Discussion concerning awareness/strategy.

Polymerize

Dude, I am happy if I can just get people on my team to realize that Mid isn't worth any more points than the side nodes. I honest to god was on a team in 50 PvP and we took both sides with 4 people total, and those other 4 people stopped the cap at mid for a while. We were calling inc to a side node and those 4 people just stayed at mid. They lost mid and then we lost the side node because nobody would come defend. One of the idiots at mid pulled one of those epic rage quits where he cursed out every single player on the team before he left. One of the things he told us was that we lost the WZ as soon as we only sent 4 people to mid. That you can't win without mid. That it was the hardest to take and easiest to defend since it was so close to the speeders.

I had to track the guy down afterwards, and he was wearing full min maxed EWH gear. Which is a considerable grind. Ali don't even want to think about hoe many ACW's that guy has been in, but he was convinced that mid was the easiest to defend, and apparently hadn't figured out yet that you can ride speeders to side nodes. Those are the people I get grouped with regularly in PuG WZ's

That is why you have to improve your awareness/strategies in order to carry the weak players. I'm trying to vitalize this PVP Forum in order to improve the overall quality of all PVP players because I like to play at a high level, whether that may be in PUGS or RATEDS. Playing with and against unskilled players is boring and has no value for me.

I feel your pain. I was lucky though when I got picked to be on Meow Mix. I started with them on the same server, and we pvped so much that we just grooved together so well. My partner in all the matches was a sniper (unless there was a stealth job). The way we had things set up was like a buddy system. Healers and tanks went together and we split our remaining 4 dps into 2 kill squads. Usually mara and pt, and stabby op and sniper. But sometimes we just all worked together. P/ts with grapple and sins with pull were my second favorite people to team up with. they pull and I'd open just as they got there and it was just mass murder.

then the P/t crazy hit and slowly I got edged out in favor of FOTM.

Ah well 2147 rating is as good as I care to get til things get more stabby friendly.

As for the only people responding, it's probably cause shiny batstick wielders just jump in and hope for the best. Very few mara's I know actually understand strats, versus just smashing things. or how best to use abilities. I prefer predation over blood thirst only in the fact that it makes me harder to catch even in open combat, (especially in open combat) and it makes healers harder to catch if they are moving faster than the other team.

watching two teams when both pop predation is like (probably) being on the white pony.

and I realized that I derailed and lost the thought of the thread.

Yeah, the guild I was in on my original server was similar in that we played together a lot and had really good chemistry when it came to pvp. We had a lot of shadows and scoundrels and almost everyone could switch between tank/dps or heals/dps and be just as effective (this was before shadow hybrid builds or even the scoundrel healing buff). We talked strat a lot, but unfortunately 90% of the guild left for Tera or other games when 1.2 hit and bioware dumbed down pvp (on-use relic/stim removal).

It's a shame because I really would've liked to see how we would have done in rateds. We realized early we didn't have the plethora of sents/vgs to overcome everything with dps, so we focused on strats and beating people with intelligence rather than force.

To the op, you presented a scenario, I told you how I'd respond to it. Obviously making variations to it might change my response.

You don't see these strategies in RATEDS because the skill/quailty of the top RATED teams have not reached this point. They are hanging on to Brute Force only to do their job.

I think you quoted the wrong person when you put in the above reply, both because I didn't say anything about rateds, and because you had already replied to me right above this one. Just FYI.

But to your reply to me... In theory I totally agree with you. It would be by far better to kill off the entire team of defenders within about 5 seconds, and give your team all that free time to cap; better to kill in VS when they have a full door; etc. But my point is that much of your argument seems based on the idea that *you* can choose when to kill off that other guy. I don't think there is *any* situation when you can do that with much certainty (again, unless you are so overpowering the other side that it just doesn't matter).

With the nature of abilities in this game, where having one thing off cooldown can literally be a life saver, there are just too many things that can thwart your intentions. I play my shadow mostly - so if you are trying to kill me and you realize (by way of example) - "oh wait, I need to wait 5 more seconds for the VS door to close" - wow, I have SO many things just myself that might come off cooldown to save my butt - Cc, force sprint, combat stealth, that tech/force immunity, medpak - plus I'm continuing to attack you, someone else might attack you, a healer might notice me and throw a heal.

Granted, as a shadow I have a ton of stuff, but even other classes have Cc, they have various defensive cooldowns, they are continuing to attack you (some a lot more effectively than I can), they have medpaks, they have friendly healers. I'm remembering plenty of times when that other guy had just a *sliver* of health left, and all I needed was one good smack to finish him off and somehow he just kept living and living and living. On the flip side, I've also experience the "oh crap how did I die, I just had 1/3 of my health a second ago!?" after someone setup and executed their big-auto-crit attack on me (I guess), so who says you will stay alive another 5 seconds to perform that optimal kill?

Maybe I just need a "if you have the luxury of waiting, then it's better to..." thrown in front of all your statements?

Do me a favor. Next time you play a game on Voidstar. When you hit the Attacker's round.

I got a voidstar yesterday finally. My current "awareness level" in this game, with respect to your ideas, is that I now recognize the door is showing me ticks, and I remember to glance at it once in a while. Then I see that 3 are attacking the one we have guarding east and no inc call, someone is capping west because no one there is actually watching the door, my healer is dying, and the beeper on my stove is going off telling me to get the pot off the burner - and then I forget about the door ticks. But at least now I know there are door ticks. :)

I think you quoted the wrong person when you put in the above reply, both because I didn't say anything about rateds, and because you had already replied to me right above this one. Just FYI.

But to your reply to me... In theory I totally agree with you. It would be by far better to kill off the entire team of defenders within about 5 seconds, and give your team all that free time to cap; better to kill in VS when they have a full door; etc. But my point is that much of your argument seems based on the idea that *you* can choose when to kill off that other guy. I don't think there is *any* situation when you can do that with much certainty (again, unless you are so overpowering the other side that it just doesn't matter).

With the nature of abilities in this game, where having one thing off cooldown can literally be a life saver, there are just too many things that can thwart your intentions. I play my shadow mostly - so if you are trying to kill me and you realize (by way of example) - "oh wait, I need to wait 5 more seconds for the VS door to close" - wow, I have SO many things just myself that might come off cooldown to save my butt - Cc, force sprint, combat stealth, that tech/force immunity, medpak - plus I'm continuing to attack you, someone else might attack you, a healer might notice me and throw a heal.

Granted, as a shadow I have a ton of stuff, but even other classes have Cc, they have various defensive cooldowns, they are continuing to attack you (some a lot more effectively than I can), they have medpaks, they have friendly healers. I'm remembering plenty of times when that other guy had just a *sliver* of health left, and all I needed was one good smack to finish him off and somehow he just kept living and living and living. On the flip side, I've also experience the "oh crap how did I die, I just had 1/3 of my health a second ago!?" after someone setup and executed their big-auto-crit attack on me (I guess), so who says you will stay alive another 5 seconds to perform that optimal kill?

Maybe I just need a "if you have the luxury of waiting, then it's better to..." thrown in front of all your statements?

I got a voidstar yesterday finally. My current "awareness level" in this game, with respect to your ideas, is that I now recognize the door is showing me ticks, and I remember to glance at it once in a while. Then I see that 3 are attacking the one we have guarding east and no inc call, someone is capping west because no one there is actually watching the door, my healer is dying, and the beeper on my stove is going off telling me to get the pot off the burner - and then I forget about the door ticks. But at least now I know there are door ticks. :)

I don't know how many different ways I can say that the strategies I've mentioned are by no means ABSOLUTE rules that apply to each and every situation. You have to understand the logic and apply it where it is applicable. I wish I had video taping abilities so I could disprove the naysayers. Suppose I should do some research and find out how to record some matches and do some commentary. I apply the Golden Rules in Voidstar with ease. I suppose I should throw in a disclaimer to all my threads that states that you can't just join into a game and expect to deploy my strategies without putting any mental effort forth. I never said any of what I'm talking about is easy to, by any means whatsoever.

I don't see myself as a great pvp'er (yet) but I am now really content with the fact that I actually do these things:

- I always try to take a 'fresh target' instead of a wittled down target. Whenever I have some AoE's (Gunslinger/Sentinel) I try to apply it when I see fit to hurt others in the process.

- As an attacker, I try to get a good view of the battlefield as I fly above it. Are we trying to cap something? Do I just go and help them there or do I intercept? When I see "Reds" running from one side node to the other, I usually do the latter.

As a gunslinger I feel I'm most useful when I'm peeling or intercepting because of the vast amount of control options I have (mezz, root, knockback with root and a hard stun as baseline abilities and some slows in specific trees). I usually die because it's a 2/3/4v1 but at least I stalled them.

• 3 weeks later...

The problem with your theory is that in order to keep your numbers advantage enemy players have to die. A guy with 10% health is still putting out production. If you are playing a team that you actually need strategy for, chances are aoe isn't going to hit everyone and at best hit half of your enemy. You could throw dots on the secondary targets so that they are abit whittled when you start on them, but you also have to hope those dots don't get cleared, if they do it's a waste.

What to do depends on your group make up and skill level obviously, but lets say it's 2 guards, 2 healers, 4 dps. What I would do is send the 2 healers and the 4 dps to one side, have one tank stay at mid, the other tank sit underneath to slow/ harass reinforcements from the other side and then have them go back to mid when they respawn. This way you have a 6 on 4, you could even use two different assist teams in that scenario. I would use this because it's fairly simple.

Something else you could do would be to have 2 or 3 people, probably a healer, guard, and stealth so they can last long enough to seem like a threat, start on one side, then attack the other side with everyone else once it's left with one or two and have the second tank sit underneath to delay reinforcements. Then have the first attack group go back to mid to defend it. That concept has a lot more moving parts and it's obviously a gamble since you'd be leaving mid vacant for abit. But against a team that's better than you that's what I'd try, if they have two spots you're going to need to play the numbers game to get one back.

Edit: You could even send the second tank down below once one of the initial group dies, since your enemy would be tied up fighting them still

Edited by WarGame

If your team knows how to rotate players properly the way to bust a side-node double defense is to rotate the middle defenders.

If you know the count is 6 - 2 on defense have the people from mid hit the other node while one person is respawning/flying down on the speeder. The person who fly's down assumes watching mid, and as people start wiping the person who watches middle rotates. You keep doing this because when you wipe on offense you tend to have a trickle effect.

The lack of interest in debating/talking about strategy/awareness from this community appalls me. I must say though, it correlates well with this community's lack of skill/strategy/awareness in PUGGED and RATED matches. Consistency at its finest.

The click to win crowd has no situation awareness beyond their skill bar.

It has been said here however in other words. If you feel you dont progress fast on wiping defending team you should immediately proceed to predation move your team to another node and ideally let tank to aoe slow them at the same time. You cant afford to lose time if they got 2:1 nodes.

you wanted a video, I did not edit it, friend did. but this is a video of two huttball games, not exceptionally long, but you asked for a video. best I've got so far.

SUP Hallow.

I'm looking for an entire game. Contrary to most PVP videos, I want no editing! I want an entire game recorded, not clips of you killing people lol. I'm looking to point out strategy/tactics/awareness throughout the process of the entire game.

I tried to quit this game but I'm back, good to see you're back as well. :cool:

Edited by Polymerize

then why when i ask to ignore mid and go only for grass and snow i'm always flamed?

i really would like to see voice chat in ops, so i could expain this simple mechanic to my teammates :-( or organizing fake attacks to divert defenders..you don't know how many times i got the WZ simply going to ''their'' node, taking away a couple of defenders called from mid..