Companion Crew Skill Bonuses Still In Game

TRONEON

Ok so on this live stream of somone playing http://www.twitch.tv/innverse

I asked them to see if there companion still has crew skill bonuses and they did....

I thought they said they were removing them from game?

It makes it really annoying to choose what crew skills to have with what companion and is an extremely messy system. I can't find a match either for what I want to choose so this really screws me up....

Damn you Bioware, this has got to go!!

If I go Sith Inq, you're nearly forcing me to go Artifice, as Inq's top crew crit is Artifice Crit +5.

I don't see how...

I mean, if you wanted to go Biochem, what difference does it make the bonus on Artifice? Sure, if you're min/maxing, you're losing out on the +15 bonus. But on the other hand, Sith Inq only gets +2 to UT and +5 to arch, so you're really nerfing yourself when it comes to mats.

Alternatively, if you took the hit of having a +0 in Biochem, you have the benefit of getting a whopping +10 in both your gathering skills. -15 in your craft skill to get +13 in your gathering skills isn't really all that bad.

If I go Sith Inq, you're nearly forcing me to go Artifice, as Inq's top crew crit is Artifice Crit +5.

Source? From every companion list I've seen, there is no Artifice Crit bonus on any of the standard companions, in either faction. Best crit on the Inquisitor is +5 to Archaeology crit, by Talos Drellik. As a matter of fact, the Inquisitor does not get a companion with a crit bonus in any crafting skill at all. All crit bonuses for that class are in gathering and mission skills.

http://www.swtor-spy.com/companions/ is one of the better full lists out there.

http://sithwarrior.com/forums/Thread-Crew-Skills-Compendium has a nice tabulated section of crew skill bonuses that is easy to see at a glance what each class' best crew skills are.

From previous MMO experience, I would lean toward saying that any crit bonus is likely better than any efficiency bonus by several orders of magnitude.

Edited by Kaptain_Kaos

I just wish they would get rid of the companion screw skill bonuses like they said they would do, or make them universal so you can choose any profession or class mixture with any companion.....

At the moment the system is far too messy and makes it alot harder to choose what to play and what to have.

Also remember some of your 4th or 5th companions you won't get until you have a much higher level or further into the game.

So please bioware get rid of them like you said you would or make the bonuses universal for all companions to have the same bonuses.

:confused:

Edited by TRONEON

How strange that one would change crafting skill just for a tiny bonus. Sounds like min/maxing may be an addiction for some that can cause tumors or something.

I would prefer they leave them in game, as it adds a nice little bonus at times, and a bit of flavor to the companions.

I really wish people would stop demanding that we water down every mmo so everything is the same as everything else. I like the difference, even when I somehow have "less" than a min-maxed micro-managed approach.

Differences between classes are all well and good, but crafting skills is not really the ideal place to differentiate the classes.

Regardless, if they're going to have crew skill differences between classes then they should be fully transparent. As it is, a new player who doesn't spend extensive time hunting game sites is going to have no idea what crafts his class will be "better" at, especially given that he's only going to have his starter companion when he first picks crew skills.

I'm pretty sure they left them in because the effects were small, but still, for a dedicated crafter a +5 crit chance is a major consideration.

I know that I'm choosing which alts will take which crew skills with those bonuses in mind. It's not really an inconvenience for me, since I'll be playing all the classes and it doesn't matter much to me if it's my JK or JC takes Synthweaving, so long as one of them has it.

But yeah, I wouldn't have been upset to see these taken out. I thought it was probably a good thing when they said they were going to.

How strange that one would change crafting skill just for a tiny bonus. Sounds like min/maxing may be an addiction for some that can cause tumors or something.

I would prefer they leave them in game, as it adds a nice little bonus at times, and a bit of flavor to the companions.

I really wish people would stop demanding that we water down every mmo so everything is the same as everything else. I like the difference, even when I somehow have "less" than a min-maxed micro-managed approach.

I totally agree with this. Why remove the flavor simply because the companion you like doesn't have the bonus to the crafting profession you want? I think it's a nice little feature. If you are picking your crafting professions based off of your companions bonuses, then I think you are looking at the system all wrong.

I don't mind the crew bonuses at all, and hope they stay.

I'm a min-maxer, so I would absolutely craft based on what I could max out... but it's not, strictly speaking, necessary. It's just a nice bonus for anyone who wants to take advantage of it.

Perhaps the +crit bonuses should go, but keep the +skill bonuses... +skill bonuses are irrelevant at end-game, while +crit bonuses aren't.

Another solution rather than getting rid of the companion crew skill bonuses would be to allow the players to pick, train, gain through story/quest, or something similar different companion crew skill bonuses that their companions can use, but limit each companion to 2 or whatever.

I don't mind the crew bonuses at all, and hope they stay.

I'm a min-maxer, so I would absolutely craft based on what I could max out... but it's not, strictly speaking, necessary. It's just a nice bonus for anyone who wants to take advantage of it.

Perhaps the +crit bonuses should go, but keep the +skill bonuses... +skill bonuses are irrelevant at end-game, while +crit bonuses aren't.

perfect. its only crit bonuses that concern me.

Many expect Biochem to the most common/profitable/whatever.

Troopers get a companion w/ 10 Biochem Efficiency,

+10 Bioanalysis Efficiency

Not that big of a deal, since no crit, but thats still better for biochem than anything the Empire gets.

Jedi knight has a companion with +5 biochem crit. Thats pretty big to me.

Obviously anyone who's posting in this thread is probably aware enough of the issue that they can make a Sith Warrior if they want dark side Synthweaving crits. But what about the people who aren't aware of that difference? If they want to encourage certain classes to take certain crew skills, they can do so, but then they should actually encourage it rather than leaving it as hidden information to discover from the Web or realize long after you've first chosen your crew skills.

And why should a Sith Inquisitor be worse at Synthweaving crits than a Sith Warrior, anyway?

Biochem crit just means they get a chance at making an extra consumable. Every crewman has a base 5% crit chance, so basically for every 25 medpacs/stims/adrenals a crewman without the crit skill makes they'd get 26. Not a big deal.

Bioanalysis efficiency only really matters for sending companions on gathering missions, and it'd probably be faster to farm biomats by going to Ilum and fighting Strong creatures.

my impression of crits was that it made a better item, not more items.

The chance to crit always exists. However, using a crew member that has a bonus merely increases your chance.

In all my experience, it never really made enough difference to notice. I have leveled multiple skills, on many toons.

The chance to crit always exists. However, using a crew member that has a bonus merely increases your chance.

In all my experience, it never really made enough difference to notice. I have leveled multiple skills, on many toons.

Yes, but dont you agree that having double the crit chance is better than not having double the crit chance?

(5% base crit chance. some companions have +5 crit)