Non-Shield Generators with Shield Rating

DMortimer

So I noticed that there exist generators - non shield ones - with shield rating on them. I.E. the reverse engineered ones. (Rampart, Tempest, and Veracity) I'm trying to think of a purpose for these, and I'm drawing a blank. If they're not shields, and they fill the shield slot - so that if you wield them, you don't have a shield equipped - doesn't that mean the shield rating will do nothing?

That is correct.

They are a result of the easiest way to code Reverse Engineering. Simply allowing all possible variants on all types of gear is far easier than hand-picking item types and allowing/disallowing certain variants.

Too bad we can't delete them from our schematic list, because some are truly useless as you found out.

I'm less concerned with the tidiness of the craft menu in this case than I am with all the wasted materials used reverse engineering.

Just pretend it was yet another failure. Considering how many failures you're likely to have, 1 more isn't going to break the bank.

Not completely pointless - once you get it, your chance of the next successful RE giving you the schematic you want increases ;)

It could also be used by Powertechs/Juggernauts (and assassins? Haven't played one yet) and their republic counterparts since their defensive mode provides a shield chance and absorption boost. I have no idea why they'd not just use a shield generator instead, but still...

For others, wouldn't combining items with a boost to absorption rating and shield rating give you a small shield chance and absorb chance even without a shield generator or special modes?

All of those are cases where you STILL wouldn't use it since you'd be better off with either a shield generator or a power generator, but...still... ;)

Not completely pointless - once you get it, your chance of the next successful RE giving you the schematic you want increases ;)

It could also be used by Powertechs/Juggernauts (and assassins? Haven't played one yet) and their republic counterparts since their defensive mode provides a shield chance and absorption boost.

Completely pointless since instead of 1 out of X chances of some useful mod 10~20% of the time we have 1 out of X+1 and even X+3 if we consider shield, absorb and presence. Alacrity is the least useless of the unwanted mod, allowing to increase DPS with focus even if your class doesn't rely too much on that (could be negative for warriors/knights using their focus as a long duration, short distance CC, though).

And no, a shield/absorb mod won't give you a shield effect if you don't wear a shield.

Completely pointless since instead of 1 out of X chances of some useful mod 10~20% of the time we have 1 out of X+1 and even X+3 if we consider shield, absorb and presence. Alacrity is the least useless of the unwanted mod, allowing to increase DPS with focus even if your class doesn't rely too much on that (could be negative for warriors/knights using their focus as a long duration, short distance CC, though).

And no, a shield/absorb mod won't give you a shield effect if you don't wear a shield.

Exactly, like I said, the only actually useful thing about it is that the chance of getting the one you actually want next time goes up. You completely ignored the key part of my post:

All of those are cases where you STILL wouldn't use it since you'd be better off with either a shield generator or a power generator, but...still...