Sage, the paper dog king of all mmo's!

LuciferinDNA

You know, Flanking had a quite impressive radius of effect. 270 degree since it works all the time except when in front. When you play a character with Flanking as well, you could do some circle straffing, as both of you tend to be with Flanking effective. But when you don't have it, and you don't have a way to avoid melee, it shows to be an hindrance.

And when I played with my Witch Elf (why did they never fix suffering), if both me and my opponent were straffing, i was the one who started straffing, most of the times I was able to hit with my positional stun and if I wasn't I couldn't. It meant that when you've been attacked by a Choppa, Slayer, Witch Elf or Witch Hunter, which have attacks to use from the back, there were high chances that they still had the upper hand on you. It was especially risky if you also depend on avoidance.

It was safe to sometimes break the straffing with a little back ped making the opponent in front, and letting you choose when to straf again (and giving you the upper hand).

There are also situations where circle straffing was a plain bad idea : what will happen if as a tank I circle straf around a WH in a group fight ? When I'll be half round, I'll just show my back to all the Bright Wizards and others in the backline and at this point, I could as well dump my shield. I followed the same reasoning if I had to use some 100% avoidance type abilities (except for disruption which works at 360 degree), it is much more effective if nobody's behind me.

And concerning the fact that back ped works only if the opponent let go with it, it's wrong. It's just that you didn't face someone good at it. In a game with collision management, you will never find the back of a peddler who knows what he's doing.

But I think we go a bit too much off-topic.

Eh, I can see this turning into a never ending opinion vs opinion rant. If you're happy using back peddling by all means stick with it, it'll be a cold day in hell before I do.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sage dps is definitly the worst class (on the other side, sage/sorc healer is pretty ok... 4 sec of stunning an opponent means 100% hp restore)... most of those who are not agree are either newbies who didnt play enough sage/sorc, either bad talk people.

yet, for those with sage/sorc chararacters... when is the last time you've done 5000+ crit? or how many of those have you done? (if you succeded every wz doing that, teach us, Master!)

also, when is the last time you won a 1v1 against another class (except sage/sorc) at the same gear lvl? how many 1v1 do you have?

if some of you kids are not yet convinced about the useless sage/sorc dps class (i'm not talking with those who didnt play sage/sorc dps, and yet posting here that sage is op) we can analyze the dps specs, rotation; you tell me what you consider that can work, and i demonstrate that is useless :)

sage dps is definitly the worst class (on the other side, sage/sorc healer is pretty ok... 4 sec of stunning an opponent means 100% hp restore)... most of those who are not agree are either newbies who didnt play enough sage/sorc, either bad talk people.

yet, for those with sage/sorc chararacters... when is the last time you've done 5000+ crit? or how many of those have you done? (if you succeded every wz doing that, teach us, Master!)

also, when is the last time you won a 1v1 against another class (except sage/sorc) at the same gear lvl? how many 1v1 do you have?

if some of you kids are not yet convinced about the useless sage/sorc dps class (i'm not talking with those who didnt play sage/sorc dps, and yet posting here that sage is op) we can analyze the dps specs, rotation; you tell me what you consider that can work, and i demonstrate that is useless :)

I consider the 650k i do as sage dps acceptable.

I can defeat anyone 1 on 1 except the very best asassins / carnage maras / PT's on the server.

Here's how: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=573647

Debate away...

Edited by Ycoga

I can defeat anyone 1 on 1 except the very best asassins / carnage maras / PT's on the server.

Debate away...

Seems not a bad build, I was always wondering to make an alacrity based Sage..

By the way, the 0.8 TT you can reach just true psychic projection + mental alacrity if I'm not mistaken (so max in every 2 minute for ones) ?

My build has 1000+ power (I don't remember now how much exactly, but I get as much power, as much is possible vs gambling with critic)

I can cast a 7000K + single heal with force mend with this amount of power. Do you think, that its worth to get a full alacrity sett?

I do not bad dmg as well, but can't compare it with my DPS (grav round) commando, what is not even the best dps in the game...

By the way, the 0.8 TT you can reach just true psychic projection + mental alacrity if I'm not mistaken (so max in every 2 minute for ones) ?

Good question. Without mental alac, you'll get between 1.1 and 2.2 seconds - still very fast even without MA, I'm sure you'd agree.

When mental alac kicks in you can get 0.8.

One of the reasons this works is because of psychic projection proccing on a base alac of 20 - 25%.

I can cast a 7000K + single heal with force mend with this amount of power. Do you think, that its worth to get a full alacrity sett?

Erm, I can't answer that for you; you have your own playstyle!

I do not bad dmg as well, but can't compare it with my DPS (grav round) commando, what is not even the best dps in the game...

I like alac because its hard to imagine the speed it functions at without actually trying it out. People are not prepared for it and I routinely kill any people after 1 bubblepop and 1 knockback. They just don't expect 5k damage from a sage in 1 GCD (TT + FiB, for example) - and procs occur very often when your TT is so fast.

8k damage, bubblepop, force speed to max range, force potency and TT, 6500 damage. FiB, proc'd MindCrush, TT. Dead. They're still walking towards me after the knocback when they die.

Edited by Ycoga

Good question. Without mental alac, you'll get between 1.1 and 2.2 seconds - still very fast even without MA, I'm sure you'd agree.

When mental alac kicks in you can get 0.8.

One of the reasons this works is because of psychic projection proccing on a base alac of 20 - 25%.

Erm, I can't answer that for you; you have your own playstyle!

I like alac because its hard to imagine the speed it functions at without actually trying it out. People are not prepared for it and I routinely kill any people after 1 bubblepop and 1 knockback. They just don't expect 5k damage from a sage in 1 GCD (TT + FiB, for example) - and procs occur very often when your TT is so fast.

8k damage, bubblepop, force speed to max range, force potency and TT, 6500 damage. FiB, proc'd MindCrush, TT. Dead. They're still walking towards me after the knocback when they die.

I will try it for sure , )

Debate away...

dude, are you serious? do you think that doing damage is the same with doing useful damage? i usually do 400k dmg + 150k healing, with a spec relatively closer to the one posted by you. all this in random pugs. but this is not so useful, when their healer heals 50% of my dmg.

you said that you can defeat anyone except those. funny, there are not many left. i can bet anything that a medium dps smasher jugger will kill you without losing 50% hp (i ate a 7.3k crit from a jugger less geared then me. and i was wh + weapon, offhand ewh). the new sniper can beat you if you dont have something to hide behind (before 1.5 patch snipers were my solo kill, now are more powerfull), a 30% healing operative can kill any non-healer sage, without much effort. (ps. on my ungeared assassin i can kill any non full-balance spec sage)

Beside, your build is not optimized, and also your rotation has useless steps.

you say:

"Bubble > Weaken mind > Mental alacrity > Force potency > TKThrow > Mind crush (proc) > Disturbance (proc) > Force in Balance"

why do you use force potency on 1-2 abilities that dont do the maximum damage? in this case the TkThrow will do 4500dmg instead of 3600 :)

why do you use mental alacrity if you dont use disturbance next? this ability was definitely build for group attacks, when you are not focused (because the enemies focus healer) and you can use weaken mind, turbulence (!!crit), disturbance until proc (!! force potency) telekinetic wave (!!crit)[...] anyway, most of the ppl see mental alacrity fast, and will stun, push, or hide for a couple of seconds.

i played full balance, full tk, 3-4 kinds of hybrid, i have the feeling that i know alot of this class. for example i modded 2 kind of wh gear (before ewh gear): 1 with power and surge, and one with alacrity. i can tell, the one with power gives a much more chances to survive (until someone helps), slightly more dmg. i play on TOFN, we can meet and test what i'm saying :)

Edited by Dasaev

The bubble is the only defense tool for Sage, the bubble's power depends on power, willpower and force power, so it depends on bonus healing how much dmg it can absorb. Expertise gives bonus to healing and it don't improve force armor (the bubble) Thats one of the reason, way Sage goes down so easy after 50. But it won't be a wise fix to improve bubble by expertise, because its already makes indestructible classes immortal.

Force Armor doesn't need to be made bigger by Expertise because it's not affected by Trauma: the explicit reason that Expertise *does* affect heals is because of the Trauma debuff. Force Armor actually *does* get some benefit based on Expertise because it doesn't reduce incoming damage pre-mitigation; it reduces incoming damage after all other sources of mitigation (of which Expertise is one). As such, Force Armor is augmented by the target's Expertise rather than your own. You might have a problem with that, but, keep in mind, Force Armor's ability to contribute in real value has always been affected just as much by the target's stats as by your own (even in PvE, Force Armor will mitigate more pre-mitigation damage when it's placed on a tank rather than a DPS)