View Single Post

cunctatorg
01.14.2018 , 12:06 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by juliushorst View Post
Here I must disagree with you. Don't get me wrong, I've seen the TLJ twice (hoping it'll grow on me) and I find it rather... not enjoyable, to say it lightly. But if it was supposed to be a product to sell, it failed.
TLJ is nothing like that. TLJ is what I believe would come out if David Ly
nch teamed up with Mel Brooks to create a Star Wars movie. Lynch ... Mel Brooks ...
So for me TLJ was like Lynch made all that weird stuff, symbolism, force visions, weird conversations inside one's head and then Mel Brooks came, added some loose plot and tones of jokes.
Well, everyone (namely every thinking person) has to explain how that movie was so profitable and what is its nature. Your disgust (not so unjustified!...) made you declare that SW:Episode VIII;TLJ didn't sell though it was absolutely clear (before the day I wrote the fist post) that it is a great financial success...

For me it isn't just a joke; SW:TLJ is the synthesis of three components but there is something more than that synthesis.
A) There is a strong and solid subplot (the main dish) including Luke's failure to control his destructive and fearful drives towards his very apprentice (which is a repetition and variation of Mace Windu's eventual attitude towards Darth Sidious), the interaction between Rey and Kylo Ren/Ben Solo, the confrontation of Rey and Snoke (which is also a variation of the confrontation between Luke and Palpatine; here the solution is not given by Darth Vader's self-sacrifice but by Kylo Ren's intervention by means of an action that is a synthesis of Vader's cunning one and that of Obi-wan Kenobi against Darth Maul and also of Darth Thanaton against Exal Kressh; however the point is that Kylo Ren chooses not to sacrifice himself in order to save his beloved but to take some risks in order to rise to power with -or without- his beloved, thus a real variation, the other side of that old coin) and finally the surprising use of Luke Skywalker's Force Phasma in order to cripple Kylo Ren's forces...
B) There is an addition of "entertaining" subplots. Here a needed break by means of entertainment (namely a relax break) and ... "fishing" (e.g. expansion to different fan-bases) is the main reason for the existence of these "naive" and "shallow" ("loose")subplots and ....
C) there is also a denouncement -from Disney's part- of the Star Wars mythology; they are trying to make somehow a joke (to put it mildly!) about all that... If not a ridicule of it!! Luke's repeated ridiculous and grotesque actions and Yoda's "cheapened" presence aside, the main example is Leia's gross and untimely joke about the standard wish regarding the Force and that just a few hours after the very moment that Leia had chosen to survive and had made use of the ... Force in order to achieve that miracle!... In my opinion Disney chooses to declare that this Force concept and all is just some joke; Disney, you see, is a serious corporation and it doesn't cultivate any cult of such ridiculous concepts. It chooses instead to make excessive use of political correctness (the basic instrument of many Republics' nowadays authorities in order to run the "voting herd"...) which also tends to become a joke but it ... doesn't (?!) matter.
George Lucas had also made use of many components of that very recipe in Episodes IV and VI, the weaker parts of his work but this isn't all...

There is something much more important and controversial also; the artist (e.g. Disney) addresses here the unconscious of us, the spectators. How? By means of the bare representation of the bare unconscious psychoanalytical drives and desires of the heroes. By the word "bare" I mean that there is a minimal (if not less) connection between their ego, their decisions and deeds and the conditions of the reality!!... George Lucas had never walked so far in this ... naive (and broken) path in the (chronologically) first trilogy and he was able to deliver two decades later another, much more elaborated, way of dealing with these issues in Episodes I-III (The Phantom Menace, The Attack of the Clones and The Revenge of the Sith). There is a literal and bare patricide ( in TFA) together with ideas of omnipotence etc. etc.; this is the reason that the spectators massively watch these movies at the first place and afterwards they complain that they have the feeling that these (seductive) movies are ... madhouses!! There is indeed something autistic (if not schizophrenic) that permeates these movies and their connection with the audiences!...

Anyways the bottom line is that these movies are a huge financial success and therefore the scholars and the thinking persons have to explain all that! The theorists of the Arts but mostly the leadership of psychoanalysis, e.g. the theorists of the object-oriented relations and such.