Display Name Only Log In - Coming April 2, 2013

CourtneyWoods

Are we going to be given the option to change the display name? I made one with little to no thought. If it is something I have to use as a login in I want to have the opportunity to change it to something I feel is usable and secure.

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are we going to be given the option to change the display name? I made one with little to no thought. If it is something I have to use as a login in I want to have the opportunity to change it to something I feel is usable and secure.

Please, read the Dev Tracker

Answered already

Its amazing how many armchair security professionals there are playing swtor. You all should apply for high level security jobs for knowing so much.

/end sarcasm

Everyone screaming about knowing half of your login information know absolutely nothing about security. Heres how you would have to attack the site if you know the display name vs email.

Scenario 1

Try to log in.. brute force the password. Internal systems pick up brute force attack and block the IP, flag it for review. Seriously Brute force attacks are very easy to detect.

"But they could use a BotNet" True hackers using a BotNet are not interested in stealing your Swtor account. They want personal info like CC info to sell or the database of the user/passwords to sell to a 3rd party. They would be attacking Biowares internal network. Not brute forcing your account.

"Gold Farmers......." Don't brute force, they either buy email/password lists from other hacked sites or hack vulnerable forum/game sites and use it to try and access accounts for other games. Majority of users don't practice good security and use email addresses on multiple sites. You yourself probably don't but for every 1 person that does, there is probably a couple hundred that don't

Simple passwords... Again this is your own fault, not biowares, if your using a simple password like 'Password1' then you should seriously consider changing it to something much harder to guess like P2Ssw4Rd (replace each vowel with an even number and capitalize the next letter). And obviously don't use the word password.

Scenario 2

Try to log in with someones display name, click forgot password, but I don't have your email address so now I am kinda stuck because I don't know where they are sending the password. I could try to social engineer the answer out of the person, or Bioware, lets say im successful, I still don't know the password to the email account, so were back to either trying scenario 1 on the email site, or back to trying to socially engineer the password out of the person. If you give up your password to someone its your own fault and you can't blame BW for that.

Most email sites now have some sort of 2 factor or 2 step verification, you also shouldn't be using the same password for email and other sites. And if someone does ask you for your password, you should be asking yourself why, since no one ever would ask your for that info.

Those claiming that they know "50% of the login" are missing SAQ's and IP verification, so really you only know 33%, 25% if they are using an authenticator

If I had to guess the reason they are moving away from email is to seperate your email address from display name to be able to start using email verification steps for login, for users that either can't get an authenticator, don't want one, but want some sort of 2-factor login.

Whats funny is this same fear mongering / argument went down before launch when they were using email addresses to login. Now that they are changing it, same fear mongering / argument. Damned if you do, damned if you don't

TL;DR

Usernames should not be a protection for authentication. Authentication is separate from identification. Identification is a piece of data that describes an individual or group. Most of the time a username is a sequence of characters that uniquely identifies an individual. Typically an individual is authenticated with a password. I may claim I am Margret Thatcher, but if I can not type in Margret Thatcher's password than I can not authenticate as Margret Thatcher.

Nicely summarized and explained Mogic. :)

Requoted, in it's entirety.... simply because this sane post needs to be reinforced over and over again for some.

Ok. With the change of login from email to user name, there are a lot of concerns. In Developer forum BW says "An attacker will not be able to 'lock out' a players account, and at the same time will not be able to 'brute force' getting into the account."

How are both true?

They also say that this will be more secure. Nothing they are saying about this seems to make sense. If someone can attempt to log in without locking out the account, how is that more secure? If the account can be locked out, then why give all of our user names to the world?

Ok. With the change of login from email to user name, there are a lot of concerns. In Developer forum BW says "An attacker will not be able to 'lock out' a players account, and at the same time will not be able to 'brute force' getting into the account."

How are both true?

They also say that this will be more secure. Nothing they are saying about this seems to make sense. If someone can attempt to log in without locking out the account, how is that more secure? If the account can be locked out, then why give all of our user names to the world?

A ban/block of some length on the offending IP address with a threshold high enough so that it only fires on brute force activity as opposed to simple user error would accomplish it.

This does not bother me one bit. After all we already have the option to use our Display Name to Log-In and it is not like I have not been on other sites and games that do the same thing. Basically many of the sites and games I have used and played use my Display Name that I make for that service.

For me, I in fact much rather like to use my Display Name over my Email Address. For one it is completely different from any of my Email Addresses out there. Your Email Address is more important than a Display name as it grants more access if people find that out. In fact knowing the Email Address makes Finding out the Password or Impersonating the Person much easier. In my opinion, the Less opportunity people have to find out an email the better.

You know I fear the people walking by when I use my Laptop in public more than I fear a person attacking this account system or forums and game. there is just something about having an email address displayed on the screen as people walk by that bugs me. :rolleyes:

You know speaking of Security, it is kind of the reason I went ahead and got the Security Key Device. It is just one other added bit of security that a person needs to go through. I really suggest that if players out there have not done this, that they go ahead and do so. It doesn't matter if they choose the App or the Actual Key Chain Device. But if they do this it does help in Security, which is why I would suggest that people get it. Especially those that are worried about it.

That is just my opinion. :cool:

Only people that post on the Forums have their Display Name visible to others currently. Even then we took that into account when designing the updated system and I wouldn't recommend trying to attack known Display Names...

You should log on to Steam again - they currently only use the equivalent of DisplayName, and that name is what you are known as to all your friends (and in the community section of Steam for that matter).

You know in reading this thread I see people saying otherwise to this. Not sure if Steam changed something down the line but for me my Display Name there is the same as what I use to log-in. Of coarse I made my Steam Account a long time ago and I do not use it much as I really am not a fan of Steam so I am not sure if they changed that in some way. So what you say here is correct for what my experience with Steam is.

How are both true?

Because it IP bans them. You will still be able to log in from your IP address.

I do have a question. Is there any chance we'll be able to write our own security questions? Or get more options than what's there currently? The current ones don't seem particularly secure.

You can put anything you like in those answers. You don't have to answer truthfully :p As long as you remember what your answers are.

What is your favorite color?

Broomticket

Edited by DaRoamer

You can put anything you like in those answers. You don't have to answer truthfully :p As long as you remember what your answers are.

Broomticket

While that's true, it's hard for me to remember wrong answers to questions I only encounter a couple times a year.

Broomticket

:rak_03:

Q: "What's your primary school?"

A: "superman"

I love the way you answered this. I do not think I could have said it better. :D

You pretty much nailed it as it does not matter what what your answer is. It does not have to be anything related to the question. Just make something up. I personally do that a lot. :rolleyes:

So in case you haven't come across me before (most haven't!), I'm Phillip Holmes, the Senior Manager of Security here at Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Actually today an attacker also needs to know the answers to your Security Questions. In the future (more news in the next few weeks) that will require the attacker to also know your email account password. We also monitor for brute force attacks and have other systems in place to mitigate that type of threat.

To this I have to repeat the plea: Please let us choose our own questions. The questions to choose from partly ask for information that can be obtained or guessed with a little research.

Giving me the option to choose my own security questions would enable me to ask for information that I know is not publicly available or guessable.

This is especially important since only an address and the 3 security questions are required to remove the security key from an account.

I love the way you answered this. I do not think I could have said it better. :D

You pretty much nailed it as it does not matter what what your answer is. It does not have to be anything related to the question. Just make something up. I personally do that a lot. :rolleyes:

I used to do that, but it became a bother to manage all the wrong answers. In the end, it's inconvenient, and once inconvenience reaches critical mass it becomes a huge danger to caution.

Edited by KyaniteD

To this I have to repeat the plea: Please let us choose our own questions. The questions to choose from partly ask for information that can be obtained or guessed with a little research.

Giving me the option to choose my own security questions would enable me to ask for information that I know is not publicly available or guessable.

This is especially important since only an address and the 3 security questions are required to remove the security key from an account.

As as been stated before, what you put into the security question answer text box doesn't have to relate to the actual question at all. Make up your own question. Answer "jizzlesnort". Whatever.

I was quite amused that one of the security questions is "favorite movie". How many unthinkingly answered, "Star Wars"? I sure didn't!

• Dev Post

We had a minor issue with uploading one of my posts yesterday, and it lost the 'Next BW Post' link as a result. So just in case you missed it, here is a list of the posts thus far!

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=5954106#post5954106 (Courtney's starting post)

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=5955636#post5955636 (First reply)

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=5961316#post5961316 (Second reply - this is the one with the missing link)

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=5961675#post5961675 (Third reply)

OK - pages 31 to 37 answers...

When will we get an authentication app for (don't hate) Windows 7/8 phones? I'm not going to carry my keyfob with me everywhere just so I can login to the website, so I've yet to activate it...but I would activate if I had an app I could access from my phone.

We have Security Key applications for Windows Phones (and Blackberry even) on the list of 'would be really nice to have', but there is no current development plans for those at this time. That is a business decision based on market share - the development effort is not trivial, and until the percentages change significantly (which they could!) we probably will not get funding for the work involved. I've used Windows Phones most of my life, so this is a topic near and dear to my heart as well :jawa_grin:

This is going to be blunt but you are wrong. I'm sorry. How do i know? Last week i upgraded from my iPhone 4 to an iPhone 5. Upon restoring my backup via iTunes, I found the app was crashing. Security feature, maybe? Anyway, i grabbed the details i saved and removed and restored the app from the app store. I input the saved information and I now have a working security app for my account. Been using it ever since i got the iPhone5.

I will have that functionality tested again - the time period for being able to reuse the same key successfully (and this relates to the Mobile version only) should stop that after a certain number of authentications. It's possible the configuration changed when we consolidated some of our back-end systems, so I'll get the configuration validated for sure. I'll make sure if we do have a configuration change there that we only change it after the self-service options are available (your next question is actually related after all).

Unrelated note but both blizzard and Sony have a way for me to remove an authenticator my self incase of upgrading the device/changing the keyfob. Any chance of that here?

As part of the April 2nd release or later? I can't say just yet on April 2nd, but this is one of the ducks I'm lining up. It's no coincidence that the change we are making is related to that (among other) self-service implementations. One of the ducks even has 'move' in it's name.

I wonder if this might be a prelude to using Display Names as handles attached to character names... like STO does it. I know a lot of people have been upset over losing character names in the server merges, so this would be a way to let them have their names back (not saying this is a good thing... it just sticks out as a possibility). So instead of having a character named Mara and being the only Mara on the server, I'd be "Mara@InvinciBelle". It'd only display "Mara" in the game world, but when you click to friend or chat it'd clarify with the "@InvinciBelle" added to it. And that way there would be no more unique names and everyone who lost their original names could have them back.

Again, I'm not saying this is a good idea (I kinda like having a unique identity, even if it's not the one I wanted)... just that this seemed like a possible direction after I read the announcement.

The removal of email address as a username option is a change to our out-of-game authentication system only. No in-game name changes will result. I thought it best to clear that up...

ok tin foil hat time, this change is due to splitting off swtor ,to in effect create different account.

Also squashing this before it becomes a rumour - we aren't splitting off SWTOR from EA. The change in our authentication system is an enabler for modifications or additional systems associated with authentication only.

Way it was done previously:

login using email, (which someone would have to guess), and password . More secure

Way it will be done now:

Login using username (which EVERYONE knows) and password. LESS secure

Because an IP ADDRESS is not a form of 'security.

limiting logins based on IP address is just the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of (well, almost as ridiculous as just giving users 1/2 the login credentials to get to my account, or anyone's for that matter). What about individuals who travel frequently, but want to play? What if someone moves? There are HUNDREDS of variables here, and limiting logins by IP on an MMO is just RIDICULOUS.

Relying purely on IP Address indeed would be ridiculous. Imagine a university dorm and everybody being able to play each others accounts. That would be horrific if you valued your account at all in that scenario.

All these scenarios (and many many more) have been considered and mitigated. We aren't relying solely on one control (such as an IP Address) to protect an account, just as we have never relied on just username/password in the live game. We rely on many controls that work together to protect the account. Yes we are changing some of those controls, but only so we can put additional systems in place without removing security. The upshot is that accounts will be in an even more secure state as of April 2nd.

I completely agree with this assessment.

Starting with 2nd April, all the hackers have to do is browse the SWToR forum for display names in order to get half of people's login credentials.

Incorrect. There are two main ways of hacking into ones account - the phishing and the keylogger virus.

1) The phishing hacker already knows your email, since he already sent you a phishing e-mail. As you go to the page linked by the phishing e-mail and use your display name to log in, he will have both the e-mail and the display name.

2) If you have a key-logger virus on your computer, the hacker will get both the email address (as you log into origin) and the display name (as you log into SWToR) in order to play the game.

Even today, hackers can browse the SWTOR forums for Display Names. It doesn't give them anywhere near half of a players login credentials though, and we have built our security based on the knowledge that some players use the same username and even the same password on multiple websites. With the number of compromises of those credentials at other companies in the last few years, the concept that 'username' is something to try and protect is a foolish concept indeed. It's why we have so many other controls in place to make knowledge of the username in of itself irrelevant.

You are right that two of the ways of being 'hacked' is phishing and keyloggers. And these are things that you as a player (indeed, all the players!) can and should control. There are some very simple ways to protect yourself:

* Ensure you have a good AV program installed and kept up to date

* Use a unique password on your email account

* If possible put a two-factor system around your email account (Two-Step for GMail is the most obvious/easy to get of the solutions out there)

* Don't visit hacker websites, or for that matter most **** sites - a lot of them have virus attacks included in viewing the pages

* Don't open attachments on emails that you aren't expecting. You have more chance of winning the lottery by buying a ticket in a shop...

* There are many other things you can do - research 'securing my home computer' on Google and do 'all the things' you can!

I tried to strengthen my password in TOR. I tried to generate a long complex password with KeePass. Even after I do a random gen in KeePass I go in and change a few around. And TOR wouldn't accept it unless I shortened it CONSIDERABLY. Like cut it to 1/3 the length. What kind of "superior security" is that?

The maximum length of 16 characters is an EA restriction due to a lot of other systems across EA that cannot handle more than 16 characters still. One day that may change (and I continually push for that work to be completed!), so in the meantime we have many other controls in place to make a shorter password not as important as it otherwise could have been. Being forced to have a shorter password has meant we have placed more controls than we otherwise would have, which is why you don't see thousands of 'my account was hacked' posts on a daily basis. Sometimes being restricted in specific instances on what security we can implement has created better security overall due to the other controls we put in place.

Forget about security for a second. You are not giving us control over whether the username is hidden or visible, and lack of control is obviously what's making us "vocal." It doesn't matter whether a hidden username actually increases security or not; in our minds it does. Consider the cost of implementing a hidden username or non-login forum name solely against the benefit of shutting us the hell up and having happier customers.

It's what you're doing with your posting, anyway, trying to get us to be less vocal. It's not working for some of us. You're using reason and logical explanations to argue agains how we feel. It's not working.

That has to be one of the best posts in this entire thread! I would love to care more about peoples feelings when it comes to security, however the attackers/hackers out there don't. Not one bit. Personally I do care, but professionally I also have to deal with the attackers, so I have to cater for their level of caring and look at security from the point of view of boring concepts such as logic. If that focus on preventing zero-feeling attacks has bled over into my answers, then I can only apologize - my ambition is to ensure we continue to keep accounts secure at a reasonable level of cost. That, and nobody likes my idea of requesting a pint of blood for DNA verification every time a player logs in. :jawa_angel:

I actually like people being vocal btw. It helps ensure we haven't missed anything (there are a lot more of you than us working here!), and I can safely say that nobody has brought up a concern with regards to the change to Display Name only that we haven't already planned for or mitigated by ensuring we have other controls in place. I'm just trying to alleviate (or even educate) people with regards to better security, as it is a very complicated subject that most people take for granted without fully understanding. Perceptions based on less than full understanding are something I'm trying to get to perceptions based on better understanding...

I call BS. This level of detail and attentiveness requires a much larger time commitment.

Don't stop the sass, Phillip. These guys need to know that

1. British people are the funniest.

2. Amateurs and arm-chair analysts are not qualified to weigh in on internet security

OK - you caught me. I'm only spending a few minutes on each answer. :jawa_cool: The reason there has usually been a day delay in answering the questions is that I'm writing up the answers out of office hours most of the time.

How are both true?

Both are true as we have other controls in place which we don't talk about, and from a players perspective you will never see in action as you aren't trying to 'hack' your own account. Attackers on the other hand trigger the other controls and are dealt with accordingly - that's why those other controls exist to protect your legitimate usage of your account.

I do have a question. Is there any chance we'll be able to write our own security questions? Or get more options than what's there currently? The current ones don't seem particularly secure.

Within SWTOR we will not be changing the system to allow custom questions. More options than there are currently has been looked at a few times already, and I'm sure it will come up as a topic internally again. With regards to the custom questions, while most people are very polite with the answers, the questions themselves are also used as voice verification for Customer Services, and impolite custom questions are something we would like to protect our CS staff from when a disgruntled player could otherwise be impolite.

Broomticket

I too don't answer the answers truthfully! To prevent myself from forgetting the answers though, I keep them locked up in a little program called Password Safe (sourceforge project). There are quite a few similar programs out there such as KeePass, and I highly recommend using one to avoid that 'forgot!' moment. I use a different answer on every site as well, so would never be able to remember the answers if I wanted to...

Just never ever use that 'master password' anywhere else!

OK, finished with page 39 now...

As as been stated before, what you put into the security question answer text box doesn't have to relate to the actual question at all. Make up your own question. Answer "jizzlesnort". Whatever.

I was quite amused that one of the security questions is "favorite movie". How many unthinkingly answered, "Star Wars"? I sure didn't!

Edited my post. 14 years on the Internet with fake answers made me in the end return to the truth, because the truth is easier to remember, doesn't get lost in when a notebook or calendar is lost or a hard drives is wiped.

Just an option to let us choose our own questions would be enough. Or mix it, make it a choice of 3 fixed and 3 freely chosen ones.

Edited by KyaniteD

Hilarious..... except the hypothetical you quoted is inaccurate.

It's pretty simple to put anti-griefing measures in place with existing systems to prevent this. In fact, it's clear that they already exist, and have since launch. But hey... feel free to try to grief forum members and see what happens. They will lock-out your IP (since it is not recognized and validated for the account you are trying to grief), and then look it up to see in their database to see what actual SWTOR account validly uses your IP and then send you a ban notice for attemting to hack someone elses account.

The only real griefing vulnerability is another family member inside your own IP range set....and that really is a family behavior problem, not a security problem.

a simple router reset will unban my ip (or disable static ip)

a simple router reset will unban my ip (or disable static ip)

And how many router resets do you suppose a hacker will go through in order to finally gain access, assuming the router reset doesn't just result in them being assigned the same IP anyway?

Most hackers are looking for the quickest way in. To them, time is money. Measures that extend the time required by any appreciable length make it cost prohibitive so they move on.

You know what gets me the most out of all this and is making me laugh about all these complaints?

So many people are complaining about something that is already in place and already able to be done. Basically you can already use you Display Name to login so it makes no difference if they remove the ability to use Email Address or not. If you are afraid of someone knowing and trying to use your Display Name to hack your account, you are already to late. I just find it funny that people are overlooking this and making a fuss about it. :D

So why even complain about them removing the ability to use your Email and only use your Display Name? It is better to not use an email address after all.

Anyways that is just my view on it. :rolleyes:

Holy fish-sticks the amount of complaining here is truly hysterical.

It's pretty damn clear that Phillip KNOWS what he's talking about, and I love his little bits of British humor thrown in (I'm a fan of British humor personally), and again as has been pointed out SEVERAL TIMES, you can

ALREADY USE YOUR DISPLAY NAME TO LOG IN

so the people here freaking out about it are looking twice as silly right now, also ask yourself this, how often have we actually heard about accounts being hacked? Personally the last time I heard about someone getting hacked was back in October of last year, so about 6 months ago, compare that to WoW or Rift where someone's getting hacked nearly every other day, it's pretty damn clear that from his immense amounts of patience in answering our questions that Bioware is taking this security thing extremely seriously and wouldn't be doing this unless it was meant to also help improve security.

Also folks, please remember that Phillip has nothing to do with game coding or bug smashing, he's there for security, just like a member on the coding team wouldn't have anything to do with security he has nothing to do with coding or bug squashing and would more than likely screw things up if he even tried fixing some bugs :p

Let's all just calm the fark down trust in what Phillip is saying, because again, its pretty damn clear with how articulate he is in his answers (which I'm truly amazed how detailed he is in answering multiple questions) that things will work out fine and he knows what he's doing.

First off I do want to thank you for coming on to the forums to attempt to explain this.

However,

Based on the feedback you will be happy to hear that we are again discussing the perceived issue. I can't promise 'soon' - heck, I can't promise 'later' just yet. It is likely based on the underlying systems that we will not change the account Display Name, but rather look at adding a new Forum Name that can be different.

This proposed solution is simply not good enough. You have let the cat out of the bag and the only way to put it back again is to allow us to change the login name and have it different to our existing display name. The other way around doesn't work as the information is already public, besides which I chose my display name because that is in fact how I wish to be displayed. I use the same one on several game sites, all of which use a different identifier as login, and it has never been any kind of security issue before now.

Also allowing people to change display name on the forum means losing track of who said what and can itself be a source of confusion. Since I am pretty sure that you use some kind of numeric identifier for users internally then it should technically be possible to change the name associated with that identifier, though obviously I don't know how easy this would be.

While we are at account security, I've 2 questions:

1) Why we have to call customer suport to de-attach authenticator from our phone. Can't it be done in-account or in-app.

2) Do you plan to release Windows Phone / Windows desktop version of authenticator app?

While we are at account security, I've 2 questions:

1) Why we have to call customer suport to de-attach authenticator from our phone. Can't it be done in-account or in-app.

2) Do you plan to release Windows Phone / Windows desktop version of authenticator app?

As for 1), he mentioned part of the reason for making this change to log in was to implement more "self-help" features and reduce the need to call customer support.

Love the back and forth going on here even if it seems a bit of a waste of time. Some people will just not get it no matter how hard you try to explain it while keeping certain information on a need-to-know basis. Eventually you just have to rely on the 'BECAUSE I SAID SO' method...:eek: