PVP lag - enough is enough

Tharka

Is there any word on BW acknowledging this issue or even fixing it (unlikely on both accounts)

The basic issue is that entering combat in PVP causes the game to lag out until that WZ is over or you get booted for afk'ing.

I have taken an image of the ping issue in game and my connection during one of these lag outs via pingplotter. Images arent that big but you can see on Pingplotter my ping between hops is on 20-30 ms approx

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/6935/pingplottercut.jpg

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/5365/swtorlag.jpg

Is there any word on BW acknowledging this issue or even fixing it (unlikely on both accounts)

The basic issue is that entering combat in PVP causes the game to lag out until that WZ is over or you get booted for afk'ing.

I have taken an image of the ping issue in game and my connection during one of these lag outs via pingplotter. Images arent that big but you can see on Pingplotter my ping between hops is on 20-30 ms approx

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/6935/pingplottercut.jpg

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/5365/swtorlag.jpg

Strange I havent ever seen a signifcant increase in lag at all during pvp..

wonder why you are suffering from it?

It's not just me, a few other in the guild complain about it too, and other in pvp. sometimes half the grp lag out and we lose instantly :(

Ive not completed a WZ in 3-4 weeks now

ya i know its not just you..ive seen alot of people complain, but i have seen ALOT of people compelete alot of warzones without issue.. I just dont get how somepeople can have an issue while others don't.. kinda strange lol

When will people realise that it has NOTHING to do with the game or Bioware (unless maybe your Australian who suffer from high ping). It has everything to do with your computer and/or ISP provider. Try turning down you graphic settings.

We know there was an issue with Ilum PVP when this was popular as large 50 vs 50 battles would task even a supercomputer, but basic WZ have zero lag for the most parts..

When will people realise that it has NOTHING to do with the game or Bioware (unless maybe your Australian who suffer from high ping). It has everything to do with your computer and/or ISP provider. Try turning down you graphic settings.

We know there was an issue with Ilum PVP when this was popular as large 50 vs 50 battles would task even a supercomputer, but basic WZ have zero lag for the most parts..

I am on a rather ****** laptop and I dont get lag at all in a warzone. I get a bit of crappy ping rates.. 20-30 hitting a high of 40-50 but I dont get lag, I do jut fine in pvp..

Oddly enough my wifes quad core has about the same ping rate my dual core laptop does , which i find funny, and likely a reason why is I read somewhere that the game does not utilize the quad core and only uses 2 of the processors, which basically stunts any quad core and if the quad cores are stunted who knows what ripple effects could happen through the user system which could cause lag.

I have worked in networking for the past 10 years, I can tell you this is nothing to do with my net connection. All other programs work fine, SWTOR works fine as long as its not PVP. Even a duel causes the lag out, all my trace rt programs show no faults with my connection.

I'm fairly sure it's 'in part' a game mechanic that is causing problems with certain providers. that would make sense, anyway. (as in you have 'bad ping' over all, but entering warzones actually shows it)

I have an avarage ping of 160~200 when I play on an East Coast server (I'm in Europe)... my ping isn't really higher in warzones and I usually don't have much of a problem.

but sometimes it .does. happen that I get huge lag spikes in warzones, especially huttball. it happens to rarely that I'm 100% sure it is .not. my computer. but when it happens it happens the whole warzone and is fine again when I am back on the fleet/questing.

actually, thinking about it, I might aswell take notes of when and where it happens and see if there is a pattern. I do know my provider has a history of being crappy ;)

Hmm i know friends that can play BF3 max settings on a 64 player map and yet they get issues in war zones, clearly it must be there computer...

I have a 100 MBit glassfiber broadband connection and still got a lot of lag in warzones, while anything non warzone related runs constantly smooth.

It is not always, but in about 8 out of 10 games it is pretty high (though not to the extend that i get kicked for afk).

I don't really play that much PvP, so it's not a big deal for me, but i see where the OP is coming from

Edited by statistx

• 4 months later...
I was on a dual core 8500gt, fibre optic broadband, low settingsI could play the game but pvp would hang and dc. So it is clear that pvp is more challenging than the game for a pc. So I upgraded to a gtx 460, AMD quad core. Now I get lag in pvp even on low settings. I also play BF3 which is fine. There is bioware post which suggests deleting the arena cache file, I will do that , but today pvp has lag.

I only lag in EV and that was before I cooled my system down some. No lag at all now. I would suspect the issue is in your system or connection to the internets. Shortly after 1.3 I had some PvP lag and I know a lot of people did too. After one of the recent patches I've gotten no more than a spike here and there that I know EVERYONE got, but its been pretty minimal. May happen once out of 20 WZ's.

Sounds like the problem is yours to fix.