Idea on stances for strike fighter

My post got swallowed up on the thread so I thought I'd make a topic posting it.

Wing Foil Transformation

Core Component addition:

In Star Wars Lore, what made the X-wing the most famous of the ships? Iconic at least is that it could change its wings into different formations for different actions. I suggest all strike fighters be given a type of passive that can be specced into that gives buffs to the different speeds at which you accelerate or deaccelerate.

At 0 speed the Strike fighter would get a stance that makes it turn faster graduallly the longer it is going no where.

At the middle speed it's stance would revert to the default turn speed and provide an Accuracy buff to its laser cannons.The longer this stance is held, the faster you regain weapon regen. At fastest acceleration, accuracy reverts to normal and a ship speed buff begins to grow. This will gradually make it the fastest moving ship class outside of actually boosting the ship, which still makes scouts fastest for getting places but makes the Strike fighter still worthwhile. Players will be able to only strengthen one of those three stances with buying into the tree but a fully upgraded stance will obviously yield greater advantages over the default. This will make strike fighters act like a jack of all trades but give concentrated potential to one avenue they really enjoy the most.

I'll provide samples of what those trees could be but still allow you developers to make it your own.

Accelerant Core passive: You can choose Turning, Accuracy or Speed cores:

Turning Core: Gradually increases turn rate by 1% every 5 seconds at 0 acceleration until capped

at 10% buff.

Tier 1: 1000 ship req

Turn rate increases immediately at 0 acceleration by 5%

Tier 2: 2500 ship req

Maximum Turn speed cap increased to 15%

Tier 3: 10000 ship req

Option1: Ion Contingency:

After reaching max turn cap, if your ship has been affected by ion weaponry

the slow is removed. This effect can only occur once every 30 seconds

Option 2: Plasma Contingency:

After reaching max turn cap, your ship gains Plasma charged Laser bleeds.

25% of the laser damage is added as a 5% bleed that can stack 2 times.

Accuracy Core: Passively gain 15% weapon accuracy instantly. gradually increases weapon pool regen

by 1% every 5 seconds at 50% acceleration until capped at 10%.

Weapon pool recovers 15 energy immediately at 50 acceleration

Weapon accuracy gains 1% accuracy every 5 seconds until cap of 10% buff on top of passive.

Option1: Critical Contingency:

After reaching max weaponry cap: When you recover to full Weapon pool, your critical hit chance increases by 5% passively until the stance ends.

Option 2: Targeting Contingency:

After reaching max weaponry cap: Your lock-on targeting time is reduced by 75% on your next secondary

weapon use that has lock-on mechanics. This effect can only be used once every 15 seconds.

Speed Core: Passively gains 1% Ship movement speed every second when you hit 100% acceleration until cap at 10% buff.

Ship speed increases immediately at 100 acceleration by 5%

Ship speed cap increases to 15%

Option1: Pursuit Contingency:

After reaching max speed cap: Your ship movement speed is doubled for 15 seconds

but you begin to lose Engine pool by 5 every second. This effect only initiates when you reach max speed buff cap and is activated only when you have full Engine pool and does not stack.

Option2: Escape Contingency:

After reaching max speed cap: Your hull integrity is increased by 25% and you repair 15 hull every 5 seconds while you are at 100% acceleration. This effect only activates when your shields drop to 0% and does not stack.

Dude, there are a few good players (not the big names) making videos where they manage power pretty wrong, and I would say that nearly half of the playerbase doesn't use the F keys at all. Three stances? No way.

The only reason that your idea is servicable is that you don't allow stance dancing or buff twisting.

Simply put, I would NOT want to put all this micro on a strike. Strikes are already very hard to fly properly (the fact that proper flight isn't rewarded by the tuning of the strikes is an unrelated issue), and the game already gives fits when it comes to certain small cooldown moves, such as directional shield.

The idea where the strike can switch to different roles on the fly isn't a bad one, but the cooldown until effectiveness is reached, while preventing stance dancing, does mean that, in practice, this will either not be a mechanic (go into booster stance AND press F3) or a very limiting one (too long to build back up to Y-Form capabilities, I'll stay in X-form for now). Throw in the final limitation that the engine doesn't support the structure of the ship changing (which I totally agree should be fixed), and I don't think we'll see anything like this.

I also have some nits to pick (I think you said that a player can't buy all the stances, which is crap- I want to buy every upgrade on every ship, and so I did that- I wouldn't want to make a character level choice just to make strikes fun, and the idea of a mode that helps the disdainful, uncinematic, and ineffective turret play by actually MAKING IT EFFECTIVE would be awful).

But, with all that negative crap out of the way- here's the cool part about a transform: It would definitely keep the ship pretty fresh. If there are disadvantages to the forms, it would create an interesting dynamic in team play, where you would be more scout like if what is going on in your neck of the woods needs another scout, etc. I think you would want the transform to be strictly limited by a cooldown, not a passive-aggressively mediated by a stacking buff, because a relatively fast transformation combined with a predictable (for you and your enemies) set of abilities is interesting, but being caught right after a transform and before your buff stacked would just be sad (and punish a player for not being aware, a super common problem given how many players think that Gunships strike from the aether already), and it would simply and cheaply eliminate the case where stance dancing is a problem.

Edited by Verain

Dude, there are a few good players (not the big names) making videos where they manage power pretty wrong, and I would say that nearly half of the playerbase doesn't use the F keys at all. Three stances? No way.

You missinterpreted the means to which I suggest changing stances. It's when you slow down to nothing, move to half speed or move to full speed. Not f1, f2, f3, f4.

You missinterpreted the means to which I suggest changing stances. It's when you slow down to nothing, move to half speed or move to full speed. Not f1, f2, f3, f4.

He interpretted you correctly. What you're talking about is a stance dance, not the F keys, but the analogy he's using shows that most people wouldn't be able to take advantage of a change like this. This is why I also think there shouldnt be any maneuverability changes because most players will not be able to take anywhere near full advantage of any changes made.

Well, regarding stance dancing, the concept of the triple core feature is actually self defeating with the other two stances. You can only pick one of the three paths to dedicate upgrades to, leaving the others lacking but still somewhat useable. I really wrote it all to say that I like turn speed the most and want that aspect incorporated the most lol

While I appreciate the creativity, GSF will never see new systems invented unless its player base massively increases. What you are suggesting would be too complex to code, too complex to test, and too complex for new players to take advantage of.

Why are Bombers and Gunships so popular? Because they are easy for a new pilot to be functional in (though they require true aces to master). Strikes and Scouts, on the other hand, are completely ineffectual without solid experience and understanding of the game's mechanics.

We need to simplify Strikes, not add complexity.

An accurate assessment- it's vastly out of scope- but it is still a worthy discussion of a worthy topic. When someone comes in with a pie-in-the-sky thing dressed up as a recommended change, it's still a cool read.

I just think that stances would add complexity that wouldn't be used my most players, adding a huge skill cap to parts of the game that are pretty opaque to players and are already pretty hard to run properly.

Well thank you. I suppose I should explain that I feel I am one of the only players to actually take full advantage of the controls. Tilting the ship with rolls while slowing and speeding up to get around my opponents, for example is something I don't believe hardly anyone else does.