My concern about hacking not getting addressed

FourPawnBenoni

fwiw

i just noticed the bw message at my login screen regarding their acknowledgement of hackers

maybe not the greatest but at least they are making a statement where every player has to "see" it before logging on to play

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad Bioware is seriously looking into it finally. Many game companies tend to look the other way either because they don't know what to do or don't want to do it. I come from another game, Eve Online where they have banned hundreds of accounts for hacking, botting etc and have removed trillions of in game credits for these reasons.

But on to another point, last night I was in a Voidstar match and I'm simply going to assume it was lag but me and a teammate were attacking an opponent over near the big crate at the first door who was almost down and the next thing I know, the guy is gone, I'm looking around and he's over by the door now, healing up.

Uh, and that is supposed to make it all ok? Hackers are fine, as long as they are on your side, is that what you are saying?

I could not disagree more. I've been in one huttball match where I saw clear speed hacking by someone on my team. That person scored two goals in about 20 seconds all alone. I grabbed the ball and ran towards our spawn point, with the intention of passing it to the other team for a score. Unfortunately the match ended before I could even things out.

Nah, that was kind of a joke. My point was that I haven't seen much if any hacking in SWTOR. I've played other games with much much worse hacking. Usually FPS games.

This game seems to be pretty free of hacks. If it affects 1% of my matches, I guess I just don't care.

And it only took 12 months for BW to look into this...?

And please don't waste anyone's time trying to tell me that the same player that teleported from mid-field to the end-zone 6 times in a row in huttball is because of "lag".

12 months to look in to what? I have never seen anyone I thought was hacking.

Not exactly the same as you quoted, but we can say this:

"We're aware of the speed hacking that is occurring in the game; rest assured we are making adjustments to prevent it from continuing; furthermore anyone that gets caught using it will have their account suspended and/or banned."

And yet, we have people that have knowingly been using these hacks in warzones, have been reported repeatedly, have had forum posts about, and all of this going on for months with no action being taken against them.

"We're aware of the speed hacking that is occurring in the game; rest assured we are making adjustments to prevent it from continuing; furthermore anyone that gets caught using it will have their account suspended and/or banned."

Making adjustments? WHEN Phillip??? Why haven't they been MADE already? This should be an emergency patch, not a freaking warning. When I saw a Bioware employee had posted in this thread, I was hopeful it was something along the lines of "We recently made adjustments..."...it's not like this game is new...nor are the hacks....

Move with some urgency for once. PLEASE...

• Dev Post
And yet, we have people that have knowingly been using these hacks in warzones, have been reported repeatedly, have had forum posts about, and all of this going on for months with no action being taken against them.

I can't go in to a lot of details, but I can say that actions are taken where appropriate by our Terms of Service team and have been since the launch of the game back in 2011. At the same time I've seen multiple exploiters be less than truthful in public about how no action is being taken against them when in reality any number of their multiple accounts might be suspended or previously permanently banned at the same time.

Making adjustments? WHEN Phillip??? Why haven't they been MADE already? This should be an emergency patch, not a freaking warning. When I saw a Bioware employee had posted in this thread, I was hopeful it was something along the lines of "We recently made adjustments..."...it's not like this game is new...nor are the hacks....

Move with some urgency for once. PLEASE...

Apologies, I missed adding the word 'continually'...

"We're aware of the speed hacking that is occurring in the game; rest assured we are continually making adjustments to prevent it from continuing; furthermore anyone that gets caught using it will have their account suspended and/or banned."

I realize the lack of correcting the more public exploiters in the past has implied they have had no actions taken against them. My only advice there is not to take at face value the words of the people who deliberately cheat.

For reference, we have put up messaging about exploits such as speedhacking in the past. An example from April 2011: http://www.swtor.com/blog/action-being-taken-against-exploits-and-cheats

Edited by JovethGonzalez

Thanks Phillip; just glad that the issue is being publicly addressed. That should serve as a good "warning shot" before hammer drops. I look forward to your adjustments and continued vigilance.

Didn't happen to me, therefore it doesn't exist. Perfect logic is perfect.

I never said it didn't happen, but I would argue that the people making a huge deal about this are most likely exaggerating, whether they are doing it purposely or not.

Chances are good that people are either a) lying, b) wrong, or c) the issue isn't nearly as prevalent as they are making it out to be.

Now I am not saying Bioware gets a free pass here and that its OK for people to hack the game, I don't believe that at all. However, the freak out sessions seriously need a toning down.

I realize the lack of correcting the more public exploiters in the past has implied they have had no actions taken against them. My only advice there is not to take at face value the words of the people who deliberately cheat.

There is a big clue here if you read critically..thats all I am going to say ;)

still seeing the hacks and still seeing my tickets go ignored...this is why I hate pvp in swtor...oh well at least there is pve...now if only they would give us actual new content instead of 3 difficulties of the same operation that is too easy.

still seeing the hacks and still seeing my tickets go ignored...this is why I hate pvp in swtor...oh well at least there is pve...now if only they would give us actual new content instead of 3 difficulties of the same operation that is too easy.

This is what troubles me. There was a guy with a name that sounds like Bingers that was VERY public about his hacking. Bioware claims to have noticed on day 1, something I don't doubt, but he went on to continue hacking for nearly 7 more weeks before any action was taken to remove him from the game, which was allegedly banning him per a post by a Bioware employee on reddit.

I understand that people will find ways to cheat. I'm THRILLED Bioware seems to take it "seriously". But I'm baffled as to why it takes them so blasted long to ACT! For 7 weeks Ginge...err...Bingers exploited...unpunished, flaunting his cheats. WHY??? Why was ONE very public hacker allowed to destroy gameplay for that long? What happens to the subtle Bingers?

I'd really like to know why it took Bioware so long to do anything when they claimed to have spotted it on day 1?

Where you 6 months ago phillip? This is like bieng robbed at walmart and the police showing and on the case and me saying uh yeah guys were robbed 6 months ago.....

Seriously i find this insulting had you adressed the issue 6 months ago and not have a hackers paradise of an engine we wouldnt be discussing this now would we?

I guess years later is better then not at all eh? /shakes head

POTF has so many hackers it's really bad atm. I've reported them many times but of course nothing happens. Right now Bioware is just playing politics so they can make themself look good.

This is after EA/Bioware we are dealing with. I've stopped all-together reporting hackers because nothing gets done. Why should I care when the company doesn't care.

Edited by Captain-Luke

POTF has so many hackers it's really bad atm. I've reported them many times but of course nothing happens. Right now Bioware is just playing politics so they can make themself look good.

This is after EA/Bioware we are dealing with. I've stopped all-together reporting hackers because nothing gets done. Why should I care when the company doesn't care.

yeah POTF is terrible...why do you think I stopped pvping seriously at the end of June? It's been absolutely terrible! I'm tired of opening tickets though...I literally have months of reports ~260 varying from hacking to bugs to trolls to obnoxious kids in general chat and nothing has happened...I get the same generic response and no action so I stopped bothering to even open tickets. If bioware doesn't care to enforce their own rules of conduct for their game and chooses to ignore the people sending in tickets then I guess we should stop even bothering.

yeah POTF is terrible...why do you think I stopped pvping seriously at the end of June? It's been absolutely terrible! I'm tired of opening tickets though...I literally have months of reports ~260 varying from hacking to bugs to trolls to obnoxious kids in general chat and nothing has happened...I get the same generic response and no action so I stopped bothering to even open tickets. If bioware doesn't care to enforce their own rules of conduct for their game and chooses to ignore the people sending in tickets then I guess we should stop even bothering.

Pretty much.

Well the only solution to this problem since EA/Bioware doesn't care is simple. " Reverse Psychology. " Once that happens they will be on panic mode to fix the hacking and exploits " REALLY " fast. I've seen gaming companies fix something severe as this on other MMO's in a matter of a few days. Edited by Captain-Luke

lol most "hacks" that people report, is just bad client syncronization or just lag.

Lag indeed - the kind you create yourself with netlimiter etc.

Simple test whenever there is lag - who profits from it?

That's the guy who is lag-switching - honest players don't benefit from lag, quite the contrary!

Stop complaining that they finally said something. They have now acknowledged it and let's move on from that. You whine for them to say something, then when they do, you whine at how long it took for them to step up. Seriously, just take it as it is. It's better late than never.

It's actually not that bad. Seriously. I don't know how many times I've heard people ***** about someone hacking when they are just playing really well. Hell, I've had people say the reported me for hacking and I obviously don't hack. I have only ever seen one hacker on pot5 and I think we all know who that is...

I can't go in to a lot of details, but I can say that actions are taken where appropriate by our Terms of Service team and have been since the launch of the game back in 2011. At the same time I've seen multiple exploiters be less than truthful in public about how no action is being taken against them when in reality any number of their multiple accounts might be suspended or previously permanently banned at the same time.

Apologies, I missed adding the word 'continually'...

"We're aware of the speed hacking that is occurring in the game; rest assured we are continually making adjustments to prevent it from continuing; furthermore anyone that gets caught using it will have their account suspended and/or banned."

For reference, we have put up messaging about exploits such as speedhacking in the past. An example from April 2011: http://www.swtor.com/blog/action-being-taken-against-exploits-and-cheats

There should be a zero tolerance policy in regards to cheating of any form. Permanent bans of not just accounts but IP's and credit cards. Exploiters should be the only ones who get suspended accounts and even then you should get 1 warning before a permanent ban of your account, IP and credit card.

It's actually not that bad. Seriously. I don't know how many times I've heard people ***** about someone hacking when they are just playing really well. Hell, I've had people say the reported me for hacking and I obviously don't hack. I have only ever seen one hacker on pot5 and I think we all know who that is...

^ True.

We heard a lot of Ginger and saw him in vid. But I only see 1 time a hacker on PoT5. Ugly lag in PvP is another top priority that BW should look. Time to upgrade your Internet connection BW :p.

Please BW if you catch these hackers, hang them high on the fleet so we can all throw our flashy cartel ball on them or turn them into training dummy on the fleet. I would be the first one to use my Heroic moment and Force choke them with my sage.

Edited by Rendolphe