Favorite Villain?

CourtneyWoods

Hey everyone,

Thought I would pop in here and contribute to the land of off-topicness. As some of you may or may not know, my major in college was "Villainy in literature, film, and other media." I spent four years reading/watching/playing different mediums and focusing on the villains in those mediums - everything from Iago to Voldemort.

So my question to you is do you have a favorite villain? If so, what do you think makes them a great villain?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently - Joffery Baratheon

He is played so well I just want to punch him in the face, not so much a villain but a angry little spoilt King.

He does have some good lines, and a touch of darkness mixed with the young naievity

Edited by Darka

Literature: Iago. Got to read his parts in English, and It was sooo much fun. Many of my favorite villains are manipulators, and no one fits the bill better than he.

Film: Vader. "Apology accepted, Captain Needa"

Video Games: Darth Traya. See above: Manipulators. Saren Arterius gets honorable mention, along with the Man of a Million Girlfriends,

Skavak

TV: That bastard Joffrey. So very punchable. oh, and Moriarty from Sherlock. Almost forgot about him trying to not think about that show until October.

Edited by jedibantha

Sounds strange, but Makuta, from the Lego toy line Bionicle. He had it all. He even destroyed their ENTIRE planet.

I also really like Sgt. Barnes from Platoon, he may or may not be considered a villian perhaps, but he was pretty b B.A.

I would say that being able to empathize with a villain makes them a bit more real and enjoyable to me. Bond villains would be an obvious example of this, as they are often men that just want to improve the world, albeit in a twisted way. So, for me, a villain with believable and, in a way, reasonable motives are the best kind. That being said:

Literature: Tie between Randall Flagg from The Stand and Napoleon from Animal Farm

Film: Vader is an obvious choice, though I also liked old-school General Zod or Ciguhr from No Country for Old Men

Hey everyone,

Thought I would pop in here and contribute to the land of off-topicness. As some of you may or may not know, my major in college was "Villainy in literature, film, and other media." I spent four years reading/watching/playing different mediums and focusing on the villains in those mediums - everything from Iago to Voldemort.

So my question to you is do you have a favorite villain? If so, what do you think makes them a great villain?

Sounds like a fun, interesting major :)

i would say that being able to empathize with a villain makes them a bit more real and enjoyable to me. Bond villains would be an obvious example of this, as they are often men that just want to improve the world, albeit in a twisted way. So, for me, a villain with believable and, in a way, reasonable motives are the best kind. That being said:

Literature: Tie between randall flagg from the stand and napoleon from animal farm

film: Vader is an obvious choice, though i also liked old-school general zod or ciguhr from no country for old men

Kneel! Kneel before Zod!

Edit: Site, y u no let me caps lock?

Edited by jedibantha

My favorite villain is one that truly believes he is right. It is just that his morality is so twisted, he is doing terrible things for perfectly justifiable reasons in his own mind. He sees himself as the hero.

TV: Andrew Scott's Moriarty in Sherlock. Absolutely hilarious and terrifying. Truly sadistic and crazy, and most importantly, brilliant.

Movies: Khan in Star Trek. Both versions, in The Wrath of Khan and Into Darkness. In spoiler tags. just in case,

Khan genuinely cares about his crew in Into Darkness and is blackmailed into being a pawn for a corrupt government.

Also, Ra's al Ghul in print and film for his worthy attempts at world balance and purification. Unfortunately that came with death for millions, but "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Oh wait...too many crossovers.

Gaming: Revan, because he was an almost counterproductive Sith Lord, leaving the structure of a galaxy in place while simultaneously ruining it. A very complicated villain/hero, about whom I would read dozens of books.

Recent Movie: Zod, Man of steel (Recent)

SWTOR: Thanaton

TV Series: Alexi Volkoff (Chuck)

BOOK: Capitol (Hunger Games) I know the president is the real bad guy but it just seems like everyone is against them, shame they didn't show it well in the film.

Game: Sion, Love this guy, So scary (well for a kid)

Edited by Greenify

Darth Malak.

I loved KOTOR, and he made me illicit some major emotions.

Him sending Darth Banadon to get you in the beginning, which leads to Darth B killing Trask (that bastard), then the way he tells you of your past, and then how he stole MY Bastilla away from me.

Malak felt very Vader-esque, lots of mirrors between M and V, which i love and was probably very intentional such as the mask, voice, destroying a planet (although taris and dantooine werent obliterated like alderaan), using a space station that was uber strong.

***dangit courtney, now i want to go play kotor again (need to find my steam account info now), but that will mean less swtor time :rak_06:

Edited by Skodan

I would say that being able to empathize with a villain makes them a bit more real and enjoyable to me. Bond villains would be an obvious example of this, as they are often men that just want to improve the world, albeit in a twisted way. So, for me, a villain with believable and, in a way, reasonable motives are the best kind. That being said:

Literature: Tie between Randall Flagg from The Stand and Napoleon from Animal Farm

Film: Vader is an obvious choice, though I also liked old-school General Zod or Ciguhr from No Country for Old Men

Hey MokaSith,

I definitely agree. To me the best villains are fully realized characters who stir mixed emotions in you. You want to defeat them, but when the moment finally arises, you feel some kind of sadness. This sadness can come from a variety of different reasons - perhaps because they are wasted potential or because you have thoroughly enjoyed the conflict that that character presented or they have just gained your sympathy over the course of the story. They should make you ask questions about yourself or about the protagonist of the story.

Recent Movie: Zod... it was just so well done

SWTOR: Darth Baras.

TV Series: Amon (Legend of Korra)

BOOK: Darth Caedus (Legacy of the Force)

Game: The Illusive Man :D

There's plenty more I love. But those are what popped up first

Unlike the kids today, I prefer for my villains to be without remorse. I don't care for this business of humanizing villains or making them sympathetic. Leave that to the anti-heroes. Enough of us go through that in our daily lives already. I don't need to see the redeeming qualifies of my villains. They should have none.

A good villain also isn't a dumb villain. Villains should be similar to sociopaths in that they are often brilliant.

I don't really have a preference to villain motives, I mean, the sociopath type villains are fun (The Joker) but they're better in small numbers. If you had every single villain be just psychotic, things would get dull. Edited by Branch

Hey, Courtney, would it be possible to give some tips on how to effectively write good villains ? I mean in stories. Literature. ;)

Sure! :jawa_evil:

I would first start with their motivations. Like many people have already said in this thread, some of the best villains are characters who start off with good intentions, but their execution is what makes them "evil." A character's motivation, particularly the villain's, is what often drives the plot forward.

Once you have their motivations, start to sculpt the finer details of the character - mainly their back story and personality quirks. A great exercise is to literally write out what an average daily schedule would look like for that character. None of this needs to be in your final story, but it helps to make that character seem more realistic and three dimensional, which is especially important for a villain, who might not actually see a lot of page time.

I personally think that appearance is secondary, unless it affects the character's motivation. It's much more important to figure out the inner workings of a villain before focusing on the outward shell.

Hope that helps!

Hmmm would have to say... Jack of Blades from Fable 1 is one at the top of my list. I couldn't help but love and hate him at the same time. The voice over was amazing and he's a genuinely charismatic character. He engages you as the player through the years of the life of the character and his family.

Literature? Bellatrix Lestrange.

There's something envious about how she can do whatever she wants, and doesnt care, but something horrifying about everything she's done. Not explained as well in the films though.

Movies? Hard one really, probably The Joker.

He's the embodiment of a fractured mind, it's a sad tale behind him, it really is.

First time i ever pitied a movie villain.

My favorite villains are Hannibal Lecter and the Joker.

Hannibal appears to be one of those "normal" people... until he ate you. Anthony Hopkins was perfect with that role. The exchanges with agents Starling and Graham were spine tingling. "quid pro quo"

The Joker is just cynical while using the people of Gotham to get his villainous jollies off.

Cesar Romero in the campy Batman used more of the funny side to portray the Joker.

Jack Nicholson with his on screen presence dominated Tim Burton's Batman (along with almost any other movie he is in). "... as my plastic surgeon always said: if you gotta go, go with a smile."

Even in the cartoon series, Joker was a bad a**. Little Luke Skywaker, Mark Hamill, took the evil essence from his "father" and just threw down the gauntlet. So much evil in that one.

Last, but not lease, Heath Ledger's Joker...still get nightmares from this one. I feel he was the best portrayal of the Joker. His on screen presence is just as good as Jack, maybe better. "Why so serious?" "Let's put a smile on that face" "Madness as you know is like gravity, all it takes is a little push" " Do you want to know why I use a knife? Guns are too quick. You can't savor all the... little emotions. In... you see, in their last moments, people show you who they really are. So in a way, I know your friends better than you ever did. Would you like to know which of them were cowards?" /shudders

Hi there,

This may sound like a "fanboi", but in terms of memorable gaming fantasy villians, I have always thought that Jon Irenicus. from Baldur's Gate 2 was my favorite. A perfect combination of power, complex character and the voice acting spot on!

Google "Jon Irenicus quotes" - brings back memories!

Irenicus: Ahhh, the child of Bhaal has awoken, it is time for more...experiments.

The pain will only be passing, you should survive the process.

Interesting, you have much untapped powers.

Do you even realize your potential?

*** More intruders have entered the complex, master ***

Irenicus: They act sooner than we had anticipated.

No matter, they will only prove a slight delay.

Ah the good old days!

Coldbayne