Making merc Dps viable in PvP

TrumpetNut

I don't like leveling I find it ridiculously time-consuming and boring and I want to play on my 50 merc dps. I like it but one thing: I hate spamming tracer missle!!!! So boring. Is there a way that is effective still (Spec as well) where you don't spam as much and are mobile that can do better than a sniper is PvP?

I don't like leveling I find it ridiculously time-consuming and boring and I want to play on my 50 merc dps. I like it but one thing: I hate spamming tracer missle!!!! So boring. Is there a way that is effective still (Spec as well) where you don't spam as much and are mobile that can do better than a sniper is PvP?

you are never gonna match a sniper for pure dps, you are a support class which is much more flexible. Arsenal is indeed boring and cookie cutter so i ask you did you even try the other speqs? Pyro is great fun and much more mobile as not being dependant on Tracer to hit hard.

Read these forums, search youtube for pyro vids/guides and you'll start to enjoy merc again.

FYI only viable merc in pvp is a healing merc. They are the worse class for pvp currently. Horrible defensive cooldowns. One tree is competely (arsenal) useless in pvp due to every ability can be interupted. The other tree (pyrotech) is viable, but it's comes short of big bothers dmg (powertechs) due to them getting better rail shot dmg.

FYI only viable merc in pvp is a healing merc. They are the worse class for pvp currently. Horrible defensive cooldowns. One tree is competely (arsenal) useless in pvp due to every ability can be interupted. The other tree (pyrotech) is viable, but it's comes short of big bothers dmg (powertechs) due to them getting better rail shot dmg.

And 100% reliable CGC proc AND 2 Stuns. I just retired my Merc because i went 0-5 trying to get the weekly done. logged to my assassin and went 3-0 vs the very same premade. Yeah Mercs are garbage vs all but the worst players.

• 2 weeks later...
you are never gonna match a sniper for pure dps, you are a support class which is much more flexible. Arsenal is indeed boring and cookie cutter so i ask you did you even try the other speqs? Pyro is great fun and much more mobile as not being dependant on Tracer to hit hard.

Read these forums, search youtube for pyro vids/guides and you'll start to enjoy merc again.

That's interesting, I think Pyro is 10x more boring than Arsenal. To be honest (being a merc myself) If I had to make up a PvP group I'd never take an Arsenal OR Pyro merc. The only Merc I'd take would be a healer. The only good thing about Pyro is that it does good damage and isn't stuck in one place, but if you're gonna take a Pyro you might as well take a Powertech they're much better at it. But yeah Pyro mercs don't bring anything useful to the table.

Pyrotech is boring. Heatseeker Missile is better than Thermal Detonator. And the skills I find for Pyrotech take a lot more heat because you are running around spamming mobile abilities and it adds up. You get overheated and become useless if you used vent heat earlier.

I was an Arsenal PvPer for about 5 months, but respecced to Pyro 3 monts ago. I may say that I can do so much more with a Pyro than I was able to do with an Arsenal... Of course, you burst straight damage is not as awsome as you may do with the Arsenal rotation, but the fact that you don't have to remain still count much more in a WZ.

With an Arsenal your damage results at the end of WZ are like "tottaly awsome" (against a team that gently let you spend 4,5 sec. casting) or "pretty much sucked" (against a team that only had to interrupt you). As a Pyro, if you are let alone you can do some good damage too, but, if not let alone, you can do as well. The results are more ballanced at the ends, because you can try to kite and move a lot, doing damage as your are running. Your survivability is far more better than as an Arsenal, but remember that you're still a Merc... the very bottom of the food chain.

One thing people would count as a "downpoint" is the fact that, as a Pyro, you actually have to manage your heat, something that you don't even notice as an Arsenal.

Edited by Millem

I started SWTOR about a month or so ago and the class that looked the coolest to me was the Bounty Hunter and I ended up choosing Mercenary. It wasn't until I started frequently doing warzones that I noticed how often I die. I'd really appreciate some advice on how to improve in my combat.

I'm in the Arsenal tree, but I'm open to suggestions.

First advice: change to Pyro (see above), a class that can't move properly and everybody knows how to interrupt is not viable in PvP. As a pyro you will survive a lot more.

Assuming you started a month ago, I may guess that you didn't get a lot of gear yet, so, I can give you the best advice of all: As you don't have so much to loose, start your character again and change your Advanced Class to POWERTECH, right now!

Edited by Millem

I started SWTOR about a month or so ago and the class that looked the coolest to me was the Bounty Hunter and I ended up choosing Mercenary. It wasn't until I started frequently doing warzones that I noticed how often I die. I'd really appreciate some advice on how to improve in my combat.

I'm in the Arsenal tree, but I'm open to suggestions.

Hi there!

I agree when I started I was the same way. I got my mercenary to L50 and I feel like a complete idiot for not realizing til then that it was the worst PvP dps there is. No survivability, all you do is spam tracer or incedenary and there is no incentive to play a merc if you have tried any other class. Ranged go sniper. Melee go Marauder, Jugg, Sin, Power tech, Heals go ops. I personally think that it is always opinion. Do what You feel is right for you and have fun. Definetely try some other classes first. I tried Powertech after and it fits me like crazy. If you never try it you may never discover what is truly best for you. Hope it helps!

effective Arsenal rotation:

Tracer missle - tracer missle - tracer missle <--- those are your 3 first moves, now... if barrage procc should happen in between these, you fire unload and then back to tracer.... after 3 tracer missles, you will have 5 of those red buffs on you. then you go: rail shot - heatseeker missles, then unload, if Barrage hasn't procced yet, if it has, then back to tracer missles, trying to proc barrage.

Unload is your most powerful move, it should be on CD all the time, with the exception that you have less than 5 of those blue buffs on you (dont remember the name), as should rail shot and heat seeker missles. These 2 should be on CD at the same time, since they have same CD (16 seconds).

very simple and effective. I thought it was boring when I leveled my merc, I went tracer, tracer, tracer, tracer and everything died, but I was bored out of my skull. having tried my merc again, I find it pretty fun to play. With tionese gear on I do 800 dps in a 5 minute rotation on the dummy.

so: Tracer missle (if Barrage proccs: unload, if not continue rotation) - tracer missle (if Barrage proccs: unload, if not continue rotation) - tracer missle (if Barrage proccs: unload, if not continue rotation) - rail shot - heat seeker missles - unload (if it didn't proc earlier) - tracer missle spam until you procc Barrage or until rail shot and heatseeker are off CD, then you fire those again. rinse and repeat.

Edit: I just noticed it said PvP..... I have never played PvP on my merc, this is PvE. Anyways, it is my opinion that Pyrotech is a powertech tree and not suited for merc at all, since powertechs make so much better pyrotechs.

Edited by Fallerup

First advice: change to Pyro (see above), a class that can't move properly and everybody knows how to interrupt is not viable in PvP. As a pyro you will survive a lot more.

Assuming you started a month ago, I may guess that you didn't get a lot of gear yet, so, I can give you the best advice of all: As you don't have so much to loose, start your character again and change your Advanced Class to POWERTECH, right now!

Don't do this... Honestly, I hate the people who say this.

You know what class I asked about and people told me the same thing? Jedi Sent/Sith Maruader.

Honestly, yes, there are OP classes and Merc is not getting a lot of love. But it's time will come.

You know what class I asked about and people told me the same thing? Jedi Sent/Sith Maruader.

Honestly, yes, there are OP classes and Merc is not getting a lot of love. But it's time will come.

When. Mercenary needs to be given some way to stay alive longer and needs escape mechanics.

When. Mercenary needs to be given some way to stay alive longer and needs escape mechanics.

1.7 will bring new changes to PT and other classes, when will Merc get a boost, I have no idea. But quitting and rerolling is not the answer in anyway. I've honestly had some frustration, but if you work at it and run correct sets you can do fine in PvP. Nothing amazing, just good.

1.7 will bring new changes to PT and other classes, when will Merc get a boost, I have no idea. But quitting and rerolling is not the answer in anyway. I've honestly had some frustration, but if you work at it and run correct sets you can do fine in PvP. Nothing amazing, just good.

where have you heard anything about what classes are getting what in 1.7?

Please don't hate me!

I had just expressed my opinion about the class we share in common. I can do good with my merc and I'm pretty shure you can do even better with yours, but the point is we both could do a lot (I mean, a lot) more with a PT.

I love being a Merc., the dual pistols make me feel I'm in a "John Woo's Movie". The animations are cool. The AoE of fusion missile and sweeping blasters can do some decent damage, specially with a Pyro spec. To take the smash monkeys from a large range distance is pretty cool too. But we cannot deny the fact, specially to the newcomers, that PTs are way much stronger than mercs.

As for myself, I don't really know if I would change to PT if I had a chance. I would feel naked using only one pistol. But I think that the new Bounty Hunters must be warned, before pick their A.C.

Cya's

Don't do this... Honestly, I hate the people who say this...Honestly, yes, there are OP classes and Merc is not getting a lot of love. But it's time will come.

Patience has its virtues. But if you have now paid over $200 as a buyer/subscriber of ToR and still haven't gotten a subclass that is viable in ranked PvP, then staying with the class is as much stupidity and gullibility as it is stubbornness.

Anyone who says Merc's are crap then your doing it wrong, take a look at this guy's Youtube videos and tell me Merc's are terrible http://www.youtube.com/user/ShamelessSoul

Merc's are terrible. Please, I've scored 2x those damage amounts on my Merc. But you can score 3x those amounts on a real toon. With more utility. And better survivability.

ToR PvP has one redeeming quality - success is very heavily based on player skill. The gap between a low skill player and a high skill player is so great, that even if the low skill player is piloting a smash monkey in full augmented EWH, and the high skill player is running a Merc dps in Recruit gear, the high skill player will win. But once you control for player skill, the level of class imbalance is glaringly obvious. That these imbalances have been allowed to exist for over a year is simply not excusable. People have paid over $200 in purchase and subscription fees, and BW has not yet delivered a useable class in competitive PvP for those that want to play Merc dps.

ToR PvP has one redeeming quality - success is very heavily based on player skill. .

Dunno what other games you've been playing to make a statement as this. Skill cap in swtor pvp is abysmally low, which is the main reason why the majority of good competetive pvp'ers left the game after a month or two and went back to WoW or something else.

Sure, there's a big difference between bad players and good players. But the difference between someone who is "great" and someone who is "awesome" is very very small in this game.

Skill cap in swtor pvp is abysmally low, which is the main reason why the majority of good competetive pvp'ers left the game after a month or two and went back to WoW or something else.

Sure, there's a big difference between bad players and good players. But the difference between someone who is "great" and someone who is "awesome" is very very small in this game.

Couldn't disagree more. If the skill cap was so low, then why do you see Valor 50, 60, even 70 players that are still so bad? And the difference between "great" and "awesome" to you may seem small. But I can assure you, take the 12 best players on a server, pick 8 of them so you have the appropriate classes for a team, and match them vs. the #50-62 players (again pick 8), and the "awesome" players will win 95 out of 100 matches. And the losses will involve disconnects or some other anomaly. That's not a small difference.