Tank pvp questions

Hesko

Hey guys just came back to the game like many have. I am having a hard time figuring out how to gear my pvp tank. It seems a lot like the dps gear with a tank hybrid set up and others have full tank build and full tank gear. Whats more common in ranked que and what are some of the builds your playing with. Also what augments should we be using in both sets full tank and dps hybrid?

Thanks a lot any help would be appreciated.

go hybrid immortal/vengeance with a focus on endurance. I for one would go for the dps gear so you can also be able to dish out some pain.

The reason you should concentrate on endurance, is because we have 2 cooldowns that are based on the amount of HP we have. And a 30% heal every 45 seconds is pretty considerable if you have around 24-26k HP

I agree; go for the dps gear. Yes, you lose a lot of your mitigation stats, but they really don't matter to much in pvp anyway. The hybrid spec will give you a great balance of damage output and survivability with endurance stacking.

There is an option to run a full Immortal build, which is what I do. To do this though, you have to understand your role and not worry about trying to top the damage charts. I run my normal tank spec, which includes 1/2 from the ravage talent in rage tree and 2/2 of the smash talent (sorry cant remember names right now). My job is simple; I am there to harass and disorganize the enemy as much as possible. Using taunts, intimidate, smash, my no channel choke, etc., I keep the enemy off-balance providing my team the ability to pick apart the attacking or defending force fairly easily. It also allows me to harass their healers while keeping mine protected.

I can tell you there is nothing more annoying than a good Jugg running this kind of role in pvp. Not saying I am good, but I have seen the effects first hand in a few matches, and it has been the tipping point for a win more than once.

Quick clarification, since I am a returning noob who before leaving got himself stuck on the war leader train, do you guys run the vindi or war leader LS? I assume you also still run war leader shield over vindi generator?

Quick clarification, since I am a returning noob who before leaving got himself stuck on the war leader train, do you guys run the vindi or war leader LS? I assume you also still run war leader shield over vindi generator?

The elite hardcore tankers would suggest differently but my advice to any competitive pvp jugs is this:

-total dps gear...everything.

-use strength/power augs, or a combination. Example my relics have power augs, rest are strength.

-save up comms for power generator. Shield generators are for pve imo, but if you have the time/comms, get both lol

With the free respecs, it's incredibly efficient to swap over before a warzone begins.

I'll continue to grind and remod for dps because the inherent jug hybrid spec mitigation abilities, trump any specific tanking mods.(deafening defence,invincible,sonic barrier,unstoppable,sabre ward,and of course wz adrenal lol). If you start saving and purchasing tank pvp gear.....you are wasting yer time.

Really depends on how you want to play if you want to play tanky dps by all means listen to the people telling to take dps gear and ignore your tank stats. If you want to be the guy that can solo hold a node against multiple people long enough for your team to get reinforcements in to you or the guy that is the last person to die in voidstar giving your team time to respawn use tank gear. Either way you go you're going to run a similar spec though, it'll be a hybrid between immortal and vengeance. Many tanks like to take more vengeance then immortal so they get impale. I personally run a 23/16/2 spec in full tank gear, basically this spec relies on you knowing your role which is to live a long time and disrupt your enemy. You go up to 21 in the defence tree to get your second stun since it is very helpful bit of utility to have I put an extra two points into shield chance for the 4% boost even though shields are generally bad in pvp it is invaluable when you come up against the few specs that use white damage (also a dev has stated your shield is supposed to effect guard damage taken and even though I don't think it currently does once they fix that shield will become more more important). I go up to 16 to get the free smash, and the two points go into reducing smash's cooldown and damage. Basically your role is to disrupt, keep your healers alive and put your armour debuff on as many people as possible. Edited by Lintman

If you want to be the guy that can solo hold a node against multiple people long enough for your team to get reinforcements in to you or the guy that is the last person to die in voidstar giving your team time to respawn use tank gear.

...totally debatable and situational. The soresu/shien hybrid spec provides these options, not the tank mods.

I can appreciate what you suggest however saving comms for dps gear is the sensible option, for obvious reasons.

Are shields getting re-vamped? If so, that would definately validate tank gear. As it stands, acquiring dps gear is the best way to go period.