1.2.7b Patch Notes clarification

Thanatus

In order to improve overall performance, the maximum number of simultaneous players on the Imperial and Republic Fleets has been decreased.

Does that mean that the # per instance has been lowered or that the overall number allowed on the server changed (i.e. server full / queue will start sooner)

Does that mean that the # per instance has been lowered or that the overall number allowed on the server changed (i.e. server full / queue will start sooner)

since they specifically said fleet i assume there will be more instances on the fleet in order to speed up game play

Since they're only speaking about the fleets and not any other instance in the game, it surely means they just lowered the number of players before another is spawned.

Edited by jgelling

Both republic and imperial law insist you must now remain on your ship when the fleet is over-crowded or face the concequences.

The number of players per fleet instance has been decreased because plenty of players had computers that suffered in crowded areas; primarily due to so many different models. Where those same computers would otherwise be fine in all other areas of the game.

Edited by Cooperal

I wonder how they plan to ever have "super servers" if an enclosed instance like the fleet is causing massive performance problems when 300+ are on.

Wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Cryptic and STO/CO has instances and they are all under 100. Why do you need more than that many people in one instance any way? Much better to have share a instance and have little lag than to be crowded on one big instance and it isn't really necessary.

I wonder how they plan to ever have "super servers" if an enclosed instance like the fleet is causing massive performance problems when 300+ are on.

i still havent seen a flat out post that someone from bioware said super servers were coming, I was under the impression that was a rumor made by the community because we read into everything..if thats not the case then i appologize. if its the community over reaching and over reading into things, we need to watch that or bad things can happen:P

i still havent seen a flat out post that someone from bioware said super servers were coming, I was under the impression that was a rumor made by the community because we read into everything..if thats not the case then i appologize. if its the community over reaching and over reading into things, we need to watch that or bad things can happen:P

It's in one of the Q&As from a few weeks ago.

http://www.swtor.com/blog/community-qa-may-25th-2012-%E2%80%93-special-edition-game-update-1.3#d

Edited by Tommot
Added the link

I don't believe this is a performance issue on the server end. I think the performance problems are from the client's processor and graphics card having to keep track of and render 300+ people in an instance. The servers could probably handle more than 300 people in the fleet, but the computers are the limiting factor here.