Vote to stop hacking before it destroys SWTOR! and an example...

NoaFlux

I just posted a thread on creating an IN GAME VOTING SYSTEM to stop/intimidate hacking (link below). I encouraged anyone to vote, and also thank Bioware for their hard work.

I failed to mention how this would work so here it is...

A possible example of the voting system

IF 15 players voted against a given player in a given week. That player would be temporarily penalized. The option should be universal too, I should be able to vote against my teamates as I don't want to be playing with a cheater. The reason it's important to lay this out over the course of a week, is to nicely give the hacker time to stop hacking, and to play fair. It also gives them time to clear up any misunderstandings if someone votes against them (their should be an option to remove your vote). Lastly it just intimidates them more, making them less afraid of Bioware...and more afraid of teammates.

Please vote here and thank Bioware for their awesome game and hardwork!

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=466506

Edited by NoaFlux

I don't think any company is going to do something that allows players to penalize other players. The company is going to want to be the ones to determine if a player gets in trouble. Otherwise there is just way to much room for abuse.

I keep seeing these "rampant hacking" posts but I really dont see it. Granted I dont pvp all day long but I am on the fatman and really dont see hacking. I think the majority of "hacking" claims come down to "zomg!!! I lost!! hackzars!!!" If hacking is really that bad bioware can see that and can adjust accordingly, but I have yet to see it. In fact most of the "hacks" I see people complain about are normal abilities or tanks with healers and people are too stupid to kill the healer and wonder why they cant dps the tank down who has 4 healers on him.......stupidity is not hacking and deserves to be painful.

Not if this was done right. There are thousands of possibilities of how to make this work.

Another idea is that for someone to get 1 TOTAL vote...they would have to get voted against by multiple parties in one given day...as to limit being attacked by a clever team.

Also it would be very hard to vote, only those who have been playing all day would be angry enough to try it. A given player would really have to keep their eyes open...I saw a couple people hack this week...but I couldn't even see the name over their head when it happened...so it would take a lot of effort...the player would have to forfeit his playing...in order to track someone down because he has to keep a good eye on them.

**But your caution is valid. Yet something needs to be done, because myself and others are getting extremely frustrated and are about to give up. I think I win maybe only 10% of the time and I am 100% convinced it's because of cheating. I see it everyday and I go look online to double check it, and it's usually true.

Just so you don't think I'm a "sore loser" there have been times where we lose all the time...but in the game we at least have a fighting chance...lately we are slaughtered right at the start of the game and don't even have a chance.

Edited by NoaFlux

I'm all for stopping cheating and hacking if it is happening but here is your problem. Say you have someone in a big guild and they don't like someone, you could have your entire guild report this person. You could have your entire friends list report the person. I think people that are really bad at PvP would be reported just for having low numbers.

I am all for something that signals BW to look in to a player if people accuse them of cheating but not any system that automatically penalizes them.

No, your idea is ludicrous. An average sized guild could ban the entire server, or target a specific player they do not like.

It is never a good idea to give GM powers to players, not to mention that you have not provided 1 ! example of hacking with proof in your entire crusade.

I suggest you get evidence and post it on forum and/or open a ticket to report said player for investigation.

Or better yet, L2P and stop calling hacks at everything you see and do not yet understand, or because you are outmatched by the other player /team

Edited by Dmasterr

lol how can you not see hacking? here's what I saw in just this week.

Oh I forgot...your probably what they call a "troll" and your just trying to put out the Myth that hacking doesn't exist to protect yourself. Well I'm going to point it out anyway.

1. In Huttball someone dissapears and reappears with ball in his hand.

2. Our turret energy dropping in Novare Coast when two turrets (nor the equivalent) were received. ( i have to double check this one it only happens occasionally...but a wise hacker wouldn't make it obvious...only slightly noticeable :)

3. 0 energy being taken from players (apparently this is the easiest to catch..and to sent to Bioware as evidence) as you double check this in your SWTOR log.

4. Speed hack (my own team was doing this and i didn't appreciate it.

5. Preventing CC or in my case Force Wave...preventing from being knocked over at all or off ledges...or preventing it all together by a counter attack (some of this is debatable here...but this is one of the most commonly posted apparent hacks that I have seen...). I know it may be a misunderstanding..in some cases.

6. The 11 player trick....

and the list goes on...

That's just the start of it.

There are an unlimited # of possibilities of how to make this work properly. There would obviously have to be ways to prevent large groups from doing this....

thats why i mentioned...over a given course of time....and by different guilds or groups...

Hey it's either DO something like this. Or LOSE my money when me and many others stop playing all together.

Edited by NoaFlux

Oh I forgot...your probably what they call a "troll" and your just trying to put out the Myth that hacking doesn't exist to protect yourself. Well I'm going to point it out anyway.

2. Our turret energy dropping in Novare Coast when two turrets (nor the equivalent) were received. ( i have to double check this one it only happens occasionally...but a wise hacker wouldn't make it obvious...only slightly noticeable :)

3. 0 energy being taken from players (apparently this is the easiest to catch..and to sent to Bioware as evidence) as you double check this in your SWTOR log.

5. Preventing CC or in my case Force Wave...preventing from being knocked over at all or off ledges...or preventing it all together by a counter attack (some of this is debatable here...but this is one of the most commonly posted apparent hacks that I have seen...). I know it may be a misunderstanding..in some cases.

and the list goes on...

Conclusive video or screen shots or stop wasting everyone's time.

If anyone is new to being upset over hacking be proactive by doing this;

Download FRAPS (http://www.fraps.com/), a video recording system, and record the hacks. Than you can use the link posted above and send your video to it.

Also look over the video carefully, and point it out carefully as to make it easier for Bioware.

Email and post your findings.

Thanks.

Edited by NoaFlux

I have seen someone using the speed hack once and that was in illum a few months back, but other than that I can't say I have come across anyone I would say was hacking anything to the point it was obvious. Searching google will yield hacks but the core problem is people will vote against others if they simply do not like them or got beaten by them or spoken down by them.

AGAIN "OVER THE COURSE OF TIME" the people will build votes. SO they can't get attacked by a guild etc. And only one vote a game (after a total of in game votes) would prevent this. Also the person would only be penalized by not queuing with those individuals for a day's time (this is undecided but it would be dramatic).

The purpose of this is just to intimidate to hackers. The penalty would be very minor, and voting would be difficult to do and take a lot of effort.

and the list goes on...

Shows how much you know about pvp.

You'd better not get on the wrong side of a guild that has more then 15 members :p. Seriously now, it would be nice to have an easier way to flag a player for an investigation but on the other hand if they make it too easy to do so then they'll have an influx of flags (many not founded and opinion based) and they'll have to spend time and resources doing triage work. I think the system is OK for reporting offenders.

Caps are just so people see this....not cause I'm angry...:)

ALSO THE VOTE COULD BE BACKED UP BY A VIDEO WHICH COULD BE SENT TO BIOWARE. They could finalized the vote. This would still make it much easier on them...making it easier to stop hacking...by creating this quicker solution of voting.

Thanks for everyones help! And don't forget to thank Bioware! :D

Edited by NoaFlux

I have never seen hacking on my server. I have been accused of hacking twice for ridiculousness. I have had my teammates accuse the other side of hacking, countless times, for idiotic reasons. (DPS hack is my favorite) I do not trust the community. There is also a guy on my server who every game curses and insults his teammates, this would be used against him. He may be a jerk but he is not a hacker and should not be banned for hacking.

Does the OP think that if 15 people report a person for hacking it will be ignored? I see no reason to change the system. If you have hacking on your server, point it out to fellow teammates, and ask them to report, then it will be investigated. If you are the only person noticing hacking you may have no idea what you are talking about. You have not pointed out any problems with the current system if the same 15 people /report a hacker.

Edited by richardya

Richard has a point.

We should just encourage our teamates to report this to Bioware :)

That's always a good option:) but I'm trying to help Bioware. What will they do with your report? Not much unless you send a video etc.

That's exactly what I'm saying too. This could still be a report...but a voter backed report with video..making it easier for an already busy company to make a decision..and pick out the reports with the highest amount of votes.

Edited by NoaFlux

the guild voting problem is preventable :)

15 of us leave the guild and vote now what? Or, just grabbing 14 other people on my faction who'd be happy to get rid of those really good players, now what?

Video proof? SWTOR has quite a high system usage, running a video recording program would prob kill my poor lil computer. Majority of my mates have the same prob, does that mean we can't report people? I know me and the few dozen people I know don't represent much of the community, but I can't imagine we're the only ones in this situation. Your system just alienates us from being able to take a hand in the prevention of hacking.

Caps are just so people see this....not cause I'm angry...:)

ALSO THE VOTE COULD BE BACKED UP BY A VIDEO WHICH COULD BE SENT TO BIOWARE. They could finalized the vote. This would still make it much easier on them...making it easier to stop hacking...by creating this quicker solution of voting.

Thanks for everyones help! And don't forget to thank Bioware! :D

I respect the fact that you want to do something about hacking, but you haven't given a single viable option as to dealing with it that's better than the current system (sending a ticket and having BW investigate each person on a case by case basis, when they can be be bothered anyway).