[Panel Discussion] Economy and Crew Skills (4:15PM CST)

will Cybertech be able to craft Orange droid parts and crit (add augment slots)?

or build droid replacements for undesirable companions (rakata mind prison ish personality chips to preserve story and what-not as well as maintain basic role - tank/dps/heals)?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does orange gear not kill itemization? At level 10 I have my BIS weapon and mods for it are given to me through commendations. I have NO reason to run a FP for a weapon drop let alone any quest rewards with weapons.

As you gain levels and acquire more orange gear the need for drops decreases even more.

This also affects crafters because I have no reason to get a prototype or better crafted piece of armor once I have an orange piece in that slot.

You can run flashpoints to get the mods out of the weapon drops.

"The GTN is terrible" and "We're gonna make all crafting endgame viable."

We knew that, and have heard that, already. 10 minutes of stat rambling about the leveling curve and how many players have X cash.... a panel on "crafting and the economy" should not focus on the Statistics side, but on the player-impact and experience side. This was the worst presentation so far. Georg, I love your brain, but please next time leave the 5000 slides at home and get someone to TELL US WHAT THE PLANS ARE.

Really, not one word on the horrible GTN interface or plans for it?

No new info on the planned crafting changes?

:confused:

:mad:

I was wondering after seeing the statistics from the presentation or least the nice graphs they made since they were low quality. Could we get those graphs weekly with the summary or least more often in the future, I know I like looking at them and seeing trends. I know it would be hard to do it live like Saints Row The Third style but at least having them could keep some rumors in check.

"The GTN is terrible" and "We're gonna make all crafting endgame viable."

We knew that, and have heard that, already. 10 minutes of stat rambling about the leveling curve and how many players have X cash.... a panel on "crafting and the economy" should not focus on the Statistics side, but on the player-impact and experience side. This was the worst presentation so far. Georg, I love your brain, but please next time leave the 5000 slides at home and get someone to TELL US WHAT THE PLANS ARE.

Really, not one word on the horrible GTN interface or plans for it?

No new info on the planned crafting changes?

:mad:

i couldn't agree more not just on the GTN/crafting but everything they've covered tonight (UK here) every answer has either been 1.1.5, 1.2 or 'in the future' its getting boring now we want time lines this 'in the future' is just absolute bs trying to spin us a line to resubscribe 'in the future' could be 1 day - 100 years really doesn't give us any clue to when. Very very disappointed with the direction in not answering questions more direct, all you are doing is a vast sales pitch nothing more nothing less.

Schematics need an 'already known' label so players are not constantly flipping back and forth between their bags/GTN and their crew skill window to see if they already have a particular schematic.

This is needed

Adrenals cost roughly the same amount in mats as Stims for a non biochem this becomes extremly pricey to keep stock of adrenals.

Can we have it changes so either More adrenals are made per craft or the mats are reduced. The Stims seem to be on par but Adrenals need some help.

Adrenals cost roughly the same amount in mats as Stims for a non biochem this becomes extremly pricey to keep stock of adrenals.

Can we have it changes so either More adrenals are made per craft or the mats are reduced. The Stims seem to be on par but Adrenals need some help.

I would go so far as to say as for someone without reusable adrenals, these people are either super-rich or adrenals do not exist. If they take away reusables (I have Biochem for those only because I refuse to pay 15k/h for a stim +15K/3min for an adrenal) I will not ever pop an adrenal again, and even use stims with caution.

The thing is also, that certain attitude that you *ought* to use this stuff like you were happily chain-smoking dollar bills in real life, no matter what the content and your raid actually needs. Like, stim-only access to normal mode operations that are meant for PUGs and are only marginally harder than hardmode flashpoints.

No, just no. I don't even care about server economy or whatever in that regard, all I want is to log into the game and do the stuff that is fun. And one the least fun activities ever is just farm back in what you have eaten the night before because someone (or the a large part of the community as a whole) believes it is your sacred duty to do so. I still remember the time when flasks where for the elite guilds going for server first kills and mostly only handed out to tanks on specific boss fights (and paid for from the raid bank, not their own wallet); nowaways it's like professional bike sport - everyone is doping and everyone expects you to.

Being able to give gifts to your ship droid to pump up his affection is fantastic, but why luxury gifts? That's the type that was mentioned during the panel, at least. Doesn't make sense to me that the droid itself would be interested in luxury goods.

What about Republic or Imperial Memorabilia instead? Faction dependent, obviously. That fits better with their sycophantic personalities, and there are always lots of those gift types sitting on the GTN because relatively few companions prefer them. Unless you're adding conversations as well, we're going to need a TON of gits to max them out, and memorabilia is a ready supply waiting to be used.

Being able to give gifts to your ship droid to pump up his affection is fantastic, but why luxury gifts? That's the type that was mentioned during the panel, at least. Doesn't make sense to me that the droid itself would be interested in luxury goods.

What about Republic or Imperial Memorabilia instead? Faction dependent, obviously. That fits better with their sycophantic personalities, and there are always lots of those gift types sitting on the GTN because relatively few companions prefer them. Unless you're adding conversations as well, we're going to need a TON of gits to max them out, and memorabilia is a ready supply waiting to be used.

Or, hey, you know, technology. Because that's the only thing they could have an actual, legitimate use for. "Oh, thank you for this Blargian Omni-Tool, master! Now I can repair my faulty [disturbingly intimate description of droid parts]!" etc.

No, just no. I don't even care about server economy or whatever in that regard, all I want is to log into the game and do the stuff that is fun. And one the least fun activities ever is just farm back in what you have eaten the night before because someone (or the a large part of the community as a whole) believes it is your sacred duty to do so. I still remember the time when flasks where for the elite guilds going for server first kills and mostly only handed out to tanks on specific boss fights (and paid for from the raid bank, not their own wallet); nowaways it's like professional bike sport - everyone is doping and everyone expects you to.

I agree. They had the right mix already. The blues being better than the reusables meant that those doing the hardest content had incentive to use the blues. And the reusables could be used by the rest of us, a nice one time fee. The only problem was that they required biochem.

Get rid of that requirement on the non-rakata purples and it will be fine.

Question:

We've already heard that with the upcoming ability to extract base mods from artifact gear and the ability to crit craft moddable gear with augment slots, it seems likely that crit crafted moddable gear is going to quickly become Best In Slot. But there are so many cool-looking moddable item sets out in the world that I'd like to have the option of wearing without losing the ability to have that augment slot. Is there going to be any way through crafting to add a augment slot to an existing moddable item?

Was this question ever answered? I'm interested because the whole augment slot on orange gear concept ruins the entire point of orange gear unless all orange gear can get the augment slots somehow.

With no augment slots we can all look how we want, putting the mods from our raid/PvP gear into the sets of our choice. With augment slots introduced to this gear we are either going to have to get the orange gear that has been crit(there aren't many different sets of orange crafted gear and the ones that do exist are uglier than the raid sets) or we will be gimping ourselves to look how we want, so basically back where we were when the tier sets were still BiS.

Was this question ever answered? I'm interested because the whole augment slot on orange gear concept ruins the entire point of orange gear unless all orange gear can get the augment slots somehow.

With no augment slots we can all look how we want, putting the mods from our raid/PvP gear into the sets of our choice. With augment slots introduced to this gear we are either going to have to get the orange gear that has been crit(there aren't many different sets of orange crafted gear and the ones that do exist are uglier than the raid sets) or we will be gimping ourselves to look how we want, so basically back where we were when the tier sets were still BiS.

This is not necessarily the answer to your question, but it might allay some of your concerns. The devs indicated cosmetic customization options for most armors are incoming very soon. I think it might have been 1.2, but I won't swear to that. This is not just a color swath either. There were several cool new customization options incomimg sucvh that you will be able to make that dumblooking critcrafted armor look as uber as your FP/Ops drops.

Although I think that introducing augment slots to certain existing armor derived from higher level Ops and Flashpoints is a resoundingly good idea, I understand why they are not doing this. Georg made a good point: while generally crafted armor is not better than dropped amor or PvP armor (which will be available for direct purchase with commendations), the rare orange crit-crafted gear with pvp/pve mods from drops and augment slots is an exception involving a slight to moderate advantage.

Why should this be? Generally speaking, the player/crafting economy suffers when crafters cannot produce comparable quality to drops. On the other hand, drops need to be competetive for those who do not want to purchase from crafters, so this is a good compromise. Some crafter armor, requiring more investment to craft, will be superior provided that it is modded with mods used from drops. So armor that is dervied both from crafting and from drops or PvP (by way of using the mods from that gear) is going to be superior. It combines elements from both sources.

I personally do not craft armor, but I do not mind purchasing from crafters. If it is not on th GTN, there are many xcrafters both inside and outside my guild who will help me for a reasonable cost, especially if I supply the mats. I do gather and slice, which is only logical for one who does nto craft and has numerous companions just sitting ont eh ship doing nothing. So, it is fun to see a player-based economy, even fi I am not a major armor retailer myself. I like wearing something that was made by a guildie, for instance, more than I like wearing something that fell out of a wampa's butt after I whacked him. Others feel differently, and I get that, but from a thematic perspective: why did the wampa have a chest piece in his butt anyway? Did he eat a jedi before I got there? If I am wearing crafted armor, then I am wearing something someone (virtually) made, and I find that to be pretty cool, especially nwo that I will be able to put my guild emblem on it.

But - that's just me.

Are they factoring out alts in that? Cuz my main has 2,500,000 give or take and I'm not even really trying on him. My alt has around 300k, and my little mini alts under 20 are of course holding much less. Most of my guild is around the same.

Or even just people leveling mains. That new player bit, the level range spread, etc.

And also, there's a difference between money being easy to get in this game and people actually going out and getting it. In two days of dailies, I could get 400k. But doing dailies means I'm not well situated to find HM groups, so I don't really bother to run the dailies much, maybe for some affection, but that's about it.

This is not necessarily the answer to your question, but it might allay some of your concerns. The devs indicated cosmetic customization options for most armors are incoming very soon. I think it might have been 1.2, but I won't swear to that. This is not just a color swath either. There were several cool new customization options incomimg sucvh that you will be able to make that dumblooking critcrafted armor look as uber as your FP/Ops drops.

Although I think that introducing augment slots to certain existing armor derived from higher level Ops and Flashpoints is a resoundingly good idea, I understand why they are not doing this. Georg made a good point: while generally crafted armor is not better than dropped amor or PvP armor (which will be available for direct purchase with commendations), the rare orange crit-crafted gear with pvp/pve mods from drops and augment slots is an exception involving a slight to moderate advantage.

Why should this be? Generally speaking, the player/crafting economy suffers when crafters cannot produce comparable quality to drops. On the other hand, drops need to be competetive for those who do not want to purchase from crafters, so this is a good compromise. Some crafter armor, requiring more investment to craft, will be superior provided that it is modded with mods used from drops. So armor that is dervied both from crafting and from drops or PvP (by way of using the mods from that gear) is going to be superior. It combines elements from both sources.

I personally do not craft armor, but I do not mind purchasing from crafters. If it is not on th GTN, there are many xcrafters both inside and outside my guild who will help me for a reasonable cost, especially if I supply the mats. I do gather and slice, which is only logical for one who does nto craft and has numerous companions just sitting ont eh ship doing nothing. So, it is fun to see a player-based economy, even fi I am not a major armor retailer myself. I like wearing something that was made by a guildie, for instance, more than I like wearing something that fell out of a wampa's butt after I whacked him. Others feel differently, and I get that, but from a thematic perspective: why did the wampa have a chest piece in his butt anyway? Did he eat a jedi before I got there? If I am wearing crafted armor, then I am wearing something someone (virtually) made, and I find that to be pretty cool, especially nwo that I will be able to put my guild emblem on it.

But - that's just me.

I'm all for the system they're making so that crafted gear + dropped gear becomes your best in slot gear. The problem I am having is that it still will kill customization. I really doubt that the crafted orange gear will look any better unless their customization options they'll be adding completely allow you to change the appearance. Adding 1 or 2 "cool looking" attachments to a ****** looking piece of gear is still a ****** looking piece of gear.

As for the augment slot I think you misunderstood me. I don't wish for them to just add augment slots to existing gear. I still would like it to be through crafting. Something along the lines of an Armormech or Synthweaver crafting an item that will add an augment slot to a piece of armor, or an Armtech doing the same with weapons. This will still cause a demand for crafters for endgame gear while allowing players to wear the moddable armor they actually like regardless of it being from a crafting recipe or not.

As it stands with the info we have, I'm going to be forced into crafting myself a set of crit orange gear and hating how I look even more than I do right now with full Rakata gear(and I absolutely HATE the Commando PvE Armor so that's saying a lot).

I'm still a firm believer that BioWare should add something like an

Augmentation Device

Such an item could be created by certain Crew Skills (making these Crew Skills more worthwhile to get), works as a consumable and would apply a single augment slot to a piece of armor by the person that uses it.

This would instantly increase the revenue of Augments and accompanying Crew Skills that can obtain/craft Augments and the Crew Skill(s) that could craft Augmentation Devices and allow for everyone to look how they want to look without being forced to look like a clone (again).

Also, the Augmentation Device would not diminish the overall value of crit-crafted Custom gear as people could still choose between buying the higher priced crit-crafted item or their regular counterpart (often made by the same person) and buy a separate Augmentation Device to achieve the same result.

• And before the Synthweavers/Armormechs come along complaining that it would still diminish their precious and rare crit-crafted items; ask yourself this: What do you do with all those regular crafted items you made before you got lucky and crit-crafted one?

• So instead of asking, say, 250k for a crit-crafted piece but seeing no sales at all for your (wasted) 50k regular versions that nobody cares about; with Augmentation Device consumables you could sell both the regular versions at 50k and the crit-crafted versions at 75k (imaginary values just for the sake of comparison); resulting into a better overall net yield by being able to sell both your regular items and the crit-crafted ones.

:csw_bluesaber::):csw_redsaber:

Edited by Danakar

Are there any plans to implement both a guild vault(s) for item storage / general guild population use, and a personal vault that's shared across all of you characters on the same server - perhaps something that lives on your home planet?

The only armor customization that is coming in 1.2 is a function they had in the game already at one point. Match to chest or color matching. Thats it.

Incorrect.

For one thing, we allow individual piece matching against chest color in 1.2.

On top of that, we full mod customization of all purple gear in 1.2, including the ability to extract and transfer endgame set bonuses onto custom gear.

-- Georg

I hope this means more Orange-modifiable crafting schematics. I have been doing Synthweaving from day 1 of early access and I'm not even close to being able to craft a whole matching set of Orange-modifiable armor. (much less multiple sets to choose a custom look from) Edited by MorgonKara

Incorrect.

For one thing, we allow individual piece matching against chest color in 1.2.

On top of that, we full mod customization of all purple gear in 1.2, including the ability to extract and transfer endgame set bonuses onto custom gear.

-- Georg

While we are at it, maybe you can give us a confirmation on some of my current assumptions:

- Extracting all pieces from a purple item effectively makes them equivalent to an orange item, i.e. you can put in anything you want (for example, fill a Sith Juggernaut piece with Bounty Hunter mods)

- Not only set items from vendors, but all (or just high level?) purple items allow extraction of mods; I further assume this means you can take one of the many purple belts or bracers and empty them out or partially modify/upgrade them. This would provide a welcome end on the very limited situation regarding moddable belts and bracers, particularly since for some ACs there aren't any at all.

Edited by Mephane

While we are at it, maybe you can give us a confirmation on some of my current assumptions:

- Extracting all pieces from a purple item effectively makes them equivalent to an orange item, i.e. you can put in anything you want (for example, fill a Sith Juggernaut piece with Bounty Hunter mods)

Some current orange items are flagged as class specific. E.g. orange headbands for JCs. If the purple item has a class specific flag now, it would keep it when the mods are extracted.

It is the mods which are never class specific.