A Practical Guide to Pyro Powertechs

exphryl

This is odd....all the build spec pages are not listing the proper levels or taken skills. The lvl 50 spec for instance, when I click it...it says lvl 23 and has 27 points still available. Anyone else having this issue?

Its probably because torhead updated their skill calculators for 1.3, thus the links point to old builds which aren't valid anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice guide and you answered a question ive always wondered whether TD gets Explosive Fuel crit % increase after thrown :). The rest I was pretty much using. I tried a couple of links and they didnt work so I'll put my tree here for people in the meantime:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301MsMZfhMrzGhrsZ0M.2

I too recommend the TD setup.

Hot Iron over intimidation. 2 points on Intimidation increases all fire effects by 4% where 2 points on Hot Iron increases Flame Burst by 6%.

Deaguss - Suppose it comes down to personal preference I find I dont really overheat that much so I prefer the stun stopper for PVP.

One thing I have wondered though in PVE is it worth putting flamethrower into the rotation? Or is it better just to spam FB for PPA chance/ no cast/ less heat use? Maybe use Flamethrower straight after Railshot?

Edited by SuperDaioz

Why not this build?

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#3010MZfhMrzGhrsZhMh.2

Intimidation raises the damage from all fire effect, not only the damage of Flame Burst from Hot Iron.

Steely resolve raises your main stat and with that also your crit and damage. That sounds better then 6% crit chance to fire effect from Prototye burn Enhancers and 3% Tech Crit from Prototype Cylinders.

Hardcora,

A very viable tree and one I have tried. I previously spent a few days racking my brains between the two.

Shield Tech tree 6pts = +6% Flame Damage, +9%Aim

AdvPrototype Tree 6 pts = +20% Railshot armour ignore, +6% Flame Burst, +3% Tech Crit, + 6% Crit for fire effects

As for flame damage Pyro IMO only really uses Flame Burst consistently and Railshot is your big hitter along with +3 tech crit and + 6% Fire effects crit for flame burst and tech attacks over long boss fights is really going to help.

I believe this gives you more for the points spent and the tree seems to be working well for me. I would be interested to hear from other Pyrotech players to see what they think and arguments for both. I would happily be proven wrong :)

Also the advanced prototype points arent restriced by diminishing returns. Mainstat\ Power\ Crit can be raised sufficiently through gear and augments.

Edited by SuperDaioz

On my Pyrotech Spec I currently run in a hybrid 5/5/31 spec with TD taken instead of going for the extra aim in the Shield tech tree. A bunch of the raiders I play with say I should drop Thermal Det and pick up the extra aim % from the shield tech tree. I however find that in certain fights if I need to jump out and range DPS I am able to do so pretty well with my build and I also still DPS pretty good up close making me a bit more versitile. However maybe I should scratch the versatility if I just want to try to get my self as itemized as possible and do the most overall DPS with my build. What are your thoughts On taking TD instead of the extra aim skill in the shield tech tree?:jawa_confused::jawa_confused:

I'd like to add a tactic that has served me well. Right after TD, use Unload at range until TD times out THEN RS. This serves two purposes. One: it keeps pressure up on say, a healer, knocking his castbar back if he's unshielded; and two: The last tick of Unload is usually what bursts that initial defensive bubble, allowing TD to detonate and deal it's full potential alongside an unhindered RS. Proc RS again off of RP/FB and then Flamethrower to run out the internal cooldown. You will probably weave in a Rapid Shots or two after the initial burst. Edited by Aurec
Misspelling

Level 35 PT. I PvP a ton when not RPing. Can you explain to me how infrared sensors is better than rapid venting? I use vent heat all the time when off CD, and infrared sensors doesn't look very promising. Anyways, loving the spec/class. My buddy, who's a merc Pyro, teams with me and we ROFLstomp everyone. :rak_04:

Cheers

• 5 weeks later...

Don't use Incendiary Missile on all of your target. Especially if u know that the target will be downed less than 7 sec or the target can cleanse your DOT. You will have better heat management.

If healer can cleanse your dots, just use FB since you can re-apply whenever you cast FB.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...