Carbon Freezing

Aleira

I thought carbon freezing a 'human'(oid) was an 'experiment' in Empire Strikes Back. Han Solo was frozen in carbonite as a 'lab rat' to see if the process would be successful to preserve Luke Skywalker for delivery to the Emperor. Yet carbon freezing seems fairly common-place in swtor.

comments?

Our own society forgot about indoor plumbing for several thousand years. I'm sure star wars society could have forgotten human carbonite freezing as well.

Also I think it was more of an issue with Lando's equipment. It's not like he was freezing people every day. I'm sure the settings for freezing gasses is different than freezing humans.

Yeah, if I'm not mistaken, Lando protests freezing Han because the technology was meant only for inorganic matter and had never been tested on a living person. There wasn't a guarantee that a human could survive being frozen in carbonite.

In general BW often seems to overlook a great deal of the way things are supposed to work in the SW universe. They generally just throw in lightsabers and blasters and write it off as being accurate.

Yeah, if I'm not mistaken, Lando protests freezing Han because the technology was meant only for inorganic matter and had never been tested on a living person. There wasn't a guarantee that a human could survive being frozen in carbonite.

In general BW often seems to overlook a great deal of the way things are supposed to work in the SW universe. They generally just throw in lightsabers and blasters and write it off as being accurate.

I'd love to hear your explanation for how Leia understood exactly what would happen to Han once he "thawed".

Carbonite freezing of people had been done before, but Lando's equipment was specifically configured to freeze Tibana Gas.

It makes sense that when you reconfigure your equipment you won't know for certain that it will work. That's why you do tests and why they used Han.

I thought that they specifically mentioned that "it had never been done before"? not that THEY'D never done it, but it sounded more like NO ONE has ever done it.

Freezing someone in carbonite and keeping them alive, according to Vader, had never been done before, not freezing somebody at all. Even if that's the case, Vader is hardly the authority on all human history, remembered and forgotten.

Human civilization on Earth has existed for about 12,000 years. We've done a lot, and forgot a lot of what we've done.

Human civilization in Star Wars has existed over 50,000 years. I'm sure they've done, and forgotten, much more than we have.

• 3 years later...

Carbonite Guns

The gun was originally invented by scientists from the planet Empress Teta; however, the weapon had fallen into the possession of several groups afterward.

In 980 BBY, carbonite guns were discussed as a potential method of subduing Darth Bane. The notion was discarded in favor of the senflax provided by Serra. The Huntress indicated that their effects lasted for a few minutes, not a few moments, so these may have been more advanced than what previously existed.

The Zann Consortium often equipped their Pyn'gani slaves, who were quite adept with mining carbonite, with these weapons when using them to conquer planets.[2]

Kyle Katarn and Mara Jade are known to have encountered and perhaps used a carbonite gun during the Operation Shadow Hand.[3]

During the time the target was immobilized, they could be attacked without a chance for self-defense, or in some cases, simply be smashed by a blow from the weapons' reinforced butt. After a few moments, however, they would thaw, and there was no sign of hibernation sickness. The enemy could easily attack as if nothing had happened.

I saw this post a while back.. Just finishing the Darth Bane books and the mention of carbonite guns I had to reply.