Rage / Focus Set Bonuses and Tactical Items

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

Following our Onslaught announcement at SW Celebration we want to start diving into feedback right away. I want to use this thread to talk about Tactical Item effects and Set Bonuses for Rage and Focus Disciplines. Our goal for set bonuses is to introduce new bonuses, and potentially with even new sizes so you can mix and match. Tactical Items are a new item type that is meant to be build defining and most likely to directly impact how an ability works. For inspiration here are two completely made up Chain Lightning Examples:

1. Chain Lightning now does all of its total damage to only one target, and no longer jumps.
  2. Chain Lightning now jumps even more and does additional damage to secondary targets.

That would allow you to take a standard ability and allow it to be modified to fit your playstyle. Please use this thread to brainstorm ideas and make as many recommendations as you would like! For context:

• Tactical Items: These should modify one of your Advanced Class/Discipline abilities to work differently. The goal is for you to use the ability in situations you previously wouldn’t (more often, against specific targets, etc)
  • Set Bonuses: These should be focused on the broader “kind of tools” your class uses, but not specific abilities. Some examples are sets that center around bleeds, force damage, lightning, shields, cover, and so on.

Set bonuses, tacticals, both, let us know what you would like to see. I may not respond frequently in this thread but know that I am going to be compiling everything and sending it over to the team.

-eric

What Rage really needs is defensive boosts. Vengeance gets huge damage reduction bonuses on force charge and on endure pain. Rage gets nothing of the sort. I suggest a tactical item that gives you a big damage reduction bonus for 3 seconds after using Obliterate.

I agree that Shii-Cho should be a balanced from between damage and defense.

Thing is: dont make them too tanky. That's what tanks are for.

It's got enough burst imho, maybe even the best burst sequence in the (pvp) game. (sages be droppin')

Idea 1:

99% Damage Reduction while in Flight

(Force Jump, Obliterate aswell as Intercede)

So while in-air, attacks do almost no damage.

Just like Darth Malgus in the SWTOR-Trailer.

Idea 2:

X% Damage Reduction against DoTs varyiing with how much Rage you have.

Like, in full rage, you don't feel the pain of Poisons, Drones or Curses or Fire.

Same idea with full focus.

Idea 3: (just for the discipline-name s' sake

Bloodrage/ Battle Focus

a CD you can only use when having a full rage/focus bar, which it does not consume, but always replenish to full rage/focus after using a skill that consumes those. Maybe also include a damage reduction against Kinetic Damage, increase the alacricy and attack stats by 15%, but therefore reducing all incoming healing by 30%. The Bloodrage/Battle Focus lasts on unti you disable it or die and it can not be cleansed by friend or foe.

Edited by Mephesh

• 2 weeks later...

Link to Main Forum Post with Google Doc of Failure's Set Bonus and Tactical Item suggestions

RAGE/FOCUS

Tactical Suggestions:

• Force Crush’s last tick of damage is now deals damage to nearby enemies within 5 meters
  • Damage dealt during your cascading power buff is added up. Your next force crush's final hit deals it's normal damage +5% of your cascading powers added up damage.
  • QOL: When within 4 meters of the target obliterate does not lock your character in place (similar to low slash having different animation within melee range)

Set Bonus:

• 2 set - Melee/Ranged hits build stacks of X increasing damage dealt by your next force/tech hit by 5%/10%/15% stacks up to 3 times
  • 4 set - Force Scream now grants a stack that makes the next Vicious Slash, Vicious throw, or Sweeping slash 10% increased damage
  • 6 set - Raging burst increases the duration of force crush by 3 seconds

Other ideas:

• Hew is now usable by Rage

This was my first spec I played. It used to be my favorite as well. Now its the single least played DPS spec in PvE. Hopefully the ideas I propose will change that.

Tactical Items:

Increases the damage of of Smash by X% (something large. Let's say 100% since Smash was nerfed really hard) and increases its AoE radius by 3m. Smash can now also spread your Force Crush to other targets so long as it hits a target already effected by it (This DoT spread is optional honestly, but it would be crazy and redesign the spec in a sense if this is too powerful, a simple tweak would be to make it so the final tick of Force Crush is an 8m AoE instead since spreading the slow would be insanely powerful. Or just have it not spread the slow). In addition, Obliterate causes a shock wave upon hitting a target that damages up to 7 enemies within 8m of the original target (Make it do the same damage as Obliterate itself and have the chance to crit as well). This will help bring back the feel, and memories, of the good ol' "Jump and Smash" people loved - and hated - during launch.

Furious Strike has no cooldown when hitting a target under the effects of Force Crush. In addition, using Raging Burst lowers the cooldown of Furious Strike by X seconds. (the latter effect, or something similar to it, would be needed to prevent the flow of the rotation from being destroyed since the rotation is about buffing your Raging Burst with Obliterate and Force Crush being used on cooldown).

Increase critical damage by X% and decrease non-critical damage by Y%.

Set bonus:

Before I get into this, I personally believe that Ravage is the identifying ability of the Sith Warrior base class. This belief is why I tied all of the set bonuses to Ravage.

2pc: Ravage and Force Scream increase the critical chance of your Furious Strike by 100%. This effect can only occur once every X seconds. (30, 45, or 60 seconds is fine. This is basically the current 6pc, but more similar to the Marauder version which is better because you get the auto crit during your opening burst window).

4pc: Activating Ravage increases your crit chance and damage by X% for Y seconds. This can only occur once every other Ravage. (The percentage doesn't need to be big, nor do they need to be the same. Maybe 5% crit damage increase and 10% crit chance increase for example)

6pc: Ravage deals X% more damage (20% for the sake of this) and lowers the cooldown of all offensive abilities, as well as Enrage, by 1.5 seconds. The latter effect can only occur once every other Ravage. (Ravage is rather lackluster with the current set bonus provided. A flat damage buff will be more beneficial, I believe, than a small crit chance boost provided currently. As for the latter effect, it basically allows you to skip a Retaliation, which is your weakest filler and more fitting for Immortal, every other Ravage cycle and it allows you to get to your burst window faster. Personally, I would like it to be every Ravage cycle, but I feel that would likely be too strong. I personally think that the skipped GCD fits in well since you already have abilities that reduce the GCD of several of your abilities due to a passive in the skill tree)

Edited by SpleneticGamer

• 4 weeks later...

Tactical Items for Rage discipline :

Attack abilities:

-Shockwave increase the damage of the next raging burst and smash by an additional 15% (from 15 % to 30%), 40 sec cooldown,

maybe too much today but tomorrow if an assassin can share his force shroud, a necessity

-Brutality make your next furious strike an automatic critical hit, 35 sec cooldown

don't forget that the actual 6 pieces bonus set won't exist anymore.

-Battle cry increase the damage of Force scream by an additional 15% (from 5% to 20%), 30 sec cooldown

Defence abilities :

-Enveloping rage increase damage reduction from 5% to 30%, 1 min cooldown

-Gravity Manipulation (like the gravity vortex of marau fury) triggers for Force Crush an immunity of 6 sec at all interrupt and controlling effects, 30 sec cooldown

-Furious power reset the cooldown of Endure Pain (first I was thinking of Saber Reflex but I don't know, it depends on what other disciplines will have), 1 min 30 cooldown

Edited by Isagoras

Tactical Items: Broad example

Juggernauts reflexes / Guardians Instincts: Using Intercede while saber reflect is active grants the target saber reflect for 2 seconds. ( In this way its like the Jedi/ Sith is interceding to block a shot on the target). Should be available in all specs since it requires to Guardian/Juggernaut to use their own defensive for anothers sake.

Rage/focus tactical items example:

Domination/ moment of clarity: When using force crush or force exhaust your movement speed is increased by 10% per tick of force crush/exhaust and grants immunity to snares and slows for 3 seconds after cast.

Crashing roar/ Shock and awe: Using enrage increases the range on the next intimidating roar/ awe by 23 meters ( proc lasts 6 seconds)

Set bonus: DPS

2 pieces-every rage/focus used increases the damage of ravage/blade barrage by 2% stacking up to 10 times

4 pieces- using ravage/blade barrage on a target already rooted stuns them for .5 seconds

6 pieces- Enrage now increases critical chance by 15% for 4 seconds.

Just some examples of possible changes or set bonus to use plenty more available as well to change up game play of everyones favorite single saber blademaster give them a more interesting game play. - Zoom