Winter/Spring 2018 Roadmap Update

KeithKanneg

What the hell is it with these last returning companions!? You've sold out my main class companions (commando, but several other classes as well) to literally EVERYONE who asked and even to those who didn't, and now you're going the "class only" way for remaining ones? What the heck? Fix then the friggin' story and make my class companions also limited. Sheesh, with each passing day things are only getting more ridiculous..

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At this point, what I want is a way to reset my character who haven't completed KotFE/KotET back to the end of Shadow of Revan. I get my companions back and can pretend the last 2+ years of garbage never happened.

Someone in one of these numerous posts suggested (tongue in cheek) that there be a scene where the sw wakes up to see Quinn standing over him with a rather concerned look and explaining Vette was piloting the ship and knocked him/her out. I thought it was funny and perfect. Just pick the least likely pilot for each class and undo this mess.

On the other hand they could always have a combination of things destroy the alliance to return things to the previous status quo. The Theron arc could conclude with Theron having gone under cover and the Outlander walking out in disgusts over being left in the dark. Or perhaps the alliance members get disgusted with the presence of Arcann that they quit. Or a combination.

But we all know none of that will happen. If it can't be done in 90 second storylines, it's not happening.

But honestly, I'd pay for a cartel token to reset all my characters that I put through this mess.

Edited by Keta

I too think a bit more focus, filling out the margins, so to speak, would go a long way here. They are being a bit too vague IMO considering the amount of rumors swirling around the game at the moment, combined with the perceived drought of content.

My concern is for the overall health of the game, and I think they need to step it up a bit if they wish to help stabilize the games rep at present. My suggestion is to schedule weekly livestreams for one hour each, where they chat with players and answer questions where they can.

IMO this would give the games rep a rather healthy boost.

You really think Bioware / EA is going to green-light regular livestreams?

It was Ben Irving's EPic-Live-Stream-Fail of "we think RNG is exciting, so put up with it" that led to where we are now.

All The Best

Can you take a moment and fix the companion bugs?

1. When I travel (happens a lot on Makeb), companion dies

2. Come out of an elevator, companion is gone (have to use the N to take it out again), happens a LOT on Star Fortress

I know the problems with companions on elevators etc have always existed. But having it just disappear is just super annoying.

I know the problems with companions on elevators etc have always existed. But having it just disappear is just super annoying.
- stop ask for impossible. I have this bugs simply often too. They didn't capable to fix bugs what i listed today in this thread for months, they will not do it with your little bugs. Sometimes when i want click my companion while adventure he/she just disappear (under ground propably) 30-120 meters away and when it happen i must dismiss him/her and summon again to stop companion adhd mode.

I start believe like others they really don't have more resources to fix game and give us content more often because EA is their real enemy now. Sad.

Edited by Trlance

You're probably right, but these small updates are too infrequent and small, I don't see many happy people either.

The reason they arent happy is because they expect every small update to have something for their specific interest, so its more of the player mindset that creates the issue. When you look at the years worth of content, everyone was given something, and there was similar amount of content to other mmos.

Yea this no longer feels like a AAA MMO after KotFE, that's what happens, when you try to run it with the FFF team.

Ben made some really questionable decisions when he was in charge and when they put the customer service guy in charge after Ben left speaks volumes.

Let's see;

No vision - where do we want to go.

No mission - how do we want to get there.

No basic communication. You don't listen to feedback, you don't act on feedback and you don't implement changes based on your customers feedback.

A few months release schedule. With half-baked implementations, delays, nerfs, stealth-changes, server down-time/lag etc.

No Quality Assurance, patches are released to your paying customers with little to zero internal testing and with no stable procedure for the use external test server.

No real bug fixes - with tons of in-game bugs and with every Game Update you introduce new and even more bugs.

Even your customer service is really bad.

The current team is clearly not real professionals - they are certainly not able to provide great quality content in a timely manner. They are only able to run the game in the most simple way and they fail even at this on a regular basis.

Change the current team.

Rehire the original teams - you know the people that made the original game great!

So we the paying customers can get some great full expansions.

And make swtor great again!

If not EA is going to lose it's Star Wars licence.

Considering they met all of those needs, it appears you, and many others, have unrealistic expectations of swtor, even though they tell you exactly what people want to know and put out content based on a grander level of feedback, not just forum banter.

The reason they arent happy is because they expect every small update to have something for their specific interest, so its more of the player mindset that creates the issue. When you look at the years worth of content, everyone was given something, and there was similar amount of content to other mmos.

Seems fair enough, and I think you're right. When there are "content" updates, the story lovers complain, when there's story, it's the other side that's unhappy. I do think story has gotten the most of all, for however much that's worth.

Seems fair enough, and I think you're right. When there are "content" updates, the story lovers complain, when there's story, it's the other side that's unhappy. I do think story has gotten the most of all, for however much that's worth.

If only the story was actually good...

If only the story was actually good...

Well it certainly isn't perfect, even the vanilla ones are not! They are however more in depth and engaging. But I think all of the story in this game were enjoyable. Imo, and I'm very happy I got to experience it. :)

Edited by Eshvara

Well it certainly isn't perfect, even the vanilla ones are not! They are however more in depth and engaging. But I think all of the story in this game were enjoyable. Imo, and I'm very happy I got to experience it. :)

Personally, I think the story has been on a downward spiral since the end of Shadow of Revan, with Iokath being, in my opinion, the worst piece of writing in this game's history.

Personally, I think the story has been on a downward spiral since the end of Shadow of Revan, with Iokath being, in my opinion, the worst piece of writing in this game's history.

Hmmm, I never liked RoTCH, Kotxx were enjoyable with a few chapters in between that were terrible, but other than that, I thought it was a pretty neat experience.

It is lacking in a lot of ways though, especially comparing to some of my favourite vanilla class stories.

But I feel like part of that is also because of the amount that was cut due to players demand.

Edited by Eshvara

Question about the companions.

I can not find a answer anywhere, and if there is please link it to me so I can read it.

But I seem to remember back before Iokath was released back in April of 2017, Eric or someone else mentioned that the choice on Iokath (to join the Republic or the Empire) would effect if other companions joined you later on down the road, NOT just Elara and Quinn. Does anyone have confirmation on this? I don't want Vector, Mako, or Ashara not joining me because I it was not explained before that a choice you make from 3-4 storylines before will effect a companion from NOT joining you and PREVENT them from EVER joining you again.

I do not have a smuggler nor a SI up to KOTET because I am not taking classes through until I know what choices effect if a companion I like returns or not, so I don't know if choices effect Risha/Corso or Revel from joining you or not. And like wise any of the other returning companions in the next few months. (Vector, Ashara, Felix, Mako and Avvaki) And if that choice does effect them, can we list off what choice effects whom? Also if that choice does effect them, what happens when Scourge/Kira, Nadia and Jeasa return? Will that Iokath choice or another choice effect if they join or not?

Making a choice IN the storyline they return in I'm fine with, because its explained right there if they are joining or not. But when the companions refuses to join you because of a choice made LONG before the content was released and you didn't know it would effect them, it limits the characters you can take through the content, since you cant redo it. (The example I'm thinking of is blowing up Overwatch and killing Jorgan prevents Elara joining you, even if you picked the Republic on Iokath. But ONLY if your a trooper, if you a JK and blow up Overwatch, kill Jorgan and pick the Republic, she will still join you.) Its instances like this I would like explained, (even if its in a PM from a dev:D ) so I can make sure I make the choices to get my companions back, since there are LITERALLY no save files EVER in MMOs.

Thank you for reading and I hope there is a answer. May the Force be with you. :cool:

Question about the companions.

I can not find a answer anywhere, and if there is please link it to me so I can read it.

But I seem to remember back before Iokath was released back in April of 2017, Eric or someone else mentioned that the choice on Iokath (to join the Republic or the Empire) would effect if other companions joined you later on down the road, NOT just Elara and Quinn. Does anyone have confirmation on this? I don't want Vector, Mako, or Ashara not joining me because I it was not explained before that a choice you make from 3-4 storylines before will effect a companion from NOT joining you and PREVENT them from EVER joining you again.

I do not have a smuggler nor a SI up to KOTET because I am not taking classes through until I know what choices effect if a companion I like returns or not, so I don't know if choices effect Risha/Corso or Revel from joining you or not. And like wise any of the other returning companions in the next few months. (Vector, Ashara, Felix, Mako and Avvaki) And if that choice does effect them, can we list off what choice effects whom? Also if that choice does effect them, what happens when Scourge/Kira, Nadia and Jeasa return? Will that Iokath choice or another choice effect if they join or not?

Making a choice IN the storyline they return in I'm fine with, because its explained right there if they are joining or not. But when the companions refuses to join you because of a choice made LONG before the content was released and you didn't know it would effect them, it limits the characters you can take through the content, since you cant redo it. (The example I'm thinking of is blowing up Overwatch and killing Jorgan prevents Elara joining you, even if you picked the Republic on Iokath. But ONLY if your a trooper, if you a JK and blow up Overwatch, kill Jorgan and pick the Republic, she will still join you.) Its instances like this I would like explained, (even if its in a PM from a dev:D ) so I can make sure I make the choices to get my companions back, since there are LITERALLY no save files EVER in MMOs.

Thank you for reading and I hope there is a answer. May the Force be with you. :cool:

So.....

Choices matter but only if you can retcon your choice if you don't like the consequence later on?

Edited by QuinlanSaathis

Considering they met all of those needs, it appears you, and many others, have unrealistic expectations of swtor, even though they tell you exactly what people want to know and put out content based on a grander level of feedback, not just forum banter.

Are you drunk?

If you are let me just repeat myself;

The current team is clearly not real professionals - they are certainly not able to provide great quality content in a timely manner. They are only able to run the game in the most simple way and they fail even at this on a regular basis.

People thinking this game releases content on par with other top MMO's should tell me the pills they are on. Content is not even comparable to some games run on small crew.

People telling me there is enough story released for year and 2 months already should also tell me about their medicine....seems very strong, because an hour or two at best for non-repeatable story is not enough in any universe.

Obviously EA can continue to do what they are because people deem acceptable such practices and game maintaining.

Edited by ExarSun

That's it.

And they are so stupid not to provide us with a framework like Netherwinter Nights to bring out our own content.

Well it certainly isn't perfect, even the vanilla ones are not!

The Vanilla Stories are on a par with War and Peace when compared to KotFE/ET.

I have a couple of short stories (and a poem) that have been published, and had I been writing KotFE/ET 70% of what we got would have ended up in the trash bin before I embarrassed myself by letting anyone else see it.

A whole, boring as hell, chapter to make a "new kind of force weapon" that we just have to have to defeat the "big bad" that a) is not actually needed, b) is replaced by a "shield from the gods" that arrives out of nowhere, and c) we were never going to be allowed to defeat the "big bad" anyway.

And that ignores things like Aric Jorgan would NEVER ally with the Imps, or that 80% of the Story makes no sense whatsoever if you are not a Force User.

I don't just blame the writers for churning out such abject rubbish - I also blame whoever green-lit that rubbish going live. For a studio once renowned for good, sometimes great, story telling not only was that an abject failure it was cringingly embarrassing.

All The Best

The Vanilla Stories are on a par with War and Peace when compared to KotFE/ET.

I have a couple of short stories (and a poem) that have been published, and had I been writing KotFE/ET 70% of what we got would have ended up in the trash bin before I embarrassed myself by letting anyone else see it.

A whole, boring as hell, chapter to make a "new kind of force weapon" that we just have to have to defeat the "big bad" that a) is not actually needed, b) is replaced by a "shield from the gods" that arrives out of nowhere, and c) we were never going to be allowed to defeat the "big bad" anyway.

And that ignores things like Aric Jorgan would NEVER ally with the Imps, or that 80% of the Story makes no sense whatsoever if you are not a Force User.

I don't just blame the writers for churning out such abject rubbish - I also blame whoever green-lit that rubbish going live. For a studio once renowned for good, sometimes great, story telling not only was that an abject failure it was cringingly embarrassing.

All The Best

I couldn't agree more. All the plotholes, all the railroading, all the non-choice choices (speaking again about Aric Jorgan, who Sith Lords can't just choose to kill the first time he decides to not take orders)... Sloppy, uninspired writing that does no justice to the player character, the adversaries or the more helpful NPCs.

An interesting thread to be sure.

I'll start by saying, for newer players, there's a ton of content, that cannot be argued, and any thoughts and comments from them will differ greatly from the vets, especially day oner's.

As for recent and upcoming content, they started to turn that around, but like a massive cruise ship and the like, it takes a very long time to swing it to another direction, this is just a simple fact, no matter the studio, and in that time a lot of people jumped off, not prepared to wait.

The constant debates about the type of content are quite silly and unproductive, as any concentration on a singular type of content will be the downfall of any of these types of games. The undeniable fact is, they need x amount of players here to be financially viable to warrant further investment, now you can argue all day whether that is a sound way to run a business or not, but again, its a pointless discussion here, as the people in charge of that, you wouldn't even know their names and they certainly would never visit these boards.

You must have new and frequently updated repeatable content, this is the core foundation that this model of game is built on, without it, its impossible to retain players, now to be fair, it could be non repeatable if the release cadence of that type of content was frequent enough, but that is impossible, even for a billion dollar company with a massive crew like Activision/Blizzard, so repeatable content is simply a must and is a part of building up your character and giving you a reason to log on regularly as a result of said content. Now this usually comes in the form of daily areas, events, flashpoints and raids, so as to cover all the different types of group and solo players.

2.0 and 3.0 gave us all this in spades and the game was so much healthier, then 4.0 came along, and while there's always a drop off after any expansion, the drop off after 4.0 was not only much faster, it was huge, and I dont think its stopped since, continually bleeding players as the games focus change to story was not as well received as they had hoped by a large portion of the player base.

As I stated at the beginning, they started to right the ship, but some think its too late, that too much damage was done for the game to be viable anymore, I have no idea if this is the case, its hard to predict without more info, especially what 6.0 has or doesn't have..

A meaty expansion like 2.0 would inject a lot of life back into the game, but will we get something like that?

One thing is for certain, they really need to change this information embargo they have been doing for the past few years, it doesnt work, its not wanted nor needed and only sews discontent in a large part of the playerbase.

Some have said they don't want to be held to any info that may not transpire, bollocks, there are ways to drip info out that leaves the studio covered, but builds trust and anticipation in the playerbase, and for those that can't accept that, screw them. We've had far worse infest the forums than a few idiots that cannot understand what the words "would like", "want to" and "maybe" means.

so i guess when they plan on doing something we should assume they won't do it.

"You can expect Izax will not go down easily and will be the most exciting encounter for ‘Gods from the Machine.’ Both Scyva and Izax will be made available in early 2018 and for those of you who enjoy the ultimate level of challenge. Our plan is to follow up with Master Modes of each boss figh, too."

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/news-article/20171002-0

happy about mako and ashara though.

@Keith @Eric You might want to pull that page down. It only proves you don't know whats going on with this game 4 months out. 4 Months ago you were all about MM bosses.

Edited by OneHit

I have to say, I'm astonished that they don't have any plans on adding weapons to the outfit designer, it just seems to me that they would make a lot of money from that. There's a lot of people that would pay a lot of money to get certain weapons if you could...

I can swear they said they were working on this a few months ago (maybe more than a few months now).

EDIT. Found the post::

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9305292#edit9305292

That was from May of last year but Charles talked about seeing if they could get it added last year.

Edited by Screaming_Ziva

Hey folks,

With the roadmap in front of you feel free to shoot us your feedback and questions in this thread. We are gonna sit back and let everyone digest and get questions out for a bit before we start responding. Expect quiet from us for a couple of hours and then we will be in here addressing your questions.

Roadmap day!

-eric

Hi Eric and Keith,

Does 5.9 mark the end of the traitor storyline? Can I finally get Theron back?