The Fate of the Silencer [Annihilation spoilers]

BenKatarn

I'm currently in the process of making my way through the audiobook version of "Annihilation". However, from very early on in the book, I was sort of getting nervous because of some comments the book has made. Perhaps my fears will be eased once I've finished the book, but I highly doubt it.

Multiple times during its course, the book mentions that the Ascendent Spear is the last of the Imperial superweapon capital ships that were developed under the Sun Razer project of Darth Mekhis. Among other things, ships developed by the Sun Razer included the Gauntlet (hyperspace target elimination capital ship); destroyed by the Trooper in Act 2) and the Silencer (rapid-recharge "fleet killer" capital ship; under the command of the Inquisitor in Act 3). While the Gauntlet was obviously destroyed in the game, I am concerned regarding the Silencer. It obviously survived its maiden battle and since it was part of the Inquisitor storyline, I highly doubt it would be destroyed during the course of the game and the Inquisitor not be informed of it. Not to mention that the book goes as far as saying "only the Ascendent Spear could destroy a Republic fleet that easily", which the Silencer could do as well, in rapid succession.

So, my point I guess is, what's happened here? Was the Silencer destroyed off-screen? Was it forgotten about? Or was the fact that it still existed (it was originally unfinished and then made operational by the Inqusititor) kept a secret from most of the Imperial military?

why dont you email drew and ask him then post his answer here. It'll take him 1-2 weeks to reply usually.

If you do end up emailing him ask him why Nox wasnt utilized in the council meetings...considering there is no mention at all.

Maybe because there is no Nox? Darth Imperius would be rather pissed off if someone called him Darth Nox :p

Downside of alignment based name is have to be very vague to include that. And can't use gender either really.

Speaking of Silencer (and other super weapons of any side) I hope they get rid of them all.

Edited by Chaloss

If they get rid of the silencer all it would do is piss off the sith inquisitor community. It would annoy me as well.

I consider Inquisitor my main and I was really disappointed in Silencer. Fleet destroying super weapon is stupid thing to implement in story.

Multiple times during its course, the book mentions that the Ascendent Spear is the last of the Imperial superweapon capital ships that were developed under the Sun Razer project of Darth Mekhis. Among other things, ships developed by the Sun Razer included the Gauntlet (hyperspace target elimination capital ship); destroyed by the Trooper in Act 2) and the Silencer (rapid-recharge "fleet killer" capital ship; under the command of the Inquisitor in Act 3). While the Gauntlet was obviously destroyed in the game, I am concerned regarding the Silencer. It obviously survived its maiden battle and since it was part of the Inquisitor storyline, I highly doubt it would be destroyed during the course of the game and the Inquisitor not be informed of it. Not to mention that the book goes as far as saying "only the Ascendent Spear could destroy a Republic fleet that easily", which the Silencer could do as well, in rapid succession.

So, my point I guess is, what's happened here? Was the Silencer destroyed off-screen? Was it forgotten about? Or was the fact that it still existed (it was originally unfinished and then made operational by the Inqusititor) kept a secret from most of the Imperial military?

I don't know what book you are talking about here, but the SWTOR graphic novel "the lost suns" classifies Ascendant spear as "long range battle cruiser with class 0.5 hyperdrive". Whereas the silencer is a rapid-recharge fleet-killer megalaser. I don't know what would make Asc. spear as the particular ship of destroying rep fleets..

Also, I think the fate of the silencer is reserved for Bioware. I HOPE I will get to see it again ingame and preferably not in ruins (my main character is an inquisitor). I guess all other people creating SWTOR -related stuff out of the game are told to keep their hands off the silencer.. I just hope Bioware gets to writing episode 4 for all of our characters one beautiful day..

Edited by Karkais

I don't know what book you are talking about here, but the SWTOR graphic novel "the lost suns" classifies Ascendant spear as "long range battle cruiser with class 0.5 hyperdrive". Whereas the silencer is a rapid-recharge fleet-killer megalaser. I don't know what would make Asc. spear as the particular ship of destroying rep fleets..

Also, I think the fate of the silencer is reserved for Bioware. I HOPE I will get to see it again ingame and preferably not in ruins (my main character is an inquisitor). I guess all other people creating SWTOR -related stuff out of the game are told to keep their hands off the silencer.. I just hope Bioware gets to writing episode 4 for all of our characters one beautiful day..

Ascendant Spear, in Annihilation was a cruiser made of special technology, the Sith could link with the ship through the Dark Side of the Force and command every piece of it like controlling their own body. And it was capable to destroy fleets.

Its pretty obvious I mean the new lead writer used to be a writer for the smuggler and jedi knight stories.

Those stories aren't bad in and of themselves. the JK story is bad cause it has to live in shared universe. Besides they are writers I doubt they have a vested interest in one side. As well much of the pub wins happened under the old lead writer, so only one way to go from here

The entire Annihilation book craps all over the in-game lore. It's obvious that BW has no intention of continuing the story in this game and will simply just let it rot.

I mean, the main "villain" is a random nobody. Gravus is turned into a moron. Theron has a magical stick that can slice through any and all Imperial security measures without any trouble.

It's almost as bad as the JK waltzing though KAAS CITY alone.

Why they even bother having 2 sides in this game is beyond me. Just make everyone a damn pub already and be done with it.

The entire Annihilation book craps all over the in-game lore. It's obvious that BW has no intention of continuing the story in this game and will simply just let it rot.

I mean, the main "villain" is a random nobody. Gravus is turned into a moron. Theron has a magical stick that can slice through any and all Imperial security measures without any trouble.

It's almost as bad as the JK waltzing though KAAS CITY alone.

Why they even bother having 2 sides in this game is beyond me. Just make everyone a damn pub already and be done with it.

The Gravus in game was very calm and intelligent.

did they mention the silencer by name as being part of that collection of super weapons? becuase last i chacked that was a part of me and moff pyron or whatever his name was and not some other darth. At any case i doubt it's been destroyed.

Technically, the Silencer is merely a cannon attachment for a Harrower-class Dreadnaught. The ship itself is the Doombringer. The Codex entry for the Silencer confirms it to have been developed by Darth Mekhis and the Silencer is mentioned as being part of the Sun Razer project in the Lost Suns comic. The prototype was left unfinished after Mekhis got killed and funds were cut by Thanaton because he thought it was an unnecessary weapon and then Moff Pyron had the Inquisitor get the necessary component to make it operational.

Technically, the Silencer is merely a cannon attachment for a Harrower-class Dreadnaught. The ship itself is the Doombringer. The Codex entry for the Silencer confirms it to have been developed by Darth Mekhis and the Silencer is mentioned as being part of the Sun Razer project in the Lost Suns comic. The prototype was left unfinished after Mekhis got killed and funds were cut by Thanaton because he thought it was an unnecessary weapon and then Moff Pyron had the Inquisitor get the necessary component to make it operational.

Plot hole?

Thanaton only became a council member when the Sith Inquisitor was on Belsavis, and he was in charge of ancient knowledge, I guess technology should be handled by Darth Hadra.

Plot hole?

Thanaton only became a council member when the Sith Inquisitor was on Belsavis, and he was in charge of ancient knowledge, I guess technology should be handled by Darth Hadra.

I guess? There's another note from somewhere else (and still on the Wookiepedia article) that Thanaton was in fact a Dark Council member for almost 40 years, which obviously makes no sense if you've played the game. It's another of those Game VS Comics cases, though Thanaton definately behaves like he's been in charge for that long.

Maybe he had some sort of pull with that particular project, or he was in put in charge of sorting out what Mekhis had left behind. Personally, I'm somewhat getting the idea that the concept of the 12 Spheres (or Pyramids) was not 100% solid when the game was released and it was not determined who was in charge of what and why. Most of the infos on that came from the Encyclopedia and perhaps there were different writes involved.

Edited by BenKatarn

I guess? There's another note from somewhere else (and still on the Wookiepedia article) that Thanaton was in fact a Dark Council member for almost 40 years, which obviously makes no sense if you've played the game. It's another of those Game VS Comics cases, though Thanaton definately behaves like he's been in charge for that long.

Maybe he had some sort of pull with that particular project, or he was in put in charge of sorting out what Mekhis had left behind. Personally, I'm somewhat getting the idea that the concept of the 12 Spheres (or Pyramids) was not 100% solid when the game was released and it was not determined who was in charge of what and why. Most of the infos on that came from the Encyclopedia and perhaps there were different writes involved.

No, he didn't become a council member until chapter 3 of the game. In Blood of the Empire he was only given the title of Darth Thanaton.

Edited by Slowpokeking

As I said, I'm aware of that. I was blaming the Wookiepedia article for being incorrect.

The main reason it's incorrect is because for a while, people assumed "Darth" was Dark Council only (not sure where that idea came from, but whatever), and even after it became clear that wasn't the case, no one bothered to correct it.

As a side note, while I'm fine with the fact that EVENTUALLY the Republic wins, it bothers me that every single Republic victory has people flogging to defend it with "The Republic wins anyway, so shut up".

I mean, how are we supposed to feel the Empire is any way a threat to ANYONE if they lose in every book they're featured in? Especially when the Empire's few victories are swept under the rug, like the examples in this thread.

As a Sith/Imperial fan, this is most disheartening.

Edited by Darth_Vicente

I mean, how are we supposed to feel the Empire is any way a threat to ANYONE if they lose in every book they're featured in? Especially when the Empire's few victories are swept under the rug, like the examples in this thread.

Between this game and Mass Effect 3 I'm starting to think BioWare forgot about this little thing called the Dramatic Arc.

It seems like we're already on the "falling action" toward the resolution (the Republic wins in the end, which we all know to be the case). We've either skipped the climax, or it took place just in one class's story (the Emperor's death). Either way, for the other 7 classes, there's no drama, and it's frankly going to start to get kind of boring.

There's a reason Episode V was basically the Rebels getting their butts kicked. Again, nobody watching Star Wars for the first time honestly thought that there was even a slight chance the Alliance would get crushed and the Empire would reign supreme for all eternity. Obviously the good guys would win in the end. But if the original trilogy was basically just "Rebels blow up the Death Star and proceed from triumph to triumph until Luke kills the Emperor", it wouldn't have been nearly as popular as it was.

The main reason it's incorrect is because for a while, people assumed "Darth" was Dark Council only (not sure where that idea came from, but whatever), and even after it became clear that wasn't the case, no one bothered to correct it.

As a side note, while I'm fine with the fact that EVENTUALLY the Republic wins, it bothers me that every single Republic victory has people flogging to defend it with "The Republic wins anyway, so shut up".

Exactly, lets just say I think the empire is going to lose even more stuff since the new lead writer was one of the main writers for JK and smuggler.