Jugg tank PvE endgame gear question

tatatan

Hi ladies and gentlebeings :-)

I read here on forum (in other threads) where people were discussing defensive stats of Jugg tanks. Some people claim, that they reached 30+K hp and 30def / 50 shield / 50 absorption.

How can you reach this?

I already have good gear - all level 27 modable parts (with BH accessory and i'm still far, far from this).

My stats

Health 28,158 Hp

Armor rating 8183

Defense chance 29,63 (597 points)

Shield chance 47.43 (630 points)

Shield absorption 45,57 (319 points)

So as you can see i'm still nowhere near the godly 30k 30/50/50 by far ...

Thank You for any tips regarding this.

My gear

Everywhere (in every armor and mod slot on all equipment parts)

Advanced Guardian Armoring 27 (60 str / 64 end)

Advanced Elusive Mod 27B (44str / 56 end / 34 def)

So only differences is in Enhancement types and Augment types as follows per item:

Head

Adv. Vigilant Enh. 27 (60 end / 56 str / 13 abs) + Adv. Absorb Augment (18 abs / 12 pow)

Body

same like head

Gloves

Adv. Steadfast Enh.27 (60 end / 48 sh / 24 def) + Adv Redoubt Aug (18 def / 12 pow)

Belt

Adv. Shield Aug (18 sh / 12 pow)

Greaves

Adv. Bastion Enh 27 (48 end / 60 sh / 24 def) + Adv. Redoubt Aug (18 def / 12 pow)

Boots

same like greaves

Bracers

Adv. Absorb Aug (18 abs / 12 pow)

Generator

Advanced Cognizant Enh. 26 (45 end / 57 accuracy / 22 abs) + Adv. Absorb Aug (18 abs / 12 pow)

Saber

Adv. Might Hilt 27 (72str / 52 end)

Advanced Steadfast Enh. 27 (60end / 48 sh / 24 def) + Adv. Absorb Aug (18 abs / 12 pow)

Accessory

BH Bulwark MK1 + Adv. Fortitude Aug (18end / 12 pow)

BH Bulwark MK1 Implant + Adv Fortitude Aug

2x WH Relic of Impereiling Serenity (113 def) + Adv Fortitude Aug

Edited by tatatan

Honestly, they lied. You can't hit those numbers on a Jugg tank. It's EITHER 30/50/50 or massive HP and lower mitigation. Even then, 50% shield is tough to reach if you go Hybrid unless you use Shield Augs.

You also have accuracy on your Shield gen, ditch that for more mitigation.

Honestly, they lied. You can't hit those numbers on a Jugg tank. It's EITHER 30/50/50 or massive HP and lower mitigation.

I managed 29.4k hp, 29.74% Defense chance, 49.84% Shield chance, and 50.44% Absorb with Ask Mr Robot, which is close enough to 30/50/50 with 30k hp in most people's mind. It's not really an optimal stat allocation: I had to the absolute best gear possible, use all Fortitude augs, all Endurance heavy mods and armoring, and then play around with the enhancements to get more Endurance at the cost of shield without affecting the absorb/defense ratio. EWH Defense relics are required to get the passive defense and Endurance. It's not really optimal since you're just dumping Endurance on Endurance while purposefully handicapping your mitigation growth based on an arbitrary suboptimal assignment of roughly equal stacking (you want a lot more Defense than you're capping yourself at to get to the optimal ratio because Guardians don't have enough Shield/Absorb to make stacking them as effective as Shadows and VGs get).

I managed 29.4k hp, 29.74% Defense chance, 49.84% Shield chance, and 50.44% Absorb with Ask Mr Robot, which is close enough to 30/50/50 with 30k hp in most people's mind. It's not really an optimal stat allocation: I had to the absolute best gear possible, use all Fortitude augs, all Endurance heavy mods and armoring, and then play around with the enhancements to get more Endurance at the cost of shield without affecting the absorb/defense ratio. EWH Defense relics are required to get the passive defense and Endurance. It's not really optimal since you're just dumping Endurance on Endurance while purposefully handicapping your mitigation growth based on an arbitrary suboptimal assignment of roughly equal stacking (you want a lot more Defense than you're capping yourself at to get to the optimal ratio because Guardians don't have enough Shield/Absorb to make stacking them as effective as Shadows and VGs get).

Impressive, I apparently stand (close enough to :p) corrected.

Was that including the 5% accuracy debuff as 'Defence'? I assume it also has pitiful strength and hence lower threat generation too?

Was that including the 5% accuracy debuff as 'Defence'? I assume it also has pitiful strength and hence lower threat generation too?

Nope. Not including any of the temp buffs or debuffs. Just the passives and roughly 600 pts of Defense.

And, yes, the threat generation would have been pretty painfully bad: Strength was pretty much absolutely minimized.

Hi ladies and gentlebeings :-)

I read here on forum (in other threads) where people were discussing defensive stats of Jugg tanks. Some people claim, that they reached 30+K hp and 30def / 50 shield / 50 absorption.

How can you reach this?

I already have good gear - all level 27 modable parts (with BH accessory and i'm still far, far from this).

My stats

Health 28,158 Hp

Armor rating 8183

Defense chance 29,63 (597 points)

Shield chance 47.43 (630 points)

Shield absorption 45,57 (319 points)

So as you can see i'm still nowhere near the godly 30k 30/50/50 by far ...

Thank You for any tips regarding this.

My gear

Everywhere (in every armor and mod slot on all equipment parts)

Advanced Guardian Armoring 27 (60 str / 64 end)

Advanced Elusive Mod 27B (44str / 56 end / 34 def)

So only differences is in Enhancement types and Augment types as follows per item:

Head

Adv. Vigilant Enh. 27 (60 end / 56 str / 13 abs) + Adv. Absorb Augment (18 abs / 12 pow)

Body

same like head

Gloves

Adv. Steadfast Enh.27 (60 end / 48 sh / 24 def) + Adv Redoubt Aug (18 def / 12 pow)

Belt

Adv. Shield Aug (18 sh / 12 pow)

Greaves

Adv. Bastion Enh 27 (48 end / 60 sh / 24 def) + Adv. Redoubt Aug (18 def / 12 pow)

Boots

same like greaves

Bracers

Adv. Absorb Aug (18 abs / 12 pow)

Generator

Advanced Cognizant Enh. 26 (45 end / 57 accuracy / 22 abs) + Adv. Absorb Aug (18 abs / 12 pow)

Saber

Adv. Might Hilt 27 (72str / 52 end)

Advanced Steadfast Enh. 27 (60end / 48 sh / 24 def) + Adv. Absorb Aug (18 abs / 12 pow)

Accessory

BH Bulwark MK1 + Adv. Fortitude Aug (18end / 12 pow)

2x WH Relic of Impereiling Serenity (113 def) + Adv Fortitude Aug

nah I think they either counted the additional absorb they get from the proc relic or additional defense they get from the clicky relic. They might have added 4% to their numbers due to Commanding Awe too. But gear wise it's not possible to get 30k+ hp and those stats. I am full 63 with fortitude augs and I have 29.5% def, 50% shield, 45% absorb with 30.4k hp.

nah I think they either counted the additional absorb they get from the proc relic or additional defense they get from the clicky relic. They might have added 4% to their numbers due to Commanding Awe too. But gear wise it's not possible to get 30k+ hp and those stats. I am full 63 with fortitude augs and I have 29.5% def, 50% shield, 45% absorb with 30.4k hp.

Thanks guys for all replies.

Hm and yeah, the above highlited seams to me reasonable. I still dont have Hazmat Accessory and EWH relics, so my gear will be rearranged to reflect different stats on it (diffrent to BH bulwarks).

Nope. Not including any of the temp buffs or debuffs. Just the passives and roughly 600 pts of Defense.

And, yes, the threat generation would have been pretty painfully bad: Strength was pretty much absolutely minimized.

Interesting sidebar: not only does minimizing strength nerf threat, it also weakens Blade/Sonic Barrier by a significant amount. It never occurred to me before that the unlettered mods provide even higher survivability than just the secondary stats would suggest due to the higher allocation of primary stat. Not sure how much more off the top of my head, but certainly a fair bit.

Of course, the question is academic, since the unlettered mods are already vastly superior to the lettered variants for Guardians/Juggernauts and Vanguards/Powertechs alike, but it seemed interesting.

Edited by KeyboardNinja

It's possible but you will sacrifice some strength, and be in the immortal tree. I'm currently at 28.5K HP with 29% Def, 49.5% SH, 49.25% Abs and still have (2) 63 armorings, (3) 63 mods, and (2) 63 enhancements to go. This is fully buffed or course with exotech fort stim.

My question is why the hell do you want 30k health as a tank? It's just more healing required.

It's not a question of "wanting" but more about just having it. Having 30k+ hp can help in situations when your healers can afford to throw more raid healing so it can be a small insurance for mess ups, not to mention there are abilities that increase your percentage of hp so having more base hp would obviously net you more health from those abilities. I don't think one would feel the need to specifically gear up to exceed 30k hp, but the availability of mods + enhancements in your server may push you to that path. It is not necessarily bad to get 30k hp, first hand experience.

My question is why the hell do you want 30k health as a tank? It's just more healing required.

1. i read somewhere, the more HP you have, the more sexy you are :D

2. i'm not abandoning my defense stats for HP - currently having some 28+k hp, i just asked how is that possible

3. i have equipped 4 pieces of Battlemaster outfit (ofc with PvE mods in)- after leap i have 10% dmg increase for 5 seconds - better smash, better vicious slash => better agro on me, also every intercede (leap to friendly) nets me 2.3-2.4k HP - this is actually big help (and it is counted off the overall HP you have).

I actually intercede to teammates as much as i can (every 20 secs +2.4khp is nice) - i help my healer and i dump agro off my teammates, also if i intercede to healer (usually standing farther from battle) i immediately can/do jump back on target => free force scream, unstoppable, rage building ... big benefits.

4. as mentioned above, it's also insurance if something 'oh crap' happens, you survive and give your healer time to react

So you can see at least in my case it is big help for me having more HP and in my case it comes with the kind of play i do - lots of intercede...

Edited by tatatan

2. i'm not abandoning my defense stats for HP - currently having some 28+k hp, i just asked how is that possible

3. i have equipped 4 pieces of Battlemaster outfit (ofc with PvE mods in)- after leap i have 10% dmg increase for 5 seconds - better smash, better vicious slash => better agro on me, also every intercede (leap to friendly) nets me 2.3-2.4k HP - this is actually big help (and it is counted off the overall HP you have).

I actually intercede to teammates as much as i can (every 20 secs +2.4khp is nice) - i help my healer and i dump agro off my teammates, also if i intercede to healer (usually standing farther from battle) i immediately can/do jump back on target => free force scream, unstoppable, rage building ... big benefits.

4. as mentioned above, it's also insurance if something 'oh crap' happens, you survive and give your healer time to react

So you can see at least in my case it is big help for me having more HP and in my case it comes with the kind of play i do - lots of intercede...

You can also get the boss out of position or get people cleaved faster than any other tank.

You can also get the boss out of position or get people cleaved faster than any other tank.

He's also coughing up both of the amazingly useful PvE Guardian set bonuses (better CDs and 20% better Blade Barrier) for a 10% increase to damage 20% of the time (assuming he only Leaps in after Leaping out) and that 8% heal every 20 seconds.

But, yeah, I have to wonder what content the OP has actually done as a tank: if he's *that* devoted to constant leaping, he's going to have a lot of cleaving going on though I'll admit he might have an easier time of threat than most Guardian tanks thanks to the increased damage and near constant threat drops. Even so, my gut says it would be a net loss in survivability and early fight threat (re: the only kind that matters) thanks to the lost GCDs (Leap out for no damage and Leap in for marginal damage). I can't imagine clearing any progression content with all of that leaping about.

It's not a question of "wanting" but more about just having it. Having 30k+ hp can help in situations when your healers can afford to throw more raid healing so it can be a small insurance for mess ups, not to mention there are abilities that increase your percentage of hp so having more base hp would obviously net you more health from those abilities. I don't think one would feel the need to specifically gear up to exceed 30k hp, but the availability of mods + enhancements in your server may push you to that path. It is not necessarily bad to get 30k hp, first hand experience.

Proper itemization prevents most tanks from breaking 26k health (my shadow barely breaks 25k with the 3% Endurance talent) and makes it so that you're going to hit 30/ 50/ 50 on Guardians and Shadows with out breaking a sweat. My shadow's currently at 30/50/59 and is still in mostly BH/ Campaign gear (my guardian friend is at like 25/ 55/ 50). Also, Enure for Guardians (30% more Health) is a CD that's designed to give the healers more time to heal you during periods of time when the boss is doing a ****ton of damage.

That all sounds like a terrible way to play a Guardian/ Jugg given that you're going to throw the boss out of position and that the the PvE 2 and 4 piece bonuses vastly outweigh 10% extra damage and a 10% heal.

General Rule of Thumb when it comes to Tank's Health Pools is 3 unmitigated hits. Currently the hardest I ever get hit is around 7.8k damage (not counting flukes during Operator IX), so having 24k health (closer to 25k) is golden for me. Anything more is just making me a resource sponge.

Hi,

i see that i raised some question about the gear and whatnot.

I'm unguilded, so i do not do any operation content. I do up to Lost Island. The leaping in - and out depends on boss mechanics and is not always usable, for sure - e.g. mobs that has leaps too.

But i practiced this a lot. E.g. If i leap to friend, then, already during the jump i turn my mouse backwards, and target mob back. So, after landing, i have mob already targeted and ii press the force leap back to enemy (no time wasted) it is amazing. This whole process takes really like splinter (half) of second, maybe a second (you must not lag).

I queue for FP only with my healer friend and she already know, where to position herself, so i can do this really a lot.

My only companion is Vette - i started to practice this with her first on ranged mobs, then moved to melle.

If you dont believe this is possible, take Vette, position her 25-30m from (start with ranged type, because it's not easy from start) mob - intercede to her and force charge back. I practice this all the time and i can do this even on fast melle mobs (they dont get close on me so i wouldn't be able jump back on them). Mobs using ranged is piece of cake.

I even use this on breaking mobs casting abilities (Force charge break cast), if my breakup is on cooldown - depending ofc on the time of cast (some are too fast).

This is how i do things. I run hybrid immortal / vengeance and i never have problem with holding agro. Due to increased DMG and leaping to friendlies. I consider Intercede at least same amazing utility as Force charge and sometime even better.

E.g. i see strayed mob attacking my friend healer, my taunt on coodown - intercede to her and leap back to mob and its almost hillarious, how to mob attacking her start follow me. :)

I do PvP a lot - 80%PvP of my time, so i'm used to Intercede and act fast.

Last thing to say, i never claim(ed) that i do some things better than others. I still learn. Dont be harsh on judging this, try it first, you'll see for yourself :)

Last thing to say, i never claim(ed) that i do some things better than others. I still learn. Dont be harsh on judging this, try it first, you'll see for yourself :)

Back at release, there was a talents in Veng/Vigi that provided the Guardian Leap decrease to damage taken to the Guardian when they leaped but it was deep enough to require hybridizing. It was the precursor to the modern hybrid spec and, while it calculated at excellent performance, it just didn't end up doing that well because it was predicated on constantly bouncing around to your allies, which just wasn't viable.

What you're doing isn't really new. It's just a rehash of what's already been done so it's not really what anyone would consider optimal based upon past experience.

Back at release, there was a talents in Veng/Vigi that provided the Guardian Leap decrease to damage taken to the Guardian when they leaped but it was deep enough to require hybridizing. It was the precursor to the modern hybrid spec and, while it calculated at excellent performance, it just didn't end up doing that well because it was predicated on constantly bouncing around to your allies, which just wasn't viable.

What you're doing isn't really new. It's just a rehash of what's already been done so it's not really what anyone would consider optimal based upon past experience.

Ok,

i have to say, you make an assumption, if you say 'Anyone'.

1. exempt me from 'anyone' please, i like to try things for myself, it is a game and i take it as one - that means experimenting with different strategies, outfits etc (for me - maybe for you it is different) and yet i'm not the one saying someone is stupid because he combs hair on left half of head while i do it on right

2. things might work for you and not for someone else. Judging people taking self as 'benchmark' doesn't work. You make assumptions, that can prove wrong then.

3. PvE gear gives bonus of 2sec to invincible (3min cooldown) and 20% betterment of Sonic barrier, that you can gain by 9 seconds gap via force scream

4. i gain 2.4k health every 20 seconds (i use Intercede every-time it is on cooldown) + i dump agro off the target => my healer doesnt have to deal with big hits on the DPS guys. Also, i do not always jump away, i just jump e.g. on marauder dpsing just right beside me

Also as said, if i can use the mechanincs Intercede / Force charge together i gain rage, free force scream (no rage cost) and unstoppable - granting 20% all dmg decrease for 4sec and 10% of dmg increase for 5 seconds

Using Intercede (friendly leap) all the time works for me, i use it naturally i dont have to think about it. In *some* fights combined with Force charge it gives me big benefits

I dont see where you have problem with it. Or - maybe you tried and you had problem with the mechanics. But i dont - does that mean i should say 'anyone can use it', meaning, if you dont, it renders you dumb?

I'm sorry, but the word that comes to my mid is 'respect'. Some ppl (as seen in many treads on forum) swear by defensive stats, some by endurance some by hybrid, some by complet tank tree ... i would never dare to say someone that his way is considered by *anyone* wrong. Because it is *me* that's considering it wrong.

This is my last words on this.

Thank you for your opinion. Noted.

Also as said, if i can use the mechanincs Intercede / Force charge together i gain rage, free force scream (no rage cost) and unstoppable - granting 20% all dmg decrease for 4sec and 10% of dmg increase for 5 seconds

Those mechanics are predicated upon devoting 2 GCDs to it every 20 seconds. Guardian Leap doesn't do *any* damage and Force Leap deals less than Saber Strike does and that's assuming you don't have any downtime from having to turn around and face the target to leap at it. If you used it every CD, you'd be coughing up ~15% of your active time just for that. You're gaining 7 Focus out of it, but you're losing a *lot* of actual active time out of it. You might be more survivable and, assuming you and your buddies are perfect leapers so that you never drop cleaves on your allies, you're still going to have a hard time keeping up the threat and damage because you're devoting all of that active time to jumping around.

Using Intercede (friendly leap) all the time works for me, i use it naturally i dont have to think about it. In *some* fights combined with Force charge it gives me big benefits

You also have admitted that you don't do any ops content. The hardest thing you do is HM LI which can be done by proficient players in Tionese gear. You're *vastly* overgeared for it and claiming that your strategy is somehow more effective than simply not using it (which is what I'm saying) when you've never done any of the content where gear is as big of a concern as as simply not being bad at the mechanics. It's also got no bosses with appreciable cleaves (Sav-Rak has one, but it's a DoT and pretty easily healed through even if it does catch more than the tank) nor does it have tank swaps or half of the other mechanics that Ops tend to.

The entire reason that the Leap-strats didn't work for the hybrids back in ye olden days of a year ago was *because* of the ops content, which is where stuff like that actually matters. You can tank most of the GF HMs as a DPS VG; just because you can do said content (and you claim that it works wonders) doesn't mean that it's even remotely effective for gear appropriate content.

You say "don't judge me based on what you've experienced" and I'm telling you to stop acting as if anything you're doing is anything approaching a challenge considering your gear. Show me some decent performance on EC or TfB and then we'll talk. Right now, you're doing content that isn't difficult whatsoever in the gear you're in atm. When you get to content where you need a full group in said gear and you still manage to do well and *don't* end up killing allies by losing threat or dropping cleaves on top of them, you can make the case for your build/strat. As it stands, I'm going to trust to all of the people that have already experimented with your strategy in content *beyond* what you're current running in appropriate gear.

The goal of tanking is to control the fight and (more importantly) to control where incoming damage is going.

We tanks do this using threat to make the mob attack us, facing the mob away from the group so it doesn't cleave them and using mitigation to bring that damage down to a sustainable healing leave. That's a very very basic rundown on tanking.

Now assuming a boss as a 5k base damage cleave. Now it can go 2 ways. The conventional option: You stand and take it, the healer has to heal ~2.5k if you don't shield or defend it. Or your option: You Intercede a DPS and heal 2.4k. Then you take 2.5k and the DPS takes ~4k. Thats assuming you only catch 1 DPS in the cleave. Now thats 2.4k less healing you require, but its ~4k healing that the DPS now requires. That's a total of 4.1k healing required instead of 2.5k.

Now I'm not saying that's always the case. I'm sure if you got really good at it and knew the fights you could avoid accidentally cleaving your team mates but you risk actually working AGAINST the goal of being a tank by doing that. Plus you're making it harder for yourself to hold threat early on for slightly better threat management later on when you can just gain more benefit from taunting.

The goal of tanking is to control the fight and (more importantly) to control where incoming damage is going.

We tanks do this using threat to make the mob attack us, facing the mob away from the group so it doesn't cleave them and using mitigation to bring that damage down to a sustainable healing leave. That's a very very basic rundown on tanking.

Now assuming a boss as a 5k base damage cleave. Now it can go 2 ways. The conventional option: You stand and take it, the healer has to heal ~2.5k if you don't shield or defend it. Or your option: You Intercede a DPS and heal 2.4k. Then you take 2.5k and the DPS takes ~4k. Thats assuming you only catch 1 DPS in the cleave. Now thats 2.4k less healing you require, but its ~4k healing that the DPS now requires. That's a total of 4.1k healing required instead of 2.5k.

Now I'm not saying that's always the case. I'm sure if you got really good at it and knew the fights you could avoid accidentally cleaving your team mates but you risk actually working AGAINST the goal of being a tank by doing that. Plus you're making it harder for yourself to hold threat early on for slightly better threat management later on when you can just gain more benefit from taunting.

This.

Unfortunately Guardian Leap rarely comes into play in most ops content. There are a couple times where you can help at the start of a fight if you're the off tank, like against the Writhing Horror or Kephess, to help make sure the main tank doesn't lose aggro to good DPS before its your turn to taunt the boss off of him.

I've also thought about (as a Jugg DPS) using it on the tank that picks up 2 regulators at the end of the yellow phase in the Operator 9 fight, since I know they normally don't work based on threat but only on taunts, but I'm afraid I'd cause a wipe and haven't done so yet, any idea if that would be a safe spot to leap the tank to help him out?

Edited by wadecounty

I've also thought about (as a Jugg DPS) using it on the tank that picks up 2 regulators at the end of the yellow phase in the Operator 9 fight, since I know they normally don't work based on threat but only on taunts, but I'm afraid I'd cause a wipe and haven't done so yet, any idea if that would be a safe spot to leap the tank to help him out?

You're better off just having your second tank do his job. :-) Leaping to the main tank is *probably* not going to cause a wipe, but if he's holding both Regulators, it's likely that his AoE taunt is down from picking them up while his single target taunt is down from picking up the boss. Thus, it's an extremely risky move, since there's no way to recover if things go wrong.

Proper itemization prevents most tanks from breaking 26k health (my shadow barely breaks 25k with the 3% Endurance talent) and makes it so that you're going to hit 30/ 50/ 50 on Guardians and Shadows with out breaking a sweat. My shadow's currently at 30/50/59 and is still in mostly BH/ Campaign gear (my guardian friend is at like 25/ 55/ 50). Also, Enure for Guardians (30% more Health) is a CD that's designed to give the healers more time to heal you during periods of time when the boss is doing a ****ton of damage.

That all sounds like a terrible way to play a Guardian/ Jugg given that you're going to throw the boss out of position and that the the PvE 2 and 4 piece bonuses vastly outweigh 10% extra damage and a 10% heal.

General Rule of Thumb when it comes to Tank's Health Pools is 3 unmitigated hits. Currently the hardest I ever get hit is around 7.8k damage (not counting flukes during Operator IX), so having 24k health (closer to 25k) is golden for me. Anything more is just making me a resource sponge.

My calculation is that a fully 63 optimized geared mitigation favoring guardian tank would have the 30/50/50 with about 28k HP, correct me if wrong.

My calculation is that a fully 63 optimized geared mitigation favoring guardian tank would have the 30/50/50 with about 28k HP, correct me if wrong.

It depends on how you define "optimized". I would define 28k hp as a bit high and 30% defense as a bit low. My calcs put a fully optimized Guardian at about 33.5/50.5/51% with 25k hp (Guardian armoring and hilt, unlettered mods, high shield augs, and 2 passive def PvP relics).

It depends on how you define "optimized". I would define 28k hp as a bit high and 30% defense as a bit low. My calcs put a fully optimized Guardian at about 33.5/50.5/51% with 25k hp (Guardian armoring and hilt, unlettered mods, high shield augs, and 2 passive def PvP relics).

25k HP can be low for some 8 man and many 16 man late game raids, but I trust your calculations with the mitigation. Is 25k without stims buffs? Because I was counting those.