Character Analysis: Dash Rendar

Wolfninjajedi

Alright am back with a Character Analysis thread, this time it is of the smuggler Dash Rendar! Dash is one of my fav Star Wars characters, I feel as if he isn't well known(even though there is a lot of information on him) and most think he is just a Han Solo rip off when really that isn't true...so lets take a look at him!

============

"He doesn't want to owe anybody, doesn't want anybody to owe him. He works for whoever pays the most. He's downright magic with anything that flies, and he can pick wing nuts off a tabletop with a blaster without scorching the finish. He's a good man to have at your back when the going gets hot—as long as your money lasts."

―Lando Calrissian, on Dash Rendar

Dash Rendar was a human male smuggler/freelancer and was born in a wealthy Corellian family though instead of going with the family business decided to pursue a career as an Imperial Navy officer. However that was not to be as his brother was killed by Prince Xizor after the Prince wasn't able to get a hold of the family business, thus also destroying an Imperial Museum. The Rendar family was then exiled from the Core Worlds, and on the Outer Rim Dash became known as a hot shot pilot, smuggler and mercenary.

His success gained him a YT-2400 freighter known as the Outrider, a navigator known as Edan Vrill and a Cybot Galactica LE-series repair droid LE-BO2D9 though the latter was killed in an assassin. Despite his dislike of the Empire, Dash held onto his independence and refused to join the Rebel Alliance though he did work for them as long as he was well paid. While delivering supplies to Hoth, Rendar became trapped in Echo Base as Imperial Troopers stormed in thus he had to fight his way to his ship and then fight off TIE fighters through an asteroid belt before escaping completely from the Imperials.

Sometime after Rendar agreed in finding Boba Fett and a frozen Han Solo after the latter had been captured as a favor to Lando. Traveling to Ord Mantell noting that Boba had been in a skirmish with IG-88D and figuring he knew where Fett was going, Dash met with the deadly assassin droid and a fight broke out and though the details of the fight are unknown Dash in the end destroyed IG-88D. The smuggler then reported his findings to where Boba was headed to Lando, before going to Gall in the Zhar system and after fighting through Imperial patrols and working his way through an Imperial base(while also destroying an AT-ST with the help of a jetpack) Dash finally caught up with Boba Fett.

A fight broke out between the two, which caused Boba's ship to be damaged and thus the bounty hunter was stuck on Gall for a time as Dash then led Luke and company to where he was before abandoning them, but by the time they reached they were unable to prevent Boba from escaping with Han. Later on Dash was hired by Leia, to watch over Luke after an assassination attempt on his life, while on Tatooine Dash overheard a swoop gang with a plan to go kill Luke but before it could happen Dash kill the gang members as they raced off to Ben's old homestead.

Sometime later, Dash was contacted by Chewie to help rescue Leia who was being held captive by Prince Xizor and so wanting to make amends for a previous failure he agreed. Sneaking into Coruscant and meeting with Lando, Luke and Chewie, Dash suggested using the sewers to get into Xizor's palace which was agreed upon as Dash made his way through. Eventually after rescuing Leia, a battle broke out over Coruscant between Rebel and Black Sun forces though soon Vader and his Super Star Destroyer the Executor arrived and joined in the battle after learning of the Prince's attempts to kill Luke.

As Prince Xizor's skyhook was destroyed, Dash Rendar and the Outrider was nowhere to be seen thus leaving the group on the Falcon to believe that Dash was dead when infact Dash had escaped into hyperspace just as the skyhook was destroyed. In 4 ABY, Dash was on Hurd's Moon and caught up with Guri, who had her assassin programming purged and eventually Dash and Guri formed a mercenary team up, soon being hired by Admiral Ackbar to help place a spy on a Tof fortress on the world Saijo., teaming up with Kyle Katarn and Bey for the mission. Sometime later, Dash and Guri formed the Onadax Droid Technologies, and he used Guri as a template in making a human droid replica of his brother who severed as the head for ODT, after this Guri and Dash went their separate ways.

By the time ODT was infiltrated by Jaina Solo, Rendar was still widely believed to be dead however sightings were reported during the Yuuzhan Vong War of Dash sabotaging the efforts of the Vong.

===============

Personality/Traits

Tall and lean, with red hair, green eyes and pale skin, Rendar was considered attractive and was popular with both students and teachers alike during his time at the Imperial Academy. The death of his brother changed Rendar, leaving him with a bitter resentment of both the Empire and Black Sun. He lost the clean-cut looks and well-spoken voice, developing a more chiseled, muscular appearance[8] with the lazy, insolent attitude common among smugglers, and giving those he met the impression of a rugged, streetwise mercenary with a sharp wit.[9] Despite his outward appearance of nonchalance, Rendar was constantly aware of his surroundings and his hand rarely strayed far from his blaster.

Rendar was a skilled pilot. While studying at the Imperial Academy, he frequently impressed both his fellow cadets and his instructors by executing maneuvers that pushed the ships he flew well beyond their usual limits. After leaving the Academy, it was not long before Rendar discovered that his piloting skills had the potential to serve him well as a smuggler. Never short of confidence, Rendar frequently boasted that he was able to fly any ship and was equally good with a blaster.

=======

Equipment

Rendar was usually seen wearing a blue and brown jumpsuit—typical attire for freighter captains at the time—along with a flexmetal blast vest with padded pauldrons that provided some protection during lightfights and a pair of brown flight gloves. A comlink on his wrist provided him with a long range shielded single-channel link to Leebo, and he sometimes carried a small comlink on his belt as an emergency back-up. His outfit was completed by a heavy blaster pistol slung low on his hip. Rendar sometimes carried additional equipment and weapons when required but generally preferred to travel light.

========

Thoughts

As said Dash Rendar is one of my fav characters in Star Wars, am not sure where people get the idea he is a Han Solo clone. The only thing that really makes them similar is the fact that they fly ships that was made by the same company(The Falcon/Outrider) but even the the ships are different with different modifications on them. Plus their personalities are clearly different, not to mention that Dash works strictly for the money which is something I like about him, he isn't a smuggler turned into a Rebel he stays as a smuggler through and through and while I like the Alliance, am glad that the writers didn't turn him into a Rebel Agent.

All in all, Dash Rendar is a nice and creative character. Hope that he gets picked up again, there could be some very interesting stories and another thing that made him interesting was you got to see the other side of the galaxy so to speak. With Dash, it wasn't just about the Rebels vs Empire it was also about the Underworld and the like which makes it very interesting.

=======

Pictures

http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/9/98/Dash_Rendar_-_SWGTCG.jpg

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120807010447/nintendo/en/images/4/42/Dash_Rendar.png

http://customstarwars.freeweb.hu/sote/dash_ig88.jpg

Videos

- Part 1

- Part 2 Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Yep, yep. Also side note: In ANH the Outrider could be seen leaving Mos Eisley.

Why haven't I seen that before?

More importantly, why has it been more than a month since I've watched ANH?

Anyway, I'll look for the Outrider next time I watch ANH.

Why haven't I seen that before?

More importantly, why has it been more than a month since I've watched ANH?

Anyway, I'll look for the Outrider next time I watch ANH.

Ya, you see it when the camera is like paned out and showing a good portion of Mos Eisley and you'll see the Outrider in the sky. More importantly, it makes YT-2400's G-canon now my fav starship yay!