New Sniper Bugs in 2.0? Covered Escape and Entrench

Moogleking

I've been trying out the new Covered Escape and entrench talents and I'm seeing some very inconsistent behavior.

Covered Escape:

The ability says it removes movement impairing effects, however, the ability is greyed out when I am rooted and I can't use it. Is this a bug?

I think the operative's roll doesn't let you roll when rooted, but this one is supposed to break roots and it isn't.

I was seeing this with the roots from warriors (leaps + marauder roots).

Seek Cover:

This talent says you get immunity from movement impairing effects upon Entrench ending.

I used Covered Escape, which with the Portable Bunker talent gives you Entrench. Once I got Entrench (you can actually move before you get it, this seems like another bug!), I left cover and tried to move forward, but I was rooted in place by enemy players. Are they rooting me while still in Entrench and then leaving Entrench doesn't break the root? Or maybe the root got cast while the roll was occurring but before Entrench?

Either way, this seems like buggy/inconsistent behavior.

I would expect to be able to use Covered Escape while rolling, then immediately exit cover and gain Seek Cover, allowing me to run without being rooted (I was not stunned during this time at all, as I could still use other abilities).

Has anyone else seen these issues?

I just hit a new one.

I was in a Novare Coast on my sniper, and was getting attacked by a marauder.

I used Covered Escape at the exact same time he used some root (I guess), and it rolled me away then I teleported back to where I was.

After that, the root lasted forever, even after 20s I could not use covered escape again or move at all. After I died, I could not move in the spawn room at all, and was forced to exit the warzone because I was permanently rooted.

I just hit a new one.

I was in a Novare Coast on my sniper, and was getting attacked by a marauder.

I used Covered Escape at the exact same time he used some root (I guess), and it rolled me away then I teleported back to where I was.

After that, the root lasted forever, even after 20s I could not use covered escape again or move at all. After I died, I could not move in the spawn room at all, and was forced to exit the warzone because I was permanently rooted.

I had the exact same bug. Not sure if it was caused by the same thing. But I was also stuck, until I was killed, then I was stuck in the spawner. And, yes. I tried /stuck with no luck.

Same, covered escape doesn't work when i'm rooted and you can actually leave cover before entrench pops after a covered escape with portable bunker, missing your seeking cover buff.

I've also been stunned while using covered escape, was teleported back and then i was stuck in the respawn until i got kicked out...

The most frequent bug I have experienced involves my mouse disappearing after a covered escape. I click the screen to recover my mouse icon but, in the mean time, its stuck in mouse aim mode. Its becoming rather annoying for this frequent pvper.

• Dev Post
Covered Escape:

The ability says it removes movement impairing effects, however, the ability is greyed out when I am rooted and I can't use it. Is this a bug?

I think the operative's roll doesn't let you roll when rooted, but this one is supposed to break roots and it isn't.

I was seeing this with the roots from warriors (leaps + marauder roots).

Thanks for the bug reports! As for the issue I have quoted, that is actually working as designed. The term "movement-impairing effects" refers to snares or slows, and you should notice that those effects are removed when you use Covered Escape. However, if you are rooted or immobilized, you won't be able to use Covered Escape - again that is as designed.

Though I do see how the phrasing used is quite confusing, because it seems quite logical that root or immobilization effects "impair" movement. So I'll try to get that phrasing changed before people start trying to stretch "movement-impairing effects" to cover stuns, sleeps, and heck...death also keeps you from moving. ;)

As for the other issues reported in this thread, we are looking into them and attempting to get solid reproduction cases so that we can get them fixed.

If you're looking at Sniper, would it be possible to get an official answer (and fix if required) on the use of Diversion (the Marksman smoke grenade ability) against an Entrenched Sniper.

I've not been able to test it fully myself yet, but from talking to others it seems that Diversion knocks you out of Cover, per it's description, but not Entrench. So you're now stood up, unable to cast Cover abilities, but still have the CC protections of Entrench.

If would seem, to me, that if it was supposed to work against Entrenched Snipers that it would cancel both Cover and Entrench, rather than just Cover.

Be good to hear a "working as intended" or "we'll look at fixing" answer.

Thanks for the bug reports! As for the issue I have quoted, that is actually working as designed. The term "movement-impairing effects" refers to snares or slows, and you should notice that those effects are removed when you use Covered Escape. However, if you are rooted or immobilized, you won't be able to use Covered Escape - again that is as designed.

Though I do see how the phrasing used is quite confusing, because it seems quite logical that root or immobilization effects "impair" movement. So I'll try to get that phrasing changed before people start trying to stretch "movement-impairing effects" to cover stuns, sleeps, and heck...death also keeps you from moving. ;)

As for the other issues reported in this thread, we are looking into them and attempting to get solid reproduction cases so that we can get them fixed.

Thanks for the heads up!

The permanent root issue is of the utmost importance to fix. In fact, this is a problem that has happened in the game for a very long time and just happens with greater frequency to players using the Sniper/Operative rolls. Fixing it in general would be of enormous importance as well.

Thanks for this. I was wondering why I couldn't use Covered Escape while Rooted. Now I understand. Probably should change the "movement-impairing effects" wording though.

Thanks for the response David, however, I don't think your statement agrees with what "movement-impairing effects" has been used to mean on other abilities.

Take the Assassin talent Disjunction or the Sorceror talent Fadeout. These abilities make Force Speed break roots and slows. This is the EXACT same wording as Covered Escape. So it appears either these talents are broken and incorrectly breaking roots when they are supposed to only break stuns, or the Sniper ability is broken.

Covered Escape is a pretty poor escape compared to those talents or the BH Hydraulic Overrides, since you can't actually escape if you're being rooted. Whereas those abilities that say they break "movement-impairing effects" actually do break them.

Edited by Moogleking

Bioware should fix this language everywhere it appears; I'm pretty sure it's used in Force Speed, Hydraulic Overrides, etc. A reasonable person would read "movement-impairing" to include roots. No need to get chippy and add death to the list. Just be specific about what it covers and doesn't. This one's on Bioware, not users who took the tool-tip to mean what it says. I remember being surprised that roots were not covered when BW introduced a new talent for Sorcs that allowed them to be free from "movement-impairing" abilities during Force Speed, even though roots still could impair your movement.

The thing is, roots ARE covered by the sorcerer and assassin talents.

Covered Escape is the only ability in the game that says it breaks movement-impairing effects and does not break roots.

There is even a talent in Lethality that breaks roots on Countermeasures. Guess what it says as the text!

Well that does explain why i'm always the only one who gets trapped in the last boss of Cademimu hardmode.

Everyone else seems to have some way of escaping, from the shackles.

That also makes covered Escape a rather poor escape ability.

edit-

is Entrench supposed to work against the first boss of Karagga's Palace knockback? cause it isn't doing anything for me.

Edited by Nyysjan

• 2 weeks later...
Annoying that this is the only ability in the game that says 'removes movement impairing effects' that doesn't include roots. Literally every other ability/talent present in this game does. Either change the wording or allow Covered Escape to remove movement impairing effects. Not a hard concept to understand.

Thanks for the response David, however, I don't think your statement agrees with what "movement-impairing effects" has been used to mean on other abilities.

Take the Assassin talent Disjunction or the Sorceror talent Fadeout. These abilities make Force Speed break roots and slows. This is the EXACT same wording as Covered Escape. So it appears either these talents are broken and incorrectly breaking roots when they are supposed to only break stuns, or the Sniper ability is broken.

Covered Escape is a pretty poor escape compared to those talents or the BH Hydraulic Overrides, since you can't actually escape if you're being rooted. Whereas those abilities that say they break "movement-impairing effects" actually do break them.

THIS. I'm tired of the confusing wording. It happens all the time. And they just say "working as intended". No it's not! If movement impairing effects include roots and immobilization for Sins and BH's, then they should include Agents as well. I'm tired of this happening so often.

While you're at it give the Powertech 100% damage on CGC as well.

• 3 weeks later...
Forgot if it was mentioned in this thread already or not, but also when you use Covered Escape and try to move forward at all using the keyboard, it will not work until the duration ends. You have to use the mouse buttons. This may seem like a minor bug, but it's game breaking. Can't count the number of times this has lost me a PvP match when I need to use my mouse to position the camera and I go to use the W key so I can move forward only for me to be stuck in place and die. Same goes for Ops. I was in an EC HM tonight on Kephess and used Covered Escape and went to use the W key to move to the droid while using the mouse to reposition the camera and ended up dying because I wouldn't move despite obviously using the W key which moves me any other time while not using Covered Escape. Fix this bug, please. Edited by Eyesmindassassin