Upgraded Distortion Field Not Breaking Missile Lock

Korithras

hmm I have fully upgraded Dfield and it breaks locks just fine. Are you eating clusters through it?

I was being pursued, barrel roll was on cooldown and I heard the alert I was going to be locked up, popped distortion field, and it didn't break.

The thing is, it breaks "missile locks", it does NOT "evade missiles".

Could this be the oversight?

(If not, then don't forget to pop it a touch early to counter lag when you try it next time, engine abilities bridge this gap, but the lag can and does muck with those last second D-field lock breaks)

Edited by DEATHICIDE

It works just like the other stuff, except being instant instead of several seconds long.

> It DOES break missile locks. All of them.

> It DOES cancel missiles in flight. All of them. The animation still plays.

> It does NOT behave any differently with the confirmed bugged missile sentry drones, which sometimes to always ignore missile locks.

> It does NOT behave any differently with the possibly bugged double volley clusters, whose second volley is not broken by the same mechanic that breaks the first, once the missiles are in flight.

It is working. Like someone previously said, maybe lag made it so the missile hit you before you popped it. I have even broken locks from seeker mines and drone missiles with it. I'll also point out that it only breaks the lock. It doesn't provide you with a few seconds of lock immunity like the engine ability does. This means you could click it and a split second later they could be locking on you again.

I was being pursued, barrel roll was on cooldown and I heard the alert I was going to be locked up, popped distortion field, and it didn't break.

It could have been a seeker mine. These are bugged and you will sometimes still get hit by them.

Seeker mines are so screwed up right now that they continue to pursue me and Explode even if I'm already destroyed. I have seen missile drones continue to lock onto my dead corpse and try to fire off a missile. Drones have a lot of issues right now. Even Railgun drones are reportedly hitting players through asteroids and cover so long as it had you targeted while it charged. Missile locking has a plethora of issues right now, but I still play my Pike. :-)

What? Breaking missile locks and evading missiles mean the same thing in this game. You break the lock, boom, missile doesn't hit you.

Looking at the tooltips:

Retro Thrusters = "Evades lock-on missiles when activated" = If used during a missile lock, the missile lock will break. If used after a missile is in flight, the missile will be evaded.

Distortion Field = "Disables missile lock of enemies currently targeting you." = If used during a missile lock, the lock will break. If used after a missile is already in flight, it will not evade the missile.

If you have information to the contrary, it's news to me.

No information, just experience.

The descriptions you said are different, but have the same effect.

Descriptions for Plasma warheads, or the engine disable on EMP, are also different while they do the same thing.

What OP said could be caused by several things, starting by buggy clusters, through lag and buggy drones, to just a game coincidence (you evaded one lock, but got fired at by a drone/mine at the same moment).

It doesn't break a lock, it stops you from getting locked on.

I'm aware of that. I pop it when I hear the warning that I'm being locked up, not that I've got a missile incoming. Also, they're fixing it with 2.6.1 tomorrow. So I'm not crazy. Now if they'd just nerf bombers and gunships like they need to, this game would be balanced.

I've used both of those since day two (three?) of early access. They both have always broken locks of missiles in flight and missiles not yet launched. The way they're worded is funky (you're overthinking it, assume the simplest possible interpretation for the dumbest possible playerbase).

Now if they'd just nerf bombers and gunships like they need to, this game would be balanced.

Really... you're mentioning this on several threads... we get it... you can't handle bombers.

Please note the OP is talking about distortion field and missile locks...