Stock Night on The Bastion

Drakkolich

With the very succesful Strike night that has been going on at Ebon Hawk, and my recent adventures of playing a ton of stock games, I thought it might be fun to have an event where everyone that is participating plays on Stock ships.

The plan is that on Wednesday, August 13th everyone interested would come play on The Bastion in only Stock ships.

I would suggest making a new alt with " -Stock " at the end (example: Drakolich-Stock) to show that you are participating.

The rules are simple, and were going by the honor system anyways so just come have fun if this interests you.

- You can fly any ship

- You can only use the default components of that ship, no swaping anything around.

- You can't upgrade anything

- You can only use the 4 default crew members (you can however change the copilot)

Time for the event is going to be 5pm-midnight pdt (8pm-3am est)

I hope everyone has fun, if anyone has suggestions for the event I'm all ears and if it's really successful we can make it a weekly thing.

So there would be only three ship types available, or would it be legitimate to play something like a stock Spearpoint?

You can play all 12 ships, as long as they are the default components with no upgrades. So a stock Spearpoint would be just fine yes.

Would definitely enjoy a coordinated stock night - our records of stock ships are pretty much us (as new players in the eyes of matchmaking) facing newbs with no skill or talent or pedigree. This allows for a bit more.... interesting results to see the scaling of ability vs the scaling of gear. Dope idea Drako - please make schedule :)

My only thing against one of the points you mentioned is that we can only use the default crew members:

The imps start with a crew member that gives an AoE accuracy buff (which I'm sure all of the aces will be running), and if this rule stays the same... the Imps should theoretically dominate the pubs.

I feel like the pubs should at least be able to swap crew members, and not just stick with the ones they have. But other than that I'm all for it.

Edited by Camelpockets

My only thing against one of the points you mentioned is that we can only use the default crew members:

The imps start with a crew member that gives an AoE accuracy buff (which I'm sure all of the aces will be running), and if this rule stays the same... the Imps should theoretically dominate the pubs.

I feel like the pubs should at least be able to swap crew members, and not just stick with the ones they have. But other than that I'm all for it.

Imps get wingman, though so in the end I'd say it even's out.

Thanks for correcting me, I miss understood what Camel was saying yes. Imps get wingman, and Pubs get pinpointing so imps will have burst accuracy while pubs have constant accuracy. Pretty interesting trade off if you ask me, should make for some good games either way. ^^

So much positive feedback for the idea so far, I'll probably have to make it a weekly thing at this rate. :)

Wow guys I can't believe how many people came to The Bastion for this event, thank you very much to all of you!

I played for about 6 hours straight and in most of my games there were atleast 5+ people with -stock at the end of there names, and even more on alts playing stock ships. It was really incredible to see that level of participation from everyone.

The games themselves were awesome, I can't remember having this many close games in one night. I ended up playing 24 games in total, and I'd say 8+ of them were nailbiters, I'm talking 1000-950 49-45 , that kind of stuff.

I streamed my entire play of stock night and the video will be up for about a week here if anyone is interested. My stats by then end of the night looked like this for anyone interested in that.

This will definitely become a weekly thing, I can't promise I will stream for the entire duration every week but I will try to play as much as I can.

Thanks again to everyone who showed up and I look forward to seeing you guys next week.

There was really a great turnout for stock night, plenty of actual playername-stock pilots as well as other 2 shippers (intentional or not)

Played maybe 5 games and they were all close. I will definitely be doing this again next week. Part of what makes this great is that its a night when new pilots are on equal footing with most of the veterans. I even managed to get some nice kills on mastered ships that were not participating. Anyways, thanks for thinking this up drak!

(got screenies as well which I have yet to post)

Gah! I completely spaced out that this was happening. Oh well.

I wouldn't say it really puts the newbies on the same levels as the vets... Stock night has more appeal to the vets and aces overall since it allows us to go head to head with other skilled pilots on relatively equal footing and builds without worrying about the meta as much.

I know a lot of pilots that won't make it because this is in their operations timeframe.

What about late week after everyone is done with PVE stuff? Or Mondays, day before reset.

Every group is different. I run NiM DF/DP every day except for Friday. And I know other groups have widely different schedules.

Gah! I completely spaced out that this was happening. Oh well.

I wouldn't say it really puts the newbies on the same levels as the vets... Stock night has more appeal to the vets and aces overall since it allows us to go head to head with other skilled pilots on relatively equal footing and builds without worrying about the meta as much.

when I say equal footing I mean we are all flying similar ships. Part of the thing people complain about is upgrades and how gear gaps ruin the game. This night puts everyone at the same level, outside of skill and knowledge of course. No its not like new player vs new player, but they certainly have a better chance than on a regular night.

The beauty of it IMO is that new players automatically participate, you don't need to bring anything or do anything special as a new player to enjoy stock night.