1.7 Ilum, Open World PVP and Ranked Warzones

SuperDaioz

Firstly as a PVP'er I am stoked that 1.6 has a new Warzone, Elite War Hero Gear and also the decision to close the gear gap. (2 of my 3 chars are Full War Hero so not biased!).

I found this article from a little while back and haven't really seen much since regarding Ilum, Open World PVP and Ranked Warzones.

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/swtor-star-tour/

Ilum and Open World PVP:

At this point, what we’re wanting to do is an event that revitalizes it. It’ll have something to do with an alien race crash-landing into it, and we’re targeting a January timeframe, which is when update 1.1 happened this last January.

In addition to revitalizing the open-world PvP, we’re also looking at the obvious issues like faction imbalance and things of that nature, though I can’t get into the details of our approach right now.

On ranked warzones:

We’re making good strides on that. We’ve got a lot of exciting developments going on, but I’m not allowed to give details at this point. It’s something everyone at the studio is really amped about, and we hope to start dropping hints and teasers about that soon.

We want to do more than simply “turn on” ranked warzones for season one. We’re looking into other PvP modes, as well. I can’t give exact dates, but it’s likely that free-to-play will come online slightly before ranked warzones.

Does anyone know anything else and whether its happening in 1.7/ January as previously mentioned as a possibility?

2 of my 3 chars are Full War Hero so not biased

Yes, I've felt that crispy fury a few times.

Noted that GA mentions narrowing gear gap not just with Recruit Mk II, but with a level 50 bolster. How would that work? Couldn't simply scale stats by level when all are already 50. And wouldn't that rather undercut getting better gear, min/maxing, improving your character MMO-style generally? Hmm.

Also, he mentions "tournaments" (what kind?) in the same sentence as ranked warzones. So something they were/are considering.

Given this was back in September, I'd regard any potential timings with scepticism. Deadlines move over three months.

Also, +1 for can't wait for Ancient Hypergates.

Edited by Wainamoinen

Bioware is bleeding Devs and programmers and Gabe Amatangelo IS STILL HERE?!! Why did all the good Devs leave and Gabe, one of the minds behind the failure that was WAR, still here? Epicly disappointed sigh.

I doubt that he had any fans among swtor community, lol :D

Bioware is bleeding Devs and programmers and Gabe Amatangelo IS STILL HERE?!! Why did all the good Devs leave and Gabe, one of the minds behind the failure that was WAR, still here? Epicly disappointed sigh.

WAR failed for the same reason that SWTOR failed. Horrible game engine, unable to handle any mass (like 10 vs 10, lol) PvP at playable framerates.

The ideas were good, and the scenarios (WAR's warzones) were very fun.

Wouldn't blame Gabe for WAR's failure. I blame engineers.

Same applies to SWTOR.

The gear gap is not why there is a huge performance gap between noobs and veteran players. The performance gap is so large in this game because the PvP combat system is much more complex than in other MMOs. As a result new 50's start at the bottom of a lengthy learning curve. You can not eliminate that process unless you want to eliminate what makes ToR PvP combat interesting - it's complexity.

WAR failed for the same reason that SWTOR failed. Horrible game engine, unable to handle any mass (like 10 vs 10, lol) PvP at playable framerates.

The ideas were good, and the scenarios (WAR's warzones) were very fun.

Wouldn't blame Gabe for WAR's failure. I blame engineers.

Same applies to SWTOR.

This game can't handle 10v10?

SWTOR failed? lol

Confirming that going F2P less than a year from launch is a clear sign of enormous success and things going way as planned.

This game can't handle 10v10?

No it can't.

Yes it can and here to prove it.

Good old time in Illum

What kind of proof is that ?

a) Video is sped up (seems like 3x the normal speed) so you can't see how miserable the framerate really is

b) The shadows are turned off (lol)

c) Seems like it's some kind of low resolution

Edited by Rogoo

What kind of proof is that ?

a) Video is sped up (seems like 3x the normal speed) so you can't see how miserable the framerate really is

b) The shadows are turned off (lol)

c) Seems like it's some kind of low resolution

I played low res at that time, because I thought that Ilum would lag less ...

Illum was lagging everytime you get an objective, but on other planet I get real nice open PvP.

Here another proof at speed 1X (8 vs 8)

Here another proof at speed 1x (17 vs 17 aprox)

Illlum was the problem, to much laggy on objective when it turned

Firstly as a PVP'er I am stoked that 1.6 has a new Warzone, Elite War Hero Gear

Ilum and Open World PVP:

At this point, what we’re wanting to do is an event that revitalizes it. It’ll have something to do with an alien race crash-landing into it, and we’re targeting a January timeframe, which is when update 1.1 happened this last January.

In addition to revitalizing the open-world PvP, we’re also looking at the obvious issues like faction imbalance and things of that nature, though I can’t get into the details of our approach right now.

Very nice... very nice indeed!!!! :D:D:D