What is your character's motivation?

Velaran

IE, their overarching end goal.

For example, my main character (The Sith Marauder, Ven'arth) is dead-set on two things: The preservation and improvement of the Empire, and the eventual reunification of the Sith and Jedi Orders. Not the most likely thing to happen, yes, but aim high, you know?

LS Marauder: The preservation and extension of the Empire. Once she would've said she was doing it for the good and the personal freedom of everyone who would have the nerve to follow their desires. Now...less so. Oh, the Empire will be served, but let everyone see the galaxy for what it is - cold, cruel, ruled only by the strongest and most cunning. Good thing for her, she's strong.

She's...less LS now. Her mercy, when she still grants it, is a joke.

Grey Agent: The preservation and extension of the Empire as well, only his loyalty came down on the side of the Force-blind citizens. The civilian Empire is the galaxy's best chance for order. The Sith are a liability, and though it is not practical to destroy them, it is important to evade them so we can get real work done.

Smuggler: Action, credits 'n' pretty men, of course. Her associates can handle the paperwork so long as she's kept in cash.

Well, my main character (Sith Juggernaut Detheroc) seeks to aid the Sith Empire in its quest to take over the galaxy as he feels it would benefit the Sith and everyone else in the galaxy. He also seeks to reform the empire from within to make it somewhat more benign and feels that one's powers don't determine whether you're good or evil, it's how you use them that matters.

He also has a deep disdain for the Jedi as he regards them as being in denial of the fact that all beings are emotional in some shape or form. Plus he doesn't like how they allow themselves to be dictated by the Republic's politicians and feels that users of the force should rule over those who aren't force users. However, he seeks to convert the Jedi to the ways of the Sith. Any Jedi who don't convert, try to kill him or other Sith and Imperials he'll strike down.

LS Consular - The preservation and continuing existence of the Republic and Jedi Order. She believes that they are the best chance for peace within the galaxy. However her mercy is almost a flaw as she tries to avoid killing whenever possible which may lead to dangerous individuals coming back for another round.

LS Inquisitor - To build and maintain a huge power base so that she can begin her ultimate goal: To change the Empire and the Sith from within. She fights as a Sith as she believes they are right about emotions, but she also believes that they shouldn't be able to treat non-force users as dirt as it will lead to a weaker Empire. Despite showing compassion and mercy she will ruthlessly cut down anyone who stands between her goal.

My main character (Kot Skirata a Chiss Bounty Hunter) is more about honorable fights. He is also about getting credits from the empire, he is not extremely loyal to the empire, he wishes for the Mandalorians to enter a war against the republic and the empire, show their might and return to their former glory. He doesn't like the arrogance of sith lords.

However, since he is loyal to the Chiss Ascendancy, he wouldn't betray the empire.

Edited by Charon

My main character (Kot Skirata a Chiss Bounty Hunter)

Ha, are you on SotE? I think I've seen you around the Fleet. :)

My BH, Kjara (also a Chiss), is out for awesomeness and profit. By awesomeness, I mean that she wants to show that she's the best there is, moreso than being famous. (I suppose the two sort of go hand in hand, but you could be famous and still be a subpar BH...)

As a more subconscious motivation, she wants to prove that she's a good Mandalorian -- because she's not really been a poster-child for the Chiss in her lifetime. :p She feels both that she's disappointed her family and her people, and that maybe if she excels in her chosen profession, she can justify it. "See, Mom and Dad? I'm the very best in the galaxy at this job. That makes it a good choice, right?"

So... I guess she's driven to prove herself. The fact that she also holds grudges for a long time is a sort of side effect of that. If you try to belittle her or deny her skill, she will f'in' haunt you until she gets to demonstrate otherwise. :p

Edited by Jenovan

My main, Ayang, is a smuggler, but she is not really in it for the money. Her mother is a Jedi who was disappointed that Ayang couldn't use the Force and gave her to a boarding school, then adopted a Twi'lek (my JK) and has a VERY obvious preference for her adopted daughter. So Ayang is out to prove that you can be heroic and make a real difference no matter who you are. She fell into her current career mostly on accident, after working as a "dancer" (she did a little more than dancing) and having a client take pity on her. She is desperate to earn her mother's love even though deep down she knows she never will. As she gains fame/power in the underworld her motivation is changing more toward protecting other young women who might be taken advantage of when they have nowhere else to go.

Of my Main Imperial characters:

Radaraan, My Sith Warrior - Serving the Empire by crushing it's enemies everywhere. Particularly the Jedi and the Republic.

Severius, My Sith Inquisitor - Gaining power particularly over the fools he seems surrounded with.

Gybran, My Bounty Hunter - Making a positive difference wherever he goes, and getting paid.

Edited by OldVengeance

Jedi Guardian (LS) - Save the galaxy and then retire to a simple, happy life of training Jedi apprentices with Kira for the rest of his days.

Jedi Sage (Neutral leaning Light) - Win the war for the Republic, try to blot the Sith out of existence. A bit overzealous.

Sith Marauder (DS) - Serve the Empire at least somewhat honorably. Doesn't really have much in the way of aspirations, he's the muscle.

Sith Assassin (DS) - Unlimited poooooooowwwwwwwerrrrrr!!!!!

Sniper (Semi-LS) - Rescue the Empire from itself and piss off as many Sith as possible.

Mercenary (Neutral) - Make tons and tons of money. And piss off as many Sith as possible.

First two characters sadly were just me getting lightside points without thinking, my next character a smuggler was interested in taking power from the big guys and giving it to the little guy, robin hood with a gun. Basically I just helped the little guy and ****ed over the empire/republic whenever I could get away with it.

Marauder now is going to be all about power for himself, but theres a hint of light in him - hes only level 17 now who knows, he could be redeemed :).

LS(ish) Assaisin; Personal POWER, and getting laid.

LS (ish) Marauder; Ruling the Empire as an open Revanite.

LS (ish) Sentinel; Destroying the Empire, and getting laid (takes after dad, the Assasin).

N Mercenary; $$$$$$$$$$$$, and getting laid (also takes after dad, the Assasin).

DS (ish) Shadow; Destroying the Empire, and ruling the Republic.

LS (full) Vanguard; Destroying the Empire.

My main character, a Sith Warrior - Self-preservation at all cost, he knows that the Empire is unforgiving to the foolish and the weak. Climbing the heriarchy ladder as high as possible, with all means necessary. At the same time, keeping his sanity along with his life, not allowing the Dark Side to twist him completely. And, finally, to protect Vette from any harm and to make her happy (that helps him a lot with keeping the Dark Side from overwhelming him).

My main alt (heh), a Smuggler- she's in it for the money. She doesn't care about the political interests of the Republic, all she wants is to get disgustingly rich. Also, survival at all cost.

My Sith Inquisitor - to amass power and to crush people. He's a predator at heart, and unlike my SW, he's fully immersed in the Dark Side, revelling in evil.

My Jedi Knight - to stop the Sith from ravaging the Galaxy. To be a good Jedi and keep the order's ideals and morals.

My Imperial Agent - to be a faithful and useful servant to the Empire. She's a patriot at heart, really, the only one from my Imperial characters.

I haven't played with the Jedi Consular, the Trooper and the Bounty Hunter at all, so can't say.

For my (dark greyish) Assassin, she want's to serve the Empire, learn all sorts of knowledge and secrets, and pretty much ruin the the Jedi's/Republic's day. To this end she always makes decisions that would improve the Empire's chances, compromise the Republic, or both at the same time! She also keeps promise to those who have helped her.

She's also a matchmaker! (...stupid Nomar Organa)

My Sentinel is your regular, run of the mill, goodie-two-shoes.

My main character is an LS Chiss BH merc, she was originally in it for fame and fortune but after being elevated into the Mandalorians and romancing Torian she became more about Honor and testing ones limits to prove she is the best. From an RP perspective I actually play her as a kind of ex-doctor who lost her license due to a spice addiction and a propensity for concocting experimental adrenals without approval, her craft skill is Biochemist so when asked I say that I'm a chemist by trade.

Agent: to begin to manipulate the empire so that the sith are not in control (apart from the emperor) he sees sith as a danger to the continued existence of the empire with their excessive power plays that waste thousands of life’s. By gathering allies he in both the military and like minded sith he hope to see a new empire (slimier to malgus idea but one still loyal to the emperor)

My main, sith sorcerer, is a selfish son of a murglak who is mainly concerned about personal gain, power and secure position. Also he greatly values exploring dark side mysteries because they invariably lead to greater power. He is not that dedicated to the wellbeing of the empire, thats just a job, but he is dedicated to the dark side.

My bounty hunter right now just does what comes naturally. He started out all blue-eyed and bushy-tailed looking for fame and fortune, and as the story progressed things started going south and the illusion shattered. He ended up being a fugitive in the eyes of most of the galaxy, so now he does what he must just to survive and for the good of his crew. Serving empires interests because they are one of the few willing to deal with him and pay big bucks.

My Gray Bounty Hunter, Xarl, uses the Fett Code of Honor and is motivated by love of being a Bounty Hunter. He kills his targets if requested, and anyone who tries to stop him, but doesn't kill bystanders or those he hasn't been hired to kill. He never betrays a client and will not be swayed by any offers of rewards or begging or bribes to cease a hunt or to spare a target. He respects the Empire because it brings order and stability, whereas the Republic is rife with corruption and weakness, but he dislikes the excesses of the Sith (and after the story the Jedi as well). He is a Mandalorian and proud to be one, regarding them as the greatest culture in the galaxy for embodying everything he respects.

My LS Sith Sorc, Taldeer, is motivated by dislike of the Republic's corruption, the Jedi's arrogance and vendetta against the Empire, and by the desire to bring order to the galaxy. She dislikes the wanton cruelty and short-sighted views of many Sith like Thana Vesh as it brings nothing but personal pleasure to them at great cost to others. She intends to win the war against the Republic so that the Empire and the Sith people will not face extinction, and then to reorganize the Sith into a more temperant and pragmatic order. She does not forgive traitors though, and kills them without remorse.

My Sorc also refuses to let the Dark Side twist him totally. His love for his Dark grey Jedi Knight/Guardian little brother also helps him here.

He views the war as becoming mostly pointless. A waste of manpower, resources, & $. He wants to either end it as quickly & decisively as possible, or negotiate another treaty, a REAL one that both sides would actually heed. As Emperor, he would ease the restrictions on free speech, & the racist policies. He wants to garner real support from the Imperial public & go down as one of the best all round Sith Emperors. He also wants his brother to co rule with him.

This would establish the Imperial Solrac dynasty. His true, ultimate aim & goal.

Edited by Darth_Solrac

Imperial Agent:

A lone wolf independent operator who doesn't trust anyone except her crew. Her motivation is to be the best, make some money, and unleash some of her violent destructive tendencies. She doesn't trust the Imperial leadership and hates the bureaucratic bull of the Imperial army. She really hates force users and loves taking em down and wiping that smug grin off their faces. She hates the Sith almost as much as the Jedi.

Smuggler:

Getting paid and getting laid, has a soft spot for the little guy and usually does the right thing in the end.

Sorc:

Evil and violent. Wants it all

Trooper:

just another Broski

Edited by Rompdomp

Light Leaning Trooper: He is a bit of an idealist, and fights for the principles that the Republic was founded on, not what the Republic actually is (a cesspool of corruption). He is aware of the rampant corruption and hates the senate, but considers the empire to be glorified slave masters and oppressors which in his opinion is even worse than the corrupt indifference of the senate. He also hates the Jedi, seeing them as hypocrites who sit in their temples and capital ships meditating while ignoring the plight of those who can't protect themselves, while being indifferent to the millions of innocents they send to their deaths daily.

He won't follow orders if he believes them to be morally wrong, finding General Garzas' win at all costs approach to be absolutely repugnant (and he lets her know this), and is willing to fight the establishment to remove the corrupt from service. (If I was allowed to my trooper would send whathisface the Weequay out the airlock) but at the same time shows little mercy for unapologetic imperials and imperial sympathizers. (Dorne and Fuse he is ok with because they realized they how bad the empire was and worked to change their ways)

The most important thing to him is helping the people who don’t have the means to defend themselves, the people that the Jedi and senate, in their ignorance and apathy forget even exist. He is an ordinary man that just wants to leave the galaxy a better place than when he came into it. :wea_02:

Well, my Dark Jedi Sentinel, Ashley... Her motivation is to help the Republic. She's willing to do things others might not be for the greater good.

A in-game email you get floored me when she got it, because it so well summed up how I have been playing her, so I have made it her favorite quote from her favorite poet.

That is, Boh-orus wrote, "Better for some to sacrifice purity than for all to surrender to darkness."

Overall, I play her as a good person, she's not rude, she's very polite. But when it comes down to it, she doesn't take prisoners, she doesn't have silly notions that every Sith can be redeemed and become fine upstanding Jedi, as a general rule Sith die. She also has no problem bending the rules a bit for her own gain, which to her is for the greater good, because the better she is, the better she can serve the Republic.

As an RP aside, there has always been (at least in the RPGs) a "Illusion" ability that some Jedi/Sith can learn, so I have her learn it and she uses it to hide her dark side corruption. For the most part, unless you have reason to question that she might be corrupted, her dark side corruption is off because she's projecting the illusion into your mind, and you don't KNOW to try to resist. But, if I am like in a flashpoint and I win on a dark side decision, i'll toggle on the dark side corruption for a bit.... (as long as i am with a group who RPs therefore would care).

As an RP aside, there has always been (at least in the RPGs) a "Illusion" ability that some Jedi/Sith can learn, so I have her learn it and she uses it to hide her dark side corruption. For the most part, unless you have reason to question that she might be corrupted, her dark side corruption is off because she's projecting the illusion into your mind, and you don't KNOW to try to resist. But, if I am like in a flashpoint and I win on a dark side decision, i'll toggle on the dark side corruption for a bit.... (as long as i am with a group who RPs therefore would care).

VERY nice, RP intricate thing to do. I might start doing the same. But what's the shortcut for it? My Sorc is currently using Force Mask to hide his 'corruption' in RP too.

Edited by Darth_Solrac