View Single Post

Shariva
04.27.2019 , 02:37 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by phalczen View Post
That's not correct.
Teams are organized based on the following factors:
  1. Games played across your entire legacy
  2. the total amount of requisition currently invested in the five ships on your bar
  3. How long you have been in queue
  4. If you are in a group or not
Win/loss rating does not contribute to matchmaking currently, as far as we can tell and as far as Bret Hoffman has described.

It has been hypothesized, by Drakolich, that there may be a "cap" to the number of games played across the legacy, such that a player with 1000 games played is considered equivalent to someone with 10000 games played.
OK, thanks for that. I stand corrected. Yet I have to say that these criteria got me more puzzled then the "Battle Record". How many battles I played across my entire legacy is nice to know, but doesn't mean squat. Because I could leave the group before the battle starts, and as such never have flown in it, but it will still count as a lost battle and therefore played. This means that the number of battles played across your legacy means exactly nothing. Even with a hypothetically cap in place.

Bullet point 2 has a couple of implications: first, that players who have a filled 5-ship bar will be considered higher "skilled" players in terms of matchmaking than players with fewer than 5 ships; and that players who have completed ships, meaning they have upgraded every single component available on that ship to max, will also be considered "higher" in skill than those who have simply mastered a ship (upgraded at least one component to maximum).
Spoiler
This also has me baffled, but does make me now adjust my bar with the ships on it. I have three ships mastered and the rest I couldn't care less about. Yet, the amount of requisition spent on that ship, doesn't say anything about my skills in flying said ship. It only shows what tier the components are on said ship.

Assuming no one is grouped, if people in queue have been waiting a while and equally long, but are a wide variety of "skill" levels, then the matchmaker will construct teams as best as it can based on bullets 1 and 2.
Everything that has been explained so far comes down to two business rules that can be regarded as highly questionable in respect to the mentioned "skills". Both of these business rules, games flown over your legacy and the amount of requisition spent, are tracking statistics that mean exactly squat in determining what kind of a pilot some is. It only tracks what tier the components can be on various ships. It could be me, but I see a huge difference here.

Obviously, true skill is more than just a measure or function of bullet points 1 and 2, but that's what we know about matchmaker post 5.9
In that respect we agree with each-other and have a hunch others will agree as well. The question now becomes; what can be regarded as statistics that actually say something about the skill of a player? Is it number of kills? Kill/death ratio? Number of assists? Damage dealt? A combination of all of the before? Does it have to be factored per ship type (a gunship can do a hell of a lot more damage then a scout)? With all the data that is being tracked, surely something should be possible.
The crystal is the heart of the blade. The heart is the crystal of the Jedi.
The Jedi is the crystal of the Force. The Force is the blade of the heart.
All are intertwined. The crystal, the blade, the Jedi. You are one.