Can't decide on Powertech build

Uzirael

I recently rerolled a BH after getting tired of being told to heal all the time on my telekinetic Sage (just because I'm a sage, does not mean I'm the healer :mad:). It's going good so far pve/pvp wise, and mapping out some skills before I really start putting points in, I came to an impasse. I got 2 builds, with 2 different play-styles/skills I want, but I can't have them both.

Thoughts?

First build: Based more around melee combat with Rocket Punch and Retractable Blade, along with Jet Charge to cover extra ground. It would probably focus more on Ion Cylinder because of the skills it has in Shield Tech.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hRGr0RMoZrsrMo0cZb.1

Second Build: Based on the Rail Shot, and doing 90% armor pen with it (if it still stacks), it also has a bit more focus on range and movement, and while there's points for Combust Cylinder, the High Energy would be used more.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#3010MZrsrMRMckZfIbb.1

You're missing the key abilities in both builds that make those trees work.

For your first build, you depend upon Rocket Punch for guaranteed Ion Cylinder hits, but you don't take the talent that finishes the cooldown on Rocket Punch (Flame Shield).

On the second build, you're focused on improving Rail Shot as much as possible, but you don't take the talent that finishes the cooldown and reduces the cost of Rail Shot (Prototype Particle Accelerator).

I know hybrid builds are appealing, but i think in SW:TOR they're a lot more difficult to make work than in other MMOs.

I didn''t notice those until you pointed it out. I''ve since found a number of falling points between the two that wouldn''t work (for me mostly). These were just some early builds while I was/am still new to BH, but it''s still nice to get outside opinions.

You''re missing the key abilities in both builds that make those trees work.

For your first build, you depend upon Rocket Punch for guaranteed Ion Cylinder hits, but you don''t take the talent that finishes the cooldown on Rocket Punch (Flame Shield).

On the second build, you''re focused on improving Rail Shot as much as possible, but you don''t take the talent that finishes the cooldown and reduces the cost of Rail Shot (Prototype Particle Accelerator).

I know hybrid builds are appealing, but i think in SW:TOR they''re a lot more difficult to make work than in other MMOs.

Yeah especially with the Advanced Prototype tree, I don''t think it is a good idea to not finish that tree. Advanced Prototype tree has a lot of instant attack goodies, to not go all the way with it is just gimping yourself.

You really shouldn't get used to using a hybrid build. I believe Bioware stated that they don't want hybrid builds to be viable; they seem to want people to put at least 31 in their tree of choice.

I mean if you want to use it then feel free, but don't expect to be performing at your full potential.