Do Ultimate comms drop in 16 man story mode S&V and TFB?

No, those 4 comms in story mode are elite comms, not ultimate.

For 8 man, yes. For 16 man, they drop 4 ultimate and a few elites. I have confirmed this first hand running the ops.

Pushing it to the max, you can get 3 times as many ultimates from them - do the first 6 bosses in S&V and first 4 bosses in TFB in 16 man for a total of 40 ultimates (excluding the weekly - it's rewarded for both SM and HM, so not sure which run I should attribute those to ;) ), then split into 2 8 mans and do the last boss trough GF 2 different days for an another 20, total of 60. You COULD push it even further and pre-form the ops group with 8 people in it and set it to 16 man SM and then queue - you will then be taken into the 16 man version, and as shown by one of our 8 man groups from last week who did that by accident, it's perfectly doable with 8. It took them a while to even realise it wasn't 8 man. This will give you the 4 ultimates from each final boss too, for an extra total of 8.

Really though, if you can handle that, you can handle the HM versions, and with that you'll get yourself maxed on ultimate anyway, so I wouldn't bother with the "do 16 man trough GF as 8 man group" stuff.