Powertech PvP Spec

Convertible

Dear Players,

First of all, let me apologize, but I can't find any up-to-date information regarding Powertech PvP Specs for the life of me. With the lowering interest of the game, a lot of sites I used to browse (http://mmo-mechanics.com/, http://www.forcejunkies.com/, etc.) are already obsolete. Neither did I find useful information here on the forums.

Right, first things first: I'm playing a Pyrotech PT since some time. I roll with the spec 8/8/25 (http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hMhZMsMZfhMbdGhM.2). This spec I'm using for PvE, and I used the same for PvP as well. I guess I don't have to tell You how squishy I am, albeit being almost full WH geared. DPS output and burst is quite nice, but survivability is a huge issue. I'm doing also quite well 1v1, except if I duel against a Sentinel/Marauder. If I'm checking both DD talent trees, I'm seeing that Advanced Prototype should be less squishier, thanks to a few defensive talents. So I'm thinking to roll on one of the following specs:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hMhZMsRMRrfkbsZb.2

My biggest issue with this spec is having Rectractable Blade, I'm not a big fan of that ability, because I think it's a waste of a GCD where I could use a harder hitting ability instead. So I was experimenting a bit with above talent and got following:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hMhZrsrrMrbzbsZb.2

Or should I just scrap that idea, because I won't be able to use Rail Shot that often, and have to rely on other people's DOTs on the target?

Any thoughts on this are appreciated.

So stick to Pyro, You say? I can talk only about PvE experience, but getting 31 points makes no sense on Pyrotech tree, because Thermal Detonator is just not worth it. Is this different in PvP?

Yes, in PvP burst is king and 31 pt Pyro has much better burst than 8/8/25. You'll get higher numbers w/o TD, but as I stated before PvP is all about burst, and 31 pt Pyro has the best burst in the game.

So stick to Pyro, You say? I can talk only about PvE experience, but getting 31 points makes no sense on Pyrotech tree, because Thermal Detonator is just not worth it. Is this different in PvP?

Forget everything you learned from PvE about Powertech damage, rotations and skill priority. There are very few transferable skills going from PvE to PvP. Once you relearn your class you will then be able to take all your PvP knowledge and dominate PvE.

PvE you can stand still and dodge a few things, and go through your rotation peacefully maintaining DPS without overheating.

PvP you need to improvise a lot of the time and want to kill things as fast as possible, even at the risk of overheating in some scenarios. I'd say if you're playing Pyro, go the full 31. Sticky > TD > Rail Shot = Boom

Yeah, I'm sticking to Pyrotech, but can someone more experienced enlighten me, how to mix PvE gear with my PvP gear? Should I get the 4 set bonus from PvE armorings?

1 Set for PvP I use Eliminator set. This gives bonus DPS to Rail shot. The PVE set I use is the Clumni Tech givving me the same set bonus as the PVP set. Skip the BH set or use the mods in the Clumni so you get the set bonus, Camp gear has the same bonus as the clumni.

My spec is some thing like 4/7/31. I dont understand the hate on TD though as it gives good DPS (mine hits between 3500 and 5000 every time) and mixed and timed right with either RS or RP people just melt. TD is only a single target so Y not use it in PVE as it is more DPS than the blade.

1 Set for PvP I use Eliminator set. This gives bonus DPS to Rail shot. The PVE set I use is the Clumni Tech givving me the same set bonus as the PVP set. Skip the BH set or use the mods in the Clumni so you get the set bonus, Camp gear has the same bonus as the clumni.

My spec is some thing like 4/7/31. I dont understand the hate on TD though as it gives good DPS (mine hits between 3500 and 5000 every time) and mixed and timed right with either RS or RP people just melt. TD is only a single target so Y not use it in PVE as it is more DPS than the blade.

No offense Vratza, but I believe You are confusing things.

First of all: Eliminator (T1-T6) is for Mercenaries, and it reduces the cost of Rail Shot. Combat Tech (T1-T6) is for Powertechs, for which the 4-set bonus gives the increased damage to Rail Shot. I'm going to get 4/5 Campaign Armorings for the 4-set bonus, and try to keep above 1100 Expertise. Right now I have the following stats (incl. Rakata Stim) in PvP gear:

Damage (Pri): 859-1102

Bonus Damage: 575.2

Accuracy: 96.40% (Special Attacks 106,40%)

Critical Chance: 26.46% (lacking the IA buff)

Critical Multiplier: 77.91%

4/7/31? You must be level 51. :D

Regarding Thermal Detonator: it's just not worth getting, since it's on the same CD as Explosive Dart, and the damage it does is slightly more, so I'm better off spending skill points elsewhere. But I can be mistaken of course.

Edited by Convertible

No offense Vratza, but I believe You are confusing things.

Nope, on the contrary. See this:

War Hero Eliminator: (4) Increases the critical chance of Rail Shot or High Impact Bolt by 15%.

This is why you get the Eliminator PvP set. The Eliminator PvE set, which is what you are looking at, has zero usage for Powertechs in PvP. The PvP set, however, has the best bonus for Pyrotechs, beating Combat Tech PvP. Second, 1100 Expertise is not going to suffice. You really want to hit 1200 Expertise at the least, and it's going to extremely hard to do so with Campaign gear. Once you hit 1200 or so Expertise, then you can start switching out the PvP mods and such for PvE ones since you'll get more Aim/End then.

The PvP spec you want as a Pyrotech is 4/6/31 typically, though I know some like to use 7/3/31.

Regarding Thyrmal Detonator: it's just not worth getting, since it's on the same CD as Explosive Dart, and the damage it does is slightly more, so I'm better off spending skill points elsewhere. But I can be mistaken of course.

I came to the same conclusion, it's a powerful attack but not for how much skill points I have to use to max the tree. I leave it out of the rotation and spend the points on skills to increase survivability.

Because the high burst is nice, but if you can't survive long enough to follow it up they'll just kill you then heal back up.

Nope, on the contrary. See this:

War Hero Eliminator: (4) Increases the critical chance of Rail Shot or High Impact Bolt by 15%.

This is why you get the Eliminator PvP set. The Eliminator PvE set, which is what you are looking at, has zero usage for Powertechs in PvP. The PvP set, however, has the best bonus for Pyrotechs, beating Combat Tech PvP. Second, 1100 Expertise is not going to suffice. You really want to hit 1200 Expertise at the least, and it's going to extremely hard to do so with Campaign gear. Once you hit 1200 or so Expertise, then you can start switching out the PvP mods and such for PvE ones since you'll get more Aim/End then.

The PvP spec you want as a Pyrotech is 4/6/31 typically, though I know some like to use 7/3/31.

Thanks Bro, You helped me a lot! Thanks for the answers guys!

TD build is a must in PVP, without out it your might as well be a madness sorc and dot everything up. (ok thats going to far i know lol) I havn't PvP'd on my PT recently but i've played him since launch. PvP I used a 7/3/31 build and dominated the on avg. 12k bursts with TD is too much for healers to deal with so quickly. Pve w.o TD is the way to go. The only advice i'd give is be very careful using IM in PvP causes for very quick overheats, i found only really using it on healers trying to burn them down was the way to go. Using it on other targets it is honestly a waste of heat seeing as you kill them in about 5 gcd's. That is really the whole key to the spec is to be able to manage the extra heat TD throws at you. People not using TD in pvp just can't hack it imo. Edited by wetslampigduex

dont make it too complicated -and stick to the basics

this video will show you all you gota know about how to play a vanguard

That's the Mercenary/Commando or Sorcerer/Sage way to play. :p

Oh, and don't forget Derpsmashers. :)

Edited by Convertible