• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

NGE implemented: November 2005

SWG servers shut down: December 2011

Yep, killed it only 6 short years later. :rolleyes:

-Macheath.

That game had been on Life Support for almost 4 years. It was dying way before that - they implemented the NGE in hopes of saving the game. But to be fair, the game was dying way before that; the CU was implemented because -- despite the fond remembrances some people display for SWG here -- the game plummeted in popularity almost immediately. The most cited reason? It didn't feel like Star Wars.

That game had been on Life Support for almost 4 years. It was dying way before that - they implemented the NGE in hopes of saving the game. But to be fair, the game was dying way before that; the CU was implemented because -- despite the fond remembrances some people display for SWG here -- the game plummeted in popularity almost immediately. The most cited reason? It didn't feel like Star Wars.

So True. I liked the game but your assessment is spot on.

Edited by Tomb-Stone

Gahh I remember when NGE hit SWG it was disaster. SWG was awesome but the NGE destroyed the game :(

You mean to say SWG was horrible of a game without any substance or content to it, unfortunately NGE failed to improve on that I take it. What a lackluster of a title that was.

We will see if that happens but it makes no sense to pull an article and re-release it the next day. The damage is already done.

It's probably just so BioWare can still change it... but to be honest, I expected the 15th already as the date we see 1.5 and F2P go life, so no real surprise here.

It's probably just so BioWare can still change it... but to be honest, I expected the 15th already as the date we see 1.5 and F2P go life, so no real surprise here.

The 15th makes sense, as that will be the final day on the current month for subscribers that have been with the game since release on Dec. 20.

So if the f2p release is scheduled for next week... do you think that there is enough time for Bioware to start a marketing campaign and create a new hype??

IMO they should have started the marketing 2 weeks prior to the launch not 7-5 days :/

NGE implemented: November 2005

SWG servers shut down: December 2011

Yep, killed it only 6 short years later. :rolleyes:

-Macheath.

Anyone who played that game that wasn't a complete moron knew NGE killed that game.

Then SOE took advantage of SWG's remaining population and made TCG which had hundreds of rare items that collectors would easily spend real life money to obtain them.

Star Wars Galaxies [sWG] was a game released by SOE in early 2000's, character progression when it started was skill tree based and you was able to mix and match to your preferences. It was a sandbox game, with full 3d spaceflight, complex resource system, the ability to build player ran cities, along with an overt/covert pvp system. It wasn't for everyone. The New Game Experience [NGE] was the second attempt to change the base mechanics of the game, streamlining the over 2 dozen profession skill trees into 9 class wheels, changing the combat system from the standard MMO style to a pseudo standard/FPS style combat [which I think was part of the CU that preceded the NGE].

SWG wasn't perfect, but had a lot of potential that was lost due to being mishandled by SOE.

In short, it was barely a game at all. The combat was always horrible, and as previously stated, it amounted to a poorly rendered chat room.

In short, it was barely a game at all. The combat was always horrible, and as previously stated, it amounted to a poorly rendered chat room.

Ok... so anything that doesn't offer an experience on rails with a strictly linear progression isn't a game?

Sorry, but SWG pre-CU/NGE was a better game than any current MMORPG in many ways as it allowed for true roleplaying. It was certainly not perfect and unfortunately riddled with bugs, but in terms of exploration, RP possibilities and sheer freedom it was unmatched.

Ok... so anything that doesn't offer an experience on rails with a strictly linear progression isn't a game?

Sorry, but SWG pre-CU/NGE was a better game than any current MMORPG in many ways as it allowed for true roleplaying. It was certainly not perfect and unfortunately riddled with bugs, but in terms of exploration, RP possibilities and sheer freedom it was unmatched.

I wouldn't go that far. Some of the elements were excellent though. Like you said it was conducive to RP and had some potiential to be amazing. They did fall short of providing more 'video gamey' or 'raid' elements though.

Can people finally accept the fact that SWG is no more? We can spend years talking about this game, and I'm sure many love it, but SWTOR will never be what SWG was. SWG had crappy sub numbers for a reason, and it wasn't doing all that great pre-NGE. It couldn't compete, so it died. SWTOR is trying to stay competitive in this market, and I don't think that's a bad thing.

Good job, SWTOR. Please don't become like SWG.

Yes exactly. Like I inferred, it was a chat room you could use your arrow keys to walkr around in and pick furntiure. Like a The Sims: Star Wars expansion. The actual 'game' aspect was either miserable or didn't exist. The ONLY thing it was good for was functioning as a platform for role playing and it's been pretty thoroughly proven that that wasn't what most people were looking for.

Yes exactly. Like I inferred, it was a chat room you could use your arrow keys to walkr around in and pick furntiure. Like a The Sims: Star Wars expansion. The actual 'game' aspect was either miserable or didn't exist. The ONLY thing it was good for was functioning as a platform for role playing and it's been pretty thoroughly proven that that wasn't what most people were looking for.

Agreed, combat was terrible...other games during that time were already surpassing it in terms of what they could do to make combat fun. That's why they tried the NGE, and after that flopped, there was nothing else to do.