Colicoid Wargames: antithesis of what a flashpoint should be

Never do this kind of Flashpoint again please.

1) You CANNOT have a group situation where success or failure rests on not the characters, but 100% on the players behind it, at least in a MMORPG. That's against the very definition of it.

2) NEVER, EVER, make it so the roles we all picked and played, the gear we all amassed, are not even a factor in a group situation. That should be obvious and a real no brainer, but apparently some genius mind over at Bioware just didn't get the memo. This can be great solo (like space battles) but not in a group situation.

3) If you do mini-games, make 100% sure that they are very responsive. The turrets in there are just not. Their rate of fire sometimes stops, then start again, for no reason whatsoever. The delay between aiming toward an enemy and the turret actually picking it up is also horrible.

4) Remove this Flashpoint from the Dailies.

As it is now, unless you have a specific group of people you KNOW can handle this (and want to), the entire turret part is a waste of time and space and since the Colicoids Drones can shoot through walls (yay!), you can't even just farm them old fashion style.

Even though this sounds like "I cannot outgear the content so I don't like it because I have no skills and can't complete it", I agree with you. As much as I enjoy other FPs in the game, CWG is dreadful. And it's not even hard, just the design sucks.

I have no problem beating the turret section, but the OP is still correct that it's a terribly designed encounter to put into a normal mode group flashpoint, let alone at the beginning of the instance. The turrets are buggy and have bad responsiveness, and the minigame has horrible feedback such that the first time I did Colicoid it took my group maybe 4 attempts to finally figure out how the hell the damn things worked. The actual tactical parts of it are dull and repetitive and both turret sections drag on far too long to be interesting (especially if you've had to retry because you're new players learning the instance). On the other hand, when you bring experienced players who know how it works, it's a snoozefest with no challenge whatsoever.

I don't know anyone who's the least bit interested in doing Colicoid. Everyone I know who's done it hates the turret section because you can count on it to waste your time, and if you have to PUG you can be guaranteed that your new players will take multiple wipes to figure out the stupid minigame.

The little shield puzzle later on is equally tedious in that the enemies provide little real challenge (every group I've run it with just punts them off the ledge without fighting them) and it just forces you to spend time running around dropping shields.

Between the turret section and the shield puzzle you spend a distressingly large amount of time in Colicoid War Games doing things that have nothing to do with your character class, play style, talent spec, equipment, or skill level.

Edited by Antumbral

where in the games are you forced to do colicoid? don't like it? don't do it.

as for the daily, there are TWO instances per daily. just do other one. again, no one is forcing anyone to do colicoid.

1) You CANNOT have a group situation where success or failure rests on not the characters, but 100% on the players behind it, at least in a MMORPG.

don't know which MMOs you play, but if the tank/heal sucks, you're pretty much screwed. geared or not.

Edited by Graburr

If your complaint is bugs, then that's fair enough, but optional content that is different to the norm that requires a little brain power to figure out isn't a bad thing in my opinion.

The flashpoint in question really does seem to sort out those who can problem solve and those who have been railroaded by previous MMOs in to what content should be.

If your complaint is bugs, then that's fair enough, but optional content that is different to the norm that requires a little brain power to figure out isn't a bad thing in my opinion.

The flashpoint in question really does seem to sort out those who can problem solve and those who have been railroaded by previous MMOs in to what content should be.

Not "bug" per se, but total lack of responsiveness.

I'm also 100% for "out of the norm" concepts, but I'm still playing a MMORPG, not a platformer, not a FPS, not a turret defense. Anything that makes my character NOT important, in it's role and gear, has no place in this game or any other MMORPG for that matter.

Also, the only time I ran it, 2 people in the group just couldn't handle the turret part. They are decent players otherwise and are handling regular flashpoints without any problem, but between framerate issues and just not being used to aim/shoot gameplay (even worst with this one), after 15 tries (that cost us 25k in repair for each of us btw), we just gave up. These two are also terrible in space combat by the way, but it's solo so they just do their thing on their side, no problem there.

Someone can be good at something but suck at others, it happens. The number of time I've met incredible healers that just could NOT get around a map whatsoever, or great PvPers that just couldn't tank properly or heal properly...

I mean, imagine if you had to do the kind of jumping you need to get some datacrons, but simply to beat a raid boss? Well, that'd be me out because if there is one thing I cannot do (and don't want to do) it's platforming.

Since I'm playing a RPG (MMORPG? remember), I shouldn't even have to really. That's all I'm saying.

As a note, we were pretty confident that we could just kill the Colicoids without even using the turrets since as a group we can handle quite some incredible odds sometimes and figured it'd be way more interesting anyway. So we found a nice spot to cut down the line of sight from the drones and started...They SHOOT through walls! That just totally killed it for us and we left after that.

It's only one flashpoint, tzhere's no need to run it if you don't like it.

Personally I like Colicoid Wargames as it offers a interesting change of pace.

The turrets controls need a bit of tuning, but the I really liked the puzzle sequence.

Not sure why they had to make the turrets so slow and unresponsive...

It would be good if the turrets work the same as those on the spaceship which shoot fast and respond fast but these collicoid turrets really suck.

Players shouldnt have to

1) Get out and heal

or

2) Shoot the other way

just to be able to "cheat" the system and win the round.

Badly designed and implemented flashpoint.

^yes

Considering the turret rounds last about 10 min all together, I wouldn't judge the 'whole' flashpoint based on one mechanic. Using right mouse to aim the turret, it's easy enough for my guildies and myself to kill one drone before he fully gets out of the ground and kill the other before it does too much damage.

No one should be needing to get out and heal if you are doing the turret properly. If the melee bugs are getting remotely close to you something is wrong considering the turret blasts penetrate and do aoe damage.

Hoping another week or so and the majority of threads will turn into Directive 7/(maybe Tion Hege) feedback/complaint threads.

just did colicoid yesterday evening for the first time with 3 friends and yes we wiped 4-5 times in the first turret round because 1 person had troubles with targeting the mobs, but the 2nd round was a 1-shot...just have your healer jump out his/her cannon to heal you up and it's really easy.

as for the barrier game, we had fun doing that as it required a little bit of coordination, which is a nice change from the usual routine in instances.

only the last boss was kinda dull...just tank and move immediately out of the red circle...doh

1) You CANNOT have a group situation where success or failure rests on not the characters, but 100% on the players behind it, at least in a MMORPG. That's against the very definition of it.

2) NEVER, EVER, make it so the roles we all picked and played, the gear we all amassed, are not even a factor in a group situation. That should be obvious and a real no brainer, but apparently some genius mind over at Bioware just didn't get the memo. This can be great solo (like space battles) but not in a group situation.

3) If you do mini-games, make 100% sure that they are very responsive. The turrets in there are just not. Their rate of fire sometimes stops, then start again, for no reason whatsoever. The delay between aiming toward an enemy and the turret actually picking it up is also horrible.

4) Remove this Flashpoint from the Dailies.

As it is now, unless you have a specific group of people you KNOW can handle this (and want to), the entire turret part is a waste of time and space and since the Colicoids Drones can shoot through walls (yay!), you can't even just farm them old fashion style.

What are you talking about? I´ve done this with countless pugs... and not a single wipe. It´s a fun little flashpoint and easy enough to do.

I think this FP is fun. A bit different from the oter ones but it is a bit refreshing as well. You need to cooperate a bit. There is nothing wrong with that.

We failed a few times with the turrets but then we fugured out how to work together and then did the 2 turret phases easily.

The rest of the FP is fun as well. The barrier game is also interesting imo.

On the other hand i can understand why this fp can be interesting/more diffuclt for pugs.

Never had a problem with this Flashpoint, in fact I rather enjoyed something different. Nice to see something that makes people actually have to communicate, like they should on an MMO, work together instead of sit in silence and steamroll content just to get loot, even if it is a simple puzzle. The turret bit I'm not a huge fan of, but still, it was different and incredibly easy in my opinion so I'm not going to complain about free loot either.

If you're having issues with it, though I can't understand why, this is only optional content - just move on.

The turret section can be difficult at start, but once you figure out that you put 1 healer in middle and use 3 turrets to shoot the bugs it become really easy, and to make it even easier have the turret guys turn over and shoot over each others heads, that way the turrets works better too.

TL DR: Make all flashpoints more roflstomp accesible.

You are a joke.

I did this with a pug. We wiped twice on the turret part, after first wipe we figured out how turrets worked and after the second wipe we left the healer out, it was a breeze afterwards.

Also the rest of the flashpoint is really fun, I laughted a lot when we stranded each other behind the force fields and the mechanics were quite good.

It was an original flashpoint at least, if you really want yet another mindless dpsfest flashpoint you can always skip this one, honestly I don't know why are you crying here. My group was not formed from geniuses, we just needed english to communicate and we all did speak it.

Edited by Requimo

Basically what you just said is '' i want game to be easier since my teams brains do not work well and me and my teams IQ combined does not go above 100....''

GG

l2p use brain and play if you wipe twice learning it wont kill you besides you can skip it.

its a great noob destroyer... mostly only noobs are angry on it... the responsivness of turret is a problem but that makes it fun cos noobs are incapable but people with IQ above home temperature overcome the challange and laugh on noobs and idiots

Although there should be some better explanation or indication for how the turrets work at the start, overall this FP was my (and my buddies') favorite. Catwalk knockback puzzle area was just great, really let you play around with one of the few awesome mechanics this game has. Edited by boomdead

yea my problem is not with the difficulty its with the design .

1 let the players actually trigger the shots

2 give the turrets a dismount button so you don't accidentally get off

3 Turret movement may be to sensitive, I run with my mouse sensitivity pretty high and the first time i used a turret I was all over the place lol

4 and make the actually shooting more smooth the shots seemed very random i.e sometime it shot fast then others seemed very slow

Well honestly isn't classic mmo content it has nothing to do with players playing there role it is more first person shooter if anything. I would have to say I rather not have content like this in the game. The other thing it does is forces a 4th man when my 3 man team doesn't need a 4th. You can't do that without a 4th just can't cover everything you need to at the rate the bugs come. Anyways thats my two cents.

I did Colicoid for the first time in a pug. I'm a healing specced Merc, but I have never had to heal yet since I didn't do any previous FPs or heroics.

My group and I all agreed that this was a refreshing change of pace from the normal and we actually have met together every day since to rerun this FP (at least until we out leveled it).

I personally would love to see more out of the ordinary FPs like this one.

Can't agree with this at all. I wish we had more fights that required PLAYER skill as opposed to people just out gearing things 'cause they don't want to think.

Every few levels there was a quest or two with turret blasting. So I'd developed pretty good turret blasting skills and was wondering when I would be able to put them to use in a group situation.

Then I got to this instance, and suddenly it all made sense.

And even though it's hard to admit, channeling is my secret gaming delight. I really get into role playing someone holding down a button on a keyboard.

My one complaint is that I was unable to fully engage with the door channeling - to be more immersive, we should have to hold down the right mouse button for the length of the channel.