Is PVP really that bad?

REDLION

PvP combat in swtor has too many abilities that remove control of your character. It's not fun having so many stuns and such long cooldowns on CC breakers. Dying without being able to fight back is just poor game design and not fun. If they decreased the cooldowns on CC breakers and interrupts it would definitely help things imo.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, comparing to most other games, SWTOR PvP is more balanced than most. The variety of game types/choices are still small, but considering its a young game new battlegrounds and warzones and such may be implemented in the future.. and certainly making small, subtle differences between racial selection may add a bit of more flavor.

PT/marauder burst? Don't whine about 'burst' when you've never been hit by an Aim+BU+nuke or BU+Assasisn's Strike attack and literally get one-shotted from full health in CoH/V.

Healers are tough to take out? Ever fought a druid or priest 1vs1 with a melee class in WoW? Stealth classes are too powerful? Don't complain about that when you've never fought a Stalker in CoH/V.

Stunlocks? Try fighting a capable WoW rogue and see how you like to spend at least 8 seconds mezzed before combat, a 6 second stun, another 4 second stun, mezzed again for around 2~3 seconds, and then repeat the whole process every 20 seconds or so. Fat lot of good DR does. Or try looking back the rosy pink days of Warlocks in Burning Crusade and see how they dot dot dot fear fear siphon siphon... and you literally die while running around in circles, total loss of control, not being able to do anything.

Frankly, SWTOR is better balanced and quite well designed, to say the least.

Now, if there's one thing that SWTOR is REALLY BAD in terms of PvP, that is the number of whiners in the forums.

Literally the most surprising thing ever for me, when I first entered this PvP forum, in hopes of seeing tips, strategies, class discussions as any other PvP forum for other games would have... was I couldn't find any. Its literally pages and pages of these horrible, whiney people throwing tantrums and threats and complaints...

The nature of people playing this game are its largest weakness, IMO. :rolleyes:

Like this guy ^^^^

You are who the OP is talking about... nothing but negative comments and yet.... here you are.

Please tell me how you're only here until your sub runs out and then it's off to Guild Wars 2. LOL!

Might be playing both =) I love teh raiding scene here =) BIG robots and lightsabers.

PvP's fun too I kinda miss keep fighting and thats what I mainly do in GW2.

Edited by vsalcedo

This makes me wonder... how sad is the world *without* SWTOR, that you can't find something more entertaining to do with your time than to "add feedback to the devs"...? Go find another game, go have fun with your life.

So trying to improve something we had hoped to enjoy and spent money on is sad? What's sad is that you can't grasp the idea that people want to help improve a product that should be one of the greatest games on the market and doesn't even come close to realizing its potential. I spend less than 30 mins. on the forums a day looking for "signs of improvement," it doesn't take long and I don't have to spend a lot of time engaged in this activity. But I keep finding moronic posts like this one and I'm regretfully coming to the conclusion that it's a lost cause.

To answer you OP, yes it really is THAT bad. It's so godsawful I would rather re-read old books than play this game.

I know it's not perfect, but damn. It ain't that bad. A lot of us know there are some issues, but most of us are still having fun. I find myself asking, "is there ANYTHING, you do like?" Honestly, I wish most of you would just move on and find something else to do. Clearly you hate the game.

WE GET IT!...so why are you still here?

Explain the PVP aspect of this game? Wait on fleet for one of four warzones to pop. Now thats some hardcore PVP action right there.

I know it's not perfect, but damn. It ain't that bad. A lot of us know there are some issues, but most of us are still having fun. I find myself asking, "is there ANYTHING, you do like?" Honestly, I wish most of you would just move on and find something else to do. Clearly you hate the game.

The main issue with PvP is that 60-70% of all PuGs are complete r e t a r d s..

Edited by Missandei

The main issue with PvP is that 60-70% of all PuGs are complete r e t a r d s..

No, the main issue is just plain stupid and poor design. TIme and time again these idiots developers keep designing pvp with gear gating and putting all the people together in warzones. All this does is make extremely one sided matches. It's lazy and sloppy design.

Until these idiot developers figure out that pvp should be about skill instead of what crap you are wearing, these games will continue to fail.

Oh and one more thing, the excessive amout of snares and stuns ruins the game as well, nobody likes to be snare/stun locked to death just to respawn and repeat it.

Also keep the retarded "you're bad" comments rolling over the forums when most of you are preteen twits that faceroll your keyboard and think of yourself as a super player. Make sure to put that on your application when trying to get hired at Wal-Mart, I'm sure it will help you out.

I like it.:cool:

EDIT: Nvm.

Edited by Boyana

I just got 1000+ expertise and I am still wearing el cheapo armor.

But when I am in a team of players that are aware enough, I die less often than at let say level 48 where I was in slaughter mode with my Sentinel. When you play in a real team the game just flows and strategy is king (queen?).

Yes if have great fun PVP wise.

Disclaimer: SWTOR is great at 78% :csw_jabbapet:

There are a few good posts to this thread BUT I think it is even more simple than the explanations given for the mass of QQ.

Once upon a time saying mind blowingly stupid things got you a slap in the face. Now you can safely sprout any garbage from the safety of an anon avatar and claim your 2 seconds of fame/infamy.

Until people are held responsible for their actions, including forum posts, those same posts can not be given much if any credibility at all. It is very likely future alien historians will attribute the downfall of human civilisation to the loss of the personal responsibility Gene.

Edited by Elkirin

No, the main issue is just plain stupid and poor design. TIme and time again these idiots developers keep designing pvp with gear gating and putting all the people together in warzones. All this does is make extremely one sided matches. It's lazy and sloppy design.

Yes, but... when i see an equally geared teams and majority of the folks just go mindlessly for zerg-kill-DPS-yay-wow! What design should WZ have to be to make a good players from this people?

Thats why Huttball sucks..- where other Wzs are mostly DPS kill-fest, Huttball requires the real teamwork and STRATEGIC thinking to win. And a lot of people just lack the ability to think.

For how many times ive seen the sniper sat comfortably and shooting people and no DPS trying to kill him..

For how many times ive seen the marked healers comfortably doing their jobs while our dps-ers mindlessly engaging maras, assasins etc...

And to mind that in majority of WZ i find myself the only one who marks the enemy healers..

Marking is so simple - bind the keys and help your team to define the target priority.. but no - most DPS-ers are cant think broader than «zerg! kill! rush! kill! ololol!»

Edited by Missandei

most players terrible in pvp.

only 4 warzones.

i played like 1500 wzs from release. so its boring.

balance is ok.

only 4 warzones.

i played like 1500 wzs from release. so its boring.

balance is ok.

Lol.. The football (or how some infidels call it - «soccer»), have only one field.. But somehow it is still the most popular sport game in the world.. strange, isnt it?

The pvp is not that bad it is very fun but... It doesnt take long to come to the realization that you need BM augmented at a min to compete. Also if you want to win every game we all know the formula. Get 8 ppl who have a great deal of hours invested in pvp, set them up in vent, and give them FOTM classes, and they will win every game until another similar team comes along in which case it will be a tossup. They can fix that problem by limiting burst on 2 classes, but for some reason they just don't see what the players are seeing. For the experienced pvper who is putting up great numbers and getting consistent mvp votes whats next? There is nothing, you just keep going. There needs to be a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

It doesnt take long to come to the realization that you need BM augmented at a min to compete.

1. Most every MMOG out there requires spec/stat investment to be comeptitive. If you think SWTOR's bad, you should see the difference between a fresh lv85 and a fully farmed lv85 in WoW. Compared to the gruelling process of farming all the PvE gear, and then farming for PvP gear, and then participating in raids for weeks to get a specific high-end PvE piece you want, and then taking part in Gladitorial arenas to get the specific high-end PvP piece.... SWTOR gear farming is relatively pleasant, straightforward, and short.

Also if you want to win every game we all know the formula. Get 8 ppl who have a great deal of hours invested in pvp, set them up in vent, and give them FOTM classes, and they will win every game until another similar team comes along in which case it will be a tossup.

2. You make it sound as if there's something wrong.

Are you saying that:

(1) A PuG full of Inexperienced and unlearned newbies should be able to defeat people with superior experience?

(2) People who didn't work as hard or long enough, should be able to defeat people who took all the time and effort to customize their gear to optimum performance?

(1) is L2P, (2) is prior investment. People who learned to play better, and invested their time and effort to prepare themselves for combat, should be easily defeating those who cannot play as well, nor have as adequate preparations, and rightfully so.

They can fix that problem by limiting burst on 2 classes, but for some reason they just don't see what the players are seeing.

The reason's simple. Performance difference from team composition is something that should be fixed/overcome through the efforts of the players, and not something the developers should intervene with.

For the experienced pvper who is putting up great numbers and getting consistent mvp votes whats next? There is nothing, you just keep going. There needs to be a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

For any real, experienced PvPer, the fight itself is the pot of gold.

They live in Valahalla. Those who ask for rewards everytime, do not.

The reason's simple. Performance difference from team composition is something that should be fixed/overcome through the efforts of the players, and not something the developers should intervene with.

I do not understand this point. So you should learn to fix/overcome how to defeat a team of PT and Marauders when your team has OP and Merc dps? Thats just dumb and the whole point of FOTM. The fix is to get those people to roll a healer or not bring them with. Yes, this is something the devs should fix and not the players.

The proof that PvP is really that bad is in the firing of the devs, the quick merging of servers and free to play in less than a year.

If PvP were good (not even great) it would have sustained this game a little bit. Other games lean on PvP and are very successful.

So Yes there is a problem with PvP obviously. People would (and have) flocked to MMOs that offer great PvP experiences....this game went from the biggest launch in MMO history to the fastest decline in MMO history.

I do not understand this point. So you should learn to fix/overcome how to defeat a team of PT and Marauders when your team has OP and Merc dps? Thats just dumb and the whole point of FOTM. The fix is to get those people to roll a healer or not bring them with. Yes, this is something the devs should fix and not the players.

The fix can be done to individual classes to tone down the amount of people selecting it. However limiting team entries??

That is simply a bullcrap of a solution.

Who are you to be the one to determine what the ratio of each classes should be in the game? Some kind of class number Nazi or something? I want to be with my friends with my choice of class... or maybe I want to make unique team compositions just for shi*s and giggles. That's entirely our choice as a paying customer, and you think that should be stopped because your bright idea on fixing balance problems is to limit number of certain classes?

What if I say I frickin hate whatever class you play, so your class should simply be abolished from the game? I'd love to see you agree to that. If you want things to be decided arbitrarily upon your own whim, no reason I should not be able to get the same.

The fix can be done to individual classes to tone down the amount of people selecting it. However limiting team entries??

That is simply a bullcrap of a solution.

Who are you to be the one to determine what the ratio of each classes should be in the game? Some kind of class number Nazi or something? I want to be with my friends with my choice of class... or maybe I want to make unique team compositions just for shi*s and giggles. That's entirely our choice as a paying customer, and you think that should be stopped because your bright idea on fixing balance problems is to limit number of certain classes?

What if I say I frickin hate whatever class you play, so your class should simply be abolished from the game? I'd love to see you agree to that. If you want things to be decided arbitrarily upon your own whim, no reason I should not be able to get the same.

I am not, the players are. When is the last time you saw a dps op or merc? Like 1 in 100 or more. Then were they geared and have a lot of experience.

Like i said i do not understand your point. To me you dont even understand what FOTM means.

Some kind of class number Nazi or something?

Rule 4

It is inevitable. :D

Oh, and @OP:

It's not that bad that it couldn't be saved, but at this point (F2P, rampant sub losses, etc) it's pretty far gone. The terrible FOTM imbalances are pretty insane atm, ranked has all but died off (predictably) and the engine can't handle any kind of "war" between the factions (world pvp). That and there's greener pastures ahead where there is no grind, grind is terrible for pvp, and balance is far far better along with the capability for actual world wars (with better balance having 3 teams instead of 2 where one-sided population imbalances throw it all out of whack). Not to mention the higher skill-cap involved with active blocking, active dodging, no auto-aim-auto-turning bs, etc.

Edited by Vaipyr

I am a Rep sawbones I just hit 50 I have the blue pvp set and 3 pcs of bm gear. I have played about 30 games today and won 3. This is not fun. People hit me for 4-5k and my heals are almost worthless. I am lucky to hit a 2.5k heal. my hots don't do much either. Everybody seems to have some sort of stun, interrupt, or knockback. Some even seem to have a bunch of them. There does not seem to be any kind of dim returns. I don't get why we lose just about every single time. I'm talking about big losses. They quickly win. I have seen many times where 6 of us have been killed and are waiting behind the door to get back in game. I have seen 4 ppl try to kill one person and they not die. I have seen one person beat two. Things are not right. It does not seem very fare or fun. I keep playing in hopes that someday I will have enough gear to win a few.

The proof that PvP is really that bad is in the firing of the devs, the quick merging of servers and free to play in less than a year.

If PvP were good (not even great) it would have sustained this game a little bit. Other games lean on PvP and are very successful.

So Yes there is a problem with PvP obviously. People would (and have) flocked to MMOs that offer great PvP experiences....this game went from the biggest launch in MMO history to the fastest decline in MMO history.

People always flock to new mmos *** are you spouting about. Decline has to do with a new generation of players who want everything at a fast pace and not hard to obtain. Or wait people who are just tired of mmos period and don't do research about the new products. You ether hate SWTOR or you love it same as WoW. I happen to play both and pay for both.