Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

I really enjoy how Bioware makes server transfers out to be this huge deal, so much effort, blah blah blah. Makes me want to break out a violin and play them a sad song.

Every major recent game has had to do mergers/transfers. There is no reason they shouldn't have expected this and had something in place long before it is needed, not a month after it would have been nice to have.

Due to your complete lack of foresight and proper planning folks got tired of hanging out on dead servers and created toons elsewhere. Your system does not allow them to move their toons to the same server in a timely fashion, likely not even for free.

Overall I give your efforts a thumbs down. Transfers needed, glad to have them, but like everything else you have done since release its to little, to late.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

*Salute* Its nice to see im not the only 1 that thinks Bioware is further shooting themselves in the foot with these so-called character transfers/ voluntary but forced server merges (cause really who is gonna stay on a dead server)

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really enjoy how Bioware makes server transfers out to be this huge deal, so much effort, blah blah blah. Makes me want to break out a violin and play them a sad song.

Every major recent game has had to do mergers/transfers. There is no reason they shouldn't have expected this and had something in place long before it is needed, not a month after it would have been nice to have.

Due to your complete lack of foresight and proper planning folks got tired of hanging out on dead servers and created toons elsewhere. Your system does not allow them to move their toons to the same server in a timely fashion, likely not even for free.

Overall I give your efforts a thumbs down. Transfers needed, glad to have them, but like everything else you have done since release its to little, to late.

I agree they should have anticipated the complications that Legacy would have caused for transfers.

Other than that, saying that BioWare didn't foresee the need for transfers is absolutely incorrect. Because BioWare successfully tested server transfers in closed beta, but before enough headway was made on Legacy.

This is so true,

and it's not just server transfers its almost every feature, everything seems so complicated in these devs world, every feature is hyped like its the second coming of the messiah,

just take for example the group finder, 1.3, a major patch and what is most hyped ? group finder, a feature that is available in pretty much every other MMO out there, even in low budget f2p ones but they make it like its this huge thing, so complicated to create and to make work.

You really think its fair that a lvl 50 legacy can lose their name to a lvl 1 legacy? That isn't being handled poorly? How is the kool aid?

This isn't a forced move. You think it's fair that someone can lose their legacy name because someone ELSE decided to transfer servers? The way they're doing this, the only people risking loss like that are the people moving.

To be honest, this isn't a big issue to me. I got into the pre-launch late, after everyone was whining that all the good names were taken. Given that only one of the eight names I planned on using were in use by the time I got in, I can only assume that these were some unimaginative people, using names that were already associated with the genre, or obvious puns based on them. If I lose my legacy name, I'll barely notice. If I lose any character names, I'll just have to figure out a new name, and let my friends know about the change.

As for "Age of Conan did it differently," that's fine, that's one example. Can you find a second one? That's not how the industry normally does these things, and one example won't change that.

To those calling this a disaster? You're really saying that you'd rather play on a near-empty server with your existing name/legacy than risk losing it moving to a more populated server? Well, you still have that option. Don't transfer.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but say I have 4 characters on one server and 2 on another. both servers are dead and I've decided while moving to an active server, I want to merge the two legacies (one legacy of 6 characters).

In plain terms while transferring can we merge characters from two servers? (I have no idea if I'm wording this right, sorry).

I do hope the Devs read all our posts and see that we are not happy that they are pushing out character transfres b4 they are ready. not just to selected servers from selected servers, but from PVE-PVP, from low pop to high pop not from high pop to low pop. not sure who bioware got to do their math for them or maybe its just me but i highly doubt some1 would ever transfer from a high pop bck to a low pop in hopes it will become populated again. as that is the main reason why most of the servers are empty on a friday/saturday night (ie. 5 ppl on the imp fleet) wow u have enough ppl to do a flashpoint WOOT!!!! is it just me or does bioware think we are all "a few eggs short of a dozen"???? there is a simple solution to this problem if u would just listen to us we are giving u tons and tons of idea but ur too stubborn to pull ur heads out of ur back ends. simple solution close half of the US servers and create those super servers ur talking soo much about. and to all those ppl that QQ about not getting to keep ur name plez do us all a favor and un-sub its just a name and there are many ways to get ur name. (ie. ALT-Codes google it and use it).

Well Bioware the Transfer is a good idea! However way to fail again putting restrictions on what types of servers you can transfer to...First off you say if you start on PVE you can only Transfer to PVE...I currently play on a PVE server and i tell you it sucks...Some of us feel that we should be able to transfer to ANY type of server we choose...I know there has got to be more players who feel as i do..Way to go.....

Dexx - Kaas City

Andor - Kaas City

Leonin- Kaas City

Really wake up BioWare..you perobably will lose more subs Again LULZ!

Edited by Leopoi
need to add more

Here's an Idea; If you're transferring a legacy from one server, say lvl 35 to another with a legacy of lvl 11 combine the 2 levels then minus a level for variances as if you stayed on the original server and leveled another alt. So it becomes lvl 45 on the transfer.

JMHO

Not that you loose much, there's no rewards for lvl 35, 40 45 or 50 legacy anyways...

Edited by BashFall

Here's an Idea; If you're transferring a legacy from one server, say lvl 35 to another with a legacy of lvl 11 combine the 2 levels then minus a level for variances as if you stayed on the original server and leveled another alt. So it becomes lvl 45 on the transfer.

JMHO

Not that you loose much, there's no rewards for lvl 35, 40 45 of 50 legacy anyways...

Wouldn't that make a huge difference in the legacy xp? What I mean is you can reach Legacy level 1 way quicker than Legacy 50 right?

Edited by Tuscad

Well Bioware the Transfer is a good idea! However way to fail again putting restrictions on what types of servers you can transfer to...First off you say if you start on PVE you can only Transfer to PVE...I currently play on a PVE server and i tell you it sucks...Some of us feel that we should be able to transfer to ANY type of server we choose...I know there has got to be more players who feel as i do..Way to go.....

Dexx - Kaas City

Andor - Kaas City

Leonin- Kaas City

Really wake up BioWare..you perobably will lose more subs Again LULZ!

I FEEL UR PAIN....I KNOW EXACTLY HOW U FEEL!!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad: again in Classic EA fashion Bioware is giving us (the player base) the short straw.

well it is nice to see that transfers will be starting, but the news also burst my bubble. I re rolled onto a larger pop server a while ago and have even found a guild that is patient enough to wait for me to xfer my main to the server, but unfortunately it looks like I will not be able to now because my original character is on a pvp east coast server where I got assigned at launch because I was in a guild with a majority of east coasters. Well that guild on the dead server died so I re rolled on a pve west coast server. So now I have a character in his 30s in a guild expecting me to xfer my geared 50 character there for raiding and I can't bring him over. Please Bioware I implore you open up xfers from pvp to pve and vice versa! I was waiting for transfers to the pve west coast server before reactivating my account, but now that I won't be able to xfer from pvp to pve there is really no point for me to reactivate.

I FEEL UR PAIN....I KNOW EXACTLY HOW U FEEL!!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad: again in Classic EA fashion Bioware is giving us (the player base) the short straw.

Yeah, because players really want to be forced to choose between moving to a different type of server that they chose not to play on or staying on an empty one. That would be the short straw for these server transfers where you get 1 server offered to you.

If you so want to switch from PVE to PVP or vice versa then reroll (because you cannot claim it is in any way BW's fault that you chose the wrong type of server) or wait for paid transfers at a later date.

Edited by Arlbo_Nabbins

In what sense do responses to transfers from the community (basically these forums) have anything to do with target transfer servers?

I'm pretty sure it's not the forum response that they care about. I think they're concerned with what percentage of the people decide to take the transfer. If only 5% of any given server is transferring, they'll need to move more origination servers onto each destination server in order to get it up to the population levels that they want to see as compared to how many they'd put on each one if 50% of any given server population transfers.

I do hope the Devs read all our posts and see that we are not happy that they are pushing out character transfres b4 they are ready.

Well, I'm sure they are reading ALL the posts and finding that the response has been overwhelmingly positive.

I just went through the first 20 pages, then pages 40-50, then pages 60-70 (where pretty much no one new has been posting) and these are my results, excluding just questions and multiple posts from the same user:

Number of unique responses in favor of this news: 68

Number of unique responses not in favor: 27

You do the math. ;) Multiple posts from the same few users do not mean there's a big issue. :D

I dont understand so if im on an "origin" server and the list goes up, and everyone from my server decides to move to a destination server does that mean ill be stuck on a server all alone ?

If our server is listed as an origin does that basically mean im going to have to move and probably lose my names?

Well, I'm sure they are reading ALL the posts and finding that the response has been overwhelmingly positive.

I just went through the first 20 pages, then pages 40-50, then pages 60-70 (where pretty much no one new has been posting) and these are my results, excluding just questions and multiple posts from the same user:

Number of unique responses in favor of this news: 68

Number of unique responses not in favor: 27

You do the math. ;) Multiple posts from the same few users do not mean there's a big issue. :D

Nicely done.

Good news all around, I think. It makes perfect sense why it isn't a free-for-all. And I think it's great that they're letting you duplicate your guild bank on the new server with only a customer service contact. Very cool.

If you're in a PVE and you can't switch to PVP yet, you can always join The Fatman. :csw_trooper:

Don't usually post, more of a lurker, but I have to say I'm pretty disappointed with this. I understand Bioware's desire to fix the low pop problems as quickly as possible, but for a company that tries to be careful in managing expectations they've kinda screwed up - it's great that Bioware have got it done in time for June (which was when I'd been expecting it), but it's a vastly different prospect than what was talked up during recent interviews.

My problems with it:

- No consolidation of legacy. When I first rolled on pre-launch access, I ended up on a server that got chosen by the Spanish and Italian communities, meaning 5+ hour queues for the first few weeks. Fair enough - I re-rolled on a couple of different servers with friends as they joined, so I now have medium-high level characters across three servers. This is primarily a product of the way launch populations were handled. This isn't a whine about launch, just an observation that it seems to have caused people, myself included, to split their toons over servers until they found the gaming experience they were looking for. EDIT: From reading other's posts, it seems this has also been the case because of dead servers, with people rolling on multiple servers until they find one that has maintained a stable medium-high pop.It's natural that people want to unite them on a single server given the advantages that legacy conveys across characters, but without being able to choose a destination server, then there's a very low likelihood this will be possible.

- No consolidation of legacy experience. This hasn't ever been something that Bioware have promised, but I've always been confused as to why they haven't implemented it. Perhaps there's a more complex technical explanation, but from where I'm standing, it seems like it's some pretty simple arithmatic to add up the total Legacy XP from two legacies (i.e. one being imported onto a server where the account already has another legacy), and the player would be gaining nothing they hadn't already earned. Again, the fact that the legacies are on an account are currently split across servers may well be because of launch, which in my mind means Bioware should be willing to fix it.

- No possibility of change from PvE to PvP - some of the servers I rolled on with friends were PvE, which I'd never really played on with any MMO, but have since discovered is not for me. One of the great prospects of a server change was the idea of getting these toons onto a PvP server. Again, this also serves to prevent unification of legacies, as those with toons on multiple server types will never be offered the same destination server for all toons in this round of transfers.

- Limited ability to transfer to servers with friends. If you and friends have toons on different servers, unless you get put in the same pool of "transfer from" servers, you won't end up in the same place. Not exactly in the spirit of "Allies"...

- The possibility of all of the above in future, but only at a charge. This is the real kicker. I'm happy to wait a little longer for the transfer service I was expecting, but as I see it, the reason I have toons distributed across servers is a product of the way Bioware handled launch populations. Again - very smoothly for an MMO launch, but ultimately Bioware's responsibility to fix. The idea of having to pay more just to fix this is pretty galling.

Hope this gets taken in the spirit it's intended - love the game, but this wasn't the transfer system we were looking for.

Edited by Milegon

Yay for transfers, but the way guilds are handled is pretty bad tbh. Our guild has the problem that most have unsubbed or aren't logging in much/at all at the moment, so our only hope is the Basilisk Droid will be a "destination server". The logistics of prompting everyone to move to another server within a timely fashion given our current activity rate is nigh impossible.

In fact we were in the early guild program and initially wanted to play on an RP-PvP server which were not offered for the early guild placement. Since many of our members began playing later because of the christmas holidays we opted against trying to move every one over because it would have caused a lot of confusion. So what I'm saying is that we basically chose not to move our guild manualy during a time where people were actually loging in regularly and now were need to do it with an almost shattered guild.....I think not!

Thanks for trying to improve the situation Bioware, realy, I mean it. Just not a very good or helpful choice for guilds like mine.

Edited by Riven

I like the plan . But wish they had a way that you could look up to see what sever your friends are on then you could plan your move with that in mind.:(

Well if they're your friends i guess you can talk with them beforehand?:p I don't see a problem in this, if he's important you'll have a whole few days to decide on which server to go, this applies to guilds to ( true members will question about the future of their guild, the rest can go wherever they want :p)

1) Will the transfer be done through the web page or through the game? - Currently the game is dead, even with active subscription I deleted it and do not wish to reinstall unless your patch notes or game related information convince me otherwise. I will not be redownloading the game just to press copy on the selected characters.

2) Is it require to have an active subscription or will you let everyone to transfer their characters? As it turned out, my active sub ends within next 2 or 3 weeks. You have not yet convinced me that the game is going to get any better and I will not be resubscribing atm. I might think about it if I see positive comments about the content within few weeks after its release, however IF I decide to resubscribe I would like to have my characters ready to play on a server that is not dead.

Edited by Adderdin

This will help in a small way but ignores the main problem the game is dying from lack of variety.

A. Do PVP with same opponets but they may have a different class. BORING no new challenges.

B. Do Daily Quests as it is so freaking boring. (Godd reason I quit WoW)

C. Bugs Bugs Bugs that crash the sound or game or Ops or FPs.

Bio Ware should consider fun as the main reason to play.

A. Fix cross server Flash Points and PVP War Zones. This is fun while playing same people forever is not fun.

B. Install random Dailies with Random rewards. At least attempt to do something about the boring Dailies.

C. Fix the bugs that drive us crazy the most.

Please Bioware allow us to xfer from pvp to pve servers and vice versa. I am one of many people who re rolled on another server and it just happens to be pve while my main character is stuck on a dead pvp server. I'm curious as to how long I am going to have to wait before I get the chance to transfer the character I want onto the server i want. Would be nice to get an ETA so I can know if I should bother reactivating my account or not.

Starting June 12th! LOL to all the haters who said it wouldn't be here until after June 20th, and probably not until August. :D

It isn't the 12th of June yet.

"Haters"? It has nothing to do with hate and everything to do with group play or should I say the lack of