Amazon stopped selling digital subscriptions and cartel coins

Lyralove

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW, they did fix the PayPal issue so if you have that, you can pay for stuff here without handing over your credit card number.

As for Amazon - I do think there is a significant chance the pulled the digital packs because they are moving toward the next expansion, and changing up the artwork and such.

However - I also think, when I consider it more, that they may also have had issues with the digital codes. The last few times I bought paid time or cartel coins from Amazon, I had to re-enter my credit card number and the purchase was delayed for about two hours for "verification." This has literally never happened with anything else I've ever bought on Amazon - and I'm Prime and they have quite a bit of my money - including expensive items, other digital items like music, etc. In fact even with these purchases, if I bought something else with the SWTOR time, the rest of the order would go through at once and only the SWTOR time purchase was held back for verification.

So - perhaps there was something shady happening with the codes that necessitated taking them off the other websites.

FWIW, they did fix the PayPal issue so if you have that, you can pay for stuff here without handing over your credit card number.

As for Amazon - I do think there is a significant chance the pulled the digital packs because they are moving toward the next expansion, and changing up the artwork and such.

However - I also think, when I consider it more, that they may also have had issues with the digital codes. The last few times I bought paid time or cartel coins from Amazon, I had to re-enter my credit card number and the purchase was delayed for about two hours for "verification." This has literally never happened with anything else I've ever bought on Amazon - and I'm Prime and they have quite a bit of my money - including expensive items, other digital items like music, etc. In fact even with these purchases, if I bought something else with the SWTOR time, the rest of the order would go through at once and only the SWTOR time purchase was held back for verification.

So - perhaps there was something shady happening with the codes that necessitated taking them off the other websites.

Interesting...sounds logical to me.

I never had trouble with digital codes from them, and why would a change in artwork matter for a digital code? I'm really hoping it really is about that, an expansion or whatever, but it's pretty weird that they'd even temporarily suspend sales of digital codes over that.

Or... enough people are buying cartel coins and subscription time from the SWTOR site directly that it had become an unnecessary detour to buy it on Amazon. Are we all collectively forgetting we can also buy those things from the Store on this site which is frankly the easiest and direct way? I wouldn't be surprised if 90% of the players bought their sub time and cartel coins directly from this site.

Also, do you think SWTOR would enter in a promotional contract with NVIDIA again like they did now if they were shutting down anytime soon? Think, think before you start assuming the worst. What is more likely? The devs invested a lot of resources, time and money into new soft and hardware for server merges to shut down the game a few months later? It is more likely the devs are silent because they are working on the as of yet unofficially confirmed expansion rather than that they are shutting down.

Again, think before resorting to doomsaying.

Which would be hella annoying. I despise giving my CC information out to more companies than absolutely necessary. If I have to give it to EA, I'd probably just not play SWTOR.

Some companies are starting to disallow digital sales through other sites. I know that you can't get anything for FFXIV on Amazon. At least not the 'Crysta' which is the equivalent of cartel coins here. Steam gift cards are no longer available on Amazon either and I believe Blizzard may be next. They would rather you purchase them directly from their site for a set price. Edited by spectreclees

60 day time cards are at here in amazon for me https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Republic-60-Day-Pre-paid-Time/dp/B0067G55XS?th=1

Not digital though is the physical card

Yeah.. those are all independent merchants selling those. I do not trust them.

Amazon appears to have wiped out almost everything for SWTOR on their web site, which is odd given the upcoming holiday season. I did notice about a month ago that the 180 day game time codes were no longer available. Kind of sorry I only purchased one 90 day game time code last month.

Eric really needs to come in and comment on what is up with digital game time codes drying up all over the internet. If that is planned and deliberate and they just want us buying direct from swtor.com.. then just freaking say that and end all the mystery so players can adjust their plans for game time :rolleyes:

Edited by Andryah

Amazon appears to have wiped out almost everything for SWTOR on their web site, which is odd given the upcoming holiday season. I did notice about a month ago that the 180 day game time codes were no longer available. Kind of sorry I only purchased one 90 day game time code last month.

Eric really needs to come in and comment on what is up with digital game time codes drying up all over the internet. If that is planned and deliberate and they just want us buying direct from swtor.com.. then just freaking say that and end all the mystery so players can adjust their plans for game time :rolleyes:

Yes, a dev comment that lets us know what is going on would be very welcome. I looked at a recent purchase and realized the thumbnails of the download cc code's are different. Don't know if it's an older pic or a new one, but it doesn't look like any past releases and I'm sure it was the KotFE/Vitiate pic before now. When I click on the link to the product the Vitiate pic is in place, not the thumbnail pic.

https://imgur.com/1acqU9J

edit; it's probably just an old pic, nvm

Edited by Neuroetry
adding information

Some companies are starting to disallow digital sales through other sites. I know that you can't get anything for FFXIV on Amazon. At least not the 'Crysta' which is the equivalent of cartel coins here. Steam gift cards are no longer available on Amazon either and I believe Blizzard may be next. They would rather you purchase them directly from their site for a set price.

Yeah... it would not surprise me that this was deliberate on the part of EA..... as they do not want to split profits of sales with internet merchants. If they force you to the games web site.. then they set the price and do not need to discount to please aggressive merchants like Amazon.

Highly likely Bioware Austin didn't know about this and it was done from EA high command. Some kind of damage control with fans of SW Battlefront 2 not liking gambling crates which SWTOR players adapted to because it was indirectly implied a 'store' was necessary to save the game back in 2013 along with F2P.

Keith probably had Eric on the phone all day to Redwood City but wasn't able to get a definitive answer thus we are left here to speculate.

Some companies are starting to disallow digital sales through other sites. I know that you can't get anything for FFXIV on Amazon. At least not the 'Crysta' which is the equivalent of cartel coins here. Steam gift cards are no longer available on Amazon either and I believe Blizzard may be next. They would rather you purchase them directly from their site for a set price.

They sell to Amazon wholesale or about 50% of the price you pay for the card. They sell direct to you retail, so they make more money selling direct. As long as the site is selling 180 day subs, I don't think the game is being shut down soon. When the 180 days subs go away is when you have to worry.

They sell to Amazon wholesale or about 50% of the price you pay for the card. They sell direct to you retail, so they make more money selling direct. As long as the site is selling 180 day subs, I don't think the game is being shut down soon. When the 180 days subs go away is when you have to worry.

That's exactly what I just said lol. Anyway, I will agree on your last part that until you stop seeing the option for 180 days of sub time the game won't be going anywhere.

Very likely it is something perfectly reasonable which is also why the devs don't respond to this. Frankly, if I were a developer I wouldn't either because what, this is the gazillionth thread that hints at doom and gloom for SWTOR? I'll give it to the doomsayers though, they're one patient bunch. Because eventually one day in the future they will be right and the servers will shut down (like 5 years in the future or more) and all the doomsayers will chant in chaotic ecstasy "we told you!".

But no, the disappearance of the SWTOR stuff from Amazon is barely anything noteworthy so I am not surprised it has been commented on by the devs. Very likely it's that they want sales to happen through this site and nowhere else. Maybe the Origin store would be an exception since it's owned by EA. Frankly I am surprised people were buying their game time and cartel coins anywhere but this site. I was under the impression all was going through here.

Well, if I didn't have some error or another when trying to purchase from the SWtOR site every time, I'd be less annoyed by it, they don't like my card, or most of the cash gift cards I use for the site. That, or there were major issues during Black Friday. As it is... I might not be *able* to pay them if they don't have amazon cards.

Well, if I didn't have some error or another when trying to purchase from the SWtOR site every time, I'd be less annoyed by it, they don't like my card, or most of the cash gift cards I use for the site. That, or there were major issues during Black Friday. As it is... I might not be *able* to pay them if they don't have amazon cards.

Have you tried calling them about it? Or your bank to check why SWTOR doesn't accept your card? Maybe you could see if you'd be able to buy sub time from the Origin store?

Very likely it is something perfectly reasonable which is also why the devs don't respond to this. Frankly, if I were a developer I wouldn't either because what, this is the gazillionth thread that hints at doom and gloom for SWTOR? I'll give it to the doomsayers though, they're one patient bunch. Because eventually one day in the future they will be right and the servers will shut down (like 5 years in the future or more) and all the doomsayers will chant in chaotic ecstasy "we told you!".

But no, the disappearance of the SWTOR stuff from Amazon is barely anything noteworthy so I am not surprised it has been commented on by the devs. Very likely it's that they want sales to happen through this site and nowhere else. Maybe the Origin store would be an exception since it's owned by EA. Frankly I am surprised people were buying their game time and cartel coins anywhere but this site. I was under the impression all was going through here.

I'm not interested in hinting at doom and gloom. I am more interested that my preferred payment method is down. I've had issues in the past with cancelling sub time and having it not cancel. I like the use of digital and physical time cards you get exactly what you pay for and there can be no mistakes in payments.

I'm not interested in hinting at doom and gloom. I am more interested that my preferred payment method is down. I've had issues in the past with cancelling sub time and having it not cancel. I like the use of digital and physical time cards you get exactly what you pay for and there can be no mistakes in payments.

Exactly. The 4th or 5th post down made it seem abnormal to not put your card on file on this site (if they accept it) and when they auto-renew oh well (as that's what a card on file usually does). A sizable population pays for subs with a third party method. If one of the five people working in Austin would chime in and tell us a new card is in the works this thread would probably go away. .... ....

Again?

It's really really really happening this time

really

stop laughing I'm serious!!!!

and Of course they are rubbing their hands with glee at the prospect over at Massively...it's so silly how agenda based game journos are, but no more so than the hate machine of the forums.

Edited by Jett-Rinn

The decision didn't come out of Austin. It came down from EA. I expect something along the lines of "We aren't going to sell this way anymore because we aren't making the margin on it we want. Direct sales gives us the full amount, so we'll do that."

60 day time cards are at here in amazon for me https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Republic-60-Day-Pre-paid-Time/dp/B0067G55XS?th=1

Not digital though is the physical card

The problem with that is:

1. Not through Amazon. Not everyone is comfortable going through the other sellers that are on amazon.

2. Cost more than the online codes or even more than what it would cost to buy it from target or some other store that still sells them.

Some of us do like getting the online codes from amazon. Also some people may be getting amazon gift cards regularly and in return buy the time cards that way.

The problem with that is:

1. Not through Amazon. Not everyone is comfortable going through the other sellers that are on amazon.

2. Cost more than the online codes or even more than what it would cost to buy it from target or some other store that still sells them.

Some of us do like getting the online codes from amazon. Also some people may be getting amazon gift cards regularly and in return buy the time cards that way.

I'm one of those people, I have an amazon credit card, plus I get tons of giftcards for Amazon, lol :p