Black Lightsaber

Durstilla

I love watching someone with an education argue with someone who isn't very educated.

And yeah, in the realm of science, black isn't necessarily an absence of light. It's merely light that our eyes cannot detect; i.e: ultraviolet, or infrared.

If you're going to argue science, get your science right.

We are discussing the visible spectrum. UV and infrared are invisible to the eye, if I were to look at them, I would not see anything, but that's not to say I would see black. During the daytime, UV rays come downs from the sun and burn your skin, but you can still see the world around you. If a lightsaber were to emit such rays, it would not appear black, it would simply be see-through.

I assure you I am adequately intelligent and educated. Whens the last time you went over black holes and light spectrums? I did yesterday.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who said that a black lightsaber would have to "emit" light?

Easiest way to create a black "light"saber would be to have the contaiment forcefield of the plasma "absorb" light or at least reflect very little. (just like your black shirt)

Thus a black lightsaber is actually "simpler" than a colored one.

To add a bit more nonsense physics to the magical glowstick... a black lightsaber would also be a lot hotter than a normal one, since the absorbed would be transformed into some othrr form of energy. (heat usually)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_(physics)

This is what plasma is. It is a state of matter that is ionized. Lightning is an example of plasma. Have you ever seen black lightning??

Furthermore, If lightsabers WERE somehow made to absorb the light around it, then why would the outside glow a diiferent color? The color would be absorbed by the plasma underneath.

Furthermore, who would have the technology to create such a device that is far beyond current canonical star wars technology?

FURTHERMORE, for what purpose would some invent such a device? Why would anyone BOTHER to make such a device, that would have no other purpose than an aesthetic appeal?

FURTHERMORE, in what way would the CRYSTAL allow the plasma to absorb light? If anything it would have to be a modification of the lightsaber itself

Black is the absence of color (i.e.: the absence of visible light).

It is not a color.

That is all, you may return to your arguments.

Basically what I am saying thank you. Arguing about non visible light seems kind of pointless in a debate about the color of lightsabers. Black is the absence of visible light

It is indeed a bit silly to argue actual science in a science fantasy but still for the sake of arguement (and because it's kind of fun :p):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_(physics)

This is what plasma is. It is a state of matter that is ionized. Lightning is an example of plasma. Have you ever seen black lightning??

Furthermore, If lightsabers WERE somehow made to absorb the light around it, then why would the outside glow a diiferent color? The color would be absorbed by the plasma underneath.

Furthermore, who would have the technology to create such a device that is far beyond current canonical star wars technology?

FURTHERMORE, for what purpose would some invent such a device? Why would anyone BOTHER to make such a device, that would have no other purpose than an aesthetic appeal?

FURTHERMORE, in what way would the CRYSTAL allow the plasma to absorb light? If anything it would have to be a modification of the lightsaber itself

Considering the technology used to create lightsabers I'll quote a small portion of wookieepedia (granted not the most trustworthy source but it'll have to do)

<The first lightsabers came into being when Jedi combined advanced offworld technology with a forging ritual, learning how to "freeze" a laser beam. By the time of the Duinuogwuin Contention around 15,500 BBY, their studies and researches with this "frozen blaster" technology yielded success; they developed a method to generate a focused beam of energy that arced circumferentially back to its source, creating a controlled energy circuit and leading to the first portable high-energy blades.>

(here's the link: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightsaber#History)

If -all- light did indeed arc back to it's source, no light would eventually reach our eyes and we would see no colour. But wo do see lightsaber colours so we can only assume that some light escapes this arc.

Would it therefore not be possible that more advanced lightsabers allowed less (but not all) light to escape thus rendering the center black (no light reaching the eye) while the periphery retains some colour (depending on the crystal)?

This ^^

There are so many holes in the SW cannon as related to science and the laws of physics that we really just need to leave science and physics out of it.

Small example, light speed travel is impossible according to the laws of physics as we know them. While physics does allow for traveling faster than light in some ways, such as bending space and time around the vessel, actually moving an object with mass at the speed of light cannot be achieved, because the faster an object moves, the more massive it becomes. To reach the speed of light any object with mass would require an infinite supply of energy (which as far as we know does not exist). At the speed of light, that object would reach an infinite mass which would cause a singularity (a black hole).

Star Trek would actually be a lot closer to what could be possible in space travel with the "Warp Drive."

So no, we couldn't just push a lever and watch the stars blur as we move our ships at light speed.

I really spend zero time thinking about this when I play or watch the movies. Whatever happened to make believe?

Sorry to get off topic though. Black saber crystals are kewl :p

I'd personally rather see the black/white crystals in game be some kind of rare crafting schem, with rare hard to obtain mats.

Actually if you can transfer matter into a high-energy vibrational state, more like a structured waveform, it has said to be possible. To be completely honest mainstream science really is so far behind what is actually locked up in the hands of contractors like lockheed, northrup grummond etc. and the unacknowledged, and even some acknowledged special access programs, aka. the secret black budget projects of our banker cabal funded shadow government. They just admitted this week that they've had underground magnetic levi-trains that can go 10,000 miles per hour since 1975.

Edited by Darthdubstep

I made this thread to argue whether the "black" lightsaber is canon or not.

I personally think it shouldn't be canon for two reasons; this saber only appears in the force unleashed and it goes against the established lore of how lightsabers work.

In TFU we had the black crystal but it never showed up in cut scenes so I believe that it was never intended to be real.

Second, black is the absence of light so a lightsaber cannot have an absence of light.

I look forward to your rebuttals and support against/for me.

I read an article awhile back that Lucas signed off 'The Force Unleashed' as canon to the story. Since you can obtain a black crystal in that story, which is now canon, logic dictates that a black lightsaber is canon.

I read an article awhile back that Lucas signed off 'The Force Unleashed' as canon to the story. Since you can obtain a black crystal in that story, which is now canon, logic dictates that a black lightsaber is canon.

Actually, that was the black crystal was only a part of gameplay. Canonically, Vader's apprentice had a red lightsaber and then switched to blue.

Also, I hate the fact that he made it canon :/

Both white core and black core make equally no sense.

If something is giving off a color light. There is 0 reason the core would be a different color. You would see the color it's giving off everywhere. It would just be a solid color

So who cares it's just a game.

Edited by Lt_Latency

Why are people still discussing this? One lightsaber-ish thing appears in CANON. It wasn't exactly a normal lightsaber but theoretically that means it's most likely possible for a lightsaber to be black.

So basically, it's basically canon. Not 100% since the thing wasn't your normal lightsaber. But that probably means it's possible.

If They ever Add Naboo as a questing world We better get a quest Allowing us to kill Gungans

We will slaughter them like animals. Dumb, stupid, ugly animals and then blast the planet out of orbit....it's the only way to be sure we got them all (yes, I borrowed some of that from Aliens)

I made this thread to argue whether the "black" lightsaber is canon or not.

I personally think it shouldn't be canon for two reasons; this saber only appears in the force unleashed and it goes against the established lore of how lightsabers work.

In TFU we had the black crystal but it never showed up in cut scenes so I believe that it was never intended to be real.

Second, black is the absence of light so a lightsaber cannot have an absence of light.

I look forward to your rebuttals and support against/for me.

a lightsaber is a magical weapon from the future why cant i haz black crystals D:

The light saber is not light but it emits light so would you see a black saber? Would I like to see a black saber yes but, I am also fine with out it. If they added it 90% of players would end up using it.