SWTOR Unleashed (game files in RAM to improve performance)

exca

I'm sorry, but I need to comment...

I've run this program since it was first released. Honestly, if you can't uninstall it, you REALLY shouldn't have installed it to begin with. I swear by this program and have NEVER had any issue with it.

There are requirements, there are setting you need to select...but it's ALL explained and simple.

Thanks for your support :)

• Replies 887
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This sounds like a great product. I haven't tested it myself because I use ISBoxer in order to run 2 clients on one machine (One actively gaming; one for crew skilling/GTN activities).

Is it safe to believe that this utility would not work with my current configuration? (Given that I have to launch my pair of clients from ISBoxer, preventing my ability to launch from your application)

Do you have any idea how I could make this work?

If not, I'm still happy to bump your thread for great Justice!

I'm sorry, but I need to comment...

I've run this program since it was first released. Honestly, if you can't uninstall it, you REALLY shouldn't have installed it to begin with. I swear by this program and have NEVER had any issue with it.

There are requirements, there are setting you need to select...but it's ALL explained and simple.

Not everyone is super savvy with computers. Just because you are a fan boy doesnt mean they shouldnt have included directions for uninstalling it.

Wow, you did it the "hard way" dude :)

To uninstall it, start it, do "remove and quit" to just disable any trace of it. Then delete the folder and uninstall imdisk. It's that simple.

When I did that, I was getting an error message when trying to launch the game and was unable to log into the game, so I had to reinstall and do it the "hard way".

PS : I'm pretty curious of what you disliked about it. To me, all users I saw disliking it, just misused it. Maybe I can explain you how to make it usefull and easy if you explain me your configuration (computer, operating system, total ram, swtor unleashed settings...) here or in private message.

Regards

I dont like the wait times: waiting for Unleashed to load, waiting to log in, waiting to swap characters, waiting to load a planet or flash point. The increased load times are not worth the extra five frames a second when I was already running over 60 fps on average. I'm sure its great for others and the benefits outweigh the drawbacks for them, but its just not for me.

When I did that, I was getting an error message when trying to launch the game and was unable to log into the game, so I had to reinstall and do it the "hard way".

That is because you forgot to click on "remove and quit" before trying to uninstall it. I'm 99.99% sure about it since this does the same thing than the "manual remove" you did, but in one easy click.

I dont like the wait times: waiting for Unleashed to load, waiting to log in, waiting to swap characters, waiting to load a planet or flash point. The increased load times are not worth the extra five frames a second when I was already running over 60 fps on average. I'm sure its great for others and the benefits outweigh the drawbacks for them, but its just not for me.

This first waiting time is normal, since you need to copy files from your hard drive to RAM (those same files you will have to do so when playing the game). It's better to wait a few seconds when launching the game launcher than in the middle of the action creating huge FPS drops.

If you experienced anything slower than usual when using unleashed, it's because you misconfigured it, it's that plain, simple and frustrating I can understand it. If you ever want to have a good experience with it you can post me the informations I asked you.

Also when talking about those 5 more FPS you got... meaning you upped from 60 to 65 FPS.... please understand it's not the main SWTOR Unleashed goal. Rather it will make you go from : 60FPS with drops to 10 or 15FPS .... to 65FPS with drops to 45FPS which is a lot more fluid. Also you will be able if it's not already the case to raise your graphical options (because textures etc ... will load like 100 times faster).

This looks really promising. I have a question or two as this is the first time I'm seeing this.

Can I install "SWTOR Unleashed" in my second hdd, rather than my main C drive where my programs and SWTOR is installed? If it's ok, will it effect performance?

And is this the equivalent to partitioning a disk? In other words am I partitioning 7gb for this game? This is the first time I'm hearing about this term "ramdisk".

I'm really excited about this, I have been having problems with putting my in game graphic settings for grass and trees. When ever I am in a planet with allot of grass and trees, I have to lower my graphic settings or turn off shadowing. I prefer the shadow settings. I'm hoping SWTOR-U can help alleviate this problem without me having to buy a 3gb video card.

My computer info first.

Win7 64bit, Intel 2600k cpu, 2 nvidia 560ti's running in SLI mode, 8gb ram. 4 1tb black edition hard drives in Raid 10 for 2tb's total with a 64gb ssd cache drive. All graphics settings maxxed.

I found with using Unleashed it was best to be minimalistic. First disabling virtual ram was required. Tried with and without. I typically don't use VR anyways. Unleashed would crash the game if i had no free ram left over. And i mean free as reported by the resource monitor. My standbye ram usuage was about 2.5gb. So best settings for me was using the following.

diskcacharena checked

localapp checked

FX checked

100mb additional ram checked

FYI my framerate was already pretty good before trying unleashed. Lowest i ever see is quick dip to 30fps while on my speeder on fleet passing a very huge croud. Otherwise it's a smooth 60-110fps. However with the above settings i'm getting between a 5-10% fps increase on average. Has not helped minimal fps btw. However the game does run smoother.

While the initial starting of unleashed is a few seconds more than retail the load times from character select screen to in game is quite a bit lower. So overall total load time to in game and playing is decreased. 12 seconds from character select screen to fleet is quite nice for example.

I'd say try unleasehed and play with the settings til you find a happy medium like i did.

Edited by deadandburied

This looks really promising. I have a question or two as this is the first time I'm seeing this.

Can I install "SWTOR Unleashed" in my second hdd, rather than my main C drive where my programs and SWTOR is installed? If it's ok, will it effect performance?

And is this the equivalent to partitioning a disk? In other words am I partitioning 7gb for this game? This is the first time I'm hearing about this term "ramdisk".

I'm really excited about this, I have been having problems with putting my in game graphic settings for grass and trees. When ever I am in a planet with allot of grass and trees, I have to lower my graphic settings or turn off shadowing. I prefer the shadow settings. I'm hoping SWTOR-U can help alleviate this problem without me having to buy a 3gb video card.

1- you can but it won't be faster, it'll be the same.

2- no, it's creating a fake hard drive in your RAM (ramdom access memory), not on your hard drive.

3- it will certainly help

can we get an update on the asset files associated with things like:

warzones,

nightmare pilgrim images animations, effects

operation images, affaect, animations etc.

fleet

You'll have to find out yourself if the first post isn't enough (you have some infos in a SPOILER button you have to click there). I'm relying on you people to give me this information.

My computer info first.

Win7 64bit, Intel 2600k cpu, 2 nvidia 560ti's running in SLI mode, 8gb ram. All graphic settings maxxed.

I found with using Unleashed it was best to be minimalistic. First disabling virtual ram was required. Tried with and without. I typically don't use VR anyways. Unleashed would crash the game if i had no free ram left over. And i mean free as reported by the resource monitor. My standbye ram usuage was about 2.5gb. So best settings for me was using the following.

diskcacharena checked

localapp checked

FX checked

100mb additional ram checked

FYI my framerate was already pretty good before trying unleashed. Lowest i ever see is quick dip to 30fps while on my speeder on fleet passing a huge croud. Otherwise it's a smooth 60-110fps. However with the above settings i'm getting between a 5-10% fps increase on average. Has not helped minimal fps btw. However the game does run smoother.

While the initial starting of unleashed is a few seconds more than retail the load times from character select screen to in game is quite a bit lower. So overall total load time to in game and playing is decreased. 12 seconds from character select screen to fleet is quite nice for example.

I'd say try unleasehed and play with the settings til you find a happy medium like i did.

I think you'll get far better performance with dynamic also checked. You crash because you disable the windows virtual memory. I don't recommend this. Leave it enabled. And make sure you don't have a lot of junk running in the background (firefox is a heavy ram consumer for example). Then try with dynamic again if you can lower the windows + background softwares total usage to 1GB or less.

I think you'll get far better performance with dynamic also checked. You crash because you disable the windows virtual memory. I don't recommend this. Leave it enabled. And make sure you don't have a lot of junk running in the background (firefox is a heavy ram consumer for example). Then try with dynamic again if you can lower the windows + background softwares total usage to 1GB or less.

Tried that and 50 other things and performance decreased. I'll stick with my settings thank you. This is a gaming rig so i already have a selective start. Meaning i already have quite a few unneeded proccesses removed. I don't use firefox as it's a ram hog. Nor do i have other needless stuff running in the background. Now why would i want the 2 swtor.exe files running off of a disk instead of my memory? Leaving virtual memory on would defeat the whole intent of unleashed.

1- you can but it won't be faster, it'll be the same.

2- no, it's creating a fake hard drive in your RAM (ramdom access memory), not on your hard drive.

3- it will certainly help

So this is all being done in my ram and its not take space from my SSD or HDD in anyway with that partion?

Not knocking this app/feature an such but all these people with SSD drives doing this why didnt you invest is more memory instead or a 64bit OS?

Plus you know this will degrade you SSD drive faster.

It dont touch the SSD or HDD all the data is put in to ram, This is verified by look at task-manger performance tab. Your ram usage spikes up before the game is even started.

Haveing more ram and or a SSD is moot point for the game anyway, it is very poorly optimized, and heavily compressed which make the poor optimizing in the game look that much worse. Mean while every other game I play that looks way better has better framerates and better min framerate then this game. If that dont scream bad programing/optimizing I dont know what does.

This might help some people but for me it did not for my problem is my min framerate tanked since 1.4 before 1.4 everything was on fine on high minus shadows. Now its studdering mess, With Frameskipping out the *** and min framerates that drop in them low 20's when it never did any of that before 1.3

Edited by Kyuuu

Not knocking this app/feature an such but all these people with SSD drives doing this why didnt you invest is more memory instead or a 64bit OS?

Plus you know this will degrade you SSD drive faster.

Are you serious? This is a terribly misinformed post.

If you have this game installed on an SSD the hit the SSD takes from reading/writing is pretty insane with SWTOR. Check it out sometime if you don't believe me.

Moving everything to your RAM and making it a RAM drive will net you performance up to 5x faster than the fastest SSD in terms of loading AND extend the life of your SSD since you are reducing the number of reads/writes on it.

I have 12GB of RAM, I load the cache file, all of the dynamic and fx assets, vehicle assets, gfx assets, and if I'm leveling an alt for the day the specific planet files I'll be on.

Is this going to give you 1000% more FPS? Certainly not. What it will do is reduce your loading times depending on what files you load and increase your min FPS in situations where the game is waiting for files to load.

This means that when I go to the fleet bank people load instantly, there's no hiccup because the game is searching for the files. It's noticeable if you are that observant.

Claiming that a RAM drive will kill your SSD faster is pure ignorance.

Tried that and 50 other things and performance decreased. I'll stick with my settings thank you. This is a gaming rig so i already have a selective start. Meaning i already have quite a few unneeded proccesses removed. I don't use firefox as it's a ram hog. Nor do i have other needless stuff running in the background. Now why would i want the 2 swtor.exe files running off of a disk instead of my memory? Leaving virtual memory on would defeat the whole intent of unleashed.

I think you might not understand all that's happening.

It's easy to understand why you get lower perf with dynamic "checked" too if you don't have enough free ram.

2.5GB for Windows + background softwares

2.5GB for SWTOR

it leaves you 8 - (2.5+2.5) = 3GB max for SWTOR Unleashed

since dynamic+fx+local+arena = 4.4GB which is > to 3GB it'll make you swap. If you disabled Windows swap => it'll make you crash. Only workaround to this to try unleashed "normally" with dynamic too is to lower your "windows + background softwares" memory usage from 2.5GB to 1GB. Which will give you : 8 - (1 + 2.5) = 4.5GB available for SWTOR Unleashed. Since you need 4.4GB for dynamic, you'll be then able to test it without slowdowns and without swap or crashes.

I do not know what mistakes I'm doing, but it's not working for me. :(

Without much more info from you, I can't help :/

well i gave this a try, after it crashing to desktop a few times I got it work, so very lil change in performance, which wasnt enough to warrant using a ram disk.

SWTOR Unleashed crashed? Curious. If you can tell me more or show us the log file I might help. Little change in performance is strange. If you wish you can describe more your test scenario.