Level 1 Gold Spammers are whispering

HuaRya

Increasing in frequency are the whispering Gold Spammers at Level 1. I suppose we can turn off whispering but it would be a shame to no longer have this option as it comes in handy with forming groups.

I ignore unwanted whispers from players I do not know.. all the time. It's not hard to do. The mind is a powerful filter if you use it. ;)

If I am approached politely via whisper I will respond in kind. If it get the more common drive-by (which is usually begging and demanding) I simply ignore them. Same with unsolicited group invites.

Edited by Andryah

the only way is if they are a sub. F2P players cannot use chat till after level 25, so if they are level 1 they would have to be a sub.

There are players that in fact do collaborate and enable the RMTs. So this is no surprise. Players assume it's the RMTs doing everything.. when in fact they more often act as brokers and agents rather then collectors/sellers of credits now days. Some players are very active and in the business up to their necks, and I am sure some of them get caught up in the studios periodic cleaning waves.

• Dev Post
Increasing in frequency are the whispering Gold Spammers at Level 1. I suppose we can turn off whispering but it would be a shame to no longer have this option as it comes in handy with forming groups.

Hey there, just some quick notes on your post. As some others have pointed out in the thread, if you are being whispered by a level 1 character that means it is coming from a sub or preferred account. That likely means that the account is compromised. Standard reminder to do your best to keep your accounts secured, such as using an authenticator.

Also, anytime you see credit spam of any kind, please report it in-game. It helps us greatly in being able to track down these accounts to deal with the spam. If needed, keep in mind that you can ignore any chat spam you receive which will stop you from receiving messages from that character.

Thanks!

-eric

Edited by EricMusco

Hey there, just some quick notes on your post. As some others have pointed out in the thread, if you are being whispered by a level 1 character that means it is coming from a sub or preferred account. That likely means that the account is compromised. Standard reminder to do your best to keep your accounts secured, such as using an authenticator.

Also, anytime you see credit spam of any kind, please report it in-game. It helps us greatly in being able to track down these accounts to deal with the spam. If needed, keep in mind that you can ignore any chat spam you receive which will stop you from receiving messages from that account.

Thanks!

-eric

think I see a small error there eric. If you /ignore a character sending you a whisper, it only ignores that character, not the account. Unless there has been a change that I haven't noticed, or heard about.

Also, anytime you see credit spam of any kind, please report it in-game. It helps us greatly in being able to track down these accounts to deal with the spam. If needed, keep in mind that you can ignore any chat spam you receive which will stop you from receiving messages from that account.
Will customer support actually start closing spammer report tickets and/or will you change the system that these tickets don't count against the ticket limit? More often than not, I can't submit a ticket for a pressing problem because my ticket queue is clogged with spammer reports (some have been open for many months or even over a year...). Doesn't CS read those tickets, do they just forget to close them or what? The report tickets also aren't closable by the submitter either. Are you going to do anything about it?

Also, it would be nice if we could ignore a spammer globally for all characters on the account so we won't have to do it on all of our 40 characters separately.

Edited by Glzmo

If needed, keep in mind that you can ignore any chat spam you receive which will stop you from receiving messages from that account.

Thanks!

-eric

Eric,

as mentioned above, the ignore functions works per character and not legacy/account wide. A legacy wide ignore function would be great and is highly appreciated. And it would enlieve my ignore list!

• Dev Post
think I see a small error there eric. If you /ignore a character sending you a whisper, it only ignores that character, not the account. Unless there has been a change that I haven't noticed, or heard about.

Yeah, my bad. I misspoke there and will correct it!

-eric

-eric

Could you please please make it so report spam automatically puts it on the ignore list? Especially for mail spam, our choices are report spam or ignore, as both remove the mail from the message box.

You'd probably get much more spam reports if you did that. Or even male it optional for people.

Also, anytime you see credit spam of any kind, please report it in-game. It helps us greatly in being able to track down these accounts to deal with the spam. If needed, keep in mind that you can ignore any chat spam you receive which will stop you from receiving messages from that character.

Thanks!

-eric

Hey Eric.. if you want us to help the studio.. the studio needs to help us help them.

What do I mean?

1) Reports are added to our ticket count, and sometimes they do not get cleared for weeks. We cannot delete them and if our ticket count maxes out.. we can't file tickets for anything.. like you know.. an actual in game bug or issue.

2) You probably see a lot of posts in the forum where people claim reporting does absolutely no good as the "offenders" reported appear to continue to be in game doing whatever they were doing. I don't buy it as I do see offenders I have reported in the past get dealt with in most cases as they appear to go "poof", but the forum loves conspiracy theories that leave marks on the back of the studio.

Suggestions:

You can address item number 1 by either increasing the maximum ticket count, OR better yet... do not treat reports as tickets in the players ticket count at all.. since there is no valid reason for a player to have to track or followup on a report on a character spamming or other bad behaviors.

You can address number 2 by simply pushing a top level monthly report to the forum where you summarize the number of reported characters (by category of offense) AND the number and type of actions the studio took (in broad categories). THIS would give some positive feedback to the player community as to what the studio is actively doing with reported characters. Not asking to give away any methods or sources, just give the players a progress summary.. that we can trust and believe in. This would positive reinforcement for reporting.

UNLESS/UNTIL you do the above, it does not make sense for us as players to report spammers and other ToS violators, unless they are doing something particularly nasty that needs immediate attention.

Seriously, please help us help you here.. and give us back some basic QoL with respect to reporting spammers. :)

Edited by Andryah

Giving us a single "Report Spam & Ignore" button would help a lot because right now it's a 2-step process.

Also, if their character is standing nearby, you've got to dig even farther through menus which makes no sense because chat is for the entire planet.

And that brings us to the Legacy Ignore system... let us ignore a character across our entire Legacy.

Odds are that if I want to ignore Bob the Spammer on one of my characters, I want to ignore him on all of my characters.

Suggestions:

You can address item number 1 by either increasing the maximum ticket count, OR better yet... do not treat reports as tickets in the players ticket count at all.. since there is no valid reason for a player to have to track or followup on a report on a character spamming or other bad behaviors.

This should be easily doable. They already made it so bug reports don't show up in your ticket list anymore. They ought to be able to keep spam reports off your ticket list as well.

And that brings us to the Legacy Ignore system... let us ignore a character across our entire Legacy.

Odds are that if I want to ignore Bob the Spammer on one of my characters, I want to ignore him on all of my characters.

Maybe. Sometimes I just want to ignore someone because they're being an idiot right now, not because they're always an idiot. But for credit spammers, yeah, it's not likely I'll ever want to see anything from them, on any of my characters.

I've played in games where you have a single ignore list shared by all your characters. This could be a problem for SWTOR if the ignore list didn't get enlarged. Plenty of folks have issues with their ignore lists being too full to add the latest spammers. Having characters your Empire characters ignored also being in your Republic characters' ignore lists and vice versa could get all your ingore lists filled up in short order.

OTOH, I've also played games that gave you the option to ignore an enitre account. So you could /ignoreaccount (or /ignorelegacy) Bob the Spammer, and also not see any messages from him when he switches to Bob teh Spammer, or Bub the Spammer, or any of his other alts. You'd block potentially dozens of characters with a single ignore list entry, even if he deleted Bob the Spammer and created Spammer Sue instead.

-eric

Which of course leads to the often requested features:

Being able to ignore an account instead of a character

Autoignore when you report Spammers

I'd like a way to be able to filter out credit sellers the same way as is done for "profanity" - although not on the same toggle. Someone might not have an objection to hearing cursing but might not want to hear "JO-BOBSSITEOFCREDITSELLING" while on the fleet for example.

Making "ignore" legacy-wide would be a good idea, for both Your legacy and the account you ignore. That way you don't have to ignore SuzieCreditSeller on all of your characters, and you can also ignore her brother BobCreditSeller.

Will customer support actually start closing spammer report tickets and/or will you change the system that these tickets don't count against the ticket limit? More often than not, I can't submit a ticket for a pressing problem because my ticket queue is clogged with spammer reports (some have been open for many months or even over a year...). Doesn't CS read those tickets, do they just forget to close them or what? The report tickets also aren't closable by the submitter either. Are you going to do anything about it?

Also, it would be nice if we could ignore a spammer globally for all characters on the account so we won't have to do it on all of our 40 characters separately.

Yeah, that's why I stopped sending in spam reports a while back. Twice now I've been blocked from sending in tickets to CS for 3-4 months on end, because I kept reporting all the credit seller spam that ended up in my inboxes and that put me over the invisible limit for open tickets. I want credit sellers to be shut down too, but I want to be able to ask for help when I need it more.

Also, if the /ignore function ignored an entire account instead of just one character, that would free up a lot of my ignore list room to just block the prolific spammers until they get shut down!

Edited by AscendingSky

No changes to the ignore list are desired unless the ignore list limit is dramatically increased. Otherwise it just ends up being a huge hassle to sift through trying to figure out who was an actual player you ignored vs. a spammer to free up room on the list.

Would like account ignore, but we've only been asking for that since pre-launch, so I'm sure that's not likely to happen. While we're busy with delusions of grandeur, the ability to make a note next to a character name on the ignore list would be fantastic too.

I ignore unwanted whispers from players I do not know.. all the time. It's not hard to do. The mind is a powerful filter if you use it. ;)

If I am approached politely via whisper I will respond in kind. If it get the more common drive-by (which is usually begging and demanding) I simply ignore them. Same with unsolicited group invites.

That should mean quite difficult time forming pug groups then.

Also now I understand something else too. If I'm waiting for boss to respawn in heroic and I see player running to my location. I try to invite them -> in group finder -> I whisper -> nothing -> I try to whisper again -> ignored -> boss spawns and this random player manages to get first hit.

Not to even mention it's mostly pure race and no time for typing anything.

Edited by Halinalle

Could you please please make it so report spam automatically puts it on the ignore list? Especially for mail spam, our choices are report spam or ignore, as both remove the mail from the message box.

You'd probably get much more spam reports if you did that. Or even male it optional for people.

/notsigned™

The only reason I would accept this is if my /ignore list was automatically cleaned once the account was deleted. Putting facemash names on /ignore is a total waste of time and even moreso when they have to be manually deleted one at a time once the /ignore list is full.

Having a little mental fortitude to simply look past the odd one in chat or whisper is all you need. I'd rather save my /ignores for career trolls that abuse chat all day but seem to never get in trouble for it.

I know that /report players that spam money works personally, as i have seen the Credit spamming almost all go away even from Fleet on Harbinger last week, and i think last night. Though last night i was only on Fleet a few minutes at a time.

But it IS our job to /report these people since Bioware has gotten' a lot more serious about those idiots. If you know without a shadow of a doubt who could be trying/ compromising your account then /report them to with evidence you could have.

I made a Thread a week ago telling people that it's most likely time for everyone to change the Passwords and got laughed at by some. But getting hacked in anyway, because some people would not change their Password is both Lazy and a terrible thing.

I agree with posters here.

For mail we should have 1 click that:

1.) Reports this email as spam

2.) ignore the sender

3.) Delete all messages from this sender on this character and all legacy characters. ( I hate to log in, and delete the message, then login to 8 other characters and delete the same message).

Most people do the same as I do, just tag message as ignore instead of report because it seems to benefit myself more, but the report would benefit the community more. We need a fix.

And as suggested, ignore should be MY LEGACY ignores all characters from the SENDERS LEGACY, not just existing characters but all newly created ones. Because really ignoring someone in most cases has nothing to do with character, it means this person wants to ignore the other person. That means 1 legacy ignores another legacy. These changes would help eliminate a lot of annoyance for players.

I mean really, if a person is spamming or being a jerk, what makes you think if they log on a different character all of a sudden that person is no longer a jerk? Unless that person is role-playing a jerk on one char and not the other....;-)

Edited by Stellarcrusade

If you go into chat settings, you should be able to turn off whisper notifications. I did this ages ago.

Most people do the same as I do

Usually it;s a very bad idea to speak as everyone on a support forum. You don't speak for everyone here and, on some support forums, this is seen as abusive and action is taken.

Placing spammers on ignore is an issue as we have a max limit on the number of folks we can place on the ignore list. You may want to consider removing the spammers every so often to stay away from that limit.

edit: Oh and I'll still trade any of you my 6.2 million we block at the routers on average each and every day.

Edited by dr_mike

Usually it;s a very bad idea to speak as everyone on a support forum. You don't speak for everyone here and, on some support forums, this is seen as abusive and action is taken.

Thank you for pointing out that I was unclear how I wrote that. My post was meant to be from my perspective and knowledge, not the entire base of players, which I thought was clear. Allow me to correct that to avoid any confusion or hurt your feelings:

Of the approximately 50 people in my guild I have discussed this with, 1 person chooses to report instead simply ignore. The point of the post, and most peoples post in this thread is to suggest that we should have a single press that both ignores and reports. You bring up a good point about the limit of the ignore list, I suggest that it be made cyclical in a way where it only keeps the last X number of entries. So if the limit is 50, it automatically just keeps the last 50 you ignore. Players shouldn't have to (nor will they take the time to) maintain an ignore list properly.

Edited by Stellarcrusade