Farming commendations?

DPCummerbund

I've noticed that when I'm fighting mobs at my level, green-level drops are common, and I frequently get Commendations - several dozen in a few hours. I need to go back to a planet 6-8 levels below me to farm Commendations for an item I want. I have yet to get a green item, let alone a Commendation, even though I'm searching for elites that are at least green to me. Is there a specific formula for figuring out who drops Commendations and when (i.e. mobs at your level, Strong mobs within 2 of your level, elites within 4, etc.), or is it really just random?

unfortunately, I believe planet commendations on mobs are completely random. You may be lucky and get these instead of green quality items several times in a row, or go through an entire planet storyline without them dropping.

As Cleux above me wrote, the only reliable way of obtaining planet commendations are the rewards of the repeatable heroics.

No, there are mobs that always drop a commendation. Guaranteed.

Which ones?

For example, I needed commendations on Hoth (to buy a certain item), and soloed a Heroic 4 mission that involved killing like 50 elite mobs. Not one commendation among them.

In the end, the interesting thing about that quest was that when I turned it in, I got the very item I was looking for as a quest reward! Still, I may need commendations for other planets in the future, so it would be nice to know which mobs drop them.