Why so much hate for remastered star wars films?

xnoxiousx

I dont understand all the hate for star wars bluray collection and so on.

Love bluray but i wish it had all unchanged movies a option.

Except for the Han shooting first part everything else i think was needed. like I said before, it helps with continuity, brings better effects and makes things look less cheesy (I mean if 4,5,6 were shot in modern day, the battles would be more epic (I mean you have to admit that CG gives you abilities to bring wonders to the screen like the Old Republic trailers)...imagine the battle of Endor if it was more CG but the live action parts stayed intact or the Empire strikes back snow battle.

Like i said, i'm all for making thing caught up with the times...if some prefer the old stuff...the can play their VHS Star Wars and let others watch the new movies.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, it boils down to Vader screaming "NO!" at the end.

On the surface, that seems like a small reason, but it's really a bigger deal than you might think.

That moment was the climax of the entire Star Wars saga. That was - for me - the single most powerful moment in the entire saga.

Vader's silent sacrifice was (again, for me) one of the single most powerful moments in film history.

To add that "NO!" is just, in my opinion, completely unnecessary and actually removes the power of that moment. Now, when I watch that scene... THE scene I watch the entire saga to get to... I'm immediately pulled out of the story by a badly rehash of a scream from an earlier film.

It was a completely unnecessary change that cheapened what was my all time favorite scene in all of Star Wars.

So that's why the blu ray edition of star wars is the only one I won't own.

Except for the Han shooting first part everything else i think was needed. like I said before, it helps with continuity, brings better effects and makes things look less cheesy (I mean if 4,5,6 were shot in modern day, the battles would be more epic (I mean you have to admit that CG gives you abilities to bring wonders to the screen like the Old Republic trailers)...imagine the battle of Endor if it was more CG but the live action parts stayed intact or the Empire strikes back snow battle.

Like i said, i'm all for making thing caught up with the times...if some prefer the old stuff...the can play their VHS Star Wars and let others watch the new movies.

If 4 were shot in the modern day there would have never been a 5. It would have been a CGI crapfest that would have been forgotten by the next CGI crapfest to come along to grab the attention of the ADD addled Ritalin generation. Well, maybe there would have been a 5, but it would have been a lot like the second Transformers, and not the movie that solidified the franchise in pop-culture immortality, The Empire Strikes Back. I just wish Geoge hadn't had the power to get rid of Kurtz when he didn't go along with his toy selling machinations. Return could have been the best movie of all. Instead, we had Ewoks.

You want to know what 4 looks like modern day, watch TPM. That's Lucas unleashed. CGI should be a dressing to make other effects look better, or to pull off something that just can't be done. Instead, directors drown movies in it. It helps to hide their pathetic dialog. Other than making Bespin look more Bespin, I can't think of one change to Star Wars that was necessary. More Mos Eisley? Not a chance. The whole Jawa falling off the ronto was dumb. Extended Jabba musical number? Are you out of your mind? Sarlac pit becoming the alien plant from Little Shop of Horrors was uneccessary. Darth Vader screaming "noooooo" has to be the most egregious change of the bunch, even leap-frogging Greedo shooting first at the top of my contempt list.

Star Wars was a decent film, a hodge-podge of better movies told from a Flash Gordon-esque pop sci-fi point of view, but a decent movie none-the-less. That George Lucas, when he made Star Wars, showed great skill at Cinematography, plus a dose of cutting edge special effects, was what got Star Wars it's accolades, not Lucas' writing. Star Wars, especially the Tatooine scenes, is a pretty film.

I'm all for re-mastering a classic like the OT for blue ray. The Godfather recently got an award winning treatment, but to continue to f**k it up with every new release, well, it's just incomprehensible.

Edited by Rikalonius

For me, it boils down to Vader screaming "NO!" at the end.

On the surface, that seems like a small reason, but it's really a bigger deal than you might think.

That moment was the climax of the entire Star Wars saga. That was - for me - the single most powerful moment in the entire saga.

Vader's silent sacrifice was (again, for me) one of the single most powerful moments in film history.

To add that "NO!" is just, in my opinion, completely unnecessary and actually removes the power of that moment. Now, when I watch that scene... THE scene I watch the entire saga to get to... I'm immediately pulled out of the story by a badly rehash of a scream from an earlier film.

It was a completely unnecessary change that cheapened what was my all time favorite scene in all of Star Wars.

Eh i dont see it as that big of a deal. But then again i did not watch star wars movies till 2000's and they were dvd not original.

After watching Episodes I, II and III, you can clearly see that Anakin hates loosing family and friends. Anakin Yelled "Nooooo" in Episode 3 because he was told that Padme died. He loved he so much.

Now, for the part where Vader yells "No, Nooo" in Episode 6, its because hes not going to let his son die, at the hands of the Emperor, who indirectly killed Padme. I find this "No, noo" completely accurate.

No need for "No, noo" if there were no prequels.

So yes it makes sense to add it but just to fit the prequels.

Edited by xnoxiousx

If 4 were shot in the modern day there would have never been a 5. It would have been a CGI crapfest that would have been forgotten by the next CGI crapfest to come along to grab the attention of the ADD addled Ritalin generation. Well, maybe there would have been a 5, but it would have been a lot like the second Transformers, and not the movie that solidified the franchise in pop-culture immortality, The Empire Strikes Back. I just wish Geoge hadn't had the power to get rid of Kurtz when he didn't go along with his toy selling machinations. Return could have been the best movie of all. Instead, we had Ewoks.

You want to know what 4 looks like modern day, watch TPM. That's Lucas unleashed. CGI should be a dressing to make other effects look better, or to pull off something that just can't be done. Instead, directors drown movies in it. It helps to hide their pathetic dialog. Other than making Bespin look more Bespin, I can't think of one change to Star Wars that was necessary. More Mos Eisley? Not a chance. The whole Jawa falling off the ronto was dumb. Extended Jabba musical number? Are you out of your mind? Sarlac pit becoming the alien plant from Little Shop of Horrors was uneccessary. Darth Vader screaming "noooooo" has to be the most egregious change of the bunch, even leap-frogging Greedo shooting first at the top of my contempt list.

Star Wars was a decent film, a hodge-podge of better movies told from a Flash Gordon-esque pop sci-fi point of view, but a decent movie none-the-less. That George Lucas, when he made Star Wars, showed great skill at Cinematography, plus a dose of cutting edge special effects, was what got Star Wars it's accolades, not Lucas' writing. Star Wars, especially the Tatooine scenes, is a pretty film.

I'm all for re-mastering a classic like the OT for blue ray. The Godfather recently got an award winning treatment, but to continue to f**k it up with every new release, well, it's just incomprehensible.

Eh might just be me. I enjoy movies im not a super hardcore fan or critic i watch movies for fun and so on i dont pay to much attention to all little things movie diehards do.

Eh i dont see it as that big of a deal. But then again i did not watch star wars movies till 2000's and they were dvd not original.

After watching Episodes I, II and III, you can clearly see that Anakin hates loosing family and friends. Anakin Yelled "Nooooo" in Episode 3 because he was told that Padme died. He loved he so much.

Now, for the part where Vader yells "No, Nooo" in Episode 6, its because hes not going to let his son die, at the hands of the Emperor, who indirectly killed Padme. I find this "No, noo" completely accurate.

No need for "No, noo" if there were no prequels.

So yes it makes sense to add it but just to fit the prequels.

Perfectly valid opinion. I disagree, but it's probably just because that moment holds a special place for me. It just felt like a punch in the face. The "No!" sounds dubbed in, cheesy, and weak (again, just my opinion).

Personally, I wish Lucas would just remake episodes 4, 5, and 6. Now, before everyone comes after me with Force FX lightsabers, I want him to remake them so he can have films that match up perfectly to the prequels... thereby leaving the films I grew up with alone. A remake doesn't replace the original. I still have the original Clash of the Titans, the original Fright Night, and the original Conan the Barbarian, even though there were remakes.

But what Lucas is doing is far worse than a remake. He's erasing the movie I love. He's replacing it with something I don't like and making the one I love unavailable. I just think that's a shame.

If the originals aren't the movies he "always wanted to make" then he should make those movies and leave the originals alone.

I find it ironic that he's doing this when he stood so strongly against colorization because he said it defaced the art of the original.

Perfectly valid opinion. I disagree, but it's probably just because that moment holds a special place for me. It just felt like a punch in the face. The "No!" sounds dubbed in, cheesy, and weak (again, just my opinion).

Personally, I wish Lucas would just remake episodes 4, 5, and 6. Now, before everyone comes after me with Force FX lightsabers, I want him to remake them so he can have films that match up perfectly to the prequels... thereby leaving the films I grew up with alone. A remake doesn't replace the original. I still have the original Clash of the Titans, the original Fright Night, and the original Conan the Barbarian, even though there were remakes.

But what Lucas is doing is far worse than a remake. He's erasing the movie I love. He's replacing it with something I don't like and making the one I love unavailable. I just think that's a shame.

If the originals aren't the movies he "always wanted to make" then he should make those movies and leave the originals alone.

I find it ironic that he's doing this when he stood so strongly against colorization because he said it defaced the art of the original.

Yea i kinda agree he should just do a full remake if he wants update them and keep the original.

There already making all star wars movies in 3d... Not sure how 4-6 are gonna work but episode 1 in 3d comes out this early Q1 of this year.

Love them all. Always will. Sometimes people just get too picky about stuff.

And I watched them first back in about 1981. ( was not old enough to watch Ep 4 in cinema, but saw them all when ROTJ came out in the movies)

It's kind of like Leonardo devinci comming back and painting Mona lisa with her thumbs up. Whiel some stuff added in is reasonable, like Jabba at mos eisley talking to Han, but other things like han shooting first is bad because it Degrades the character. Or in return, that whole Musical number... I can't honestly watch that. it's soo unnecessary. the reason things were the way they were back then was because people (like the directors, actors, producers, other writers) would actually tell him "no george, that's stupid and doesn't work well". Now a days, every one is kissing his hutt like behind because he's got money, but all of his ideas are still bad. Just look at Cartoon network. George makes the clone wars, and it's bad. Cartoon network makes the cartoon, and it's good. George Lucas take the cartoon, and makes it bad. Cartoon network takes the bad and makes it better. Lucas only cares about the money. that's obvious, that's been obvious since day one. Even in interviews when asked questions he will pull the answers out of his butt and suddely it's Canon. Don't believe me, just look up Obi-wan and the planet StewJon....

The hate is because he doesn't care about something great and cheapens it any chance he gets just to make a buck.

I think for most OT fans its just another knife to the back, via their prespective of course. For this generation of fan post OT lucas has been such let down on so many levels that each adjustment or even product lucas puts out just metaphorical kicks the man while he is down. The whole process is akin to idol you've say modelled aspects of your life after going down a self destructive pathway (drug, mental breakdown, etc..) and watching each detail unfold.

The hate is because he doesn't care about something great and cheapens it any chance he gets just to make a buck.

a lot of it is a fit of narcassium where he needs to establish that it is his art, if you watch any of the documentaries on lucas or starwars, it clearly establishes his need for autonomy with his work which he is willing to go to any lengths to establish (see the cause and affect of using the famous opening craw) and his personal feelings over being george "starwars" Lucas rather than just george lucas.

Like all great producers of human achievement he is eccentric, and usually by the time they hit that twilight stage of life things get messy and erract. I honestly think he is remaking the film and producing star wars products at this stage out of a want for continued expression rather than just making a buck. (and hopefully thats the case).

I honestly hope the next star wars flims are set in an era outside 1-6. SW definitely needs to evolve, cinema imo as well, and i would love to see it bring campie into a viable viewing experience again. The option of physcologically dizzying or out and out pull you into tramua to mainfest an experience have taken the magic out of movies, and what made SW 4-6 so profound was that it made happily ever after acceptable at every level for people. The era is set for it, 1979 american morale and cinema feeding off paranoia, hopeless, and decay.... 2012 much the same. :cool:

It's kind of like Leonardo devinci comming back and painting Mona lisa with her thumbs up. Whiel some stuff added in is reasonable, like Jabba at mos eisley talking to Han, but other things like han shooting first is bad because it Degrades the character. Or in return, that whole Musical number... I can't honestly watch that. it's soo unnecessary. the reason things were the way they were back then was because people (like the directors, actors, producers, other writers) would actually tell him "no george, that's stupid and doesn't work well". Now a days, every one is kissing his hutt like behind because he's got money, but all of his ideas are still bad. Just look at Cartoon network. George makes the clone wars, and it's bad. Cartoon network makes the cartoon, and it's good. George Lucas take the cartoon, and makes it bad. Cartoon network takes the bad and makes it better. Lucas only cares about the money. that's obvious, that's been obvious since day one. Even in interviews when asked questions he will pull the answers out of his butt and suddely it's Canon. Don't believe me, just look up Obi-wan and the planet StewJon....

I heard there were only a few drafts of the scripts for episode one... Any writer worth anythin edits repeatedly and then someone else edits it. Lucas surrounds himself with brown nosing yes men. It's amazing how bad ep1-3 are, not to mention for a moment Indy jones four :/

To be clear, I don't mind the changes he's made. I don't mind remakes of my favorite movies or bad movies based on my favorite books. I still have the original, so I don't care what they do with some other version.

My problem is George's attempts to take away the original. That's the offense, in my opinion. He's not adding to history. He's replacing it.

As new forms of media evolve, we can get all the great classics on Blu Ray, from old TV shows to old movies.

But not the original Star Wars. He wants to force us to buy and watch the tinkered ones.

As a writer and an artist, I find that a little repugnant.

Edited by Vecke

I watched Return of the Jedi recently and I honestly think that the Battle of Endor (space battle) looks BETTER and feels MORE REAL than any space battles they put in the Prequels.

NO ONE cares if Lucas simply touched up the graphics a little but he had to go off tinkering with Boba Fett's accent and making Hayden Christensen appear as Darth Vader's ghost like some sort of OCD perfectionist.

Great Post!

George Lucas to his team;

"I know, we have legions of 20,30,40 year old+ ADULT Star Wars fans out there dying for another Star Wars film so lets make..........................a KIDS MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Imagine Chris Rock's Ruby Rod when he asks his entourage how his Radio show went if you want to know how the folks around George Lucas act when he comes up with an idea.

I heard there were only a few drafts of the scripts for episode one... Any writer worth anythin edits repeatedly and then someone else edits it. Lucas surrounds himself with brown nosing yes men. It's amazing how bad ep1-3 are, not to mention for a moment Indy jones four :/

if you ever get a chance read the original draft of A New Hope. It is god awful.

It's like a bad remake of Star Wars. It has some things that are familer but then other things are just weird like Vader isn't a Sith he is actually just an Admiral like Grand Moff Tarkin.

Thank god that movie never got made and instead he rewrote it several times.

It was a completely unnecessary change that cheapened what was my all time favorite scenes* in all of Star Wars.

I agree, so many changes makes NO sense at all. I think Lucas is just retarded nowdays. I have seen the updated versions one time, and i dident even finish.

They are impossible to watch. I mean he RUINS Solos char in just 1 sec, ruined for all movies with one stupid little thing.

Before extra shot was added he was cold, ruthless, fast. Now he is just a lucky guy.

so here is my problem with the CG Upgrades to the original trilogy.

I just rewatched A New Hope on Blu ray and you know what? The CG Looks awful.

The Jaba the Hutt scene looks dated and fake. The CG does not hold up to todays standards. Jabba in Episode 1 looks good but in A New Hope he looks so freaking horrible.

Also Jaba looked the most realistic when he was a puppet in Return of the Jedi.

CG man it just looks fake.

You need to look at it from his perspective. Lucas knows damn well that anything with "Star Wars" in its name will be immensely popular. The movies will destroy the box office and the merchandise will sell like crazy. And then release the movies every few years with a few edits and keep making money off the same exact thing.

He doesn't need to make it good. He just needs to make it. He's like the best businessman in the world. The Wall Street nubs have nothing on him.