Favorite Villain?

CourtneyWoods

For character/motivation, I've always loved the Villain (often a Villain Protagonist) who wants to rule the country/world/galaxy/whatever because they think they're simply the best person for the job, and usually have the gravitas and/or skills to back it up. In their twisted mind they may justify it as an obligation to the world, or they just see nothing at all wrong with dominating their environment, including other people.

Dr. Doom in comics (depending on the writer, but especially in the old Doom 2099 series) or Kain in the Legacy of Kain video games are the big examples for me.

From a style perspective, I still love cultured, arrogant, aloof villains, who turn out to be frightening competent fighters when they need to get their hands dirty. I will readily admit, however, that it has been done to death and is often handled very poorly.

Mads Mikkelsen does it well in the new Hannibal series, Megabyte from Reboot, Azula from Avatar, and Ra's al Ghul from the Batman comics (particularly David Warner's portrayal in the Animated Series).

I do have to give props to the Mayor from Buffy, the first genuinely original TV villain I'd seen in ages.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently my favorite villains are the Detweiler family from Weber's Honor Harrington series. There is just something fascinating about people who can be so lovingly supportive of one another while discussing using nuclear weaponry on their own people to cover up their escape tracks.

Movie: Platoon- Staff Sargent Barnes

Book: Baron Harkonnen-Dune (sorry i mixed it up lol)

TV series: Person of Interest- Root

On the other hand, what is your favorite Hero Courtney?

Edited by Trooperclay
emphasis

Hey everyone,

Thought I would pop in here and contribute to the land of off-topicness. As some of you may or may not know, my major in college was "Villainy in literature, film, and other media." I spent four years reading/watching/playing different mediums and focusing on the villains in those mediums - everything from Iago to Voldemort.

So my question to you is do you have a favorite villain? If so, what do you think makes them a great villain?

Literature: Moriarty Why: Because he always had a plan. He had goals (typically maintaining his criminal empire etc). Not to mention he was brilliant,precise,methodical and efficient yet could change and adapt when necessary. As such he was probably the most effective and dangerous villain to date.

Film: Khan (Star Trekl II) Why: He had a reason for being the way he was originally (he was made that way after all),he felt the need for revenge (you would too watching those you felt responsible for die over the years) and he had the mental and physical condition to be a credible threat yet didnt have all that large of an ego that could be manipulated. His anger could as could his overconfidence,but not his ego (which we see all too often in film)

Comic: Deathstroke the Terminator (original version). Why: It takes a certain kind of person that after going through DC comics' version of the super soldier program,doing many missions for the US govt and being betrayed by them(when he has to rescue a friend from a suicide assignment given by a corrupt officer), tells them off and goes merc. To him being a villain originally was just a job he was hired to do (and partly it seemed for the challenge of it). It was also nice to see what an amoral version of marvels Captain America would be like.

Hey everyone,

Thought I would pop in here and contribute to the land of off-topicness. As some of you may or may not know, my major in college was "Villainy in literature, film, and other media." I spent four years reading/watching/playing different mediums and focusing on the villains in those mediums - everything from Iago to Voldemort.

So my question to you is do you have a favorite villain? If so, what do you think makes them a great villain?

I just want to say, that sounds like the greatest major EVER.

Now, from a literary standpoint, Ishamael, or Elan Morin Tedronai, from the Wheel of Time series. He is a character so aware of the nature of the series he's in, that in order to cope with the stress of knowing, he intentionally drives himself insane, and he serves as the perfect example of what would happen should the hero of the story turn evil. Runners up are Lanfear and Demandred of the same series.

From film, I'd have to hand it to Magneto of the X-Men film franchise, in part because of the acting talent of Ian McKellen, and partly because the character is just one that is so believable, from his motivations, to the delivery, to the fact that no matter how far he crosses the line, he still believes he's working for the good of everyone. Runners up: Darth Vader, Saruman, and the Joker (The Dark Knight version).

From video games, Ganondorf of the Legend of Zelda franchise, with special mentions to Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess's depictions. No big revelations, just a big, classic villain out for power, but one that has stood above the rest in my mind, in part due to nostalgia, but also because of how, unlike other recurring villains like, say, Bowser of the Mario games, Ganondorf always feels like a serious threat, and when he makes his appearance, he feels imposing. Runners up: Darth Jadus of The Old Republic, Sovereign of Mass Effect, and Majora's Mask of the Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.

Like many people have already said in this thread, some of the best villains are characters who start off with good intentions, but their execution is what makes them "evil." A character's motivation, particularly the villain's, is what often drives the plot forward.

Which is why I am not really a fan of LotR or even DA:O (despite its fresh take on Elves). The Villain or Evil Thing is just "evil", it has no motivation. OK, in Sauron's case maybe power.

My favourite villains at the moment:

TV: Walther White. Don't kid yourself, he IS the villain. Proof? He drove an Aztek! Second place would be Glorificus for style and zaniness. Moriarty from Sherlock is also awesome.

Movie: Roy Batty from Blade Runner

Games: Tough. After some consideration, I nominate the antagonist from the very first Need for Speed.

Uuuuuh, I just saw, somebody mentioned Kefka. How could I forget about HIM! Best Final Fantasy, too.

Books: Wintermute

Comics:

Adrian Veidt/Ozymandias from Watchmen

Edited by InsaneBase

In games in general, I have to go with Miraak (Skyrim: Dragonborn). That guy steals the souls of dragons you killed yourself! My blood boiled whenever I saw his masked face....

SWTOR, I'd have to say Malgus. Mainly, because he wasn't just a pure evil villain. He was fighting to end racism in the Empire, he just was going about doing so.....evilly?

Movies, I'd have to say I'm torn between Darth Vader and The Joker (The Dark Knight version).

For literature, Darth Caedus. Very interesting character.

This is definitely a difficult one.... so many choices!

Book: Jagang from the Sword of Truth series. Quite ruthless and unforgiving, and he invades dreams.

Movie: the ultimate villain?? Why, the Vacuum of space! Unbeatable more-or-less

Video game: Sephiroth, no question there. A singularly focused bundle of walking genocide due to Mommy issues.

T.V. Series: Joe Carroll of "The Following". Chilling, devious, and completely cold.

Holy crap, this pretty much read my mind...Except for the Movie Villain. As for movie I would have to go with the shark from Jaws...lol, j/k. I would actually have a tie between Hannibal Lector and Heath Ledger's version of Joker.

• 3 weeks later...
If I said that my favorite villain was Eric Musco because of proliferating shady business practices from EA, I'd probably get banned.

So I'm not going to say it.

It doesn't matter. The fact that you have to willingly and voluntarily pay BioWare and thusly EA to post that here renders it completely impotent and void of substance. ;)

Edited by TheBBP

Definitely VOLDEMORT from HARRY POTTER: YOU KnOW WHAT franchise

Someone who has an IQ of under 2 looses but always comes back to achieve ultimate victory and make the order of phoenix ask the question « hero or madman? » is a true villain in my book

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool: