And with 5.6 the merc war continues

Lundorff

At least in ranked. Who ever has the most (and marginally competent) mercs wins. The nerf has done absolutely nothing, as many of the other classes are equally or worse nerfed. Only maras and snipers seems to be holding their own, but I would still prefer yet another merc than a mara. Running as a sin is definitely bad, as you will be targeted first or second.

They feel easier to kill to me...yet now assassins can be burned down with cc, pts feel the same defensively in PvP, lightening sorcs also feel the same. I like the dot spread fix on pyro, but energy management on that spec is trash for pvp. Combat still under performs focus because of cc immunity. Which is odd since they have similar dps potential. With the slight nerfs here and there mercs are still pretty op In my opinion.

I don't think the dcd are an issue when I'm playing against them it's the in combat mezz , stun, kb, escape, net, spammed root and self heals that are annoying to me. Seems like utility overkill.

At least in ranked. Who ever has the most (and marginally competent) mercs wins. The nerf has done absolutely nothing, as many of the other classes are equally or worse nerfed. Only maras and snipers seems to be holding their own, but I would still prefer yet another merc than a mara. Running as a sin is definitely bad, as you will be targeted first or second.

Carnage just took a huge nerf. It's garbage now.

All hail Fury.

I played one regs match on my PT and was just rofl about how fast I melted during chain stains.

BW has utterly dropped the ball on this game when it comes to pvp balance. At this point I don't even get mad/care anymore, I'm just laughing as I score 10 deaths and still have the most dps on my team #regsRgrate

Carnage just took a huge nerf. It's garbage now.

All hail Fury.

Call me retarded, but I find Carnage to be much better than it was... If it had cc immunity it would be a killing machine.

The fact that the precision window doesn't depend on a very small 3 seconds window but on stacks means that all my hard hitters cannot miss now while using precision.

Previously If you missed those 3 seconds for whatever reason, you wasted DPS, but now that isn't an issue anymore.

You might say it's dumbed down, yes it is but still better in my view.

Call me retarded, but I find Carnage to be much better than it was... If it had cc immunity it would be a killing machine.

The fact that the precision window doesn't depend on a very small 3 seconds window but on stacks means that all my hard hitters cannot miss now while using precision.

Previously If you missed those 3 seconds for whatever reason, you wasted DPS, but now that isn't an issue anymore.

You might say it's dumbed down, yes it is but still better in my view.

It potentially improves carnage in a few ways, like people CCing you when you pop ferocity or pushback, I like that part but the lack of clipping with ferocity completely changes the feel of the spec imo and I think messes up the flow, even if you weren't meant to to clip it flowed better with it.

How is Carnage better than Fury for pvp now btw?

Edited by Romeugues

Mercs are still much better than others. So tired tbh... got 1780 on my mara yesterday and stopped to queue. Will wait until the end of season to get gold tier since fighting 2-3 mercs and opers or snipers in every fight becomes really dumb and dull.

Besides, dps pt, viru sniper and dot sins are still trash in pvp.. Someone lacks defenses, others lack dps lol

It potentially improves carnage in a few ways, like people CCing you when you pop ferocity or pushback, I like that part but the lack of clipping with ferocity completely changes the feel of the spec imo and I think messes up the flow, even if you weren't meant to to clip it flowed better with it.

How is Carnage better than Fury for pvp now btw?

Carnage is total garbage now. The "reliability" factor doesn't outweigh the DPS loss. When they nerfed our DPS in 5.2 you really couldn't see much of a difference, after this, the difference in damage is huge and it's very obvious.

Heres the kicker, they didn't even remove clipping. You can still clip. The stated change was to address clipping, what they did was simply make it so you can't do more than the aloted "3/2". The issue with this which makes it so unfair to the spec is instead of just removing the ability to clip which was all they said they wanted to address and leave the spec alone now that attacks can't get extra in the window, they took the easy way and ruined the entire playstyle which was so unique and enjoyable to play. As you didn't need to clip in order to get 3 attacks into the non-beserk window, the allotment of only 2 attacks in the non-beserk window has no justification whatsoever. They just didn't care that it had nothing to do with clipping. - - For me it is the playstyle change that was not necessary at all to meet their goal, that just takes all the joy from playing it. I wrote another post wherein I commented on the nerf to carnage, I don't want to throw another big post out there so I'll just include a "link"

that is a part from that post in anyone is interested.

I agree with you on this and on the general points you made.

As a Carnage Marauder, we just got hit with a second DPS nerf which is huge and this was soley do to PVE. Carnage had just gotten a DPS nerf in 5.2, and this latest nerf is huge, not only that, the playstyle it totally gone, it doesn't even feel like the same spec. It went from a spec based on speed to a spec that literally doesn't need any alacrity at all, add to that that we are still stuck with a beserk ability that adds alacrity [that we don't need anymore] as well as a "stance" bonus that is also alacrity.

Granted, some alacrity is good for all specs, but that should be a gearing choice, not forced on a player. Now we have to things that grant alacrity without a choice, and the spec simply doesn't need it.

The irony here is that they did this because they wanted to get rid of "clipping", guess what? They didn't remove clipping, you can still clip. What the did was put stacks on the Ferocity window, but they didn't remove clipping. So we lost a second attack on the non-beserk window that you never needed to clip in the first place. So went from 4 attacks in the Beserk Ferocity window [one from clipping] and 3 attacks in the non-beserk ferocity window, which you didn't need to clip to get in, but it was a tight fit so the added alacrity helps to fit it in in time, now we have 3 attacks in the beserk window and 2 attacks in the non-beserk window, 4/3 to 3/2. It's a massive nerf to it's burst, now, Fury even has better burst than Carnage.

Now, they could have met thier desired goal of removing the clipping effect which was stated as what they wanted, if you simply remove the ability to clip, you wouldn't have to destroy the spec, change the play style, and saddle the spec with alacrity bonus it no longer needs. Had the done that, simply removed the ability to clip, it would have not been such a devastating blow to the spec, after all that's what they said they were addressed, the ability to clip. What do they do? They don't even bother to remove clipping, you can still clip.

So now we lose two attacks from the ferocity window instead of the one attack from just the beserk window which was the only attack you needed to clip to get in in the first place.

It's literally impossible not to see that you don't need to clip to get three attacks into a ferocity window.

Ferocity window lasted 3 seconds. You use three instant attacks, they fit into a three second window. So we have now lost an attack literally with no justification what do ever.

It's trash now, its totally useless in pve, and totally sub par in PVP. The "reliability" of a longer window is totally mitigated by the fact that you're losing so much DPS with this change, you can do worse now than when you even missed some attacks before because now it's not missing one here or there, now it's missing two attacks every single time.

I understand the need to remove the clipped attack, but where is the justification for removing a whole extra attack that was never clipped into the window in the first place? It can be a loss of 15-25k every other window.

This was because of PVE.

Carnage was known to be one of the hardest specs to play optimmally in PVP because the windows only lasted 3 seconds and with all the CC that got thrown around u were losing some of those attacks at times, but it was always a high risk high reward spec to play, that was part of the challange of it, and that uncertainity do to all the CCs served as an innate checks and balance to it's burst potential.

The playstyle change is as unforgivable as it was unnecessary, it just ruins it for me to say nothing of the unjustified removal of a third attack in the non-beserk window. Fury has better burst than we do and pretty much better in every possible way.

Carnage was not the only spec that got shafted in 5.6, deception got shafted too as well as PTs.

For my part, this isn't carnage anymore, not by a long shot. Carnage is dead.

Edited by WayOfTheWarriorx

Mercs are still much better than others. So tired tbh... got 1780 on my mara yesterday and stopped to queue. Will wait until the end of season to get gold tier since fighting 2-3 mercs and opers or snipers in every fight becomes really dumb and dull.

Besides, dps pt, viru sniper and dot sins are still trash in pvp.. Someone lacks defenses, others lack dps lol

If you got 1780 you can que all you like. Even if you hit the bottom at 900 u will stil get gold rewards. ;)

Got a modest Bronze on Team Ranked on my mara so for me it's at least something for the all the time I put in that class. Gonna try to achieve more if possible.

I still think Carnage is better, Grim.

It seems to me now that you to refuse to adapt to the new class and cling to the older version because that's what you are used to ?

Carnage is total garbage now. The "reliability" factor doesn't outweigh the DPS loss. When they nerfed our DPS in 5.2 you really couldn't see much of a difference, after this, the difference in damage is huge and it's very obvious.

Heres the kicker, they didn't even remove clipping. You can still clip. The stated change was to address clipping, what they did was simply make it so you can't do more than the aloted "3/2". The issue with this which makes it so unfair to the spec is instead of just removing the ability to clip which was all they said they wanted to address and leave the spec alone now that attacks can't get extra in the window, they took the easy way and ruined the entire playstyle which was so unique and enjoyable to play. As you didn't need to clip in order to get 3 attacks into the non-beserk window, the allotment of only 2 attacks in the non-beserk window has no justification whatsoever. They just didn't care that it had nothing to do with clipping. - - For me it is the playstyle change that was not necessary at all to meet their goal, that just takes all the joy from playing it. I wrote another post wherein I commented on the nerf to carnage, I don't want to throw another big post out there so I'll just include a "link"

that is a part from that post in anyone is interested.

The playstyle change is as unforgivable as it was unnecessary, it just ruins it for me to say nothing of the unjustified removal of a third attack in the non-beserk window. Fury has better burst than we do and pretty much better in every possible way.

Carnage was not the only spec that got shafted in 5.6, deception got shafted too as well as PTs.

For my part, this isn't carnage anymore, not by a long shot. Carnage is dead.

That's what I meant by clipping and I completely agree, Fury is now better in every single way than Carnage as far I can tell and not by a little bit. Unless they completely rethink the flawed way they balance classes I don't see them fixing it, they don't understand how the spec (or really most if not all of them) work and so they don't understand why people are complaining about the nerf or any of the other flawed nerfs they did. The combat team really showed the way they think when their response to people complaining about mercs was to gut their DPS and not touch their DCDs until the current patch and what they've done obviously won't do much. I and I suspect other people who've played Merc since 3.X would have preferred them to gut the dcds and leave the dps and burst alone, having Mercs be the epitome of glass cannons.

If you got 1780 you can que all you like. Even if you hit the bottom at 900 u will stil get gold rewards. ;)

Got a modest Bronze on Team Ranked on my mara so for me it's at least something for the all the time I put in that class. Gonna try to achieve more if possible.

I still think Carnage is better, Grim.

It seems to me now that you to refuse to adapt to the new class and cling to the older version because that's what you are used to ?

Look, everyone's entitled to their opinion, if you like it better this way, that's certainly your right. For my part, based on my experience, the DPS is substaintially less. Some people might not care about things like that, and of course, I can only speak for myself, but given that damage is the only thing Carnage does it's a blow to the spec.

As far as adapting, that is a big part of it for me, I much preferred the playstyle it has had for all these years, and I don't know of too many Carnage Marauders mains who ever wanted stack based windows. As I said, carnage has always been a high risk/high reward spec, it was known for it and that's how I liked it. I feel the difference playing it now, and I'm not referring to the damage loss with regard to it's feel. Carnage was all about insane speed, high APMs, and lightning fast reflexes. Now, it doesn't even need alacrity anymore and using the same amount as prior to 5.6 results in lower DPS than stacking power and crit.

With regard to the feel aspect, that's the biggest loss to me, it's just not fun to play like this. That "reliability" comes at the cost of significant DPS loss, it does more harm than it does good. As It's a pure DPS class with no baseline heals, DPS should always be what comes first. That's just how I see it.

I'm glad that you may like it better this way, one less person who isn't upset about the playstyle change. I hate it.

It isn't about adapting to me, its about this isn't carnage anymore, that High risk/high reward and it's sheer speed was it's sublime beauty.

Had they not unjustly taken the third attack away from the non-beserk window, which you never needed to clip to get it into the ferocity window in the first place, the DPS loss wouldnt be as severe as it is. Losing two attacks from ferocity windows places it as sub par to Fury in every single way. Fury has better bust than Carnage does and as it is a Burst spec, nerfing it's burst so severely is a big blow to the spec.

While you may not be interested in PVE and raiding [i'm not sure if you are just a PVPer or not], the effects of the Carnage nerf are even more severe. No progression group would be in their right mind to take a Carnage marauder over a Fury or even Anni marauder [for over all DPS]. As Carnage is a pure DPS class, it should have some of the highest DPS in the game.

I'm glad you find it agreeable though, more power to you.

Hey folks,

One more known issue for the list. A handful of Disciplines are currently performing better than they should be. This is due to a number of unintended passive benefits which are applying to them. There is no in-game indication on your character of whether or not it is applying to you, but it is a bug related to some set bonuses. This will be addressed in a future update. If you notice you are healing for or doing more damage than usual, this is why.

-eric

;)

Yes, that's the absolutely irony of all the changes made since 5.0. They have "fixed" (one might say screwed) every class BUT the class that was made disgustingly OP in the first place. For all this talk of metrics and overperforming and all that junk, no objective person can say that Mercs aren't crazy OP for PvP. No one could go into a WZ and not see something seriously amiss with how much survivability and therefore damage they can do. And to make matters worse, these changes to bring other classes "in line" with metrics have weakened them, thus making the Mercs even stronger.

Good thing we took that 30% DR when stunned away from DPS shadows/sins though... because THAT was the biggest issue we had with class balance.