PvP Power Leveling Bug? Rumor?

Later

Don't seem like an issue to me. This is a minor problem considering how bad games can be on release. If there are people that want to abuse it for fast levels let them, they know they may get caught but whatever. Those who don't want to don't and carry on as normal. As long as it doesn't interfere with your enjoyment of the game it is not a big problem.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is probably just an easier way to farm xp per hour than questing with all of the running around from place to place. It just is, most likely, a more efficient use of time. Seems kinda pointless anyway as they are missing out on the story.

i hate how moronic people can be in mmo's. QQ because someones a high level than them.

Just because someone is playing 12-16 hours a day doesn't mean they should be punished, they managed to get in early and are playing the game.

i'm at work most of the day and maybe have 4-5 hours game time a day at most. I know i wont be as high level as them, but you know, there are more important things in life than playing a game.

grow up already.

i hate how moronic people can be in mmo's. QQ because someones a high level than them.

Just because someone is playing 12-16 hours a day doesn't mean they should be punished, they managed to get in early and are playing the game.

i'm at work most of the day and maybe have 4-5 hours game time a day at most. I know i wont be as high level as them, but you know, there are more important things in life than playing a game.

grow up already.

That's really kind of weird, right? People are complaining that some people are going to be 50 before them and so their worried about griefing. Would it matter if people just started the game 3 months before them? I just don't get it. Are people ALL expecting to be the first to 50?

This is not the full update, yet - I'd like Gabe Amatangelo to weigh in. There is one important thing to note, however.

No-one is 'exploiting' this aspect of the game. We have looked at the metrics across every server, and no-one is earning an unusual amount of experience from PvP Warzones. In fact, when looking at the top-level players in the entire game, they are gaining XP fastest from completing quests. Also as of this morning, our top player on all servers was not in the 30-40 level range. They probably are now, but then they've been playing a lot - and gaining the bulk of their XP from normal quests.

In other words, whoever started this rumor was either confused or deliberately trying to start confusion.

Like I said, I'm tracking down Gabe to talk more about how Warzone XP is allocated and the design decisions behind it. Right now, however, we do not see this as an exploit. In simple terms, a player can gain more XP in the same period of time from normal play than from doing this.

More when I track down Gabe and nail him to a keyboard.

I would like to see it where people get an equivalent amount of XP from warzones as they do from questing. So if I decide to PVP I'm not going to be years behind my friends who just mindlessly grind quests.

I would like to see it where people get an equivalent amount of XP from warzones as they do from questing. So if I decide to PVP I'm not going to be years behind my friends who just mindlessly grind quests.

I actually found the PvP xp very sustainable. Almost too good. As playing a lot of pvp will put you several lvls above what the questing content is intended for, and in some ways trivialize the content. Honestly, if the PvP xp was any higher, it would throw the game off for me.

For example, I finished Coru at Lvl19 and a half. So 3 of those lvls are from PvP.

I actually found the PvP xp very sustainable. Almost too good. As playing a lot of pvp will put you several lvls above what the questing content is intended for, and in some ways trivialize the content. Honestly, if the PvP xp was any higher, it would throw the game off for me.

For example, I finished Coru at Lvl19 and a half. So 3 of those lvls are from PvP.

yup, pvp is a viable way to level

Yeah. You can go mindlessly grind pvp.

The quests and story in TOR *are* the best part of the game. If you're only here for pvp.... go back to Pandaland.

This is not the full update, yet - I'd like Gabe Amatangelo to weigh in. There is one important thing to note, however.

No-one is 'exploiting' this aspect of the game. We have looked at the metrics across every server, and no-one is earning an unusual amount of experience from PvP Warzones. In fact, when looking at the top-level players in the entire game, they are gaining XP fastest from completing quests. Also as of this morning, our top player on all servers was not in the 30-40 level range. They probably are now, but then they've been playing a lot - and gaining the bulk of their XP from normal quests.

In other words, whoever started this rumor was either confused or deliberately trying to start confusion.

Like I said, I'm tracking down Gabe to talk more about how Warzone XP is allocated and the design decisions behind it. Right now, however, we do not see this as an exploit. In simple terms, a player can gain more XP in the same period of time from normal play than from doing this.

Doesn't this concern the devs that it's possible to get this high in 2 days? This is crazy. It's a repeat of Rift.

And unless something changed since beta, warzones are definitely power-leveling areas. Also if possible, please don't give us top level players. Give us a look at ALL players and tell us who advances more quickly. Take from wave 1 on the 13th until when you read this post and then tell us where the most advancement comes from. I can look at my own guild and see how fast they are advancing in WZ's.

let me guess

carebears are jelly ?

Yes, those two idiotic memes both aptly apply for people being upset over a (non-existent) exploit where people joined warzones with the explicit hope of not actually PvPing.

Good guess.

Again unless something changed from beta, you get an ungodly amount of xp from PvP. Maybe it's just the nature of how PvP is just naturally fast-paced, but if you PvP instead of questing, you will advance more quickly.

I imagine if you just measure the quest xp vs. pvp xp, it will come out to be the same. But the problem is people don't quest the same way they pvp. When you pvp that's all you do with minimal distraction. When you quest, you can be engaged in any number of other activities/time sinks, so it's really not a fair comparison.

Doesn't this concern the devs that it's possible to get this high in 2 days? This is crazy. It's a repeat of Rift.

And unless something changed since beta, warzones are definitely power-leveling areas. Also if possible, please don't give us top level players. Give us a look at ALL players and tell us who advances more quickly. Take from wave 1 on the 13th until when you read this post and then tell us where the most advancement comes from. I can look at my own guild and see how fast they are advancing in WZ's.

I LoLed at this one as i was being flamed after 2nd beta weekend and i got to 22nd level without trying or pushing hard and i was doing quests not pushing hard

shrug i see rift x 100 with this as it took me a lot longer in rift by comparison and likewise not much end content

maybe it will work out maybe not who knows

I LoLed at this one as i was being flamed after 2nd beta weekend and i got to 22nd level without trying or pushing hard and i was doing quests not pushing hard

shrug i see rift x 100 with this as it took me a lot longer in rift by comparison and likewise not much end content

maybe it will work out maybe not who knows

This is my point exactly.

Do the devs have some surprise for us at 50? SWTOR 2 under wraps maybe?

Because there is not enough end-game on the planet for a mindless theme-park, albeit fun, game such as this.

at 14 or so i started running some pvp.. I was averaging about 9k xp and 1400 credits per run and each run might be about 10 minutes or so.. You can level really fast in pvp, but then you just outlevel your quest line... Seems more like the alt toon route or something if you don't care about story.

This is my point exactly.

Do the devs have some surprise for us at 50? SWTOR 2 under wraps maybe?

Because there is not enough end-game on the planet for a mindless theme-park, albeit fun, game such as this.

the answers i have been given are that it would

1. be unfair to casuals if leveling was too hard or long (amusing though casuals can play longer lasting games but hard core players can't play the fast ones since they get bored way too fast)

2. Leveling slows after 25th level (we seem to be seeing this differently at this time and being told 30 to 40 after 2 days play is "normal" by developers)

3. there will be things to do at max level (at this time grinding faction and the occasional flash point i guess)

unless some where in the supposed 300million this game took to make there might be more we are no seeing but not sure as i haven't seen it.

I don't want the game to fail but it has Warhammer, Rifts written all over it yet again...

I don't want the game to fail but it has Warhammer, Rifts written all over it yet again...

Nor do I, but it seems doomed to if there is not more meaningful stuff to do.

Here is a list of things I'd like to see that would "slow" things down a bit and a few things I think would just make it a better game:

• Planets with no specific level range. Just a very mysterious Star Wars planet where you can run into mobs that are level 1 or level 50.
  • No yellow brick road quests where you literally follow a road and questline like a robot to the next quest line or area. It works in other games because they are much more open.
  • When you open a map, have it be the entire world, not just some tiny segment. I know you can click the whole world map and see the whole world but it still seems so small and segmented like I'm running from one ride or warehouse to another.
  • No walls.
  • No exhaustion from running into the desert.
  • More mystery.
  • More immersion.
  • More in-depth crafting.
  • Player Housing on a planet that's non-instanced. No there would not be a blight if they just added rent with limits on how much you could pre-pay.
  • Chat Bubbles.
  • Scalable UI.
  • Movable UI.
  • Pet Mounts.
  • Vehicle Mounts that actually work and feel right. In TOR they just don't feel right. The vehicles in TOR feel and drive like a hula skirt that you're wearing. It feels very fake.

My biggest concern here is that you seem to be saying that you know there will be a number of people at or close to L50 before some pre-ordered customers are even allowed to join the pre-order play period. My concern is not so much how those people got to that level, but the perception of lack of fair play that this creates, especially on pvp servers. I also have some concerns that an influx of pvp gear will damage the demand for player crafted goods in the virtual economy.

I see that the servers show relatively low loads, I am guessing the issue is that what load there is is still concentrated in the newbie areas such that the player concentrations are higher than the server loads imply?

if you think thats unfair, a couple days head start.. what about the people who dont start till next week?

pvp servers by thier nature are "unfair", just because 1 side can great out number the other at any time. if someones concern is fairness, then they shouldnt roll a toon on a pvp server..

Nor do I, but it seems doomed to if there is not more meaningful stuff to do.

Here is a list of things I'd like to see that would "slow" things down a bit and a few things I think would just make it a better game:

• Planets with no specific level range. Just a very mysterious Star Wars planet where you can run into mobs that are level 1 or level 50.
  • No yellow brick road quests where you literally follow a road and questline like a robot to the next quest line or area. It works in other games because they are much more open.
  • When you open a map, have it be the entire world, not just some tiny segment. I know you can click the whole world map and see the whole world but it still seems so small and segmented like I'm running from one ride or warehouse to another.
  • No walls.
  • No exhaustion from running into the desert.
  • More mystery.
  • More immersion.
  • More in-depth crafting.
  • Player Housing on a planet that's non-instanced. No there would not be a blight if they just added rent with limits on how much you could pre-pay.
  • Chat Bubbles.
  • Scalable UI.
  • Movable UI.
  • Pet Mounts.
  • Vehicle Mounts that actually work and feel right. In TOR they just don't feel right. The vehicles in TOR feel and drive like a hula skirt that you're wearing. It feels very fake.

go back to wsg, oh w8...

Can we get a picture of you nailing him to the keyboard w/ a great expression of fear on his face during which shows the darkside bar come up and 1000 points is gained?

Edited by Devilize

Mr. Reid said that he was trying to track down Gabe Amatangelo (Lead PvP Designer) about this issue. I was wondering if he has had a chance to weigh in on this topic? I haven't noticed anything in the dev tracker, but it's understandable that the whole team is currently very busy.

Any comment would be appreciated! Thanks!

the answers i have been given are that it would

1. be unfair to casuals if leveling was too hard or long (amusing though casuals can play longer lasting games but hard core players can't play the fast ones since they get bored way too fast)

2. Leveling slows after 25th level (we seem to be seeing this differently at this time and being told 30 to 40 after 2 days play is "normal" by developers)

3. there will be things to do at max level (at this time grinding faction and the occasional flash point i guess)

unless some where in the supposed 300million this game took to make there might be more we are no seeing but not sure as i haven't seen it.

have to quote myself here and mention that though there are speed demons flying through the game the game is not that fast IF you actually follow the story line...

IF they choose to follow the fast route to 50 they really have no right to cry when they "run out of content" as the probably have with every game they have played for a long time.

i would still like to see XP turned down a bit but i can now see why there are high levels so fast and that they got there by ignoring story lines and racing to be first to 50 so they can be the first to post "WWWWAAAHHHH .. NEED MORE CONTENT"<playing thinks guess i

didn't have to get to 50 that bad after all>