rate and blood pressure, higher body temperature, further increased adrenaline production, these (and other factors) provide a really quite incredible increase in performance, but only for a limited time. After that, you're experiencing quite bad physical and often mental fatigue.

The whole basis for anger feeding the Dark Side is based on reality. In fact, the whole philosophy of both the Jedi and Sith are very real applications, so long as a person isn't stupid enough to think that they'll be able to perform superhuman feats or have access to powers like a comic book character.

Whilst the Force may not exist, the effects of giving into your anger are very real.