Why is there a copy protection system in the graphics, and is it crippling the game?

Tiron_Raptor

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It would certainly go a long way to explaining no HD Textures and 8 Bit looking shadows. As well as the obvious performance issues regardless of system quality. Not to mention completely contradicting their responses on eurogamer.

A severe oversight pertaining to basic MMO functionality from Bioware?

No wai!

Honestly I'd be more inclined to think that it was EA, Lucasarts, or some combination of the two that brought this in. EA's already had a few controversies due to overzealous DRM, and LA's wrecked at least a couple of games with edicts from on high, including SWG.

No, but it helps.

Honestly, I would really prefer it if I was wrong... If it turns out to be true it could generate a ton of bad press and flat out kill the game. For the most part, it's a really good game.

SOME of the rendering: what I've seen so far sounds like it's mostly or entirely the character models it's affecting. Your computer still has to splice the different bits together.

Yeah, don't get me wrong. I'm well aware of the issues that some players have had, and whatever potential this system has for good appears to being completely overridden.

Perhaps this has something to do with the long loading times for some areas aswell, it's kinda strange how the loading bar just stops (HDD activity also reduces to minimum) at about 30% through as if you are queued for something remote.

Yeah, don't get me wrong. I'm well aware of the issues that some players have had, and whatever potential this system has for good appears to being completely overridden.

As has been pointed out, rendering it on the server would take a tremendous amount of bandwidth and server resources, which costs EA a lot of money, so it's pretty likely they wouldn't do that in any case.

Gotta say that this is very interesting reading.

I myself am not too fussed about the texture quality. I like the way the game looks as it is but I can see where the people who want better come from. Better textures wouldn't hurt.

This thing, if true, stretches a lot further than just textures. So I am eagerly seeing where this thread leads.

Didn't have time to read all the threads but how much of this is fact and how much is speculation. Because from the posts I read i've seen it's mostly wild speculation based of a the name of a DLL.

Someone actually took apart the DLL to find where it was apparently reducing texture size, for a start.

The second swtor.exe process also seems to be somehow tied into the remote rendering server file.

I'm not sure where the inital person to claim it was a copy protection mechanism got his data: might've gotten it from that research paper I found on google because some of it was almost the same.

So yeah, largely speculation, but it fits the facts far, far too well for my liking.

Also, it's really hard to explain what else a 'remote renderer' could be...

If this is true all I want to hear is, "Sorry folks, this system didn't work out and here's the date that it will be fixed/disabled..." This Big Brother stuff with removing options instead of fixing them is a really poor response that needs to stop now.

What an incredibly horrible technical decision, if true. Hopefully this is something they can remove without too much difficulty.

BW: DRM will never do anything to stop those you might fear would "Steal" your art assets.

It will only degrade the game (as we are apparently seeing here) and cause technical hardships for your legitimate paying customers.

I really don't understand what chain of logic could possibly have resulted in this kind of a setup.

I'm really glad I don't work QA for you guys.

Perhaps this has something to do with the long loading times for some areas aswell, it's kinda strange how the loading bar just stops (HDD activity also reduces to minimum) at about 30% through as if you are queued for something remote.

I have this. Every freaking area.

Begs the question why can't they be like every other gaming company and just sue people into oblivion who steal their data vs throttling the games performance for the sake protection. Edited by KreiosX