Assassin with Electro Staff?

dermitni

Hi!

Let's just assume I want to build my assassin based on an Imperial Guard, including the usage of an electro staff instead of a double-bladed lightsaber (because I really, really hate those). I know that for some reasons (which I don't understand), one can't use most of the abilities with the staff but only the (double-bladed) lightsaber -- funny that a Sniper can snipe with a normal blaster rifle though... :p

Anyhow, would it be possible to make and play such an assassin? Should I concentrate on strength then to booster my standard attack or is still willpower the damage base value?

Cheers, Niko

Willpower does damn near everything for Inquisitors. That said you will not be able to play your Sin successfully with an Electro-staff. Which is pretty *********** dumb.

I want a staff that's like the Double-bladed weapons from KotOR, those were the shizz.

Hi!

Let's just assume I want to build my assassin based on an Imperial Guard, including the usage of an electro staff instead of a double-bladed lightsaber (because I really, really hate those). I know that for some reasons (which I don't understand), one can't use most of the abilities with the staff but only the (double-bladed) lightsaber -- funny that a Sniper can snipe with a normal blaster rifle though... :p

Anyhow, would it be possible to make and play such an assassin? Should I concentrate on strength then to booster my standard attack or is still willpower the damage base value?

Cheers, Niko

I play a 'sin with a similar idea. I wear adaptive armour that looks like trooper gear, and I carry a electro staff. Certain abilities will not work, and you must carry a twinblade to change stances. Also Discharge and Maul will not work. The only skill tree ability that won't work is Low Strike, but all other attacks work while using a electro staff. So Shock, Force lightning , Thrash , Lacerate, Assasinate and Overcharge saber work just fine. Spike ,Wither ,Voltic slash and Death field won't be effected by not using a saber. If you are Darkness spec'd you will not loose anything you will miss. Madness and Deception spec'd 'sins loose the above abilitys of maul and discharge. That is more crippling to deception versus madness.

Hope that helps.

Thank you for your answers so far. :)

Ok, so I'll concentrate on the Darkness tree and willpower, then. I mean, I already carry a double-bladed lightsaber with me to activate certain abilities because they do stay active even after changing back to the electro staff.

[rant]

But what is the reasoning behind this electro staff discrimination? I mean, when you play e.g. a Jedi Guardian you can use ALL your abilities with lightsabers AND vibroswords and if you play e.g. an Imperial Sniper you can also use ALL your abilities with sniper rifles AND blaster rifles -- so why are electro staves not valid for so many assassin/shadow abilities?

[/rant]

Nevertheless, thanks again; I'll try the suggested approach and will let you know how it works out in the higher levels. :)

Cheers, Niko

• 2 weeks later...

So... After reaching level 26 I thought it was time for a small update. :)

This is my electrostaff-wielding assassin, Vidaar:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzOj5T1oQEbVVjg2eUczZkwwY2s/edit

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzOj5T1oQEbVcENvZVRac2N4d1E/edit

And here are my selected skills so far:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzOj5T1oQEbVSXVldG5CSTY0NGc/edit

The only three abilities that I cannot use until now are:

- Maul (needs a double-bladed lightsaber according to tooltip)

- Discharge (needs a double-bladed lightsaber according to tooltip)

- Lacerate (this was a surprise as it is not stated in the tooltip that it would need a double-bladed lightsaber)

Charging the electrostaff is working as long as a dbls is equipped for the charging itself and weapons are swapped afterwards.

But, apart from that, I managed fine with a combination of Slash, Thrash and my stealth and electric force abilities. So fine indeed that for many foes I didn't even need my healing companion (or any companion at all for that). Until now at least... The only real downside with this limitation in usable abilities is, that killing even the lightest trash mob takes a looong time (compared to my vibrosword-wielding Juggernaut that can use all his abilities with that weapon...). And I really had looked forward to being able to add Lacerate to my rotation but it seems, the tooltips are not as reliable an information source as I thought... :(

Cheers, Niko

But, apart from that, I managed fine with a combination of Slash, Thrash and my stealth and electric force abilities. So fine indeed that for many foes I didn't even need my healing companion (or any companion at all for that). Until now at least... The only real downside with this limitation in usable abilities is, that killing even the lightest trash mob takes a looong time (compared to my vibrosword-wielding Juggernaut that can use all his abilities with that weapon...). And I really had looked forward to being able to add Lacerate to my rotation but it seems, the tooltips are not as reliable an information source as I thought... :(

Cheers, Niko

What's the point of grabbing Dark Ward, I thought Charges required DBLSs?

Honestly as far as cosmetics go, whatever floats your boat but until they change/fix it - you're putting yourself at a huge disadvantage come later. As you say, killing light trash mobs takes a while but when you start doing strongs or elites of same level you'll be in for a world of hurt. Furthermore, should you group in FPs you're doing them a diservice because you are not fighting at optimal capacity... that is unless you plan on being level 25 doing Black Talon.

What's the point of grabbing Dark Ward, I thought Charges required DBLSs?

Nope, Discharge requires a DBLS, but the charges work just fine apart from that. With Dark Ward for example, you can see when it steals life from your foe and gives it to you.

And regarding Flashpoints, PVP and that stuff: I don't really play those, so nothing to worry there. :)

Just don't, this thread is as pointless as the thread about stacking Strength that happened a few months ago, then people actually spend time discussing it...just stop, please...

Why? Its just an experiment to see how well thought the design choice of nerfing electrostaves is and how far I can use this weapon while leveling up. Right now, it still makes fun playing a staff-wielding assassin, so why stop now? Because you say so? :p

Cheers, Niko

Edited by dermitni

this thread inspired me to make a electrostaff weilding assassin dressed like a imperial guard in a RP server : D

Hehehe... That was my idea, too, and that's what my assassin should look like once he hits level 43, which is the required level for the appropriate chest piece. :D

Edited by dermitni

• 3 weeks later...

Here's another update; I hit level 43 on Sunday and made some more screenshots:

Skill tree:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzOj5T1oQEbVTG1nMlZKWDd1XzA/edit

Vidaar:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzOj5T1oQEbVMmlXOWduWGNzSms/edit

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzOj5T1oQEbVLTY3dnZJN29nWUk/edit

Apart from yet another unusable ability ("Spike"), I did not have any major problems reaching level 43 and progressing in my class story to chapter 3. Killing enemies goes faster now btw. with enough Willpower and the correct rotation (although it might go even faster of course if I wasn't forbidden 4 of my abilities); I mostly don't even need companions. ;)

Next goal: level 50 and beyond. :)

Cheers, Niko

Here's another update; I hit level 43 on Sunday and made some more screenshots:

Skill tree:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzOj5T1oQEbVTG1nMlZKWDd1XzA/edit

Vidaar:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzOj5T1oQEbVMmlXOWduWGNzSms/edit

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzOj5T1oQEbVLTY3dnZJN29nWUk/edit

Apart from yet another unusable ability ("Spike"), I did not have any major problems reaching level 43 and progressing in my class story to chapter 3. Killing enemies goes faster now btw. with enough Willpower and the correct rotation (although it might go even faster of course if I wasn't forbidden 4 of my abilities); I mostly don't even need companions. ;)

Next goal: level 50 and beyond. :)

Cheers, Niko

i admire your goal,i'm doing the same thing with a body type 3 chiss sith assassin on my main server (pvp,tofn) because i can level faster there,once i get the chance i'm going to transfer him in a RP server and role play a very unusual chiss imperial guard.

(good news btw,with the expansion's update we'll be able to use most of the unusable abilities with the electrostaffs)

Edited by _biddan_

(good news btw,with the expansion's update we'll be able to use most of the unusable abilities with the electrostaffs)

Really?? :eek:

I didn't see this in the info about the expansion; did they write this in one of the dozen threads about electrostaves?

Cheers, Niko

Have you people even looked at an Electrostaff?

As someone that has carried around a SAW and a M-16, all day, everywhere, I can safely tell you that you would prefer to have a double-bladed lightsaber for your adventures around the galaxy instead of toting around an Electrostaff.

What is wrong with ya'll?

What is wrong with ya'll?

(1)

It's about the horrible design descision by Bioware to restrict each class to certain weapons and armor design only "so you can identify the class from afar" (the latter was a design step backwards (and towards "dumbing down the game") from much older games like Baldur's Gate 2 (or KOTOR!) where I could at least choose from different weapons for each class -- not to speak from Bethsoft's great game Skyrim where I can use any weapon (and armor) I want and still throw fireballs like a real mage). Regarding armor they lifted the restriction by introducing adaptive armor and later by rolling out almost all typical armor styles that are usable by all classes via the Cartel Market.

(2)

It's about diversity: Isn't it simply boring that every assassin in the galaxy is wielding the same weapon? And wasn't the double-bladed lightsaber originally something that Darth Maul constructed for himself and that no other lightsaber-wielder used, be it Jedi or Sith? So, you want to run around the galaxy like everyone else? Fine by me but I do not and you simply should accept that as a fact.

(3)

There are staff-wielding monks in our real world in some of the East-Asian religions. They're wielding staves, not doubleglowsticks.

(4)

People run around in armor with speeder-sized shoulder pads and are wielding Vibroswords the size of a small star fighter wing (both ugly as hell) and you are complaining about people wielding elegant staves?

So, there is nothing wrong with us; we simply want to play the game in a way that is possible by the game mechanics but still suits us. And if you have a problem with this: What's wrong with you? :D

Cheers, Niko

Edited by dermitni

None of you people that want an Electrostaff have ever carried a weapon in your life.

Go join military service, and at least carry a rifle with you everywhere you go, 24/7. And honestly, be a man and tell them you want to carry a heavy Machine gun instead. All day, everyday, everywhere, for everything.

IN BEFORE - Some fool compares a 'Monk's walking staff' to be the exact same as 'A metal Electrostaff with durasteel power generatiors on each end...

You people should get a barbell from the gym. (not your home gym, where it's only 10 pounds, but an Olympic Barbell 45 lbs), and then put a few weights on each end, and carry it everywhere.... There is your Electrostaff - go roleplay your Electrostaff Sith Assassin.

My mind = blown that people want something other than the epic awesomeness of the double bladed Saberstaff.

Edited by KettleBelll