Bioware needs to learn a bit from SWG Commendations

The current system is SO frustrating.

First I want to say I do NOT have a loot entitlement mentality. I'm totally fine working for and earning what I get. But this current system won't let you do that.

I've lead over 10 HM Maelstrom runs, mostly with friends but also organizing and leading pugs. the past 10 runs, there have been 8 consular boots (No consular was in the group ever) and 2 smugglers.

I got tired of leading and organizing so I joined a group that had another trooper in it and the boots FINALLY drop for trooper, and the other guy gets it. Now I know there is such a thing as luck of the roll but at least SWG had a system that after you've run at MAX 5 of the same instance you can then buy that heroic piece.

This current system is horrible. I've run every instance at least 10 times each and now can finally buy tionese gear. This makes grouping bad cause why in the world would someone want to join a group with another of their class in it? Since there is no hard and fast 'beat X instances X amount of times and you can buy a piece of gear' it makes doing HM's incredibly frustrating. Usually I just end up with a fancy repair bill and some crystals.

Again, I'm fine with the difficulty and the challenge, but the loot drops/Comm rewards need to be reworked. My suggestion would be in line of SWG's where each instance drops a specific instance token. Like the Hard Mode False Emperor drops a False Emperor Token.

Example: To buy the Columi Chest Piece you must first acquire:

The False Emperor Token x5

Maelstrom Prison Token x3

Directive 7 Token x5

This system would allow ppl hope if they continually the lose a roll or if loot doesn't drop. Because in 5 runs, if they continue to lose rolls, they can just buy a piece.

Thoughts?

Edited by Mac-Attack

Back when I played SWG there were no instances. If your referring to NGE, that was not SWG I'm sorry. Though your overall idea is a good one, it does get frustrating trying to get a certain gear piece that never wants to drop.

Back when I played SWG there were no instances. If your referring to NGE, that was not SWG I'm sorry. Though your overall idea is a good one, it does get frustrating trying to get a certain gear piece that never wants to drop.

Yes I'm sorry I was referring to Post NGE with their Heroic Encounters. Axkva min, tusken king etc. Pretty much the same thing as our Hard Modes.

You didn't have to worry about drops (as much) or if another of your class was in the group, because in the end, everyone got a step towards their goal. Bioware should mimic this. This system won't reward bad players, just players with either bad luck on rolls, or suffering from this current bad loot system.

Edited by Mac-Attack

Honestly, I think that system is still frustrating. Right now we have tons of different currencies. IMO the best way to handle this is to simply have two currencies. Credits, and Galactic commendations.

Everything is available from commendation vendors. The price is adjusted based on what tier the gear is. Simple and effective, without the RNG problem.

Ultimately, bioware wants you to play as long as possible. They can do this without a convoluted, crappy system that punishes casual players.

Honestly, I think that system is still frustrating. Right now we have tons of different currencies. IMO the best way to handle this is to simply have two currencies. Credits, and Galactic commendations.

Everything is available from commendation vendors. The price is adjusted based on what tier the gear is. Simple and effective, without the RNG problem.

Ultimately, bioware wants you to play as long as possible. They can do this without a convoluted, crappy system that punishes casual players.

Having specific tokens drop would encourage ppl to do more FPs though.

I see (and lead) so many Taral V/Maelstrom runs but barely any Esseless or D7. I wish we could get just a nod from a dev that they've in fact read this suggestion...

Having specific tokens drop would encourage ppl to do more FPs though.

I see (and lead) so many Taral V/Maelstrom runs but barely any Esseless or D7. I wish we could get just a nod from a dev that they've in fact read this suggestion...

Specific tokens do drop from hardmode FPs... what are you talking about?

The system punishes you regardless of your status as a player. Casual, hard core, something in between doesn't matter.

I've run every Flashpoint repeatedly. Not once did a SINGLE piece of gear drop for a Jedi Sentinel. I was bloody frustrated with this system before I even got to 50.

And then Operations do the exact same ****. Sometimes you'll get gear, sometimes you'll get absolutely *********** nothing.

Edited by MasterKai

I've run Black Talon, False Emperor, Boarding Party and The Foundry on hard mode more times than I really want to count. For all my time I've gotten Columi Bracers and Chest, energized boots and gloves, and enough tionese crystals and commendations to buy a pair of pants. Add to that the fact that my only loot out of our guild's first Op was an ENERGIZED helm. Why does a set who's only distinguishing factor is that it's exactly the same as the tier 1 set but doesn't give set bonuses even exist?

Your suggestion isn't terrible, but we could honestly do better by just changing crystals to commendations, and cutting the price for the Tionese gear by like 20%. WoW had badges of heroism and those worked fine, and then switched over to justice/valor points and those worked alright too. It's just dependent on the numbers.

Also, our tank has done literally ages of PvP, and has almost two full sets of champion gear for his trouble. Maybe PvP is just the way to go to gear up for PvE?

I totally agree.

With this current system and prices, just to get a Tioneese main hand weapon, I have to do god knows how many Hms it's not even funny. The funny thing is after doing that ridiculous number of Hms I'll prolly have a full set of columni. The prices of gear should really be lowered.

Crystals drop a lot I'm ok with that but commendations? Really? Why do I have to do ridiculous amount of Hms to gather enough commendations to buy a tionese weapon which by the way will become useless because I will most likely have gotten the better version of it from pvp bags six times already.

Edited by Requimo

That is part of the problem. The random drops. Everyone works hard in a 4 man HM or 8/16 man ops. Why do only a few get the reward? If anyone is off the ball it can cause big problems. Then, for only a few to get a reward while the rest have to hope for the RNG to bless them or wait weeks to gather enough commendations just doesn't seem right. I think that causes part of the rage as well.

IMO it's really upsetting to have to run the same content more than 5 times to get one piece of gear. While I enjoy the presentation in this game's content, I can see it getting stale running it too many times. On the other hand, I also don't want the equipment given out like candy. It should feel like I earned it. Some people get completely left out when it takes a whole team to make something happen. Everyone should get a reward for the hard work it takes to complete flashpoint or OP.