Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Whilst Bioware has a good track record of offering non-heterosexual romance options in its games, attracting the ire of religious and homophobic groups for the inclusion of SGR in the Mass Effect series and its plans to do so for Star Wars, the decision to restrict them solely to Makeb for the time being has upset many who had campaigned for their introduction. As a result, Bioware and EA have been accused of marginalising, ghettoising or segregating non-heterosexual romance."[/Quote]

Who ever said that?

I'm sure I didn't see any of those responses here, or maybe I'm snowblind to stuff already.

At this point I'd like it if Bioware would do something to clear the bad air - just open up and talk about why they had such crappy communication on this subject in particular, why they decided it wasn't important enough to actually develop at the same time as OGRA's (because obviously, that decision was made) and why they felt that a gag order was necessary.
I'd support that. Not sure it's gonna happen though.

Would be great to get some more insight though, finally.

SithKoriandr, I quote myself:

This thread was originally about asking for clarification about when (and if possible, how) SGRs were going to be implemented. It still is, because as time goes on and SGRs don’t appear for companions, we’re going to want more clarification.

In the meantime, however, as you well know, the scope of this thread has become fuzzy, at the behest of the mods. So now it’s also a place for discussing how SGRs could be implemented (and all the myriad details that that entails). In this thread the debates are now about what to do vis-à-vis SGR-implementation. Anti-SGR players are welcome to come and debate those details if they want to. They’re not welcome to come and rail against actually implementing SGRs (and I include in that comment all the sneaky ways that that type of poster has to try to argue against SGRs). Not that anti-SGR types don’t come here anyway to speak against SGRs – but they’re clearly off-topic and rude.

The other thread is explicitly a place for the anti-SGR crowd to rail against SGRs. Hence it is also the place where that issue is debated. So long as posters stick to the topic and politely/respectfully debate the point ‘SGRs should not be included’, they should be welcome in that thread (but not here).

A lot of good points but one sticks out: 'say nice things.' We tried that. For a long time we tried nice things. It got us exactly nothing. We only got one question answered at the Summit because it was sprung on the dev team.

No, I don't think they're out to get us, nor that they're inherently homophobic or even bad people. I'm sure they were overwhelmed at what it takes to run an MMO and underestimated the scope of their project - but communication with the pro-SGRA crowd was horribly mismanaged and there's no way around that.

Now this is just entitlement issues. There is nothing that says they as a company need to have great communication with any part of the player base. It's a great thing when they do of course. It's an awesome thing! But when making a product (which is what they're doing) they shouldn't be forced into adding a feature they dont have the time/money/whatever to allocate to it, more so if they're not sure it'll be worth the time/money.

Look in this thread at what was posted. "Taking this to GLAAD" or "The devs are obviously anti-gay because it wasn't in, in the first place"

Now that it's started to be put in, the last one seems to be backtracked to "Oh, well, they handled the information poorly." you know, nevermind that they may not have known what would make it in where yet.

SithKoriandr, I quote myself:

Well then, the suggestion for how it should be implemented is simple. When they have time, one companion at a time.

It allows them to see if adding it to other classes is worth their time and effort. Does adding it in increase their player base? Does the class become less or more popular? If it stays the same, is it because the vast majority of players don't care about the story? Does it being back players who said "I'm quitting untill it's added in" as this would then have it added in.

Now this is just entitlement issues. There is nothing that says they as a company need to have great communication with any part of the player base. It's a great thing when they do of course. It's an awesome thing! But when making a product (which is what they're doing) they shouldn't be forced into adding a feature they dont have the time/money/whatever to allocate to it, more so if they're not sure it'll be worth the time/money.
Nice switch! In mid-argument you suddenly started talking about being "forced" to add stuff when the point you're questioning is that BW didn't communicate well when they went months without saying anything.

Well then, the suggestion for how it should be implemented is simple. When they have time, one companion at a time.

This is not the Suggestion forum though. I see you love this topic so much it's hard to let go and we appreciate you taking the time to answer to our every posts in here, instead of just making it into one post at a time, mingling different posters together, using one person's post versus another person's post as an attempt to demonstrate inconsistency in our argumentation. Well, good on you.

I'd rather stick to the original topic of discussion though, implementation and forms of implementation of SGR and communication of such, instead of debating ourselves.

As fascinating as we seem to be appearing to you, it's not the topic of this thread.

Fox article was already posted and discussed, the other two were new and a little less stupid (not by a large margin)

Those individuals writing the articles (not at Fox, mind you) probably think they're doing us some great justice by saying "Look! Look at how Bioware treats its gays! Just look at it" with much exaggerated and self-congratulatory pointing, but in reality they're just making people hate us even more. The anti's see it as a furthering of our "social justice whaamublance" and those on the fence likely feel it to be an overbearing mole hill.

And it is so nice to see the cherry-picking copy-pasta being used by these writers and editors, rather than them having the balls to actually come along and talk to us, and ask us our honest opinions. No, I wouldn't say we're mostly exuberant and ecstatic with the news, but it's a step in the right direction - we just need more information from Bioware, not hand-wringing band-wagon'ing from the media (particularly those who sniffed at this topic for the past twelve months.)

Most journalism/news media sources are nothing but a circus. They want to create drama get people to gawk at it. They don't care about anything but getting ratings/viewers/hits. I am quite frankly very sick of it all. Especially after some of the major tragedies that have occurred and how they were handled.

I do hope Bioware can find a way to address some of this nonsense before it spirals out of control even more.

I do hope Bioware can find a way to address some of this nonsense before it spirals out of control even more.

"We don't talk about up coming content nor do we give statements to the media."

Bioware have been happily deleting threads about the articles (they likely just devolve into flame wares anyway), so don't expect them to come out and say anything. I'm not.

Hi at all,

I would like to see my Chars in same gender relationships, but it is not nessecary for me.

What I would really love to see is a story about two gay or lesbien Jedi, who were not allowed to have a relationship, because they are Jedi. In the end, the player should decide, if he wants to support the relationship or not. There shouldn´t be any good or bad points for it. Just a nice romantic story, in which the player can decide freely.

So far,

may be the force with you ;)

Those individuals writing the articles (not at Fox, mind you) probably think they're doing us some great justice by saying "Look! Look at how Bioware treats its gays! Just look at it" with much exaggerated and self-congratulatory pointing, but in reality they're just making people hate us even more. The anti's see it as a furthering of our "social justice whaamublance" and those on the fence likely feel it to be an overbearing mole hill.

Ugh, that would be unfortunate. The articles are definitely blowing things out of proportion. They like to ignore that future content SGRA (probably with companions either old/new) is apparently in the works. While it is true that in a few months the only SGRA content in SWTOR will be on one planet (Makeb) and requires money to access, there is no indication that this is all BW has planned in that area...they seem to forget that part.

Ugh, that would be unfortunate. The articles are definitely blowing things out of proportion. They like to ignore that future content SGRA (probably with companions either old/new) is apparently in the works. While it is true that in a few months the only SGRA content in SWTOR will be on one planet (Makeb) and requires money to access, there is no indication that this is all BW has planned in that area...they seem to forget that part.

No, they conveniently forget to include that tidbit of information as it does not sit with their "Bioware is anti-gay and that's bad/good (delete as applicable)" stance. I get the feeling that this string of articles is a result of going "ooh, that's new" at someone else's work and writing an article based on that, rather than doing any actual research into the subject. It explains the same overall tone and lack of information.

This is not the Suggestion forum though. I see you love this topic so much it's hard to let go and we appreciate you taking the time to answer to our every posts in here, instead of just making it into one post at a time, mingling different posters together, using one person's post versus another person's post as an attempt to demonstrate inconsistency in our argumentation. Well, good on you.

I'd rather stick to the original topic of discussion though, implementation and forms of implementation of SGR and communication of such, instead of debating ourselves.

As fascinating as we seem to be appearing to you, it's not the topic of this thread.

As per quoted to me by markcymru

This thread was originally about asking for clarification about when (and if possible, how) SGRs were going to be implemented. It still is, because as time goes on and SGRs don’t appear for companions, we’re going to want more clarification.

In the meantime, however, as you well know, the scope of this thread has become fuzzy, at the behest of the mods. So now it’s also a place for discussing how SGRs could be implemented (and all the myriad details that that entails). In this thread the debates are now about what to do vis-à-vis SGR-implementation. Anti-SGR players are welcome to come and debate those details if they want to. They’re not welcome to come and rail against actually implementing SGRs (and I include in that comment all the sneaky ways that that type of poster has to try to argue against SGRs). Not that anti-SGR types don’t come here anyway to speak against SGRs – but they’re clearly off-topic and rude.

Clarification was already done. Companion romances at this time is a no, as it's harder work than they thought to implement now. However Flirt options in Makeb.

So I discussed/suggested how it could be implemented. My thought, one companion at a time, see how it plays out. I'd start with Quinn myself (cause come on, he's the sexy) then see if it brings in all those who say they're quitting without it, see if it drives any players off (for those who say it would), and it allows a team to work on one part, while the other teams work on new stuff, class balance (this one I just believe to be a pipe dream :p), cartel market items...ect...ect.

Your mistake is thinking I'm against SGR. What I'm against is a huge patch dedicated to revamping old content, and it would be a huge patch, because in my experience with MMOs, such patches seem to drive away rather than bring in ie: "What? Replay revamped content I've already done? Laaaaaame."

So totally pro-sgr. I think it just needs to be done in incremements. I mean really, I don't see people staying long if the only reason they play TOR is for the romance of any gender period SGR or OGR, as it's very short lived and nothing comes of it afterwards (my experience with Andy anyways...and to my knowledge how they all play out), and you don't even have to be level 50 to play it all out.

Something else they could do, is instead of going back and revamping the old companion missions, is just add on more. Once you've completed the original companion missions, more pop up inwhich now you can romance that companion you've been longing for. Might even take less work (I don't know really), as it would just be new scenes with a companion and not have to add in/fix old scenes to fit it all in.

Finish the last of Corso's current missions in the list, and then whooosh, more pop up as you've reached enough affection to start a romance! Whooot!

I agree with SithKoriandr about doing it all at once being a huge patch. And really, who wants to wait several hours for a patch to download?

So, perhaps doing it incrementally, one class at a time would be best, so long as too much time doesn't pass between adding one class and the next. Perhaps adding in the companion SGR material on a basis of one class per week until it's all in would be best? Or even just one companion per week?

It *does* need to be included going forward, but they *also* need to get it added to the existing (level 1-50) content to make it fair all around.

Edited by VelvetSanity

I agree with SithKoriandr about doing it all at once being a huge patch. And really, who wants to wait several hours for a patch to download?

I'd rather wait a few hours extra for all of the content to download than a few weeks or months extra because my favored class is the last one to get it. That's what I'm thinking.

I'd rather wait a few hours extra for all of the content to download than a few weeks or months extra because my favored class is the last one to get it. That's what I'm thinking.

Good way to learn patience. :)

And just a note, my saying start with Quinn wasn't based on my favorite class, as that goes to BH.

The one at a time idea is based on the idea that it starts putting SGR with the original companions in, while still focusing on other content, instead of "Patch 2.1 the SGR patch, new big patch in 10 weeks!"