BW staff participation on PvP forums is 0.13%

BingoLarsson

Hi!

Before I start, just want to let you know that I have been a playing SWTOR since the beta. I have over 100 days of played on my main so you can pretty much guess that I love the game. Nowadays I mostly just PvP and lurk the relevant forums pretty much every day. After they announced that Joveth was also leaving, I was thinking about the absence of CM's in specially in the PvP forums. You can see a comment now and them, but it is pretty rare. I admit, some of threads are not worth any ones time, but still.

So basically I programmed a scraper, that calculated the amount of threads and the amount of post that BW official have posted here in the PvP forums. Here are the results as totals and relative percentages from all threads at that time (27.02.2013):

Amount of threads having staff posts: 55 / 0.134%

Amount of posts by BW staff: 98 / 0.013%

I will just leave it here. Please note that I only calculated threads that have the staff post icon in front of them, lot of the older ones do not have those.

Edited by BingoLarsson

While its true that they respond to the least amount of threads on this particular forum, the amount of garbage QQ threads that are created daily is crazy. Their are topics to which a response would be very welcomed but the fact that so many PvP players post rage threads hourly really drives that percentage downward.

Thread content-wise the amount of troll and trash posts skews things further (of which I'm responsible for approx. 18%). However I agree more staff posts would be extremely welcome, and encourage more focus to forum discussions. Whiners will whine, but I'm sure a fair amount of posters would rather be discussing dev. generated info. or interacting with them than speculating and bickering.

Until then, we'll have to be satisfied with cycao's sig for the best of what's been posted.

While its true that they respond to the least amount of threads on this particular forum, the amount of garbage QQ threads that are created daily is crazy. Their are topics to which a response would be very welcomed but the fact that so many PvP players post rage threads hourly really drives that percentage downward.

it would be nice if the moderators would either delete or move duplicate QQ threads. like the days that there are 5 "nerf smash" type threads on page 1; get rid of those and consolidate it all into one thread.

it would be nice if the moderators would either delete or move duplicate QQ threads. like the days that there are 5 "nerf smash" type threads on page 1; get rid of those and consolidate it all into one thread.

They would close threads like that and point them to existing topics...I miss that.

• Dev Post
Thread content-wise the amount of troll and trash posts skews things further (of which I'm responsible for approx. 18%). However I agree more staff posts would be extremely welcome, and encourage more focus to forum discussions. Whiners will whine, but I'm sure a fair amount of posters would rather be discussing dev. generated info. or interacting with them than speculating and bickering.

Until then, we'll have to be satisfied with cycao's sig for the best of what's been posted.

This seems like an excellent post for me to jump into given the topic :rak_03:

We are going to make a more concerted effort to post in all forums, not just PvP, but this forum is certainly a place that we can increase "yellow posts." I am doing my best to go through and find major issues in all of our forums and even if I don't have an answer at the moment, at least let you folks in the community know that we are aware of them.

-eric

We are going to make a more concerted effort to post in all forums, not just PvP, but this forum is certainly a place that we can increase "yellow posts." I am doing my best to go through and find major issues in all of our forums and even if I don't have an answer at the moment, at least let you folks in the community know that we are aware of them.

-eric

Wow, that was fast, thanks Eric! I think that's all we ask... Acknowledgment of something and communicating that you are working on it.

-eric

Sounds good Eric, and good luck and congratulations with your new role. You may find a jaded reception for a while due to past yellow committments that were similar. From your new team thread on the general page it sounds like you all don't have any less work but less folks to do it with, so any increases in communication you can bring to the PVP page would be very appreciated.

Edited by Joesixxpack

-eric

If you mean it and actually do this then that's huge.

Austin posted in a smash thread on the PTS that they've done a lot of work on it. It's good to know that all the smash threads haven't been falling on deaf ears, but it would be a lot less frustrating to get acknowledgement of an issue when it's a obviously a huge concern.

Most of us understand that some issues require careful some careful balancing acts, but the total silence from BW in the past regarding most issues has been a source of frustration.

Of course when you post something, and then the replies are "you guys don't seem to understand the problem" then you need to, you know, respond back. Dialogue can be a wonderful thing.

-eric

I hope you're able to accomplish this Eric :) You're not the first to say they'd post more, but you're one guy I trust to make a greater effort at it than past people had.

• Dev Post

We are still here! The Combat and PvP devs have been more focused on the PTS forum feedback than the PvP forums atm since we just launched 2.0 on PTS so the gettin' is good for hot feedback. That being said I still have this forum open in a tab and F5ing it dozens of times throughout the day and watching some very interesting threads right now. But as I said in one of my earlier posts in this very forum...

I know its not as satisfying/comforting as having a golden yellow response but trust that we are lurking, reading and noting suggestions even if we don't give the thread a response.

Keep up the great discussions! Cheers!

Yeah, the moderation here is abysmally weak. E.g. the "how resolve works" thread is horribly polluted with off topic QQ comments. People should be allowed to QQ about how they hate resolve but not in a valuable mechanics thread. An adequate moderation system would curate these threads. The current moderation system does not.

The obvious solution (that many other forums have implemented) is having volunteer moderators. I, for one, would be happy to do some thread curation moderating. I'd leave the banning and deleting to the BW employee mods as that topic is a nasty can of worms. Volunteer mods could recommend actions to BW mods who could then review and approve (or not approve) the action.

Also, we should have a button for reporting off topic posts that need to be moved to a containment thread.

Edited by funkiestj

-eric

Very happy to see more yellow posts around. I'm really rooting for this game, even though it's not the sandbox I wanted, it's got the flavour I love. Your warzone play has much potential, the storylines are the Bioware kind (not too shabby, not too shabby at all) You might have overshot the spending budget on voiceacting though since some things feel unfinished and alot of stuff gets done on the fly.

Welcome to the jungle

"Meddle Thee Not in the Affairs of Dragons For Thou Art Crunchy and Wouldst Be Tasty With Ketchup"

I miss Tigs tbh :p

Yeah, the moderation here is abysmally weak. E.g. the "how resolve works" thread is horribly polluted with off topic QQ comments. People should be allowed to QQ about how they hate resolve but not in a valuable mechanics thread. An adequate moderation system would curate these threads. The current moderation system does not.

The obvious solution (that many other forums have implemented) is having volunteer moderators. I, for one, would be happy to do some thread curation moderating. I'd leave the banning and deleting to the BW employee mods as that topic is a nasty can of worms. Volunteer mods could recommend actions to BW mods who could then review and approve (or not approve) the action.

Also, we should have a button for reporting off topic posts that need to be moved to a containment thread.

This is a place to start for mods of the forums. most stickied posts are outdated, messy and not at all correct anymore.

There's correct stuff floating around several pages back with minimal replies that might serve as replacements or new ones could be made when 2.0 hits. Make it a clean slate ingame and on forums (concerning earlier communication blackouts heh)

We are still here! The Combat and PvP devs have been more focused on the PTS forum feedback than the PvP forums atm since we just launched 2.0 on PTS so the gettin' is good for hot feedback. That being said I still have this forum open in a tab and F5ing it dozens of times throughout the day and watching some very interesting threads right now. But as I said in one of my earlier posts in this very forum...

Don't think it captured your quote in your post. Visibility is your friend, yellow posts can be effective as a reminder for people that you listen, take notes and work hard on giving us a product we enjoy playing. Sometimes forums can become a maelstrom of thoughts, ideas and random venting because the people in the community don't know which direction they could go with all their creativity and energy and actually be productive and helpful in their endeavour to help you guys make a better game.

Weekly or monthly brainstorm thread? Give people a topic and let the thread be the focal point for input?

Edited by DaedalusV

That's great and all, but it would be VERY beneficial for both the community and yourselves if we could get some kind of acknowledgement on a topic or suggestion that you will be reviewing. Either way, thanks for responding!

to be fair, if there was an official BW response to the issue, I would have a lot more sympathy. in-game, not this forum, I get the impression that the majority of players hate bubble stun and think smash is A) way to easy and B) way too many of them in EVERY wz. iunno. perhaps BW personnel have said something. all I can recall is a kinda sorta response that maybe bubble stun shouldn't be applicable to the entire raid. I mean...QQ is QQ, but I'm not sure how you can deny that these are issues with no closure whatsoever -- except the laughable..."well...there's going to be a xpac soon." like over 6 months after the aforementioned issues arose. that's kinda like saying...well, yeah. global warming is an issue. but it's moot cuz the earth's magnetic field is weakening, and we're gong to eventually be a dead planet ala mars. uh...ok.

Edited by foxmob

Tell EA I'm selling my 51% stock holdings to [insert nemesis brand here] if their priorities don't allow you guys adequate time to post in the PVP forum. :rak_07:

P.S. - Like others mentioned lurking and noting is great, and of course you guys are busy. But dat yellow text goes a long way towards troop morale...

-eric

We hear this every few months. Nothing changes